PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter sub-class: tactician

mictrepanier
2015-06-16, 11:43 AM
Fighter sub-class: tactician

I just re-worked my december 2014 scout sub-class as a fighter archetype. This is non-magical archetype that rely on intelligence. Intelligence as a secondary class. is only useful for wizards eldritch knights and skill lovers so i`ll give more dept

Intuit cover (level 3)

When you are targeted by an attack, you can use a reaction to move up to your speed, and may drop prone, before determining whether the attack hits or misses. (You can move behind cover if it exists, including your allies, and prone protects against ranged attacks.) Additionally, allies who can hear you may also take a reaction to do the same.

Intelligence save(level 3)

You gain proficiency in Intelligence saving throw.

Maneuvers Analysis (level 7)
Humanoids attacks are still unpredictable, but your found a pattern in maneuvers. Your checks against being Disarmed, Grappled, Overrun, Shoved, Tumbled past, or Pushed Aside are advantaged, as are your saving throws against Battle Master maneuvers. You also get advantage on ST saves caused by non- magical means.

Analysing Defense Patterns (level 10)

You get a damage bonus against a specific humanoid race equal to your intelligence modifier, as you can analyse defense patterns You should observe the creature in advance for at least one minute or success perception roll of dc 15 if only taking one action, All allies hearing your instructions get half your intelligence bonus, round down, against the same creature. More than one race can be analysed at the same time. You can only analyse one race at once.

at 18th level, this bonus apply to all monsters.

Analytical Mind(level 15 ) this feature is from wdalright (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65bZeJ2KziZZk8xLVVUbU9SeVE/view)

At 15th level, you can substitute your Intelligence score and modifier for your Wisdom score and modifier for purposes of saving throws and ability checks. You are considered proficient in Wisdom saving throws.

mictrepanier
2015-06-19, 11:19 AM
I updated the main post.

Kerleth
2015-06-19, 08:41 PM
Intuit cover is odd. At first it looks like you could avoid a minimum of 1 attack per turn. I say minimum, because your movement might pull you completely out of range of any further attacks. With a high speed fighter that could be ridiculously broken. Then I realized that it doesn't prevent attacks of opportunity, so any melee warrior you use this against is going to get an attack of opportunity in response, meaning they will get at least one attack. But if you don't completely outclass them and try to kite them to death, than you are negating one attack only to give them one other attack for free. In essence, all it does is burn up their reaction. As a matter of fact, if you are fighting multiple creatures in melee, using this might actually mean you get attacked more than if you had just taken the attack normally. Against ranged attacks it depends entirely on whether or not you can dive out of range or behind cover. I'm not sure if this makes the ability poorly designed or ingeniously built to emphasize tactics. I am sure that the name intuit cover just doesn't seem right. Perhaps "take cover" or "predict attack" or "intuitive dodge" instead?

Intelligence saves: Nothing wrong here. They don't come up very often, but then that means it will be all the more handy to be able to make the save that noone else was prepared for. Not particularly exciting, but a very meat and potatoes ability, which is a good thing to build from.

Maneuvers analysis: This is a decent ability. Seems a bit weak to be the only shiny that you get at 10th level, but it's not bad. I think perhaps it would be more grammatically correct to call it maneuver analysis or analyse maneuvers, but I'm no English professor.

Analyse Defense Patterns: I don't really like this ability. It brings up all sorts of questions. How long do you remember your analysis. From one fight to the next? One day to the next? One week to the next? How often do you have to break it down to your friends? Each turn? Each fight? Each day? Do you have to be able to speak? Why does your analysis let you predict both a hobgoblin with an axe, shield, and full plate, and a hobgoblin with a crossbow and light armor, but not a human with an axe, shield, and full plate? Plus it is questionable whether or not the ability is even worth an action to use. You are putting yourself an entire round's worth of damage behind to gain somewhere around a 50% damage boost on following rounds. And you have to use it again to switch from one type of opponent to another. I personally think this ability needs a lot of work to be useable. At 18th level it just happens, but that doesn't excuse the 8 levels where these questions keep coming up. Also, at the end of the ability you both say that you can't use it on multiple races at once and can use it on multiple races at once.

Analytical mind: This is a so so ability. 5th edition seems to be avoiding the whole "swap one score for another" thing for the most part. If I am going to have an ability like this, I want it soon enough that I can build around it. It's also kind of boring to be all you get for your subclass at this level.

I've been having issues of my own trying to come up with a good subclass for fighter that works with the learned and intelligent warrior concept. Wish I had some better suggestions, but it's late and I'm getting sleepy. Best of luck and happy brewing!

mictrepanier
2015-06-20, 05:56 AM
Intuit cover is odd
To be honest, these abilities are for a scout (i presented my scout in a earlier thread). This is an anti ambush feature. Worthless when enemy comes to melee range.

Analyse Defense Patterns: I don't really like this ability.You have to scout ahead. The 1 race at a time, etc is to balance. + INT damage at the time is OP. I know it is hard to forget how to strike an hobgoblin overnight... A better suggestion to balance it ? I don't want to bookeep list of creatures encountered.

scout:

3. Two Scout Tricks, Intuit cover (no int save)
7. Versatile Explorer (see my other June thread)
10. Analyzing Defense Patterns (animals and humanoids)
15. Evasion (different)
18. Improved Analyzing Defense Patterns

Scout Tricks (silent party is the strongest)

Adept Climber. You can climb at your normal movement speed, you climb unimpeded while holding something in one hand, and you don't grant advantage to attackers while you're climbing or balancing.

Cliffhanger. (Prerequisite: Acrobatics proficiency) When you fall and there is some object nearby on which you could conceivably slow your fall, you can use your reaction to reduce your failing damage by an amount equal to five times your character level.

Dead Reckoning. (Prerequisite: Perception proficiency) Under a clear sky, whether night or day, you always know the direction of true north and cannot get lost. You can also precisely intuit distances with your naked eye, do not suffer disadvantage to Wisdom (Perception) checks in dim light, and when traveling at fast pace on a mount you do not suffer the -5 penalty to your passive Wisdom (Perception). Also, when using a spyglass, you have advantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks to identify features of an army host (standards, officers, etc.).

Able Imitator You can mimic the speech of an animal. You must have heard the creature speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked.

Hicker Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel in any environment.

Silent party. (Prerequisite: Stealth proficiency) You can help the party move stealthily, using your own Dexterity (Stealth) check for the party to travel in silence and hidden from lookouts. The party can move at up to one-quarter speed