PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help needed with creating a 5th edition Force-Wizard.

Kalegkos
2015-06-16, 09:12 AM
Good evening, good evening dear giant forum. How'dy fellas and lasses? :smallcool:

Listen up, i want to create a mountain dwarf wizard for a Birthright campaign.

I will start at 5 lvl, Krynn rules for use of magic and conclave still exist for us, and if i pass the test i will ding 6 level immediately.

The concept is that i want to create a wizard, specifically wizard, and make him something like Force user. Yes a Jedi or Sith or in between, we will see about that.

I would like to hear some suggestions. On my "to read" list is the Treantmonk's guide about wizards, but i always really appreciate the thoughts of this forum.

So thank you anyhow! Either you just read it, help, suggest, or even find it useful to get some ideas on your own.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-16, 10:04 AM
Good evening, good evening dear giant forum. How'dy fellas and lasses? :smallcool:

I will start at 5 lvl, Krynn rules for use of magic and conclave still exist for us, and if i pass the test i will ding 6 level immediately.

The concept is that i want to create a wizard, specifically wizard, and make him something like Force user. Yes a Jedi or Sith or in between, we will see about that.

I would like to hear some suggestions. On my "to read" list is the Treantmonk's guide about wizards, but i always really appreciate the thoughts of this forum.

So thank you anyhow! Either you just read it, help, suggest, or even find it useful to get some ideas on your own.

I homebrewed the jedi class, but if you want to be a fighting/magic class, go Warlock(Bladelock). (Link to Jedi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421085-Jedi-Class(May-the-Force-be-with-you))). If you still want to be a Wizard, look at transmutation. It has some useful things. Also look at v. human for free feat(Warcaster) and at lvl 4 feat(weapon skilled)

Easy_Lee
2015-06-16, 10:24 AM
This can be done with the transmutation school, which includes spells like telekinesis and has a feature that let's you remove poisons, retain youth, and even raise the dead at high levels. Take the mage hand and mending cantrips for sure, and make sure to use both as often as possible.

For a more fighty Jedi, arcane trickster might do the trick.

Kalegkos
2015-06-16, 12:21 PM
@ImSAMazing+@Easy_Lee

That's my mistake for not making this clear. I didn't mean to fight like a Jedi or else yes an Eldritch Knight or Trickster would be suitable.

What i was aiming for is to have the beliefs of a force user and use spells that could be translated, from dnd to force magic. That's how i have it in my mind. The example that Easy_Lee gave, for spells, was kinda was i was looking for.

Although i would like to see the homebrew class :smallsmile:

Both thank you already, you have helped :smallbiggrin:

DivisibleByZero
2015-06-16, 12:33 PM
A player at our table wanted to play a Jedi type character, so we created the following:

Note that monks already get a lot of other jedi-like powers as class features (step of the wind, slow fall, deflect projectiles, and still mind cover most of the remaining canon jedi powers).

The Jedi receives Force Attuned and Lightsaber at level 3, and chooses Force Powers at levels 3, 6, 11, and 17.

Force Attuned
You learn the mage hand cantrip if you did not know it already.

Lightsaber
As a bonus action on your turn, you can manifest a gleaming blade of radiant force from a specially prepared hilt, which you are proficient with and counts as a monk weapon. The blade has the finesse and versatile properties, and deals 1d6 radiant damage on an hit. Your unarmed strike, martial arts, and flurry attacks can be made with the Lightsaber or with your unarmed strike, individually for each attack, as you prefer. Any features, skills, and abilities which benefit your unarmed strike can also be used with your Lightsaber.

Force Powers
At each of levels 3, 6, 11, and 17 the Jedi chooses two powers from the following list. He chooses an innate power and a trained power. Innate powers are abilities that the Jedi has a natural affinity for, but has not practiced enough to become fully proficient in their use. Trained powers are innate powers that have been mastered by the Jedi, and as such have a lower Ki cost and an higher save DC (if applicable).

Alter Perceptions
(Ki cost: 2 innate / 1 trained, Wis save)
Distract an enemy. Make a Wisdom check (+prof if trained). The result is the Wis save DC.

