PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Battle Boar/Swine Soldier/Warthog Warrior/Babirusa Barrage/Hostility Hog[3.X]

ekarney
2015-06-16, 03:03 AM
I ran out of title room but also Fighting Phacochoerus.

Pathfinder builds are also acceptable, but I'd much prefer 3.X
To the point though, I'm looking for a build uses a pig of some sort as its main weapon.
Not including things like wild shape, I want the pig to be separate entity to the character.

Preferably I'd like the pig to charge in and attack whilst the character stays back and does whatever, as opposed to be dropped/launched on things or being swung at things.

This is also a practical build, though I'm not object to having fun with TO or pig launching/swinging builds.

I'd also like to see ways of acquiring the pig, seeing as I can't see it listed in the adventuring equipment section.

No homebrew/third party thanks, dragon mag is okay.

Mr Adventurer
2015-06-16, 03:17 AM
Druid 20, choose boar as animal companion. Cast spells.

2015-06-16, 03:41 AM
If you're wanting to fight alongside a pig, Druids and Rangers gets Animal Companions, and you can refluff the Summoner's Eidolon as a magic pig. Alternatively, have you heard of Body Bludgeon? It's a Barbarian Rage Power that lets you swing a creature as a weapon, dealing damage to both your target and your "weapon"; while the general suggestion is to use this to dual-wield gnome-chucks, you could just as easily Power Attack with a swine. As a bonus, there are more than a couple pig/boar-based rage powers that enhance your character.

ekarney
2015-06-16, 04:10 AM
Could an animal companion be reliably used as a damage source though? Or should I just write explosive runes all over it and hope for the best?

Body bludgeon? Is that 3.X or PF?

2015-06-16, 04:17 AM
Could an animal companion be reliably used as a damage source though? Or should I just write explosive runes all over it and hope for the best?

Body bludgeon? Is that 3.X or PF?

Pathfinder...because 3.5 Barbarian doesn't have rage powers.

ekarney
2015-06-16, 04:37 AM
Pathfinder...because 3.5 Barbarian doesn't have rage powers.

I'm not that familiar with PF terminology, I thought it may have been a feat or ACF of some sort, but I'll keep that in mind

2015-06-16, 04:50 AM
I'm not that familiar with PF terminology, I thought it may have been a feat or ACF of some sort, but I'll keep that in mind

Nah, it's cool. Honestly, Body Bludgeon is never optimized (since you have to keep purchasing new "weapons" every time the old one "breaks"), but it's so cool.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-16, 05:28 AM
Didn't we have a thread about a hyper-dense pig that could destroy the universe? I believe they had a dragon magazine flaw (Pig Bond maybe) and had contracted Festering Anger.

2015-06-16, 05:31 AM
Didn't we have a thread about a hyper-dense pig that could destroy the universe? I believe they had a dragon magazine flaw (Pig Bond maybe) and had contracted Festering Anger.

I do not remember a thing like that, but I know that Festering Anger is exactly the kind of B.S. that could pull off something like that under the right circumstances.

Vhaidara
2015-06-16, 05:38 AM
Yup. Commoner into Cancer Mage with the Pig Bond feat.

Pig Bond is a commoner only feat that gives you a pig with weight equal to your max carrying capacity. If you ever are more than 5ft from it, Orcus spawns and flays you (not actually an Orcus joke)
Since the pig never gets any bigger, it becomes increasingly dense as Festering Anger pumps your Str. Infinitely so.

2015-06-16, 05:41 AM

Pig Bond is a commoner only feat that gives you a pig with weight equal to your max carrying capacity. If you ever are more than 5ft from it, Orcus spawns and flays you (not actually an Orcus joke)
Since the pig never gets any bigger, it becomes increasingly dense as Festering Anger pumps your Str. Infinitely so.

Oh, D&D. Why you so silly?

Molosse
2015-06-16, 06:29 AM
I ran out of title room but also Fighting Phacochoerus.

Pathfinder builds are also acceptable, but I'd much prefer 3.X
To the point though, I'm looking for a build uses a pig of some sort as its main weapon.
Not including things like wild shape, I want the pig to be separate entity to the character.

Preferably I'd like the pig to charge in and attack whilst the character stays back and does whatever, as opposed to be dropped/launched on things or being swung at things.

This is also a practical build, though I'm not object to having fun with TO or pig launching/swinging builds.

I'd also like to see ways of acquiring the pig, seeing as I can't see it listed in the adventuring equipment section.

