PDA

View Full Version : ...and with enough practice... [Feat]

magic8BALL
2007-04-25, 09:23 PM
Here's and idea I had on my way to uni today. This may give the fighter an edge, but 1/2 the posts on the forum looks to do that anyway. I dont have any books with me just now, so I'm not exactly sure of the presentation and wording, but you should get the general idea... hopefully...

Extra Training [General]

You train hard to achieve what comes naturally to others.

Benifit: Choose a prerequisite for a feat or prestigue class that you do not meet. For the purpose of all feats and Prestigue classes, you meet that particular prerequisite.
You can nominate any ability score to be effectively 13 if it below 13, or to be 2 points higher if it is above 13, effectively increase your BAB or any save by 1 or your ranks in any one skill by 5 (untrained) or 2 (if you have 1 or more ranks).
The chosen ability, you BAB, your base save bonus, and/or ranks in any chosen skill/s do/se not actually increase. You recieve no benifits other than meeting prerequisites for feats and/or prestigue classes.
For example, Krust only has a Dexterity score of 12, but needs 13 to qualify for Dodge. He could take Extra Training (Dex 13), and take Dodge latter on.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat choose another prerequisite, or increase an existing effective ability score by 2, your effective BAB or saves by 1, any effective ranks in a skill by 2.
A fighter may take Extra Training as a fighter bonus feat.

What do we think?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-25, 09:27 PM
i woudlnt waste a feat one what it gives, not at all

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 09:37 PM
I don't know. I can see this being abused a little. A level 3 human fighter. that's 5 feats. You can get almsot any prestige class with 5 of these feats. Yuo can be in almost any prestige class by level 3.

magic8BALL
2007-04-25, 10:01 PM
...ah...

If you level 3 human fighter only takes this as a feat, he would not actually be able to use any feats. A warrior with the ability to level up into a PrC... if he trained right.

Sure, a human fighter could take Extoic Weapon Master at level 4 (increase BAB 3 times, total effectively +6, he could have 2 ranks in Craft Weaponsmithing by himself, and Weapon Proff and Focus [Bastard Sword], I think thats all the prereq's). That's a 3 level PrC 3 levels early at the expense of three feats. Overpowering? I think not. Indeed, I'd see that as a waste of three perfectly good feats. Power Attack, Cleave and Improved Sunder would be a better path for that character (so too would Alertness, Toughness and Skill Focus (Handle Animal), at least these three give some other bonus, as little as it is).

This feat is more aimed at giving the Int 4 Half-Orc the option to use Combat Expertise, or a chance to get that nice PrC you saw, despite you not haveing those naging 5 ranks in a skill thats never been on a class list for your character.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-25, 10:05 PM
why would you want to allow someone with that low int to take a feat he couldnt, just becuase he practices? Not everyone is an adventuerer, and those with 4 int are not going to be one at all. The feat is mechanically sound, but it is not something a feat should do

magic8BALL
2007-04-26, 08:35 PM
...what should feats do?

...grant an ability that you wouldn't otherwise be able to have..?

Nobody without Power Attack can trade melee attack bonus to damage, you need Craft Wand to make a wand, you need Manyshot to shoot two arrows at once.

I don't see why when you cant meet a prerq for a feat or PrC you cant train hard to get there. It's a fighter with Int 10 spending two feats to get Combat expertise. That's not so hard to imagine.

If people don't like it, thats fine: it was just a thought anyway. Would there be a better way to do this sort of thing... sort of like how UMD gets around having to be able to cast spells to use a wand, I want somthing that represents a character overcomming natural (dis)abilities to learn something new.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-26, 08:42 PM
The Pre-reqs are the training needed for the class....they are the bench mark to get into the class, thats why most arnt able to be taken untill 5th level. Disabilities are just that.....they hinder you. A man with a 50 IQ cant be a scientiest, sorry it dosnt work that way. Life isnt that nice