PDA

View Full Version : bel's sword thing from fiendish codex 2

Rentirith
2015-06-15, 04:40 PM
so im a little confused on what Bel's long/greatsword does from Brand of the Nine Hells in Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrant's of the Nine Hells does. I understand that it functions without needing weapon proficiency (sweet for a warlock) and deals extra damage against good guys or demons.

Does this mean that it is a magic weapon and thus is masterwork? i say magic because of the description that it glows with green hellfire (usually Mephistopheles' thing, but outsourcing is good in hell i guess) and maybe glows as a torch, but what ever.

i would assume that Bel doesnt give his minions cheap stuff, and that it is indeed masterwork, but what proof is there other than interpretation?

BowStreetRunner
2015-06-15, 04:55 PM
The description of the Brand of the Nine Hells feat from page 81 is indeed vague on this point. I would say that since the weapon 'glistens with green hellfire' and does extra damage against good-aligned foes or demons, it should be treated as a magical and thus masterwork item when drawing up its stats. Note that the proficiency with the weapon is not stated explicitly as a property of the sword, but may in fact merely be a property of the feat that grants you the sword.

It's interesting that this is the only brand that does not merely give you some innate ability, but actually includes a physical item you receive. There is no mention of what happens if you lose this item. Can it be stolen or given to someone else? What happens then?