PDA

View Full Version : unusual combos that work

Aleolus
2015-06-14, 04:35 PM
As the name implies, this thread is for listing combinations of magic items, classes and/or feats that you may not think of putting together but that work surprisingly well.

For instance: a Bag of Holding and a Bottle of Air makes the perfect prison for anyone you want to keep alive without risk to the group

Karl Aegis
2015-06-14, 05:07 PM
Cunning Strike (Dungeonscape 17) + Knife to the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#knifetotheSoul) because the rules are silly.

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 05:26 PM
For instance: a Bag of Holding and a Bottle of Air makes the perfect prison for anyone you want to keep alive without risk to the groupThrow in a ring of sustenance too for long-term storage.

Cunning Strike (Dungeonscape 17) + Knife to the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#knifetotheSoul) because the rules are silly.I doubt that you are supposed to be able to exchange the sneak attack damage for ability damage.

Bag of holding and sharp object: permanently get rid of unwanted stuff.

Aleolus
2015-06-14, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately, no. If a bag of holding is cut or torn then all the stuff in it spills out

eggynack
2015-06-14, 05:35 PM
For instance: a Bag of Holding and a Bottle of Air makes the perfect prison for anyone you want to keep alive without risk to the group
Doesn't really work. First, the bag can be ruptured from the inside, which as I will note below will lead to the creature's death. Second, it's odd but the suffocation clause isn't linked to anything, so by pure RAW they die with or without the bottle.

Unfortunately, no. If a bag of holding is cut or torn then all the stuff in it spills out
No, that's what happens when you flip the bag inside out. By the text, "If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever."

Venger
2015-06-14, 05:36 PM
Throw in a ring of sustenance too for long-term storage.

I doubt that you are supposed to be able to exchange the sneak attack damage for ability damage.

Bag of holding and sharp object: permanently get rid of unwanted stuff.

as per weaponlike spell rules in complete arcane, when doing ability damage or negative levels, the precision damage turns into negative energy damage instead.

nauseate a target and blast him with choking sands. he now cannot take the fullround to cough up the sand and suffocates. difficult to gain immunity to.

Aleolus
2015-06-14, 05:42 PM
Doesn't really work. First, the bag can be ruptured from the inside, which as I will note below will lead to the creature's death. Second, it's odd but the suffocation clause isn't linked to anything, so by pure RAW they die with or without the bottle.

No, that's what happens when you flip the bag inside out. By the text, "If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever."

The definition of suffocation is not being able to breathe, the bottle of air provides an unlimited supply of air to breathe. How does that not work?

eggynack
2015-06-14, 05:50 PM
The definition of suffocation is not being able to breathe, the bottle of air provides an unlimited supply of air to breathe. How does that not work?
I dunno. Game just says you suffocate. It's a strict reading, but it seems to be an accurate one. Not like it says, "You suffocate in ten minutes unless you can provide an air source." Maybe the nondimensional space eats all the air, because that's just a quality of that space. I mean, the ten minutes thing doesn't even really make sense within its own context, particularly because it doesn't seem to care how many creatures are in the space, and you can presumably toss a second creature into the bag of holding after the first has been there for nine minutes, and it'll live for ten minutes. I'm inclined to think that each object in a bag of holding is housed completely separately from every object, and that object-space just happens to contain exactly ten minutes of air. That seems to solve a lot of the oddities, I think, though it's just a shot in the dark.

Derpldorf
2015-06-14, 06:38 PM
The elvencraft longbow is the single most versatile weapon that I have been able to find.

It functions as both a longbow and quarterstaff and can be enchanted and augmented as both, including three wand chambers (one for bow, one for each end of the staff). The staff can be made into a magic staff or a runestaff of whatever flavor you prefer.

Depending on how you choose to enchant it and what wand you use it can be used as a ranged weapon (Both mundane and spells) a melee weapon (again mundane or spells) a platform for support and utility spells...

Honestly since I discovered this gem my spellcasters have rarely been equipped with anything else.

WhamBamSam
2015-06-14, 07:02 PM
I've always been amused by shenanigans with Defensive Rebuke with things like ranged attacks, Paimon's Dance of Death, Great Flyby Attack, or what have you to hit more enemies, then using something like Evasive Reflexes or Stormguard Warrior to make use of the AoOs which you get despite not being within reach to take them.

