PDA

View Full Version : The Wicked Roy is Dead, Yay!

doliemaster
2007-04-25, 11:04 PM
I have to say YAY roy is dead. I just like it when the villian wins and I must say with roy dead the OOTS can fall apart only for really screwed up things to happen, I am hoping for an evil!elan, a Powermad!Vaarasuvies and of course a Free as crap, crazy psychopathic!Belkar [Even more than usual]
and maybe even a Hulk joke, so I hope roy stays dead since he is the only voice of reason!

Shadic
2007-04-25, 11:08 PM
I very much dislike you for enjoying the death of my favorite character. Imagine how many people would be whining if Elan actually died, or something.

EYanyo
2007-04-25, 11:12 PM
Blasphemy! Roy is truly the best of the bunch.

By the way, from your post, it seems like you aren't really against Roy, you just like the concept of Xykon beating him. It it's the latter, that's cool then.

doliemaster
2007-04-25, 11:15 PM
I really don't like reason, roy isn't funny, he is just there for sanity, which I don't like, I want the whole comic to go crazy, and I can truly see that with roy dead because without a lawful good leader, the party can get out of the war and back to self-service!

BardicLasher
2007-04-25, 11:24 PM
Roy IS the voice of reason... The group's far more disfunctional and crazy without one... But Durkon's usually reasonable, too...

malakim2099
2007-04-25, 11:27 PM
Wow, and I didn't realize trolls had Forum Posting (Ex) in their abilities set. :smalltongue:

Someone should update the SRD.

Demented
2007-04-25, 11:28 PM
But Durkon's usually reasonable, too...

Seriously. You'll never get crazy, wacked-out antics so long as Durkon is around. Heck, Roy is better at being wacked-out than Durkon is. "I am kicking your fallen ass RIGHT NOW!"

Hinjo doesn't help much either. He even forced Belkar to do a semi-good act! The horror!

doliemaster
2007-04-25, 11:30 PM
Yeah but Durkon can be fixed with some beer, we all know he can't hold his beer!:smallbiggrin: Now who else hopes that Roy stays dead and Durkon is a fun drunk.

Demented
2007-04-25, 11:34 PM
Who ever heard of a dwarf that can't hold his beer?

StormHunter2400
2007-04-25, 11:35 PM
... upon reading that i possessed the strangest feeling... i had the desire to mercelessly pummel someone to a bloody pulp...

ok ill give you it might be interesting without roy for a short time... but him staying dead, no... end of subject.

Lorde
2007-04-25, 11:35 PM
Holy mother of all trolls, this post screams "flame".

doliemaster
2007-04-25, 11:38 PM
Well, in all truth I think Roy is a down right killjoy I mean he is all right right this help help that, I want insanity to possess all those things I was talking about and to get those I need Roy out of the way:smallfrown: can't yal' imagine OOTS without roy?

Message paid for by friends of insanity.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-25, 11:38 PM
Yeah but Durkon can be fixed with some beer, we all know he can't hold his beer!:smallbiggrin: Now who else hopes that Roy stays dead and Durkon is a fun drunk.

Durkon has yet to be shown as drunk in the comic despite having put down 10 or more beers in as many seconds. I think you mean "Belkar can't hold his beer." But really, we can't blame the little midget either, 'cause that was a lot of beer.

Legendary
2007-04-25, 11:39 PM
Indeed it does. Also: run-on sentences make my brain hurt.

I expect that Roy will be back before Girard's Gate. If not, I'd like VERY good reasons why. We've put so much time into HIS story, having the main character change (presumably to Elan, who is getting the most character development nowadays), would be far too abrupt and a bit sloppy.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-25, 11:39 PM

Actually Durkon, like all dwarves, is very good at holding his booze.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html

Here they drink ten beers and Durkon doesn't even act tipsy.

