PDA

View Full Version : Journal The Magic War

Thrathgnar
2015-06-15, 12:26 AM
Hello roleplaying comrades! In about a week I will be DMing a seven way pvp event using DnD 5e rules called the Magic War. It is based off a visual novel known as Fate Stay/Night, with its own elements. This event fits into the timeline of my current campaign, but is more of a spin off. The seven players each play a mage that can only use one school of magic, and also gets to pick a mage specialty. Each mage summons a servant from one of the following classes: Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Berserker, Assassin, and Caster. Each servant is a hero from some previous era, meaning that legends can meet in battle. (In the fate franchise they are all historical, for the sake of the storyline I am pulling characters from our previous campaigns). Once the final summon is complete, it turns into a seven way war between the factions. The last mage standing gets the Staff of Wish, and will have their ultimate wish granted. I have decided to write up this event in narrative format, and have already done writing on preparations for the war. I figured that I would go ahead and post what i write as I write it here for the community to enjoy. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and I would really appreciate feedback as I aspire to write stories professionally someday. Some of this might not make much sense since its based off an already build campaign setting, but again I am free to taking questions. So, without further ado, here is the first bit!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iHaDFPIbVUQi73lnHwWkHrDIeif91K-0czcXPXvFZFE/edit?usp=sharing

Also, I wanted to post the actual story here but the format took out indents which would be annoying, if someone knows a way around that please let me know. Thanks!

mrroney13
2015-06-15, 12:45 AM
I am monitoring this thread... I await more.

Thrathgnar
2015-06-15, 09:50 AM
I am monitoring this thread... I await more.

Glad to hear you find it interesting!

Thrathgnar
2015-06-17, 11:20 PM
It has just been updated. The sixth servant appears, and more of the characters are developed. There is just a bit more to go before the actual conflict.

Thrathgnar
2015-06-18, 01:58 PM
Story moved here http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/AspireWriter/1561627/

Thrathgnar
2015-06-19, 06:45 PM
Original link updated. Decided not to use the second one. There will only be one or two more updates before Wednesday

Thrathgnar
2015-06-19, 10:26 PM
Updated again. New developments between the players have occurred, setting up the web of complications for an interesting war

Thrathgnar
2015-06-28, 01:46 PM
If anyone is actually interested, it has been updated again, this time with actual battles

Jonagel
2015-06-28, 02:25 PM
Interested!

Hard to follow at first with so many things being introduced, but getting quite interesting =D

noob
2015-06-28, 04:10 PM
Basically people are fighting for getting a powerful wish?
A more powerful wish means more trouble and an higher probability of killing everything you like and to be turned into a toad and sent in hell.

Thrathgnar
2015-06-28, 05:33 PM
Interested!

Hard to follow at first with so many things being introduced, but getting quite interesting =D

Glad you like it! Since it does take place in a larger universe, there is a lot of references that normal readers won't get. I may choose to start expanding on this universe in writing at some point.

Thrathgnar
2015-06-28, 05:34 PM
A more powerful wish means more trouble and an higher probability of killing everything you like and to be turned into a toad and sent in hell.

Basically.

Demidos
2015-07-02, 03:02 PM
Looks good! Enjoying it so far, though i'd appreciate a short Servant/Master list at the beginning like --

Caster (Rary) -- Abjurer (Vedran)
etc. etc. etc.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-02, 05:11 PM
Looks good! Enjoying it so far, though i'd appreciate a short Servant/Master list at the beginning like --

Caster (Rary) -- Abjurer (Vedran)
etc. etc. etc.

Good suggestion! Below I will paste the list I had when DMing the war. It includes each character with some background, their magic items, and servants.

Rowen Greycastle, Researcher Evoker. Chaotic Good. Performs music separate from magic, and wants to combine the two to become a true bard. Wand of the War Mage +3, dagger of venom, stone of controlling earth elementals. Servant: Assassin, Lax.

Damion Winters, Researcher Abjurer. Lawful Neutral. His father dreamed of winning the Magic War, but died before it began. Damion spent the rest of his life studying magic, preparing for the day he could accomplish his father’s wish. Tome of Clear Thought, Robe of Stars, Quiver of Ehlonna. Lancer, Tesheku.

Coshram Erysivi, Neo Greyhawk Necromancer. Chaotic Good. Father was a necromancer who left the Association of Magic to liberate undead from his former comrades, and passed his legacy on to his son, who grew up in Neo Greyhawk and became a secluded necromancer, wanting people to not view necromancy as a curse, but as viable magic. He wants to be seen as a Mage, not a monster. Ring of Spell Turning, Keogthm’s Ointment, Circlet of Blasting. Saber, Rankin

Hannibal Hammal, Warrior Illusionist. Chaotic. After parents died as a kid, he was taken in by a band of mercenaries who trained him in swordsmanship and magic. He eventually killed his adoptive father. Believes that chaos is the only truth in the world and he wants to share it with the world. Dancing Sword, Brass Horn of Valhalla, Manual of Quickness of Action. Berserker, Grigor Goljar

Vedran Amal, Neo Greyhawk Abjurer. Lawful Good. Student of one of the Masters of the previous war. His Master died in the war protecting another master, who took Vedran in and taught him magic. Spent most of the rest of his life studying magic, wanting to protect anyone he can. Staff of Power, Rod of Security, Dimensional Shackles. Caster, Rary

Zell Vandran, Warrior Necromancer. Chaotic Evil. Student of The Necromancer and sent to retrieve the Staff of Wish. Cube of Force, Robe of Stars, Silver Horn of Valhalla. Rider, Drandell.

Mikan Gorran, Researcher Conjurer. Chaotic Good. Parents died during a conflict in the Four Kingdoms, and he set out for revenge. Eventually, he came to terms with their deaths and swore that he would never let it happen again. He seeks universal peace, and will do anything to achieve it. Robe of Eyes, Oil of Etherealness, Necklace of fireballs. Archer, Rien Corven

Arbane
2015-07-03, 01:05 PM

Exactly like in this game's inspiration, then...

Thrathgnar
2015-07-03, 01:47 PM
Exactly like in this game's inspiration, then...

Thats actually incredibly accurate now that I think about it >.>