Just last night I discovered the Ghostly Tail spell, which (in place of, or perhaps alongside Evasive Reflexes/Stormguard Warrior) allows for rather a lot of damage (and perhaps other nasty things if you get Fell X metamagics involved) in conjunction with this combo if you're a Sorcerer with the dragonblood subtype and a decent CL, or a Kobold Crusader who took it as your Draconic Rite of Passage SLA, or what have you.

Area Attack+Channel Spell (from Spellsword or Ordained Champion) is another favorite of mine, possibly with Blade of Blood or a few other things thrown on.

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 10:34 PM
I've always been amused by shenanigans with Defensive Rebuke with things like ranged attacks, Paimon's Dance of Death, Great Flyby Attack, or what have you to hit more enemies, then using something like Evasive Reflexes or Stormguard Warrior to make use of the AoOs which you get despite not being within reach to take them.How does that work? If you are not in range you cannot make an AoO even if an opponent's action provokes one.

Area Attack+Channel Spell (from Spellsword or Ordained Champion) is another favorite of mine, possibly with Blade of Blood or a few other things thrown on.area spells still only affect the target:
Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it affects only the target.
Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it still affects only the target in this case.

WhamBamSam
2015-06-15, 01:13 AM
How does that work? If you are not in range you cannot make an AoO even if an opponent's action provokes one.Because you're taking a 5-ft step with Evasive Reflexes, or charging up Stormguard Warrior instead of making the AoO. Even if you argue that "giv[ing] you a chance to make an attack of opportunity" is distinct from provoking an AoO and that the AoO isn't "available" to be given up for Channel the Storm (both of which I disagree with), Ghostly Tail certainly works, despite that making the least sense of the three, even with the "eh, it's magic" excuse.

Ghostly Tail
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer 1,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Effect: Evoked tail
Duration: 1 hour/level

A partially translucent, scaled tail uncoils from behind you, as if it had always been there, and slaps at foes that leave themselves open to attack.
You evoke a partially translucent, scaled tail that can attack foes that are vulnerable to attacks of opportunity.
If your foe takes an action that would provoke an attack of opportunity from you, even if you are not holding a melee weapon that would normally threaten your foe, your evoked dragon's tail attacks the target with a melee touch attack, dealing 2d6 points of damage on a successful hit.
You can only strike with a ghostly tail if you have not already taken your allowed number of attacks of opportunity in the round.
Special: A dragonblooded character, or a character with the dragon type, deals an extra 1 point of damage per level with a ghostly tail (maximum 20 points).It explicitly doesn't care about you not threatening whoever provokes the AoO. It just whacks them, wherever they are (though I suppose if they attacked someone and provoked the AoO where you couldn't see them there'd at least be a miss chance).

area spells still only affect the target:We aren't talking about an area spell. Area Attack is a feat in Savage Species which lets you attack an area with an improvised weapon (and in particular, explicitly uses that language), meaning that the area is the target of a successful attack and the whole thing gets the spell channeled into it.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 02:22 AM
Cunning Strike (Dungeonscape 17) + Knife to the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm#knifetotheSoul) because the rules are silly.
I don't see what's so silly here. You spend 13+ levels in Soulknife and 4+ levels in Factotum so you can deal 1 extra point of ability damage. This combo fails unless the target is a living, nonmindless creature who is also vulnerable to sneak attack.

Srasy
2015-06-15, 03:25 AM
I am always a fan of getting something really heavy and dropping it one the heads of big monsters...
The easiest way is to be a druid and fly above a monster as a bird and then turn into something really heavy(like a brown bear) X amount of feet up and crash down on the big bad.
Another way is to fill an enveloping pit or a bag of holding with heavy almost junk loot like long swords breastplates and shields the fly up above a big monster and dump the contaner full of stuff on the big bad's head except this time without harming yourself except maybe in the pocketbook.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 04:06 AM
I am always a fan of getting something really heavy and dropping it one the heads of big monsters...
That doesn't work so well. You still have to hit their square (that's only AC 5, but if the object is sufficiently heavy it'll be beyond your ability to use as a ranged weapon without a siege engine). And the monster can avoid any falling object with a DC 15 Reflex save (Heroes of Battle, page 68).

