PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger Creation

Death knight 00
2015-06-16, 08:07 PM
i am making a Ranger for my POTA campaign and i am not sure how to build him. i also dont know what race to be. coud you guys give me some help.
The stats i rolled are:

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-16, 08:16 PM
i am making a Ranger for my POTA campaign and i am not sure how to build him. i also dont know what race to be. coud you guys give me some help.
The stats i rolled are:

Water Genasi

Str: 16
Dex: 18
Con: 20
Int: 14
Wis: 18
Cha: 10

Go hunter at third level.

Grab whatever spells you like, go crazy and pick what looks cool and fun.

Background doesn't really matter but I like the Folk Hero on a Ranger.

Grab Athletics since acrobatics isn't a Ranger skill.

Naanomi
2015-06-16, 08:19 PM
With stats like that it barely matters where you place them, but for fun... Be a wood elf and have your stats be:

STR 10, DEX 20, CON 18, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 14

See if your DM can give hints as to what terrain/racial enemy will be useful. Otherwise just choose 'underground ' and 'monstrosity'; both useful to most adventuring types

Skills should be: Perception, Stealth, Survival, Acrobatics, and One of your choice

If custom backgrounds are allowed, choose one that gets the skills you want with outlander, urchin, or pirate's ability (unless you like the flavor of another). Otherwise hunt for the skills you want with your background

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-16, 08:24 PM
With stats like that it barely matters where you place them, but for fun... Be a wood elf and have your stats be:

STR 10, DEX 20, CON 18, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 14

See if your DM can give hints as to what terrain/racial enemy will be useful. Otherwise just choose 'underground ' and 'monstrosity'; both useful to most adventuring types

Skills should be: Perception, Stealth, Survival, Acrobatics, and One of your choice

If custom backgrounds are allowed, choose one that gets the skills you want with outlander, urchin, or pirate's ability (unless you like the flavor of another). Otherwise hunt for the skills you want with your background

Unless the custom backgrounds are allowed or the background chosen is entertainer, the Ranger had no way of grabbing acrobatics as it isn't a class skill or a background skill for any other background aside from entertainer.

That has always bugged me about the ranger, they don't get acrobatics. I like the idea of Tarzan tree surfing.

Naanomi
2015-06-16, 09:04 PM
Unless the custom backgrounds are allowed or the background chosen is entertainer, the Ranger had no way of grabbing acrobatics as it isn't a class skill or a background skill for any other background aside from entertainer.

That has always bugged me about the ranger, they don't get acrobatics. I like the idea of Tarzan tree surfing.

Be a pirate, double perception = acrobatics. Or any background with stealth or survival. Or any background with another ranger skill you don't mind also taking.

djreynolds
2015-06-18, 02:14 PM
With stats like that, crazy idea, I'd multi class into paladin. Use those smites when your horde breaking or whirlwinding. I'm you got the stats to do it. Not very optimized, but you can have that 18 in strength and go polearm master. Hordebreaker us great for killing lots of enemies, coupled with polearm master and smite. Nasty.
Unsure if you can use the ranger spell slots to smite as well.
I never thought of the build til I saw your stats. Leave intelligence at 10. And I'd put that 14 in dexterity cause that's your save proficiency already. Then bulk up charisma and strength. Just take 6 levels if paladin or at least 11 for ranger.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-18, 02:22 PM
With stats like that, crazy idea, I'd multi class into paladin. Use those smites when your horde breaking or whirlwinding. I'm you got the stats to do it. Not very optimized, but you can have that 18 in strength and go polearm master. Hordebreaker us great for killing lots of enemies, coupled with polearm master and smite. Nasty.
Unsure if you can use the ranger spell slots to smite as well.
I never thought of the build til I saw your stats. Leave intelligence at 10. And I'd put that 14 in dexterity cause that's your save proficiency already. Then bulk up charisma and strength. Just take 6 levels if paladin or at least 11 for ranger.

Though I don't suggest anyone doing this...

As DM I would allow an animal companion to smite. Probably a familiar too.

