PDA

View Full Version : Ressurection Magic vs. the Snarl (Spoiler)

kpenguin
2007-04-25, 11:22 PM
With recent events (the death of Roy), resurrection magic is an oft brought up topic. The discussion of resurrection magic made me come to a realization: if resurrection magic is so common in D&Dm why didn't the Order of the Scribble use it.

The Order of the Scribble were a very formidable force, being able to do a classic "save the world" type quest. However, they were unable to revive their companions (i.e Soon Kim's wife and Kraggor). Even without a cleric on their team, Lirian should have been able to cast reincarnate on their friends or they could have easily found a cleric of 9+ levels.

My theory: When the Snarl destroys someone, it also destroys their soul, preventing resurrection.

Rolaran
2007-04-25, 11:35 PM
That makes a lot of sense, actually. The Snarl is a creature of deity level evil, it could probably destroy someone, soul and all.

Legendary
2007-04-25, 11:37 PM
Perhaps it's so powerful, that neither Wish or divine interventions would have effect either. To this, it might open up a hole in the Snarl's prison, however small. Or at least be like wearing the One Ring, you'd draw the Snarl's attention on you, and you alone. It might be sealed, but it might not be completely ineffective...

fwiffo
2007-04-25, 11:37 PM
My theory: When the Snarl destroys someone, it also destroys their soul, preventing resurrection.

That was board consensus as well. When you are killed by something that is capable of destroying an entire pantheon of gods before the gods even get a chance to react, that is not mere D&D death. That is something quite more permanent.

wolfwithnofangs
2007-04-26, 02:48 AM
Maybe it eats their souls and becomes stronger.

Jasdoif
2007-04-26, 02:59 AM
My theory: When the Snarl destroys someone, it also destroys their soul, preventing resurrection.Yep, Rich said as much.

Yes, sorry, it's implied in #274 that the Snarl devours souls when it kills you. No resurrection is possible.

cavalier973
2007-04-26, 05:41 AM
Are you saying that Roy's death was attributable to the Snarl, somehow?

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-26, 06:35 AM

The Snarl led to the world being created, thus Roy's existance and by extention his death.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-26, 07:51 AM
Maybe it eats their souls and becomes stronger.

It's already stronger than a god. Even if it would get stronger by killing people it would be so insignificant an increase as to be meaningless.

Silverlocke980
2007-04-26, 10:10 AM

I think he's just having a general discussion on the Order of the Scribble. Roy's death is merely the topic that brought up ressurection magic in the first place, not the topic of this thread.

Intriguing idea.

fangthane
2007-04-26, 10:34 AM
The snarl is made up of corrupted and tangled fibers of the very stuff of reality itself. There's no telling what that could do to a person. It might trap those people in its prison for all eternity, it might annihilate them as if they'd never been, or a number of other things. One thing is virtually certain though; given that its prison was a collaborative effort of 3 teams of gods, it's unlikely that a mere Wish or Miracle would pull a soul out if it's merely trapped. Otherwise, it'd be possible for such a Wish or Miracle to pull the Snarl out. And they can't have that.

In any case though, I'd think that the Snarl definitely ranks as similar-or-greater-than deific power level, and if they can prevent a soul from being resurrected, so should it be able.

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-04-26, 11:19 AM
Well if you read Origins of PCs you would know that
Roy's dad has died and been raised multiple times. Resurrection of adventures isn't unheard of

So obviously the Snarl had to inhibbit the ability for him to get rezed.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-26, 04:01 PM
Kraagor and Soon's Wife were hit by the Snarl's "Touch of the Old Man" attack. It makes them die of old age.

Black_Light83
2007-04-26, 04:10 PM
ya i agree with your teaory, i mean it did kinda kill all the greek gods in 1 round of combat and un-do existance in 20 min... i think the snarl is perfictly capable of killing a soul:smallcool:

Threeshades
2007-04-26, 04:16 PM
Kraagor and Soon's Wife were hit by the Snarl's "Touch of the Old Man" attack. It makes them die of old age.

Has anyone ever thought of that Kraagor and Soon's wife might have been actually pulled into the space in which the snarly is caught?

I think if you dont have at least a part of the body left, you cannot resurrect anyone.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-26, 04:40 PM
Wish and True Ressurection don't need a body part. However, my TOTOM theory probably doesn't work on gods.

kpenguin
2007-04-26, 05:30 PM
Gods are outsiders, and therefore cannot be ressurected.

fangthane
2007-04-26, 05:48 PM
Remember though OR, there are other things which can prevent a resurrection - being eaten by a barghest, trapped in a soul gem through soul bind, turned into a zombie and sent to a pocket plane where time doesn't exist, annihilated by a sphere of ~, or otherwise obliterated by deific or greater power. I'd say that one of two effects would work for the snarl here - either, as I mentioned, it's trapped the souls of those it killed in its prison to languish eternally, or it's a simple application of the "unless all the remaining gods collaborate it can't be undone" massively-deific power thing. After all, while the prison cuts it off from that power, the whole point is that the prison has cracks.