PDA

View Full Version : Looking for creatures/ templates

questionmark693
2015-06-16, 08:50 PM
I am making a dungeon that is filled with failed wizard experiments, and I am looking for creatures or templates to fit that theme. Any suggestions?

A_S
2015-06-16, 09:02 PM
I'd make extensive use of the Tauric and Symbiotic templates from Savage Species, which can be used to combine two creatures into one. Crazy wizard experiment central!

Dungeonbred, Spellstitched, and Magebred are also obvious templates to throw onto things. Maybe Pseudonatural, refluffed to have the random tentacles be the results of experiments rather than manifestations of the Far Realms.

You could always include some of the intermediate steps in the Ikea Tarrasque production lines, like the Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques).

As for base creatures to use, just look around for gross aberrations. Which ones exactly to use is going to depend a lot on the level of the party; if they're all level 5, you don't want to be throwing CR 15 critters at them, no matter how thematically appropriate.

frogglesmash
2015-06-17, 05:51 AM
You could also use the Living Spell template (from MMIII) for failed experiments that were less focused on the "organic." Half Golems, Chimeric Creatures, and Titanic Creatures(MMII) wouldn't be a bad idea either. There's also Multiheaded, Gelatinous, and Insectile (Savage Species).