PDA

View Full Version : Half-Orc or Half-Troll

HereBeMonsters
2015-06-16, 01:59 AM
I was looking at a few feats recently. The feats are almost all limited to humans, or a half-X race that could count as a human. The feats honestly seem to grant a character troll like abilities.

The feats are Troll-Blooded (Toughness is a requirement); Jotunbrud; and Tireless though Tireless is mostly to remove the downfall of the Troll-blooded feat.

Troll-Blooded grants Regeneration 1 (Fire & Acid)
Jotunbrud grants basically Powerful Build.

This could be done by a Human with 2 flaws, a Half-Orc could do it with 3 flaws or just eating the Fatigue in sunlight penalty for 2 flaws (Toughness and Troll-blooded) and 1rst level feat being the Jotunbrud.

Now I am curious if with that it would be reasonable to play my character as Half-Troll rather then Half-Orc. Keep the Half-Orc base, but apply the feats to alter the race. I mean yes I know there is Half-Troll template, but that is a +4 LA and Regeneration vs Fast Healing is always a fun argument.

rockdeworld
2015-06-16, 03:51 AM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/c51baf89e2f85065d669f3080c2b5cdb/tumblr_inline_n3rsrwCCcQ1qj3ir1.jpg
Why not both? Who says the other half is human?

In any case, either would probably be just as fun.

Thurbane
2015-06-16, 04:01 AM
IIRC, doesn't Troll-Blooded have a Greyhawk regional req, and Jotunbrud an FR regional req?

I may be misremembering.

In any case, if your DM is cool to ignore the regional requirements, should be fine.

Dread_Head
2015-06-16, 07:10 AM
Play a Bear Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bearTotemClassFeatures ) Barbarian which grants toughness at first level which would allow you to pick up all the feats you want with only two flaws as a half orc or only one as a human. In terms of whether you could play it as a half troll that is up to your DM.

dysprosium
2015-06-16, 07:30 AM
IIRC, doesn't Troll-Blooded have a Greyhawk regional req, and Jotunbrud an FR regional req?

I may be misremembering.

In any case, if your DM is cool to ignore the regional requirements, should be fine.

Thurbane is correct about both feats having cross setting regional requirements.

Taveena
2015-06-16, 07:32 AM
Ssssstrictly speaking, the default universe is Planescape, and as you only need two ranks in Knowledge (Local) per regional requirement you don't qualify for, it's not actually impossible for your character to be in Faerun and know about the Greyhawk region required.

HereBeMonsters
2015-06-16, 09:49 AM
Region Requirements only really matter if your DM is hosting the game in one of those regions, if it is a home brew game you can really steal any of those region specific feats because.. whos to say that feat doesn't fit their game.

Least that is why I brought up using those.