No homebrew/third party thanks, dragon mag is okay.

Since I'm only comfortable with PF I'll throw a PF build out:

(Beast Rider) Cavalier 9 (Order of the Sword)/Mammoth Rider 10

(Charger) Boar

Grab Eye-For-Talent in exchange for your Human Bonus Feat and talk to your DM about allowing you to take a Boar as your Beast-Rider mount even though you won't be able to have it Large until level 7.

I) Grab Tusk Blades for your Boar at level 1 to have it deal an additional damage type (Slashing) and increases the crit modifier from x2/20 to x2/19-20 which specifically stacks with other effects. In addition make your Boar a Charger to both gain half your challenge damage when you use the ability.
II) At level 4 the Boar becomes a Medium animal and will currently rock 18Str and by level 3 will be able to wear a Master-crafted Chain Shirt w/Armoured Skirt without any to hit penalties due to the Chargers "Barding Training"
III) At level 7 the Boar becomes Large due to the Beast Rider archetype and also rocks 21Str, which is important because at level 8 the Order of the Sword allows the Cavalier to add half his mounts Str bonus to his charge damage.
IV) At level 10 the Boar becomes Huge due to the Mammoth Rider PrC and thus rocks 24Str.

After level 10 the Boar just becomes progressively more scary as it's strength and constitution increase. Also take in mind the above Str isn't altered by the Eye-For-Talent ability nor the normal AC ability score increases so it could be up-to 6 higher by the time you hit level 9, which remains important when one considers both the level 8 Order of the Sword ability to add 1/2 the AC's strength to your Charge attack, and the level 8 Mammoth Lord ability which does the same thing as long as your AC can take a Free Action. Finally make sure to grab the Horsemasters Saddle so that any Teamwork feats you have as a Rider will automatically pass onto your mount.

So aye, don't think you can get a scarier Pig in Pathfinder.

ekarney
2015-06-16, 07:19 AM

I actually got the idea from that thread
Wasn't it like 1 commoner has festering anger and the pig and another commoner/hulking hurler or commoner/drunken master who had festering anger for longer ties the first commoner to the pig and throws them at things/destroys planets?

-snip-
So aye, don't think you can get a scarier Pig in Pathfinder.

I might use that if my swashbuckler dies, there's currently 2 minionmancers (I'm unsure what class) and a rogue
So I feel it could work

I've been looking through some handbooks and I wonder if it's possible to get a high-int pig to teach it tricks, and subsequently slap on warbeast and go for a handle animal build

Vhaidara
2015-06-16, 09:03 AM
You need cancer mage to abuse festering anger. It negates the con damage from the disease.

Karl Aegis
2015-06-16, 09:15 AM
Can't you just have a 16 in constitution and a feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#mindOverBody) to completely negate the downside instead of going cancer mage? You use less feats in the long run and a 16 in constitution isn't all that bad.

ekarney
2015-06-16, 09:41 AM
You need cancer mage to abuse festering anger. It negates the con damage from the disease.

I forgot to type that in, whoops, though as stated there is at least one other way of negating it
Binding Naberius might be another, though i cant remember the exact numbers right now.

Unless it's ability drain.

Nevertheless, I'm stuck between deciding which is the lesser of two evils - an animal companion, or an animal cohort though I could purchase a magebred animal then possibly warbeasting it. The issue then though, becomes both tricks and downtime.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-16, 10:53 AM
Pig Bonded + Cancer Mage + Festering Anger lets you get a very heavy pig. All you have to do is teleport into the air (flying won't work, the pig is very heavy), and then drop on top of them for 20d6 damage at a time. A dip into Conjurer for Abrupt Jaunt gives a very easy way to do this, and Horizon Walker 6 for Dimension Door at-will works too.

Oh, D&D. Why you so silly?

They didn't expect us to take an April Fool's article seriously, but now it's part of TO. I love this community.

thethird
2015-06-16, 02:13 PM
A razor boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) might be a suitable unusual mount for a 13th level paladin (or a character with the special mount class feature at 13th level). A dire boar explicitly comes online at 7th level.

ekarney
2015-06-16, 11:23 PM
A razor boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) might be a suitable unusual mount for a 13th level paladin (or a character with the special mount class feature at 13th level). A dire boar explicitly comes online at 7th level.
I believe a standard boar would sit me from 3rd - 5th level

Can I use mounts to charge in while I stay behind?