PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 5e sattelite phone

Pinjata
2015-06-15, 10:29 AM
So I have PCs travelling in Thay these days and Quest Giver would like to communicate with them somehow while being in Waterdeep himself. Now, one option is for Questgiver to teleport to certain location every few days and ... Or he could just give them a sattelite phone that works on the same plane. Now, Questgiver is a stingy guy and sees no point in spending a ton of money on this, so perhaps a device that can send up to 25 words once per week?

I dunno. Got any mechanical advice for me how to solve this? How do we make sure PCs can contact Questgiver? Also, Questgiver wants the communication to be COVERT!. Local spies are very common in Thay, working for ruling wizards, freelance guilds and just about anyone who can get money and power from wizards if he snitches on "suspicious subjects". Questgiver knows that. How should I shape this? Thanks. :)

Paeleus
2015-06-15, 11:17 AM
You should check out a spell called sending. I believe it fits the bill as long as your questgiver is magical or has magic access

Ceder
2015-06-15, 11:43 AM
A pair of Sending Stones might be easiest.(p. 199 DMG) One stone is held by the party, one by the questgiver.

LordVonDerp
2015-06-15, 12:00 PM
I think you want twitter, not a satellite phone.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-15, 12:05 PM
A pair of Sending Stones might be easiest.(p. 199 DMG) One stone is held by the party, one by the questgiver.

Yep, sending stones are exactly what's needed here. I'd have the questgiver make it clear that this is a loan - he needs the stone back when they're done with it. Otherwise the players will probably assume it's theirs. Unless you're ok with that.

I've always thought the stones were too dangerous to just hand out for free.

KorvinStarmast
2015-06-15, 01:57 PM
I've always thought the stones were too dangerous to just hand out for free. What, were you at Altamont? :smallconfused:

Slipperychicken
2015-06-15, 01:57 PM
Seconding sending stones. IIRC each one only works with the other in its pair; they can't be used to contact others outside the pair.

If he has access to 5th level casters, he can also get them to cast it for him.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-15, 02:21 PM
What, were you at Altamont? :smallconfused:

Altamont, California? Never been there. Sorry.

If there was some kind of joke or reference in there, I'm afraid I missed it... :smallconfused:

Pinjata
2015-06-16, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys ^^