PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion/Polymorph

Naanomi
2015-06-16, 12:07 AM
One of those things a GM is likely to veto but...

I note nothing about Polymorph 'takes away' the status of being a beastmaster' companion. Boy that could make some vicious stuff, taking some already dangerous combat creature and adding the ranger's proficiency bonus to AC, attacks, etc... Any reason besides being rediculous that this doesn't work?

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-16, 12:09 AM
Polymorph cannot change a creature into something with a CR greater than the source form. You could hypothetically polymorph your wolf into a panther (though the DM might rule this just freaks the animal out, not understanding what happened). You could not polymorph into anything CR 1/2 or greater.

True polymorph could do this...then again, of all the ways to break the game with True Polymorph, this is one of the lesser ones.

Naanomi
2015-06-16, 12:12 AM
Polymorph him into a low CR humanoid, strap a shield/plate onto him, laugh at his 26+ AC?

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-16, 12:25 AM
Polymorph him into a low CR humanoid, strap a shield/plate onto him, laugh at his 26+ AC?

An NPC's CR is calculated based on, in part, his AC, so you'd need to find a CR 1/4 NPC with plate armor and a shield. Good luck with that. Depending on whether your DM would allow you to actually transform the beast into a real NPC statblock or just a statless, 'template' human (since after all, most of the stuff in NPC statblocks comes from training and equipment, not physiology), your companion would likely not have heavy armor proficiency and thus wouldn't actually be able to wear the armor you gave him.

Furthermore, you're burning a level 4 spell slot and concentration to make a meat shield whose only way of absorbing hits is not being hit in the first place.

You could have instead used that spell slot to turn a party member into a powerful beast to do a bunch of extra damage and have a bonus pool of hitpoints, or transformed an important enemy into a chicken or perhaps a cockroach. Even if this worked, it's not a very good idea.

Wingless
2015-06-16, 02:48 AM
An NPC's CR is calculated based on, in part, his AC, so you'd need to find a CR 1/4 NPC with plate armor and a shield. Good luck with that. ...your companion would likely not have heavy armor proficiency and thus wouldn't actually be able to wear the armor you gave him.

You wouldn't need to turn it into something with plate armor and a shield. Just something that could wear the custom armor you have for it lying around. Mounts can wear barding. It comes in heavy flavor. Makes sense that it would know how to operate in heavy armor. Especially if you practice it with them. There's nothing that says you couldn't polymorph your companion into a scary humanoid and then help it put on some armor. Putting armor on doesn't magically make the spell go "Well... the CR has increased, gotta cancel now!"

All in all it's a silly idea that is possible but not practical. You don't need to try to make up reasons for why this is a sub-optimal idea. I'd let my players do it in a heartbeat, that'd be hilarious.

Gwendol
2015-06-16, 03:31 AM
You wouldn't need to turn it into something with plate armor and a shield. Just something that could wear the custom armor you have for it lying around. Mounts can wear barding. It comes in heavy flavor. Makes sense that it would know how to operate in heavy armor. Especially if you practice it with them. There's nothing that says you couldn't polymorph your companion into a scary humanoid and then help it put on some armor. Putting armor on doesn't magically make the spell go "Well... the CR has increased, gotta cancel now!"

All in all it's a silly idea that is possible but not practical. You don't need to try to make up reasons for why this is a sub-optimal idea. I'd let my players do it in a heartbeat, that'd be hilarious.

Isn't armor proficiency a thing? Or is it just a question of looking at the humanoid statblock (hobgoblin or orc, for example) and see if they have armor listed and go with that?

Wingless
2015-06-16, 04:12 AM
Isn't armor proficiency a thing? Or is it just a question of looking at the humanoid statblock (hobgoblin or orc, for example) and see if they have armor listed and go with that?

Armor proficiency is definitely a thing. That's why I mentioned barding. Animals and mounts can wear barding, which is identical to armor in every way, mechanically. I was saying that since they have that available, it makes sense that you could have a pet/companion/mount with the proficiency to wear the armor.

A statblock represents the average example of a particular creature. Take goblins for example. The average goblin a player will encounter wears leather armor and uses/can use a shortbow and a scimitar. Not all goblins have proficiency with light armor and those weapons though. They aren't born wearing it. They learn it. Statblocks are just for a DM to throw monsters and get a gist of the capabilities.

Polymorphing your creature into something with that proficiency won't give them that proficiency. Like polymorphing them into an orc will not allow them to speak orcish. I was pointing out that you could make them any humanoid and give them armor. If they are already used to barding... then it should be fine.

It's not an overpowered thing or a hard question to me, really. It's actually quite underwhelming but I can see a lot of silly antics arise from it.

Wingless
2015-06-16, 04:17 AM

You could just equip your companion in plate barding if you want the ridiculous AC. Or half-plate if it has a lower strength and you don't want it to be slowed down.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-16, 04:19 AM

Well, I don't think no armor proficiency makes it so you don't WEAR the armor...

Gwendol
2015-06-16, 04:22 AM
Well no, but there will be Disadvantage.

Dimolyth
2015-06-16, 04:24 AM
That could be used for turning a wolf companion to giant owl flying-mount awesomeness.

Ashrym
2015-06-16, 04:32 AM
You cannot polymorph a beast into a humanoid because it requires transformation into a beast.

Awaken is usually the way to go.

Naanomi
2015-06-16, 07:51 AM
Well then, True Polymorph then... Admittedly a spell with lots of degenerate uses, but amongst them would be turning a team-mate's pet into a dragon with +6/7 AC and to-Hit...

SharkForce
2015-06-16, 09:01 AM
true polymorph is also limited by CR. makes no sense, but while you can turn a rock into a CR 9 creature, you cannot polymorph a frog into a CR 9 creature.

also, polymorph (including true polymorph) *does* change mental stats, proficiencies, etc to that of the target creature (but not personality or alignment). it doesn't make much sense. but it does.

wolf to giant owl is a legitimate option. wolf to giant ape is not. wolf to human that is proficient in plate mail is probably not (unless, as noted, you can find a CR 1/4 human with proficiency in heavy armour. medium armour should be totally possible though, i'm pretty sure there's CR 1/4 humans with that).

there have been extensive arguments on how it *should* work, and you're free to make it work however you want in your games of course (and in fact, i don't like how it works either). but as written, this is how it *does* work.

Demonic Spoon
2015-06-16, 09:08 AM

Humanoids need armor proficiency to wear armor effectively, and NPCs are only statted to be proficient with the armor they are wearing. If the NPC is not wearing armor in its statblock, it is not assumed to be proficient in armor.

My point is that it isn't possible in addition to not being practical. Not that you couldn't allow it in your games - it's obviously not going to cause any balance problems - but the RAW doesn't support it.