PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [Pathfinder] Maelstrom Shield, Shield Slam, and Greater Trip

Alagos
2015-06-15, 05:24 PM
Hello All,

A few quick questions regarding the item and feats mentioned.

The description of the Maelstrom Shield states: "When used to make a shield bash attack, the shield's wielder can make a trip attack as a free action against the same target without provoking an attack of opportunity from the creature being tripped."

Shield Slam states: "Any opponents hit by your shield bash are also hit with a free bull rush attack, substituting your attack roll for the combat maneuver check (see Combat). This bull rush does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Opponents who cannot move back due to a wall or other surface are knocked prone after moving the maximum possible distance."

Greater Trip states: "Whenever you successfully trip an opponent, that opponent provokes attacks of opportunity."

The confusion lies in which order these attacks take place, and how it all plays out in a logical sense. I have two free attacks, neither of which say whether they would go first or second. So I can only assume that they happen simultaneously. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, if the trip is successful, I get an attack of opportunity as he falls. This would follow the basic rules as any other Greater Trip AoO, in that it does not benefit from the +4 prone bonus. The issue with this is, most likely I'll be shield bashing with this AoO, which means that I'll be triggering another free bull rush from Shield Slam. The trip won't play a part in it as he'll already be in the process of falling. Let's say the second bull rush is successful.

My interpretation of how the attacks play out is as follows:

Shield Bash --> Free Bull Rush (Shield Slam) and Trip (Maelstrom) --> AoO Shield Bash (Greater Trip) --> Free Bull Rush (Shield Slam) --> Movement from Bull Rushes

There's a couple issues with this though.

1) Is the movement from the first Shield Slam bullrush resolved at the same time or after the AoO? If at the same time, would I be doing two bull rush attempts on the target simultaneously? Would the movements from both attempts occur at the same time?

1) How do multiple bull rush attempts on the same target stack within roughly the same time frame? If I land both my Shield Slams at the same time, does the movement pushed back stack, or would only the longest distance apply?

3) Is it even possible to bull rush a prone opponent? Do you gain the +4 prone bonus on the CMB to do so? Will the target still be prone after the bull rush?

4) If I Shield Slam a target into a wall and it falls prone, does it trigger the AoO from Greater Trip? I'm assuming no, but figured I would ask anyways.

5) If you have iterative/multiple attacks, can you choose to not bull rush an opponent with Shield Slam so the opponent is knocked out of your reach too soon?