PDA

View Full Version : Photography

Vaynor
2007-04-25, 05:59 PM
A photography thread so we can talk about, well, photography. Share photos, whatever.

Here's (http://vaynor.smugmug.com/) some of my stuff. The passworded galleries are family photos, most of which would not approve of me posting their pictures online. :smallwink:

Yah, so, that's about it.

Brickwall
2007-04-25, 06:41 PM
Your pictures not including the Human Element are pretty good.

Ego Slayer
2007-04-25, 06:45 PM
You do have some pretty nice photos they, Vay.

*Ego points to her dA sig link*

Vaynor
2007-04-25, 06:50 PM
Your pictures not including the Human Element are pretty good.

Heh, thanks.

EDIT: To both, of course.

Brickwall
2007-04-25, 06:52 PM
It's a mixed compliment, honestly. Nature is much more inherently beautiful and wondrous that people-stuff. Thus, I have an elevated level of admiration for those who can do both.

Translation: Keep working at it.

Vaynor
2007-04-25, 07:00 PM
It's a mixed compliment, honestly. Nature is much more inherently beautiful and wondrous that people-stuff. Thus, I have an elevated level of admiration for those who can do both.

Translation: Keep working at it.

Keep in mind I'm a 14 year old guy with a point-and-shoot, with no training whatsoever. :smallwink:

But yah, I like landscape shots better. :smallbiggrin:

Toastkart
2007-04-26, 05:04 PM
Here's my album if anyone is interested. Not all of the pictures are as great as I would like them, but my camera requires a lot of light to work best, and often the best time to find these animals is early in the morning before the sun is all the way up.
here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Einhander/Life/)

Ego Slayer
2007-04-26, 08:13 PM
I assume you're using a point-and-shoot.

They ones with they rays of sun are nice. I like them. ^_^

Brickwall
2007-04-26, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind I'm a 14 year old guy with a point-and-shoot

As opposed to what? A "toss and shoot"? A "point and just hope it takes a picture by itself"? A "point and hit"?

Vaynor
2007-04-26, 09:18 PM
As opposed to what? A "toss and shoot"? A "point and just hope it takes a picture by itself"? A "point and hit"?

IE a camera that you just point at something at push the button, not a professional camera. Usually rhose little silvery ones you see people with, not the bigger black ones with large lenses.

Brickwall
2007-04-26, 09:30 PM
A silly appelation. You do the same thing with the professional cameras. You just do it carefully. And possibly with a tripod (which you also do with standard cameras, if you can find one).

Ego Slayer
2007-04-26, 10:09 PM
... Yeah, they both do the same thing but there's a whole technical curve to the professional ones... and obviously you can do x100 more with them.

Toastkart
2007-04-26, 10:11 PM
it's actually a nikon 8 megapixel slr. But as I said, when the light isn't good the picture isn't as good. also, when I'm using the digital zoom, any slight shake of the camera might cause a blur that wouldn't appear if I were using the optical zoom. Some of these pictures are old, too. I've had the camera for over a year now.

Thanks for the compliments, though. I really liked the way the sunlight and reflection pictures turned out, among the other ones.

Ego Slayer
2007-04-26, 10:17 PM
Ahh, I see. You're using auto, right?

Brickwall
2007-04-26, 10:17 PM
... Yeah, they both do the same thing but there's a whole technical curve to the professional ones... and obviously you can do x100 more with them.

But it's still point-and-shoot! So why does that name distinguish between the two?

That's like calling soda bottles "open-and-drink" and saying it differentiates them from cans. Or calling one type of knife "hold-and-cut" and saying it differentiates the type of knife.

Ego Slayer
2007-04-26, 10:19 PM
An SLR and a point-and-shoot are two very different things. Or are we not understanding each other?:smallconfused:

Vaynor
2007-04-26, 10:22 PM
But it's still point-and-shoot! So why does that name distinguish between the two?

That's like calling soda bottles "open-and-drink" and saying it differentiates them from cans. Or calling one type of knife "hold-and-cut" and saying it differentiates the type of knife.

With point-and-shoot, your photography is limited to pointing and clicking. With another camera, there is a plethora more you can do with it, and generally is not just pointing and shooting.

Dispozition
2007-04-27, 04:40 AM
Mine can be found here (http://dispozition.deviantart.com/)

The grayscale ones are all taken with an analog SLR and the colour ones with a point and shoot.

As soon as I get my DSLR, there are going to be lots, lots more photos in there.