PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Limited Use Items in a one-shot Dungeon cost Rule

SinsI
2015-06-15, 06:56 AM
Accidentally stumbled upon this rule on page 199 of DMG:

In one-shot dungeon, one-use items cost 5 times their normal price and charged items have 1/5 as many charges.

and was really surprised about it.
There were lots of one-shot challenges discussions on this forum, but never has this rule been mentioned or taken into account.
And it is not an optional rule...

Are you using it? Have you even heard of it before?

Thurbane
2015-06-15, 07:05 AM
Must admit, never noticed that before.

Then again, we don't run any one-shot dungeons at our table, so not surprising I missed it...

Crake
2015-06-15, 08:54 AM
Must admit, never noticed that before.

Then again, we don't run any one-shot dungeons at our table, so not surprising I missed it...

To be fair, the thing does go on to say that a 1 use item is just as good as a 1/day use item (and 1/day use items happen to cost roughly 5 times as much as a 1 use item) in a 1 shot, but not all 1 shot dungeons will take place in a single in game day, but rather in a single out of game session.

Saintheart
2015-06-15, 10:45 AM
Will this now be added to the various Cost Reduction handbooks out there as a technique to keep your gold spend down? "You're putting me into a one-shot, so my wands I'm creating are at an 80% discount because I cannot craft them at 100% capacity?"

Segev
2015-06-15, 10:48 AM
Will this now be added to the various Cost Reduction handbooks out there as a technique to keep your gold spend down? "You're putting me into a one-shot, so my wands I'm creating are at an 80% discount because I cannot craft them at 100% capacity?"

Wouldn't this do the opposite? One-shot builds have to pay MORE for charged items per this rule, don't they?

ksbsnowowl
2015-06-15, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't this do the opposite? One-shot builds have to pay MORE for charged items per this rule, don't they?

Yes. Saintheart read it backwards.

Edit: He's talking about crafting the items yourself... so he's arguing that crafting costs should be 20% of normal.

I say no; the one-shot rule says they cost more. You pay the full creation cost, and get 1/5 what you would for a normal campaign.

Flickerdart
2015-06-15, 11:44 AM
No. The price remains the same, but the number of charges is reduced from 50 to 10.