PDA

View Full Version : How to play an illusionist

Reprimand
2015-06-16, 03:11 PM
So I kind of want to play an illusionist/enchanter gish inspired by Itachi/Shisui Uchiha. How would I go about messing with the minds of anyone or anything in D&D?

does anyone know the best way to go about this?

I will also except gestalt builds

Useful Feats and stuff would also be appreciated.

Diarmuid
2015-06-16, 03:24 PM
The first thing to take into account when interested in playing an illusionist is to talk to the DM/GM about how they adjudicate illusions.

Illusion magic and Charm magic are both very dependent on interpretation and creativity. If the DM/GM is not open to creative options, it can make trying to use either of those types of magic as a primary option very difficult and often leave the player feeling very dissatisfied.

I'm not saying every DM needs to allow simple charms and illusions to break the game, but the player and GM both having the same understanding of the limitations and what "interacting with" entails will lead to a more mutually enjoyable experience.

Of course, if you're simply looking to play a gnome illusionist who uses Minor Image from a 12th level spell slot or something at level 6 then that's going to require a completely different DM/GM.

nedz
2015-06-16, 03:47 PM
I've played a lot of such characters but there is no hard and fast answer to your question since it's entirely DM dependant. I have had DMs where I just gave up on the idea.

Bad Wolf
2015-06-16, 03:48 PM
So, duplicating the Sharingan..I'd say go Shadowcraft Mage, and use phantasmal killer extensively.

DEMON
2015-06-16, 04:42 PM
So I kind of want to play an illusionist/enchanter gish inspired by Itachi/Shisui Uchiha. How would I go about messing with the minds of anyone or anything in D&D?

does anyone know the best way to go about this?

I will also except gestalt builds

Useful Feats and stuff would also be appreciated.

A Beguiler might be what you're looking for, since it's technically "an illusionist/enchanter ~gish~" in a can.

You should definitely take a look at the Beguiler's handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=363.0) for some tips and ideas.

For a more... complex build, consider Spellthief 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / Shadowcraft Mage 5 (not necessarily in that order).

The Beguiler's handbook has lots of Feat suggestions for this role and this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.msg8096#msg8096) (parts 6 and 7 in particular) lists a lot of useful spells.