Lizard Lord
2007-04-25, 11:41 PM
Well, in all truth I think Roy is a down right killjoy I mean he is all right right this help help that, I want insanity to possess all those things I was talking about and to get those I need Roy out of the way:smallfrown: can't yal' imagine OOTS without roy?

Message paid for by friends of insanity.
The invention of the straight man has its purpose you know.

Insanity is good and all but, like with all things, it is best not to overdose.

NeonRonin
2007-04-25, 11:42 PM
I would like to offer my two copper pieces in and say that I have never viewed Roy as 'wicked', in fact I once mentioned I can relate to him quite often. (I have on occasion had Belkar-like thoughts, but my Roy side usually wins out over those.) I personally find nothing to celebrate in Roy's death and pray the Order avenges(and Raises) him in short order, or at least as soon as reasonably possible.

malakim2099
2007-04-25, 11:44 PM
Indeed it does. Also: run-on sentences make my brain hurt.

I expect that Roy will be back before Girard's Gate. If not, I'd like VERY good reasons why. We've put so much time into HIS story, having the main character change (presumably to Elan, who is getting the most character development nowadays), would be far too abrupt and a bit sloppy.

Actually, if it does turn out that Roy is gone for a while, I suspect Haley is going to take center stage as the leader. However, I would be very surprised if Roy doesn't come back in some manner.

doliemaster
2007-04-25, 11:45 PM
The wicked part was a reference from the Wizard of Oz. You know 'The wicked witch is dead"? I hope he stays dead so I can see those things I mentioned but don't feel like retyping, so please Roy don't come back.

Legendary
2007-04-25, 11:49 PM
Please Roy, DO come back. You have so many unresolved subplots. You still had so much character development to go through. You still have a few last oaths and promises to keep... If you go, the comic... it'll be dark as OOTS w/o Elan.

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-25, 11:52 PM
Wow, doliemaster... the centerpiece of your signature is quite fitting. :smallamused:

Vladimir
2007-04-26, 12:34 AM
This is the stupidest thread in the history of the internet and I oppose everything the OP has to say about anything. But I may be biased.

K2
2007-04-26, 01:42 AM
Hey, imagine all of the fun shenanigans that will happen if Xykon and Belkar join up. It works out 'cause either Redcloak or Xykon should be high enough level to remove to mark of justice. And after the mark is gone the three of them can slaughter AC together. Oh what a happy thought, it is sure to make Belkar jolly.

Mordokai
2007-04-26, 01:49 AM
Oh well, internet is rather large place, and you find all kind of people on it. Personaly, I also wish Roy comes back sometime in the future, since I'm also a member of a sanity likers, and too much insanity would probably ruin this comic. So please, bring Roy back. As corporal human being, if possible.

Sinsie
2007-04-26, 01:53 AM
It's good to have your own opinion on things, but I don't see the story changing so dramatically that the point of the story isn't how to prevent the end of the world but to instead see the bad guys carrying out their own agendas.

Although we do see a lot of what the bad guys are up to every now and then. :p

Turcano
2007-04-26, 02:02 AM
Wow, and I didn't realize trolls had Forum Posting (Ex) in their abilities set. :smalltongue:

Ooh, diss! *

Moechi_Vill
2007-04-26, 02:33 AM
I was hoping the critters would splat on him in a few extra panels, but Roy being dead works for me. ;^_=

Why? Mostly because I'm a Miko lover.

I very much dislike you for enjoying the death of my favorite character. Imagine how many people would be whining if Elan actually died, or something.

That would be wonderful (#1 p.o.v.).

Because I find him unentertaining and screamingly dull, and Haley as well. The characters I like in this book are everyone minus those three and maybe V and maybe Durkon. All the secondary characters are not sterotypes, which is my grief with Elan, Haley and maybe Durkon. I dislike the Elf's continued joke on ambiguity when he was clearly the V-man and Roy is 'straight man' and very correct within the strip's values. Belkar is a bit of a sterotype too, so I'm saying I like all the background of the comic, but hate the foreground.