Ruethgar
2015-06-15, 04:20 AM
The elvencraft longbow is the single most versatile weapon that I have been able to find.

It functions as both a longbow and quarterstaff and can be enchanted and augmented as both, including three wand chambers (one for bow, one for each end of the staff). The staff can be made into a magic staff or a runestaff of whatever flavor you prefer.

Depending on how you choose to enchant it and what wand you use it can be used as a ranged weapon (Both mundane and spells) a melee weapon (again mundane or spells) a platform for support and utility spells...

Honestly since I discovered this gem my spellcasters have rarely been equipped with anything else.

Add a Bow Blade from Complete Scoundrel for a fourth Wand Chamber and another melee damage type. Just don't ask how wielding all four weapons in one round would work, I assume multi-weapon fighting would likely be needed.

Andezzar
2015-06-15, 08:55 AM
It explicitly doesn't care about you not threatening whoever provokes the AoO. It just whacks them, herever they are (though I suppose if they attacked someone and provoked the AoO where you couldn't see them there'd at least be a miss chance).Not quite. It doesn't care if you do not have a(nother weapon) with which to threaten. It does not extend your threatened area. It also does not give you permission to make more AoOs than you would normally be allowed to make.

We aren't talking about an area spell. Area Attack is a feat in Savage Species which lets you attack an area with an improvised weapon (and in particular, explicitly uses that language), meaning that the area is the target of a successful attack and the whole thing gets the spell channeled into it.I misunderstood then. It still does not work. The rules for Area Attack do not say that that the area is the target. In fact the description does not even use the word target. Channel spell is restricted to the next target you hit.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-15, 09:12 AM
Not quite. It doesn't care if you do not have a(nother weapon) with which to threaten. It does not extend your threatened area. It also does not give you permission to make more AoOs than you would normally be allowed to make.

That's why Defensive Rebuke is used; it causes enemies to provoke regardless of whether you threaten them when they meet the conditions to provoke an attack of opportunity (i.e. attacking someone other than you). The only time you need to threaten them is when you attack them, because you have to threaten someone to be able to attack them in melee.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-15, 09:26 AM
Add a Bow Blade from Complete Scoundrel for a fourth Wand Chamber and another melee damage type. Just don't ask how wielding all four weapons in one round would work, I assume multi-weapon fighting would likely be needed.

You don't need TWF/MWF to wield or use more than one weapon in a single round: you need those feat to gain extra attacks with those weapon. A 16th level Fighter can attack once with a crossbow, a longsword, an unarmed strike and his armor spikes without incurring in to-hit penalties (other than that for firing a crossbow with a single hand).

Another unusual combo: anything + kobold.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?318382-Coolest-Combination-Items) also lists some nifty combination of magic items.

Andezzar
2015-06-15, 09:43 AM
That's why Defensive Rebuke is used; it causes enemies to provoke regardless of whether you threaten them when they meet the conditions to provoke an attack of opportunity (i.e. attacking someone other than you). The only time you need to threaten them is when you attack them, because you have to threaten someone to be able to attack them in melee.So you're saying I could use defensive rebuke, attack someone and then move away and I would get an AoO even though the enemy is out of reach? I don't see that supported by the rules. You must be in range to make an attack. You must be able to make an attack to forgo such an attack. Someone provoking an AoO =/= you getting an AoO. Drinking a potion alone in a sealed room provokes an AoO, but since no one else is there no one gets to actually make an AoO.

Another unusual combo: anything + kobold.But do they work well? I can think of several things that do not work well with kobolds.

Deaxsa
2015-06-15, 09:48 AM
That doesn't work so well. You still have to hit their square (that's only AC 5, but if the object is sufficiently heavy it'll be beyond your ability to use as a ranged weapon without a siege engine). And the monster can avoid any falling object with a DC 15 Reflex save (Heroes of Battle, page 68).

...or you could just use tree feather tokens. I once built a flying character, spent my entire starting wealth on tokens, and bombed my way through every encounter I could. That's actually probably my favorite item. Instant door, instant bridge, instant bomb.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-15, 09:52 AM
So you're saying I could use defensive rebuke, attack someone and then move away and I would get an AoO even though the enemy is out of reach? I don't see that supported by the rules. You must be in range to make an attack. You must be able to make an attack to forgo such an attack. Someone provoking an AoO =/= you getting an AoO. Drinking a potion alone in a sealed room provokes an AoO, but since no one else is there no one gets to actually make an AoO.

