PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Switching game systems?

ThePrez1776
2015-06-15, 03:46 PM
Hello all!

I'm a new DM running my first campaign with a few friends. I was wondering if switching game systems/editions is ever possible or advisable. My campaign is 5e right now, because I wanted to try out the new system, but I've come to the realization that I much prefer Pathfinder. While would like to run Pathfinder, I feel very reluctant to try to switch something that is already established. The game is still very early, we just our fourth two-hour session, and the players are all level 3.

Thanks for the advicd

Yora
2015-06-15, 04:20 PM
The deciding factor is always how much the players are attached to the current rules system and how they feel about possible alternative options. However, since the difference between systems is generally much greater for the GM than for the players, players are usually pretty easygoing about this when the GM has trouble with the system, in my experience.

Being able to recreate certain character specializations with a different rules set can be somewhat problematic, but I think when switching from D&D 5th ed to Pathfinder, that probably wouldn't be an issue at all.

Explain to the players why the current system is not really working for you as GM and ask them if they have any problems with the other one.
However, if you want to switch to Pathfinder, it's probably not an issue of getting the GM workload easier for you. Since it's also going to make things harder on the players, you'd need to explain to them why you think that would be an improvement for them.