Quellfrisch
2007-04-26, 02:35 AM
I still can't belief "sniff"
this is mean ... *sniff*
*oh Roy* ...

Green Bean
2007-04-26, 02:37 AM
Actually Durkon, like all dwarves, is very good at holding his booze.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html

Here they drink ten beers and Durkon doesn't even act tipsy.

That's because dwarves have two livers. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html)

Tharr
2007-04-26, 02:43 AM
The joke was the last final thing for going through Roys head?

Answer the ground.

What then were there colors of Roys eyes?

Blue as in they blew out head and turned into Xs.

Detect Xykon fan thread.

Tmabbbb
2007-04-26, 10:03 PM
Yay! Roy is dead! I am happy too!

Thexare Blademoon
2007-04-26, 10:08 PM
A comic consisting of nothing but pointless insanity, which is as far as I can tell what the original poster proposes, loses its entertainment value so fast you'd think a Wizard was screwing around with Time Stop.

Luvlein
2007-04-26, 10:36 PM
I'm usually of the opinion that dead people should stay dead, but after reading this thread I know that Roy has to come back.

Axl_Rose
2007-04-26, 10:46 PM
That's because dwarves have two livers. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/../comics/oots0375.html)

Good catch! I didn't even notice that the first time lol

Darkbane
2007-04-26, 11:16 PM
You know, if you don't like a webcomic you're free not to read it. If you prefer randomness or insanity, choose random words from the dictionary, write them down in order, and read them. See? Order is nice sometimes.

doliemaster
2007-04-27, 07:09 AM
I love the comic I just thought the earlier ones, which had 20 percent more randomness were better than the war comics.

Tobrian
2007-04-27, 07:41 AM
I love the comic I just thought the earlier ones, which had 20 percent more randomness were better than the war comics.

I'm curious, how exactly did you measure this percentage?
Yeah the war... well, it's called a storyline.

I really don't like reason, roy isn't funny, he is just there for sanity, which I don't like, I want the whole comic to go crazy, and I can truly see that with roy dead because without a lawful good leader, the party can get out of the war and back to self-service!

You know, I've never actually played D&D Planescape, but now I know what the mind of a Xaositect looks like. It's been... enlightening. I think I'll stick to some other Faction.*

[*Considering how in 3rd edition, the Lady of Pain disbanded all the Factions in Sigil anyway, according to DRAGON magazine and latest supplements, doliemaster is obviously a Xaositect rebel, seeing by how he disdains to spell "doily (http://www.true-magic.com/comic/view.php?id=105)" wrong. :smallwink: ]

titan_monarch
2007-04-27, 11:39 AM

Semi-relevant link: How to Spot and Deal With a Troll! (http://www.daemonpage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3129)

EvilJames
2007-04-27, 12:05 PM
I have serious doubts about how much of this you actually think should happen dollmaster (i also doubt that the centerpiece of your sig is something thats even close to being an accurate description of you, ie. you specificly tried to get that one "cause it's cool") come on man. You're just trying too hard to be taken seriously

None of the things you said would happen if Roy stayed dead in fact they are far more likly with him alive. A ws previously stated Roy is the straightman to the entire group. The comic would cease to be funny very shortly if any of that did happen w/o Roy to react to it.

PS and what self service would they be getting back too? The only self servicing characters are V and Belkar and niether one would take the reins of the party after this, So I'm not sure what it is you are getting at.

PPS YAY Planescape my favorite campaign setting

Darkbane
2007-04-27, 08:04 PM
What, exactly, is so funny about complete chaos? The small amount usually present in OotS is enough to inject extra humor, but too much makes it boring and nonsensical.

EntilZha
2007-04-27, 08:45 PM

The Giant deliberately put him in the "straight man" role, which can sometimes be quite hilarious.

cucchulainnn
2007-04-27, 08:53 PM
This is gona sound funny, but the group needs a strait man to bounce stuff off of. I don’t think any one but Roy has the right chemistry with the party to make it work. Off course I release that it is all written by rich, but the characters have developed individual personalities.