Empathy
(Ki cost: 1 innate, cannot be trained)
Opposed Wis check. If successful, you learn the general attitude and mood of a creature, and gain advantage on your next social or opposed ability check against it in the next minute.

Enhance Senses
(Ki cost: 3 innate / 2 trained)
Initial benefit: Gain advantage on perception, investigation and intuition checks. Requires concentration.
Secondary benefit: If you pay twice the cost and sacrifice the initial benefit, you instead gain blindsight. This benefit requires both concentration and the expenditure of one force point every round.

Fear (dark side)
Make an Wis check (+prof if trained). The result equals the Cha save DC. If successful, the target is frightened as long as you maintain concentration. The target gets a new save at the end of each of its turns.

Force Grip (dark side)
(Ki cost: 4 innate / 3 trained)
Make an Int check (+prof if trained). The result equals the Con save DC. If successful, the target is grappled (at range, this supersedes the general rule about grapple range) and takes 2d6 damage each round that you concentrate, plus an additional 1d6 for each point spent above the initial cost. The target gets a new save at the end of each of its turns.

Force Heal
Heal a creature of 1d8 + wisdom modifier damage, plus an additional 1d8 for each point spent above the initial cost.

Force Illusion
At level 3, you can cast Minor Illusion. (Ki cost: 2 innate / 1 trained)
At level 6, you can cast Silent Image. (Ki cost: 3 innate / 2 trained)
At level 11, you can cast Major Image. (Ki cost: 5 innate / 3 trained)
These illusions only affect a single target of your choice.

Force Lightning (dark side)
(Ki cost: 2 innate / 1 trained)
You cast Witch Bolt. Each additional point spent counts as an extra spell level.

Force Strike (some uses dark side)
Make an Int check (+prof if trained). The result equals the Str save DC. Up to four adjacent targets take 3d4 damage, are pushed 10 feet, and fall prone. On a successful save, the targets take half damage and are not pushed or knocked prone. If used against intelligent living targets, this becomes a dark side power.

Friendship
(Ki cost: 1 innate / 0 trained)
You cast the Friends cantrip.

Hurl Object (some uses dark side)
(requires Move Object to be trained) (Ki cost: variable, see Move Object)
When you use Move Object, you may throw the item with enough force and velocity to deal damage. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 damage for each point of force required to move the object (not for each point spent to move the object). If the object hurled is a living creature, it takes the damage as well. If used on or against a living creature, this becomes a dark side power.

Imbue Lightsaber
(Ki cost: 1 permanent Ki point) (level 6 required)
Your Lightsaber gains a +1 to attack and damage rolls. You can gain this Force Power up to three times and the effects of doing so stack, but you may not take this power more than once at any given level. The first time you take this power you must learn it as a trained ability. Each subsequent time it may be taken as an innate ability if you choose.

Mind Trick
As per Suggestion, except the following. Make a Wis check (+prof if trained). Result equals the save Cha DC.

Move Object
You can lift and move an object weighing 10 lbs or less. Each time you double the current cost increases this limit by a factor of 10, becoming 100 lbs at a cost of 4/2, 1000 lbs at a cost of 8/4, etc. If used against a living creature, the target gets a Wis save to negate the effect. Make an Int check (+prof if trained). The result equals the save DC.

Prolong Force
(must be chosen as a trained ability)
You may choose to spend Hit Points to power your Force Powers instead of Ki. The Hit Point cost is equal to three times the untrained (or innate) Ki cost, regardless of whether you are trained in the Force Power being used or not.

Sense Force
(must be chosen as a trained ability)
DM Fiat premonitions

Telepathy
You can create a mental link with any creature that you have met who is on the same plane and planet. Through this link you can send emotions and a five word message to the target.

I know you said "wizard, specifically wizard," but I still thought I'd share, in case someone else stumbles across this and might want to see it.

Kalegkos
2015-06-17, 02:03 AM
@DivisibleByZero I know i said "specifically wizard" but that's just for me. That archetype seems really cool though. Seems balanced and fun, will check it out :smallbiggrin: Thnx for leaving this here :smallsmile:

darkscizor
2015-06-17, 08:55 PM
The only two words I see are Force and Wizard. Magic and Missile are the only two words my weird brain will allow me to give.