You aren't making attacks of opportunity (you need to threaten to actually make the AoO), but they still provoke, and you're replacing those attacks of opportunity with 5-foot steps (Evasive Reflexes) or getting bonuses to attack/damage on your next turn via Stormguard Warrior's Channel the Storm.

Drinking a potion provokes, but normally someone needs to threaten you for you to provoke an AoO from them. Defensive Rebuke adds another way that a character can provoke (attacking someone other than the crusader), one that does not anywhere require the crusader to still be threatening the target when the target provokes.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-15, 09:56 AM
But do they work well? I can think of several things that do not work well with kobolds.

The short answer as far as I know is "yes". I'll probably open a thread about kobolds as soon as I have the time to do so, so you'll have to wait for the long answer. I'm sorry.

Andezzar
2015-06-15, 10:54 AM
You aren't making attacks of opportunity (you need to threaten to actually make the AoO), but they still provoke, and you're replacing those attacks of opportunity with 5-foot steps (Evasive Reflexes) or getting bonuses to attack/damage on your next turn via Stormguard Warrior's Channel the Storm.Hmm

When an opponent gives you a chance to make an attack of opportunity, you can instead immediately take a 5-foot step.Has an opponent really given you a chance to make an AoO, if you do not threaten him? I don't think so.

To use this option, you must choose to refrain from making one or more available attacks of opportunity against a single opponent.You cannot refrain from making an attack if you had no ability to make that attack in the first place. So this one is impossible

Drinking a potion provokes, but normally someone needs to threaten you for you to provoke an AoO from them. Defensive Rebuke adds another way that a character can provoke (attacking someone other than the crusader), one that does not anywhere require the crusader to still be threatening the target when the target provokes.Woops I got it backwards, but it still does not work. You are right, normally distracting acts only provoke AoOs in a threatened area. Defensive rebuke causes attacks against anyone but the initiator to provoke AoOs regadless of whether they are in a threatened area. This however neither means that the initiator can make AoOs outside of his threatened area nor that the provocation is enough to fuel evasive reflexes or Stormguard Warrior. Both require you to actually be able to perform the AoO.

The short answer as far as I know is "yes". I'll probably open a thread about kobolds as soon as I have the time to do so, so you'll have to wait for the long answer. I'm sorry.I'd really like to see a good kobold grappler/tripper.

IZ42
2015-06-15, 11:27 AM
I'd really like to see a good kobold grappler/tripper.

In Pathfinder at least, you can build a fairly decent one with Agile Maneuvers (DEX to CMB instead of STR), Fury's Fall (DEX to Trip attempts, stacks with Agile Maneuvers), and the Kobold (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-style-combat-style) Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-groundling-combat-style) Feat Chain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-flood-combat-style). So, if you can catch your enemy flat-footed, they're pretty much screwed. Also works well with the other grappling style feats, found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats).

Rubik
2015-06-15, 11:28 AM
I'd really like to see a good kobold grappler/tripper.Venerable kobold (using the RotD web enhancement) factotum 3/marshal chaos monk 2/whirling frenzied spirit lion totem barbarian 1/dungeoncrasher fighter 6/marshal 1 (with Motivate Intelligence). Take Improved Trip and Improved Bull Rush from monk, and DCFS out the kobold racial feats to nab Dragonwrought, Human Blooded, and Jotunbrud. Make sure you grab Knockback and Shock Trooper to make it even better. Now you make an effective bull rush and trip attempt with every attack, count as Large for trips, have +Int and +Cha to Str checks in trip and bull rush attempts, and make an extra attack every time you manage to knock someone down.

Andezzar
2015-06-15, 11:38 AM
In Pathfinder at least, you can build a fairly decent one with Agile Maneuvers (DEX to CMB instead of STR), Fury's Fall (DEX to Trip attempts, stacks with Agile Maneuvers), and the Kobold (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-style-combat-style) Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-groundling-combat-style) Feat Chain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/kobold-flood-combat-style). So, if you can catch your enemy flat-footed, they're pretty much screwed. Also works well with the other grappling style feats, found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats).Yeah I never much looked at pathfinder.