And yes I like the earlier strips too. I just got a copy of dungeon crawling fools and all the stupid rules jokes are great.

Setra
2007-04-27, 09:38 PM
roy isn't funny
Three words

"Treasure Type O"

cavalier973
2007-04-27, 10:06 PM
roy isn't funny

Some of Roy's funniest lines are things he says to Elan

Elan: Wooo! I'm invisible! You can't see me!
Roy: How I wish that were true.

Elan: ...I know you can't see me because I'm so good at hiding now!
Roy: Actually, I can't see you because I would rather poke my eyes out with
a burning stick than open them right now.

Snipers_Promise
2007-04-27, 11:36 PM
Some more:

Roy:I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers.

Sliverghost
2007-04-27, 11:38 PM
im sad he is dead but i like it when the bad guy wins, if only for a bit.

Icewalker
2007-04-27, 11:58 PM
:roy: Before meeting Elan I would never have weighed the pros and cons of getting eaten by a dragon.

doliemaster
2007-04-28, 01:36 AM
Really I am just tried of the war strips and am hoping rich gets back to his eailer style soon it's getting TO serious for my taste and I am hoping that with roy dead rich could introduce a character that is like roy but without the attachments to the war so it can be like the ealier strips agian, 'sigh' a man can dream.:smallfrown:

Tharr
2007-04-28, 02:52 AM
The great Roy will back hope they loot his corpse.

Setra
2007-04-28, 04:18 AM
:roy: You realize, if I could purchase a weapon, I would stab you with it now.

Tarl
2007-04-28, 08:27 AM
Myself, the only time I ever liked Roy was when he puked on that paladin. But I think you loyal Roy fans ought to be careful what you wish for, remember Redcloak is a lot closer to Roy's carcass then Durkon... and Redcloak knows how tough Roy is and takes him more seriously as a threat, and Redcloak can make all kinds of nifty undead things, like death knights and what have you.

So while I'm sure your beloved Roy will be comming back, what will he be comming back as?

phobiandarkmoon
2007-05-01, 06:46 AM
Roy will come back. Plain and simple. It's the unwritten rule of narrative - if you set out to do something, one main task or plot, at the start of the story, then you have to complete it.

You can have all kinds of amusing things go wrong along the way (in this case, death), but at the end you need to have the victory. Who would read a whodunnit novel which concludes with the detective not knowing who did it?

However, I think this will be a time for Roy to spend as a ghost - iirc, the Giant said in the comments of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools that he felt he'd missed an opportunity to do ghost strips for Belkar, and I think he may want to do so now...

EDIT: Damn my faulty memory, it was actually Round 8 of No Cure for the Paladin Blues.

shaddy_24
2007-05-01, 05:00 PM
This is rediculous. If all the stuff you said came true (and there's no way with some of them, I mean, evil Elan?), then there is no way the order would stay together. Durkon would get sick of it and leave, Haley would go off to free her father (taking Elan), V would begin trying to learn those 4 words and Belkar would kill things until he died. Maybe there are people who would find that great, but I would be dissapointed and would probably quit.

Dudukain
2007-05-01, 05:10 PM
Keep in mind, of course, that without Roy, Miko would have been dead long ago.

Woot Spitum
2007-05-01, 09:33 PM
Honestly, if I want random humor from a group of psychopaths, I read 8-bit Theatre. OOTS without Roy would simply get dull, because there would be no one around to make snarky remarks whenever Elan says or does something stupid, or when Belkar does something psycho. Admit it, no one does that sort of thing better than Roy.

ref
2007-05-02, 05:57 AM
Well, evil Elan already exists... we call it 'Nale'.

My guess is that Roy will come back, but not right away. But then again, what do I know?

