PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Frostburn Inspired Campaign - Level 5 Character Creation Help!

Carnivictid
2015-06-15, 06:53 PM
Hey guys!

Our group (3 players) have a new DM. He isn't new at DM'ing, but he's new to our group. He has created a Frostburn-inspired campaign. Meaning there will be altitude sickness and the elements to worry about.

We have the following restrictions:

Must be ECL 5.
Attributes are 8 with 32 point buy
9,000 GP
Any 3.5 material.

But we are in a Party of 3 players. One player is going Rogue, the other Healer. That leaves me with the role of dealing damage or mitigating it. I am not very good at building characters, and know our DM will throw us curve balls. He is the kind of player that likes to "min/max" his creations.

I am looking for advice on builds that maximize combat survivability against spell casters, while still holding their own in close combat. Are there any builds around ECL 5 that you could point me to? Anything broken?

Warrnan
2015-06-15, 07:07 PM
Please tell me your "Healer" is actually a cleric or druid.

Hmm. If you have to be a melee meat shield, a silverbrow human barbarian with whitling frenzy, knock down, and improved trip with a two handed weapon is pretty good. Grab a level or two of fighter and get karmic strike and stand still. This bruiser style build carves up bad guys and controls the battle field pretty well. You'll do more damage to enemies than anyone else and be able to full attack on a charge with the lion spirit totem.

An ordained champion cleric is a good option as is the harmononious Knight Paladins "A Game paladin".

Carnivictid
2015-06-15, 07:24 PM
Please tell me your "Healer" is actually a cleric or druid.

He's not... I'm sorry. Haha. But he's using the class The Healer from the Miniature's Handbook.

I will look into the Silverbrow Humans. But what I've read in Dragon Magic, there isn't much to them. Am I missing something?

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-15, 07:25 PM
You'll want a utility caster of some sort, preferably one who can summon flanking buddies for the rogue. I'd recommend Druid because, well, Frostburn, but Wizard would be just as good.

a silverbrow human barbarian with whitling frenzy

Ah, yes. Nothing quite like flying into a rage and producing a bunch of woodwork :smalltongue:

Warrnan
2015-06-15, 07:46 PM
Whitling frenzy. Hahahaha!!! Darn autocorrect is my worst enema. (Should have been whirling frenzy.)

At least the rogue with use magic device maxed can be a decent damage and utility character. My condolences on adventuring with a Healer.

Since its up to you to carry the party, I recommend Druid. It gets you plenty of mobility and environmental survival Magic. And you can be a bear riding a bear while shooting bears out of your eyeballs.

Go ye forth and maul and plunder the frost fell. Druid 20 is the recommended build with natural spell at level 6. See if you can find a way to summon as a standard action. Ring of the Beast from MIC plus rapid summoning feat, perhaps. If need be a reserve feat plus a flying form will allow you to kite if your party members go down.

Also, reincarnate is the lowest level Rez in the game (with possibly hilarious repercussions).

Silver brow lose the extra skill point per level and gain feather fall 1/ day and the dragon blood subtype.

Carnivictid
2015-06-15, 08:00 PM
Is there any other resource that gives information on the Silverbrow Humans? Dragon Magic is very limited in whats given.

If they have the cold immunity cited online, that's perfect for the cold weather, but the DM wants the book number where this info is.

I already have the Silverbrow Human started. And I like it so far. But I can only squeeze out a 15-16 AC, which puts me at a coin flips chance to be hit if the enemy has a BaB of 5 or 6.

I appreciate the suggestions!! Keep them coming.

Warrnan
2015-06-15, 08:57 PM
All the info for silverbrow humans is on page 6 of dragon Magic. They don't have cold resist. There may be some human type races in frostburn if you prefer. Mainly silverbrow is if you need dragon blood for some reason and want to keep the human feat.

As far as your AC being low, summon up some wolves or bears to trip or grapple the enemy. He can't hit you if he's busy. There are animals with awesome AC for you to wildshape into, as well. In d&d killing your enemy fast is better than tanking them for many rounds. So go with that.

Carnivictid
2015-06-15, 09:15 PM
This is what I have so far.

Silverbrow Human
4/1 Barbarian/Fighter
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Knockdown
Quickdraw

Strongarm bracers (MIC 139)
Large Greatsword
Med Greatsword
Some kind of shield.

Going for Whirling Frenzy.

22 Str
14 Dex
16 Con
13 Int
8 Wis
8 Cha

Any more tips appreciated. How can I use that dragonblood to my advantage?

Warrnan
2015-06-15, 09:30 PM
Here's how I build a barbarian. If you are going to die dump your base attack and up combat expertise and pray the rogue can burst them down.

If you want to be aggressive then dump AC and use karmic strike. Having options is great.