Venerable kobold (using the RotD web enhancement) factotum 3/marshal chaos monk 2/whirling frenzied spirit lion totem barbarian 1/dungeoncrasher fighter 6/marshal 1 (with Motivate Intelligence). Take Improved Trip and Improved Bull Rush from monk, and DCFS out the kobold racial feats to nab Dragonwrought, Human Blooded, and Jotunbrud. Make sure you grab Knockback and Shock Trooper to make it even better. Now you make an effective bull rush and trip attempt with every attack, count as Large for trips, have +Int and +Cha to Str checks in trip attempts, and make an extra attack every time you manage to knock someone down.Interesting. What does the RotD WE do to kobolds? I only see acouple of traps and a paragon class. Where is Human-Blooded from?

Rubik
2015-06-15, 11:45 AM
Interesting. What does the RotD WE do to kobolds? I only see acouple of traps and a paragon class.It's here. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) It gives you racial bonus feats, which is the most important thing, but it also gives two claws and a bite, and it lets you count as Tiny for opposed checks, if it's beneficial (such as when hiding), or when squeezing into a tight space.

It's quite nice, really.

Where is Human-Blooded from?Human Blooded comes from Dragon Magazine #324, though you can also use Human Heritage from Races of Destiny. They both allow you to count as human when beneficial. The former is better, though, since you also gain human skill point bonuses.

WhamBamSam
2015-06-15, 02:22 PM
Not quite. It doesn't care if you do not have a(nother weapon) with which to threaten. It does not extend your threatened area. It also does not give you permission to make more AoOs than you would normally be allowed to make.Here's the thing, Ghostly Tail isn't really making attacks of opportunity. It's causing a spell effect to happen whenever someone takes an action that would provoke an AoO from you. Attacking someone other than you after being Defensive Rebuked is just such an action, so the effect occurs.

As I said in my last post, even if "giv[ing] you a chance to make an attack of opportunity" is not the same thing as provoking an AoO from you, Ghostly Tail doesn't care, because magic.

But, so long as we're here, let's talk about that.

Hmm
Has an opponent really given you a chance to make an AoO, if you do not threaten him? I don't think so.
You cannot refrain from making an attack if you had no ability to make that attack in the first place. So this one is impossible

Woops I got it backwards, but it still does not work. You are right, normally distracting acts only provoke AoOs in a threatened area. Defensive rebuke causes attacks against anyone but the initiator to provoke AoOs regadless of whether they are in a threatened area. This however neither means that the initiator can make AoOs outside of his threatened area nor that the provocation is enough to fuel evasive reflexes or Stormguard Warrior. Both require you to actually be able to perform the AoO.I'm going to field this with the explanation Tempest_Stormwind provided in the old Optimization Showcase (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3558551) thread where I first got the trick from. It's discussed at some length, but this, I think, is the important point.

I think part of the problem is that the Tome uses informal language in some places and shortcuts in others (Evasive Reflexes, the "ally" based targeting, and the weird rules that block bonus flat damage from multiplying come to mind as the first; the lack of DC breakdowns on any maneuver (they had to include the key ability scores in errata!) are examples of the second).

To me, "a chance to make an AoO" is a casual way of saying "provokes an AoO from you", and that's the simplest way to read it while also being the least likely to break the game.

But I suppose I'll at least concede that it's not ironclad RAW in the case of Evasive Reflexes and Stormguard Warrior.

As for the Channel Spell+Area Attack thing, I've poked through the D&D glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=&alpha=) and for the term "target," and it seems that you're probably right, because it speaks of an "intended recipient of an attack, spell, supernatural ability, extraordinary ability, or magical effect," and things get wonky if you start trying to talk about the "intended recipient" of other area effects (though at least the spell descriptions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets) page goes into a bit more detail about this sort of thing).

The glossary also tells me that "hit" is a defined game term referring to a successful attack roll, so that also rules out the Raumathari Battlemage version of Channel Spell, and some other things like Improved Grab.

