PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mechanics

Elena_NightWish
2015-06-15, 11:18 PM
So here it is: I am still fresh to the world of DnD and still learning how the world functions in comparison to other games that involve magic and fighting mechanics. So naturally that makes a lot of questions... Here's a few I've been brewing over:

I play a Warlock and I understand that I regain all spell slots after a short rest. However one of the things thats confusing is this: Is the spell slots total over all your spell levels OR is it such that each spell level gets x amount of slots?

Meditation isn't really explained in the phb. What purpose does it serve? How is it helpful?

I am a pact of the Chain Lock and thus have a Familiar. Do Familiars level with you? If they do how do you calculate their stats? Is there any armor for Familiars?

Thanks in advance for the help!

CantigThimble
2015-06-15, 11:27 PM
As a warlock at let's say, 5th level you get 2 spell slots that are 3rd level. That's it. If you cast a 1st level spell, it will use a 3rd level slot and might have an increased effect if the spells description mentions it. (Armor of Agathys will give you 15 hp instead of 5 for example)

Your familiar does not scale. You can find the full description of the ability in the find familiar spell description. Armor is up to the DM, some will allow you to buy pseudodragon chain mail, some won't.

I have no idea what you mean by meditation. Can you find me a page number or section name in the book to reference here?

Zevox
2015-06-15, 11:35 PM
As someone mentioned to you in your last thread, please don't use a color that strains the eyes that badly for your text.

Anyway though, for most casters, there are separate spell slots for each spell level. For a Warlock, there are not. You get only a few spell slots, but they're all automatically of the highest spell level you can cast. That's why the Warlock class chart looks quite a bit different from that of other spellcasting classes.

"Meditation" is not a mechanic in D&D that I'm aware of. Perhaps you're thinking of the Elves' trance? That simply replaces sleeping. They basically meditate for four hours in place of sleeping for eight. It means their "long rests" are shorter - though that doesn't help the party a ton unless the entire party are Elves, since everyone else still needs eight hours for a long rest.

Familiars don't level up at all. They're always the same as they started in this edition. As for armor, by default there won't be any. A DM might house-rule in some kind of very small armor that could be worn by a humanoid one (Sprite, Imp, Quasit from the Warlock list), but even that's not available in normal rules as far as I'm aware.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-16, 05:17 AM
So here it is: I am still fresh to the world of DnD and still learning how the world functions in comparison to other games that involve magic and fighting mechanics. So naturally that makes a lot of questions... Here's a few I've been brewing over:

I play a Warlock and I understand that I regain all spell slots after a short rest. However one of the things thats confusing is this: Is the spell slots total over all your spell levels OR is it such that each spell level gets x amount of slots?

Meditation isn't really explained in the phb. What purpose does it serve? How is it helpful?

I am a pact of the Chain Lock and thus have a Familiar. Do Familiars level with you? If they do how do you calculate their stats? Is there any armor for Familiars?

Thanks in advance for the help!

At first, not much monsters will attack a familair if they can kill the master, so armor is useless. Also, familairs don't level up. No monster does. A familair has no class and isn't a PC, so he doesn't level up.