And to the OP, one can only say: You require more Vespene gas!

Twilight Jack
2007-05-02, 11:45 AM
Honestly, if I want random humor from a group of psychopaths, I read 8-bit Theatre. OOTS without Roy would simply get dull, because there would be no one around to make snarky remarks whenever Elan says or does something stupid, or when Belkar does something psycho. Admit it, no one does that sort of thing better than Roy.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Zynex
2007-05-02, 12:04 PM

I see you enjoy the anti-hero view eh?

Anyway, I can't tell you how to view Roy's death as a good or bad thing, although i can say that Durkon can hold his grog quite magnificently. It's Belkar that can't stay sober after 10 mugs of lager, as demonstrated during the new year celebration in Azure City. Not sure which strip # that was but i think that justifies my point.

Aimbot
2007-05-02, 12:59 PM
The invention of the straight man has its purpose you know.

Insanity is good and all but, like with all things, it is best not to overdose.

Turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly!

JazzManJim
2007-05-02, 01:27 PM
The Giant deliberately put him in the "straight man" role, which can sometimes be quite hilarious.

I've never really seen him in that role.

I've seen him a lot more in the "snarky-man" role - the one who always delivers the cutting remark, generally to the person who's not likely to take unbrage at the insult or who won't understand it as such (or if they do, won't do very much about it if they do). He wasn't as likely to make the smarmy comments to someone who would mop the floor with him. That made him a character I couldn't like very much.

That said, I sincerely hope that when he comes back to life he's not quite as much an ass as he seemed to me.

Elurindel
2007-05-02, 04:31 PM
I have to say YAY roy is dead. I just like it when the villian wins and I must say with roy dead the OOTS can fall apart only for really screwed up things to happen, I am hoping for an evil!elan, a Powermad!Vaarasuvies and of course a Free as crap, crazy psychopathic!Belkar [Even more than usual]
and maybe even a Hulk joke, so I hope roy stays dead since he is the only voice of reason!

Considering that you put an exclamation mark before the names here, does this mean you want an evil...not Elan, or Powermad....not Vaarsuvius?

Sammi_Somara
2007-05-02, 05:15 PM
I thought I didnt really like roy. I never really liked Roy...until he was gone. Then, I just started thinking about what the comic would be like in the future...and I realized how horrible this comic would be without him.
Roy is a good person, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, ya hear? I say we should all pray for Roy to come back.
Besides, if you want to direct your hatred at a lawful character, please, do us all a favor and rip on Miko--she deserves it, not Roy.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-02, 08:32 PM
And if you don't have one voice of reason amidst the crazyness, most of the jokes lose half their fun... :smallwink:

Alfryd
2007-05-05, 02:08 AM
I was hoping the critters would splat on him in a few extra panels, but Roy being dead works for me. ;^_=

Why? Mostly because I'm a Miko lover.
I kinda got that feeling too...
Hey Roy! Howdja like them apples, bitch! Hah! Jackass.
But mainly because it didn't occur to me to be worried that Roy would wind up permanently dead. Roy is going to fine. That's a given. So I just smirked a little at that stiff neck being snapped after Xykon explicitly offered to do what he was telling him to in the first place.

I kinda lost all respect for Roy as a character after Belkar's 'WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?!' strip. if Roy knows that Belkar is truly like this, there is no way in hell that a LG leader could possibly stomach his presence in the party short of Lawful Stupidity, Mark of Justice or not. I'm just not buying it anymore.

Because I find [Elan] unentertaining and screamingly dull, and Haley as well. The characters I like in this book are everyone minus those three and maybe V and maybe Durkon. All the secondary characters are not sterotypes, which is my grief with Elan, Haley and maybe Durkon...
Xykon and Nale are fairly clearly stereotypical- in Nale's case, it's practically his life ambition. Miko does take after more than a few animé clichés physically, but the character is novel enough.

