PDA

View Full Version : Psychic warrior prestige? Really?

Sorc
2015-06-15, 09:26 AM
I am going to be playing a new campaign and i can't find any good prestige classes for my warforged psychic warrior. Help me out please!

Rubik
2015-06-15, 09:35 AM
I am going to be playing a new campaign and i can't find any good prestige classes for my warforged psychic warrior. Help me out please!Psychic warrior is pretty good on its own, honestly, though if you really want a PrC, the ghostbreaker from Hyperconscious is pretty good. It's technically 3rd party, but it was written by Bruce Cordell. If you don't know who that is, go look at the front of the Expanded Psionics Handbook to see who the author is. Ghostbreaker is easy to qualify for, grants full BAB, and gives a few reasonably nice class features.

Thrallherd is good for a one-level dip if you can swing the prereqs. Use your thrall as a mount and use your believers as a spy network or something.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-15, 09:35 AM
Psionic Weapon Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) is a start. although the lost PP is painful.

Urpriest
2015-06-15, 09:36 AM
Illithid Slayer (Expanded Psionics Handbook) and Sanctified Mind (Lords of Madness) are pretty much the only viable options. Most psionic PrCs don't progress manifesting, and the few that do don't have good BAB. That said, Psychic Warrior isn't that bad at high levels, you don't really need a PrC.

Rubik
2015-06-15, 09:41 AM
Psionic Weapon Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) is a start. although the lost PP is painful.Psychic Weapon Master is horrid. Look at those prereqs. Uber-blech.

If you want a psionic weapon, use the soulbound warrior ACF from The Mind's Eye, or take Ancestral Relic as a feat.

Sorc
2015-06-15, 09:44 AM
I was looking through some stuff and found war mind. So good.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-15, 09:45 AM
War Mind just makes you about as good as a 15th level psychic warrior at level 15. It isn't really a psychic warrior prestige class.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-15, 09:46 AM
The separate power progression really hurts for a psychic warrior.

Sorc
2015-06-15, 09:49 AM
All the chains are good for me and my two weapon fighting warforgy self needs a good way to wade into combat

Flickerdart
2015-06-15, 09:55 AM
Psychic Weapon Master is horrid. Look at those prereqs. Uber-blech.

If you want a psionic weapon, use the soulbound warrior ACF from The Mind's Eye, or take Ancestral Relic as a feat.
Psychic Weapon Master has niche uses - standard-action Whirlwind Attack (which can be combined with Flyby Attack), +WIS to AoOs per round, and 3.5's only stacking crit range increase are all nothing to sneeze at. Also, its special weapon is superior in some ways to Ancestral Relic (because you don't need loot to enhance it) and Soulbound Weapon (because you don't need to waste PP/actions to conjure it).

It's not the greatest PrC out there for a manifester, but a conventional warrior (with a dip in ardent to qualify) will find some useful things in it.

Urpriest
2015-06-15, 09:56 AM
All the chains are good for me and my two weapon fighting warforgy self needs a good way to wade into combat

If you're going to go with War Mind, it might be better to start with a non-psionic class to get full advantage out of it.

Feint's End
2015-06-15, 09:58 AM
War Mind just makes you about as good as a 15th level psychic warrior at level 15. It isn't really a psychic warrior prestige class.

If you can use the pathfinder war mind though then this really is a very good alternative to the base psychic warrior. On the other hand slayer never seemed to be especially worthwile to me.

In base 3.5 you don't really have to prc at all since pretty much every option makes you weaker than staying straight psywar ... unless you have a very specific concept in mind.

ShurikVch
2015-06-15, 09:59 AM
What's your alignment?
Anarchic Initiate (CPsi) have full manifesting progression and BAB 3/4

Psyren
2015-06-15, 10:04 AM
I recommend the Meditant (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827c), which can double your PP and even make you ethereal all day long. (It was my first handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?224909-3-5-Zen-Psionics-Mastering-the-Meditant) too!)

Segev
2015-06-15, 12:58 PM
When choosing a PrC, one should consider what one wants the character to do.

So, what are you envisioning your Psychic Warrior doing, and what would you like to emphasize about his style and capabilities?

Telok
2015-06-15, 01:34 PM
Slayer. Full BAB, 9/10 manifesting, Mind Blank as a class feature at a decent level.

Also, as a psiwar, anything you can do to get more power points is worth looking at. Surprisingly a hummie psiwar with only the Psionic Body and Psionic Talent feat taken over and over is perfectly viable for a whole campaign.

Rebel7284
2015-06-15, 01:51 PM
I am going to offer an out of the box suggestion:

Psychic Theurge: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b

Psychic Warrior 4/X 1 (good will save)/Ur Priest 2/Psychic Theurge 8/Y 5

You get full BAB with persisted Divine Power and in general, use your Divine Spells for buffs while you rip your opponents apart.

Rubik
2015-06-15, 01:54 PM
Also, as a psiwar, anything you can do to get more power points is worth looking at. Surprisingly a hummie psiwar with only the Psionic Body and Psionic Talent feat taken over and over is perfectly viable for a whole campaign.Similarly, focus on powers with low pp costs that are viable without augmentation and look into items that grant access to psionic effects.