GiantOctopodes
2015-06-18, 03:07 PM
The stats i rolled are:

I'm assuming non-standard ability score generation methods were used here, since 4d6 drop lowest provides a 1.5% chance of getting an 18, and a 4% chance of a 17, and you have 3 ability scores of 17 or higher (with a 16 right behind!) Put another, very generous way, you have a 13% chance of at least a 16, and 4 of your 6 scores are in that range, while you have a 64% chance of having at most a 13, and only 1 of the 6 in that range. With such high stats, honestly you need to be careful, since you're likely to break the game at low levels, obliterating level appropriate challenges and likely being better at other party member's areas of expertise than they are.

As such, I recommend picking a NON OPTIMAL Race, one that doesn't make a bad situation worse, and one that you like from a fluff standpoint. Don't be a Wood Elf or Halfling, and definitely don't be a human or Drow. A Half Orc, on the other hand, would be flavorful, a Gnome could be fun, etc. I strongly recommend putting that 10 into something meaningful (Not Int or Cha), likely Str or Con, so there is at least the perception that your character has some sort of 'weakness'. Definitely choose Hunter over Beastmaster, and in terms of feats, since you don't really need ability score increases go wild with them, choosing any that seem fun (I personally recommend Healer, both because it fits with Rangers theme, is useful to the party, costs minimal GP and no spell slots, and makes it seem less like you're soloing the game).

My recommended build:
Half Orc Hunter
10 Str (becomes 12)
17 Con (becomes 18)
18 Dex
18 Wis
16 Int
14 Cha

All of this changes if you are indeed playing solo, if there's no other party members you don't need to worry about overshadowing them and can min max the crap out of it, being a Drow, only travelling at night, and massacring folks at 100'+ range in darkness, always counting as an invisible attacker and annihilating everything in your path. Obviously in that case the 10 would go in Int or Cha, as well.

Yagyujubei
2015-06-18, 03:57 PM
you know? playing a hill dwarf might be really nice here, you dont need stat bumps anywhere, although the dwarf is still giving you useful ones, and their racial bonuses are straight amazing. dark vision, free toughness, stonecunning, tool/weapon proficiencies (smithing to make your own arrows while resting/special arrowheads) and poison resist.

not a bad package and you can still star 20CON, 18DEX/WIS.

plus i like the idea of a dwarven "mountain ranger"

djreynolds
2015-06-18, 04:50 PM
I'm assuming non-standard ability score generation methods were used here, since 4d6 drop lowest provides a 1.5% chance of getting an 18, and a 4% chance of a 17, and you have 3 ability scores of 17 or higher (with a 16 right behind!) Put another, very generous way, you have a 13% chance of at least a 16, and 4 of your 6 scores are in that range, while you have a 64% chance of having at most a 13, and only 1 of the 6 in that range. With such high stats, honestly you need to be careful, since you're likely to break the game at low levels, obliterating level appropriate challenges and likely being better at other party member's areas of expertise than they are.

As such, I recommend picking a NON OPTIMAL Race, one that doesn't make a bad situation worse, and one that you like from a fluff standpoint. Don't be a Wood Elf or Halfling, and definitely don't be a human or Drow. A Half Orc, on the other hand, would be flavorful, a Gnome could be fun, etc. I strongly recommend putting that 10 into something meaningful (Not Int or Cha), likely Str or Con, so there is at least the perception that your character has some sort of 'weakness'. Definitely choose Hunter over Beastmaster, and in terms of feats, since you don't really need ability score increases go wild with them, choosing any that seem fun (I personally recommend Healer, both because it fits with Rangers theme, is useful to the party, costs minimal GP and no spell slots, and makes it seem less like you're soloing the game).

My recommended build:
Half Orc Hunter
10 Str (becomes 12)
17 Con (becomes 18)
18 Dex
18 Wis
16 Int
14 Cha

All of this changes if you are indeed playing solo, if there's no other party members you don't need to worry about overshadowing them and can min max the crap out of it, being a Drow, only travelling at night, and massacring folks at 100'+ range in darkness, always counting as an invisible attacker and annihilating everything in your path. Obviously in that case the 10 would go in Int or Cha, as well.

Correct. Be a tiefling and multiclass into warlock and be a demonhunter. Your stats allow you to pick out side the realm. Every ranger is a wood elf. Not every ranger is a drow. Hex is great with paladins and fighter builds. Lot of options, would like to see the final character.