It does seem that Knock-down works though, as you are making a physical blow close enough to threaten your opponent's space, in what is clearly not ranged combat, so by the definition, you are dealing damage to an opponent in melee. Contagious Paralysis in conjunction with Area Attack is pretty hysterical as well, and using Brilliant Blade (or similar) in conjunction with Area Attack is actually better than I'd thought in some ways, as the rules on cover refer to targets, which don't seem to be a thing here. I guess I'll have to accept these, and perhaps a few other tricks as some small consolation.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 02:23 PM
...or you could just use tree feather tokens. I once built a flying character, spent my entire starting wealth on tokens, and bombed my way through every encounter I could. That's actually probably my favorite item. Instant door, instant bridge, instant bomb.
I don't see how that's a superior option. You get a tree springing into being, but other than creating difficult terrain that's not going to do much. The Token doesn't do any damage (can't, actually, absent a weight specification). There's no aiming mechanism in the item description, so the DM can decide that the tree springs up from the ground below you rather than being created in mid-air. And because a tree is a living object rather than a creature, and doesn't fill its entire base square, a character can share its space.

paranoidbox
2015-06-15, 02:30 PM

Might just as well utilize shrink item and shrink everything not nailed down (cart, boulders, statues, possibly bonfires, possibly bodies of water) and bomb your enemies with those. At least you'll not have used your wealth on tokens that way.

Aleolus
2015-06-15, 08:44 PM
How about an Illumian Truespeaker? Seems like a very fitting mixture

Derpldorf
2015-06-15, 10:06 PM

I see it more as a multitool or Swiss Army knife. You pick the right tool for any given situation and use that. It's about more options, not more weapons.

For example, a recent character was a spellwarp sniper. She mainly used the runestaff and wands to augment her offensive casting and crowd control abilities. She would use the bow as a backup when she was unable to cast for whatever reason. She would only use the quarterstaff to defend herself on the rare occasions something screwed up and she found herself in melee range, and then only until she could teleport away.

Thank you for informing me about the bow blade, I'll be sure to utilize them in the future.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?318382-Coolest-Combination-Items) also lists some nifty combination of magic items.

It occurred to me while reading that thread... You could combine this with ringswords to get four extra rings while you wield it. ( Bow, Staff Ends, Bow blade.)

bekeleven
2015-06-16, 02:21 AM
It occurred to me while reading that thread... You could combine this with ringswords to get four extra rings while you wield it. ( Bow, Staff Ends, Bow blade.)

The SRD and MIC's rules on computational item combinations don't cover combining specific weapons, or any abilities from them.

Chronos
2015-06-16, 10:20 AM
A couple I've found:

Chameleons and the Shape Soulmeld feat-- At second level, chameleons (Races of Destiny) get a bonus feat that they can change every day. The feat Shape Soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum), unsurprisingly, lets you shape a soulmeld. Soulmelds, once shaped, last indefinitely, until they're unshaped, which is hard to do against your will. So you use your floating feat on Shape Soulmeld, shape a meld, and then change your feat the next day to something else (possibly another Shape Soulmeld feat). You lose the ability to shape your meld, but it doesn't matter, because the meld itself remains.

Cursed Blade and Arterial Strike-- The Arterial Strike feat (Complete Warrior) allows you to forgo one die of sneak attack damage, and in return, your target takes one damage every round until they receive first aid or magical healing. The assassin spell Cursed Blade (Spell Compendium) makes the wounds inflicted by a weapon unhealable until the victim receives a Remove Curse spell. So your assassin sneaks up to the target, hits them with an Arterial Strike, and then leaves: Unless the target can get a Remove Curse spell within a few minutes, they die. Or make it even better, and instead of leaving, continue to watch from hiding: If they get one Remove Curse spell in time, it's probably still within the duration of your Cursed Blade spell, and what are the chances they'll have two Remove Curses available?

Aliek
2015-06-16, 10:31 PM
I'd really like to see a good kobold grappler/tripper.

You just set him up for his famed colossal kobold :smallbiggrin:
Though to be fair, around these parts kobolds are hardly unusual anymore.

I'm a fan of shadowpouncing Ruby Knight Vindicators. Between divine recovery and divine impetus, you can burn turn attempts into full attacks fairly easily. Arguably, if you'd rather go the idiot crusader route, it could be as low as 1 turn attempt per full attack. It's a bit of a rules gray area as far as I know, so just assume it'll take 3 turn attempts per. (two uses of impetus and one of recovery)