The former includes long-lasting buffs and powers that grant a huge bang for their buck. Expansion, Psionic Minor Creation, and Psionic Lion's Charge are good ones. Avoid instantaneous direct damage powers at all costs.

The latter includes power stones, the psychoactive skin of proteus (!!!), and dorjes of low level powers with good effects (such as Entangling Ectoplasm).

Telok
2015-06-15, 02:06 PM
Similarly, focus on powers with low pp costs that are viable without augmentation and look into items that grant access to psionic effects.

The former includes long-lasting buffs and powers that grant a huge bang for their buck. Expansion, Psionic Minor Creation, and Psionic Lion's Charge are good ones. Avoid instantaneous direct damage powers at all costs.

The latter includes power stones, the psychoactive skin of proteus (!!!), and dorjes of low level powers with good effects (such as Entangling Ectoplasm).

Burning a feat for Astral Construct can be good too. Sure it's a one round manifesting time, but by 9th level that and Greater Concealing Amphoria or Power Resistance are often all I cast in a combat. Although that's on a psion/slayer with UMD, wands of True Strike, and +1 Power Storing arrows.

Rubik
2015-06-15, 02:51 PM
Burning a feat for Astral Construct can be good too. Sure it's a one round manifesting time, but by 9th level that and Greater Concealing Amphoria or Power Resistance are often all I cast in a combat. Although that's on a psion/slayer with UMD, wands of True Strike, and +1 Power Storing arrows.Astral Construct is decent, but unless you spend resources on giving it an extended duration, it's too expensive for repeated use.

Baroknik
2015-06-15, 03:35 PM
Depending how you feel about pp (an)use, you can look into some of the psycarnum/midnight combos that help to stretch out your pp usage.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-15, 03:40 PM
Psionic Lion's Charge? The one that most sane GMs would rule lets you make a full attack on one charge?

Rubik
2015-06-15, 03:47 PM
Psionic Lion's Charge? The one that most sane GMs would rule lets you make a full attack on one charge?The same one that allows you to make a full attack before, during, or after a charge? Yes. That's some nice strategic powerage, right there.

Telok
2015-06-16, 08:57 PM
The same one that allows you to make a full attack before, during, or after a charge? Yes. That's some nice strategic powerage, right there.

When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round.
It's not really well worded. Most DMs will just have it be as the pounce special ability, which is the apparent intent. Some people will say you get a full attack and a charge attack, which gets interesting once you get a source of the real pounce ability to stack with it.

My issues with Astral Construct and Lion's Charge are the scaling. AS, like most other summoning spells, is pretty trash under 5th or 6th character level because of it's duration. Once you hit 7th character level or so it usually lasts most or all of a fight. At 9th character level it's large and has the B list traits or double A list traits. I don't suggest using AS before 6th level and if you use it often the feat that lets you give it an extra trait is good. If it's your signature power then you should invest in Extend Power and Overchannel.
Lion's Charge is generally a once-a-fight opening move stacking TWF, Disolving Weapon, Spell Storing weapons, etc, for a strong nova. Or you can use it several times and it sucks powerpoints like a mofo. With psiwars not getting 6+ bab untill 9th level anything but a TWF build (or high level play with full bab PrCs) is wasting it. With multiattack styles stacking up to-hit penalties and the medium bab you want to augment it every time you use it.

Those are my concerns about those powers, one isn't much good untill 7th+ level and the other is kind of a niche build thing or a horrid drain on resources.

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-16, 09:48 PM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d

Maybe this???

J-H
2015-06-16, 10:26 PM
Wow, that's a neat class...but it's got 1/2 BAB, so it's bad for Psywar. I would totally take it as a Psion or something, though. Nice untyped stat bonuses.

Go straight Psywar, or Slayer, or the PRC from Lords of Madness (mentioned above).

martixy
2015-06-16, 10:40 PM
Psychic Weapon Master is horrid. Look at those prereqs. Uber-blech.

I agree with that assessment.

Though I'd still wanna try it as a class(though probably gestalt would be the only viable place to do so, and even then with a relaxed feat tax policy - say merging dodge and mobility among other things (http://theworldissquare.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/), otherwise those prereqs make me light-headed).

A TWF Warblade/Psion focused on Int and crits would be pretty decent. Especially with a few allowances for some obscure templates.
You could put probably Blood in the Water up to 10+ in a few rounds.

Troacctid
2015-06-16, 10:49 PM
Wow, that's a neat class...but it's got 1/2 BAB, so it's bad for Psywar. I would totally take it as a Psion or something, though. Nice untyped stat bonuses.

Go straight Psywar, or Slayer, or the PRC from Lords of Madness (mentioned above).

BAB isn't everything. If you take 10 levels of it, you're only behind by two points of BAB compared to a 3/4 BAB class, and the +3 Strength makes up for that by giving you back a +2 to attack, assuming you started with an odd score.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-17, 07:15 AM
The same one that allows you to make a full attack before, during, or after a charge? Yes. That's some nice strategic powerage, right there.
Or I could take Hustle, and get the added flexibility of the move action. (Assuming that the DM rules PLC works like charge, which I think was the intention)