PDA

View Full Version : DnD Visual Novel?

Mr. Mask
2015-06-16, 08:05 AM
A thought occurred. There don't seem to be many roleplaying game style visual novels, even though the two share a lot of similarities. Narrative based, check. Often associated with interesting art, check. Making choices at specific junctions, check. Railroad plot, check. Statistical turn based combat, check (this is more unusual, but several visual novels have included such).

Is this something someone should make? If so, what should it be like, what would make you interested in such a project? My main thoughts turn to some of the pick a path books that are still going, which would seem to lend themselves well enough to full on visual novel interface.

When I think of RPG Visual Novel, I tend to think Radical Dreamers (which I thought was great).

EccentricCircle
2015-06-16, 11:32 AM
I got into D&D via the Fighting Fantasy books, which are a series of choose your own adventure type stories, where you play an adventurer. they are really well illustrated, so that you had art for most major events in the plot. They also include game play elements, such as skill checks and using dice to resolve battles, so are sort of a half way house between choose your own adventure and proper RPGs. There hasn't been a new FF book for a while, but there are some newer series like Destiny Quest which do the same thing.

Erth16
2015-06-16, 12:13 PM
Aside from the annoying constant fanservice and horrible humor, I really got a High Fantasy Sword and Sorcery Vibe from the Agarest: Generations of War series. The tactical gameplay was really good and unique, but I couldn't bring myself to finish the game due to well, the aforementioned fanservice and terrible jokes everywhere in the somewhat decent story. The choices you had mostly determined which women liked your current generation hero, and thus who would have the kid with the best stats with him, as well as what skills, spells, and weapon proficiencies he inherited. The constant changing of the human characters due to the sheer number of generations also hurt the narrative in my opinion, as well as making the game a horrible grind if you didn't perfectly manage your eugenics program.

That said I haven't seen one specifically about getting the feel of dnd, but Agarest did kind of feel like my old campaigns from when I was a freshman in high school.