PDA

View Full Version : How many 1st level monsters can a 20th level caster summon in a single casting

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-14, 09:04 PM
Casting a single "summon XX" type spell, what is the maximum number of wolves/fiendish rats/desert spawn that a 20th level caster can summon?

2015-06-14, 09:07 PM
Depends. Are you asking "with one spell", "in one round" or "at one time"?

XionUnborn01
2015-06-14, 09:09 PM
Depends. Are you asking "with one spell", "in one round" or "at one time"?

I assume that when it says 'a single summon xx spell' it means one spell. My guess is that they question is in regards to metamagic shenanigans.

Venger
2015-06-14, 09:11 PM
Casting a single "summon XX" type spell, what is the maximum number of wolves/fiendish rats/desert spawn that a 20th level caster can summon?

do you want it restricted to the summon monster/desert ally/SNA lines, or is anything that summons fair game?

yeah, it'll be bumped up with the standard stuff: malconvoker, metamagic, etc.

OldTrees1
2015-06-14, 09:12 PM
Well Summon Monster IX lets you summon at most "1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list". You could get the same with Summon Monster III.

However what about a Twin Repeat Summon Monster III? That would be a 10th level spell before metamagic reducers but would summon either 3d4+3 or 4d4+4 creatures depending on your reading.

Malconvoker adds +1 per summon spell. So that Twin Repeat Summon Monster III would be 3d4+6 or 4d4+8 depending on your reading.

So a metamagic'd Greater Arcane Fusion resulting in metamagic'd Arcane Fusions and Summon Monster IIIs would get rather high.

Jack_Simth
2015-06-14, 09:18 PM
Well Summon Monster IX lets you summon at most "1d4+1 creatures of the same kind from a lower-level list". You could get the same with Summon Monster III.

However what about a Twin Repeat Summon Monster III? That would be a 10th level spell before metamagic reducers but would summon either 3d4+3 or 4d4+4 creatures depending on your reading.

Malconvoker adds +1 per summon spell. So that Twin Repeat Summon Monster III would be 3d4+6 or 4d4+8 depending on your reading.

So a metamagic'd Greater Arcane Fusion resulting in metamagic'd Arcane Fusions and Summon Monster IIIs would get rather high.

Potentially infinity. Sanctum Spell (Greater Arcane Fusion) for a Sanctum Spell (Greater Arcane Fusion) and a Summon Monster Whatever.

2015-06-14, 09:20 PM
Maximum from one spell? You can get 4d2+20, if you can somehow get Twin Spell, Repeat Spell, Empower Spell, and Maximize Spell on Summon Monster III (it's a 7th lvl spell for an Incantatrix 10 with Arcane Thesis: Summon Monster III, but there's better options for Arcane Thesis in that situation...like Disintegrate, or at the very least Summon Monster V).

heavyfuel
2015-06-14, 09:21 PM

Don't forget Empower and Maximize!

Also, Gate could give you 80 bats with a single spell.

2015-06-14, 09:24 PM
Don't forget Empower and Maximize!

Also, Gate could give you 80 bats with a single spell.

If we're talking Gate, you can summon swarms (which are thousands of creatures); assuming CL 20, you can summon 5 wasp swarms (from Fiend Folio IIRC), which summons a total of 50000 wasps.

Ruethgar
2015-06-14, 09:34 PM
Also, don't forget War spells for CL*25 creatures summoned with Faerunian Circle Magic for a CL 40 before other adjustments.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-14, 09:36 PM
Also, don't forget War spells for CL*25 creatures summoned with Faerunian Circle Magic for a CL 40 before other adjustments.

That's, what, DragMag? I know I've asked you before (you really like that metamagic feat), but I forgot the source. It's good to provide a source when citing really obscure stuff (dragmag, web enhancements, etc).

2015-06-14, 09:37 PM
That's, what, DragMag? I know I've asked you before (you really like that metamagic feat), but I forgot the source.

That would certainly explain why I haven't seen it mentioned around here...

PsyBomb
2015-06-14, 09:41 PM
I was going to go for a Hellish Horde, TwinMaxRepeat via DMM, but that's still only 52 creatures

Venger
2015-06-14, 09:50 PM
That's, what, DragMag? I know I've asked you before (you really like that metamagic feat), but I forgot the source. It's good to provide a source when citing really obscure stuff (dragmag, web enhancements, etc).

dragon magazine 309 p44. more info here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?306567-War-Spells!-Discussion-and-Application)

That would certainly explain why I haven't seen it mentioned around here...

also because they're grotesquely broken and would not be allowed in any real game.

Bronk
2015-06-14, 10:23 PM
I can only imagine that, swarms aside, if you tried all the tricks already mentioned on the 'Regal Procession' spell from the Spell Compendium (as mount spell, but summons one mount per level) you could rack up the numbers pretty quickly.