Elan can be amusing on occasion, but he's become a little predictable of late ...in addition to dumb, trite, and derivative. Haley seems adequate humour-wise, albeit mainly in a support role as befits a rogue.
"Before meeting Elan I would never have weighed the pros and cons of getting eaten by a dragon."
That's true, actually. A lot of Roy' humour was more or less dependant on the never-ending stream of Elan-related exhasperation. Which isn't to say that hasn't also run thin...

I dislike the Elf's continued joke on ambiguity when he was clearly the V-man and Roy is 'straight man' and very correct within the strip's values. Belkar is a bit of a sterotype too...
Much I loathe and detest the malignant headhunter leprechaun, I fail to see how he's exactly stereotypical. Yes, the gender gimmick has been running a little thin since... about strip 10. Roy has a decent amount of character depth, but any subtlety to Haley's psyche was kinda thrown out the window when her underlying festering neuroses were explained to us with diagrams.

[Roy] wasn't as likely to make the smarmy comments to someone who would mop the floor with him. That made him a character I couldn't like very much.
In fairness, Elan and Belkar generally had it coming.

iirc, the Giant said in the comments of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools that he felt he'd missed an opportunity to do ghost strips for Belkar, and I think he may want to do so now...
You're kidding me.
You mean... Rich had the entire party defend Belkar and spark a 3rd fracas with Miko over something that was completely unnecesary plotwise?
What? What the..? What the hell?

Keep in mind, of course, that without Roy, Miko would have been dead long ago.
I wouldn't count on that. ...at the least, so would several members of the OotS.

phobiandarkmoon
2007-05-05, 02:18 AM
<snip>

You're kidding me.
You mean... Rich had the entire party defend Belkar and spark a 3rd fracas with Miko over something that was completely unnecesary plotwise?

I wouldn't count on that. ...at the least, so would several members of the OotS.

Not what I said. The giant said in the comments that if Belkar had died, he could have had some fun doing ghost strips. Not that the encounter was unnecessary or, indeed, defend him unnecessarily - indeed, that was the whole point. Like it or not, Belkar -is- a member of the group, and despite all his horrible traits he really is a good warrior, and therefore useful

Demented
2007-05-05, 02:24 AM
Hey Roy! Howdja like them apples, bitch! Hah! Jackass.
But mainly because it didn't occur to me to be worried that Roy would wind up permanently dead. Roy is going to fine. That's a given. So I just smirked a little at that stiff neck being snapped after Xykon explicitly offered to do what he was telling him to in the first place.

As a Miko-hater, I would've loved to see Roy get smacked with falling dragon pieces. Honestly. You can't just have the sword fall there teasingly and not follow through with all the rest of the goods! I want insult upon injury, *bleep* it!

I kinda lost all respect for Roy as a character after Belkar's 'WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?!' strip. if Roy knows that Belkar is truly like this, there is no way in hell that a LG leader could possibly stomach his presence in the party short of Lawful Stupidity, Mark of Justice or not. I'm just not buying it anymore.

Roy's just not a fan of the death penalty, apparently.

You're kidding me.

Huh? In Dungeon Crawling Fools?
Edit: Oh, right, phobiandarkmoon replied above. Silly me.

Alfryd
2007-05-05, 02:33 AM
The giant said in the comments that if Belkar had died, he could have had some fun doing ghost strips...
Oh. Mea culpa. I was under the impression that 'missed opportunity' implied he might reasonably have taken said opportunity.
I mean, if Belkar had been dead, what possible purpose could there be to defend him? He's not gonna get any deader if you wait for the inquest.

...despite all his horrible traits he really is a good warrior, and therefore useful...
Yeah, right up to the point where he decides to knife you in the gall bladder and sell your sweet, sweet entrails on the black market at a 40% discount to undercut the competition. He's already proven the one and only thing restraining him doing so to every member of the party- save Elan but including Haley- is the momentary inconvenience involved.