PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Weapons?

Tyger
2007-04-25, 09:19 PM
Are there any weapons capable of being transformed from one form to another already in any of the sourcebooks? I could have sworn that I saw one, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

If not, how would you price a magic weapon with the spell Weapon Shift on it, usable at will? Its a first level spell from SpC that allows a weapon to morph into any other weapon etc etc.

Thoughts?

TSGames
2007-04-25, 09:22 PM
Are there any weapons capable of being transformed from one form to another already in any of the sourcebooks? I could have sworn that I saw one, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

If not, how would you price a magic weapon with the spell Weapon Shift on it, usable at will? Its a first level spell from SpC that allows a weapon to morph into any other weapon etc etc.

Thoughts?
Reminds me of the Psiblade from Comp-Psi, not sure if that's what you want. It's a class ability though...
I would price you ability at a +1 bonus, simply b/c it's not that useful.

Lord Tataraus
2007-04-25, 09:25 PM
Actually, you got it right. Its called "Morphing", a +1 enhancment to change a weapon into any other weapon of the same size (i.e. light, one-handed, or two-handed) as a standard action. I don't remember where its from.

Tyger
2007-04-25, 09:28 PM
Morphing it is. And where can I find this, i.e. what sourcebook? I think I might need to tweak it a bit, as the weapon in question needs to go from lance to sword and back again.

Lemur
2007-04-25, 09:39 PM
It's in the Underdark book for FR. It might appear in other splatbooks as well, for all I know.

There's also a Sizing special property which changes the weapon's size to suit the wielder, and a property called Metalline, which changes the material the weapon is made of according to the wielder's whim (useful for overcoming DR, like silver, adamantine, or cold iron). Sizing is a +1 equivalent bonus like Morphing, and Metalline is a +2 equivalent. The follow up to this is the Everchanging Blade, a special weapon that's a +1 Sizing Morphing Metalline longsword, which of course can become any single weapon you want it to be.

Tyger
2007-04-25, 09:44 PM
Thanks! Also found it in my Magic Item Compendium. Knew there was a reason I got that!

Dr. Weasel
2007-04-25, 10:01 PM
I'm fairly certain there's some bow in Races o' the Wild that can turn into a sword at will. I'm not sure of its cost or limitations, though.

MaxMahem
2007-04-26, 12:23 AM
If you are really interested in this mechanic, I designed a legacy weapon that revolves around it. Check it out. (http://myweb.cableone.net/MaxMahem/content/PrimeBlade.pdf) It's good bit more powerful then you're average Legacy Weapon (somewhere around +10 equivalent weapon), but with some unique abilities you won't find anywhere else, culminating in morphing the weapon as a swift action.

Hope you like.

Ashes
2007-04-26, 09:25 AM
I would price and rule that similar to a Glamered armor. Cheap and no +something. Because, while flavorful and possibly a bit useful, most often you'd just use the same kind of weapon anyway.

I could actually see Glamered being more useful than this.

silentknight
2007-04-26, 01:22 PM
Complete Adventurer has a bow that changes to a quarterstaff.

Hyfigh
2007-04-26, 01:54 PM
Add in sizing (I don't remember where it's from off hand) and you've got any weapon you want. Metalline makes for some fun stuff too. In fact, be a warforged kensai and make your natural attack your favored weapon. Sizing + Metalline + Morphing = fun. I made a VoP fighter based around it.

Stevenson
2007-04-26, 01:55 PM
Morningstar of the Many, from Complete Divine.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-26, 02:21 PM
I play a character with a Morphic weapon. He is a master of masks and disguise. It is a great help when you need to be somone else and have a different weapon.