Draken
2015-06-17, 10:38 PM
@ImSAMazing+@Easy_Lee

That's my mistake for not making this clear. I didn't mean to fight like a Jedi or else yes an Eldritch Knight or Trickster would be suitable.

What i was aiming for is to have the beliefs of a force user and use spells that could be translated, from dnd to force magic. That's how i have it in my mind. The example that Easy_Lee gave, for spells, was kinda was i was looking for.

Although i would like to see the homebrew class :smallsmile:

Both thank you already, you have helped :smallbiggrin:

Beliefs are easy since they have no real mechanical impact. You could build their mechanical effects around having History, Religion and Arcana trained I suppose.

Actual powers would probably be best modeled with Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp, Command, Suggestion, Launch, Telekinesis and Lightning Bolt for the more famous force powers. No 4th level spells in that selection, but I suppose Confusion and Otiluke's Resilient Sphere would do the trick.

Paeleus
2015-06-18, 12:19 AM
I am playing a character who is situationally very jedi like, though that was not necessarily the intention. Long story short, I am only choosing spells that have no material component (or at least thus far no gold valued material components). To me, this is very Jedi-like.

Check out the catapult spell from EE. Hold Person is pretty Vader. Animate Objects is catapult refined fluff-wise in my book. Telekinesis, mage hand (though arcane tricksters mage hand is preferable), Friends, Charm person (improved friends cantrip), Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts, Suggestion, Jump, feather fall, Lightning Bolt (screw witchbolt, a high level jedi/sith is more "realistically" able to use force lightning imo) and thunderwave are all pretty no brainer spell choices for an aspiring Jed&di.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-18, 03:17 AM
Jedi Homebrewed Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421085-Jedi-Class(May-the-Force-be-with-you))

Bohrdumb
2015-06-18, 01:34 PM
I know you're learning Wizard, but a Tempest Cleric could give some interesting choices as well as a Trickery Cleric.

Plus you'll be stronger in Wisdom and Jedis seem more Wise than Intelligent.

Kalegkos
2015-06-19, 05:09 AM
@darkscizor That's the spirit :smallcool:

@Draken That's a spell list that suits like a glove in what i was looking for. Thanx a lot!

@Paeleus Same works for you mate too. That's the concept!

@ImSAMazing I am totally diging into this in a campaign, be sure. Also be sure that i will give the credits! :smallbiggrin:

@Bohrdumb Truth has been spoken about the Wis/Int but, for campaign reasons, i need to choose wizard.

Thank you all for the replies, you have given me lots of ideas and info. Will leave this open for a bit more in case someone else has knowledge to share with us.

Also i'm sorry for the delayed answer but real life is harsh :smalltongue:

Kibbo86
2015-06-19, 06:49 AM
Since you are going to be limiting your spells for the sake of flavour, might I suggest you consider Sorcerer instead of Wizard?

Metamagic makes the limited number of spells more versatile. Subtle Spell in particular fits your theme, so that casting Suggestion doesn't need chanting or waving your hands.

The abilities of a draconic sorc all fit your theme, even if the armor and flying might need to be reflavoured. The draconic language choice and advantage on social skills might need to be changed, but those are secondary characteristics of the class.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I like metamagic to make your force powers more dynamic.

Stopped by two stormtroopers? Twinned Suggestion makes them both realize these aren't the droids they are looking for.

Pushed into a carbon freezing chamber? Quickened Jump cures what ails you. Need to grab something your enemy dropped? Quickened Mage Hand or Telekinesis mimics a force pull.

And Charisma as your casting stat means you are casting with your focused will, not fancy book learning.

Kalegkos
2015-06-25, 04:41 AM
@Kibbo86 That's actually a really good option. I really, really, really like it. I will definitely consider into dipping for sorcerer. Will see, still have a little time to decide :smallsmile:

Thanx a lot all of you for answering and sharing your opinions! I will make this thread as answered because i don't think i need more information. Again thank you all for helping and be well!

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-25, 09:37 AM

A friend of me made the Jedi, check it out (homebrew forum)