L1- Bbn1 extra rage, combat reflexes, standstill, combat expertise. Spirit lion totem gives you pounce (full attack on a charge.) from complete champion.
Flaws murky eyed and shaky to get two extra feats.

L2- Bbn2 wolf totem gives improved trip.

L3-ftr1-knockdown+mage slayer this makes you well rounded versus casters and melee.

L4-ftr2- retrain standstill to dodge for karmic strike. Grab a a glaive and some armor spikes for reach.

Frenzy to gain two attacks. Charge and hit them twice Tripping them if you do more than 10 damage (you will.) anytime someone attacks you hit them in the face and possibly trip them.

Karmic strike is so strong because when they full attack you, you can hit them back. If you win Initaitive you can hit them twice and then counter attack them. Work towards leap attack and a standard charging build afterwards.

I love barbarians, HOWEVER. I hope your munchkin dm doesn't destroy a party full of tier 4 and 5 heroes. I strongly recommend a cleric or druid. Haha.

As for the dragon blood, that was more a suggestion for the druid. If you have an animal companion, wild cohort and summons, the fast healing from draconic aura (vigor) could prove really useful. Sadly it only kicks in if you are below 50% hp but affects all allies with in 30'. It's situational but could be awesome.

Also. Quick draw is only needed if you are constantly drawing weapons such as a dagger or spear throwing hero. Anyone with 1 base attack can draw their weapon while charging or as part of a move action. For a two handed bruiser such as yourself this feat is useless.

1400 gold. Steadfast boots. Free attack of opportunity agains someone who charges you. Trip them. With reach. Their charge fails and they're prone. Winning.

Carnivictid
2015-06-15, 10:49 PM
L3-ftr1-knockdown+mage slayer this makes you well rounded versus casters and melee.

I've almost finished this build, but I have a questions about mage slayer. In Complete Arcane, you need two ranks of spellcrafting. Is that even possible?

Otherwise, what an awesome play style! I love what options it brings to the plate. Thank you so much!

torrasque666
2015-06-15, 11:00 PM
I've almost finished this build, but I have a questions about mage slayer. In Complete Arcane, you need two ranks of spellcrafting. Is that even possible?
Course. Hell, you can get it at level one if you have to points to spare. 4 points into a cross-class skill gets you 2 ranks.

Carnivictid
2015-06-16, 12:16 AM
Here it is!

Barbarian/Fighter 3/2
Str 22
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 8
Cha 8

Flaws:
Murky Eyed
Shakey

Feats (I went Wolf Totem Barbarian)

First level
Human Feat: Extra Rage
First Level Feat: Combat Reflexes
Feat from Flaw: Stand Still
Feat from Flaw Dodge

Second Level
Improved Trip - (Wolf Totem Bbn Level 2)

Third Level
Ftr Level 1 Bonus Feat: Knock-down
Level 3 bonus Feat: Karmic Strike

Fourth Level
Ftr Level 2 Bonus Feat: Mage Slayer

This feels like a lot of feats. Someone fact check me!

Uncle Pine
2015-06-16, 02:06 AM
As this is a Frostburn campaign and since both Barbarian and Fighter have Tumble as a class skill thanks to Cityscape's Web Enhancement, I feel compelled to suggest grabbing a novice cloak of Desert Wind (Tome of Battle) as soon as you hit 6th level to get Flame's Blessing (also Tome of Battle). 9 ranks in Tumble + Flame's Blessing = fire resistance 10 = never getting damaged by fire = be on fire 16/24 (you lose the benefits of the stance when you sleep, so you can't be on fire 24/24).
Planar Handbook has fireproof clothes (+50 gp).

Warrnan
2015-06-16, 07:00 AM
Luckily spirit totem lion and wolf totem aren't exclusive. Think of native Americans who have a totem pole and venerate many animals. Also I have always roleplayed it that the lion was my personal spirit animal and that wolf totem was my clan's ancestor spirit.

So you give up barbarian fast movement and rage to get pounce and Whirling frenzy. Give up uncanny dodge and get improved trip.

Charge in and possibly trip two people in the first round! This is about the most well rounded strong warrior build there is. Also. Dump trapsense and help the rogue with traps by taking trap killer from dungeonscape. Intimidate can be useful in social situations. Finally a fighter who can do more than "I hit it again."

NomGarret
2015-06-16, 11:23 AM
I would consider a dip in Totemist. Plenty of anti-cold soul melds: frost helm, urskan greaves, heart of fire, etc.

Deadline
2015-06-16, 11:27 AM
Whitling frenzy. Hahahaha!!! Darn autocorrect is my worst enema. (Should have been whirling frenzy.)

That seems ... really uncomfortable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enema). :smallbiggrin: