PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spritural weapon Tweet clarification

Glarnog
2015-06-16, 09:21 PM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/16/using-spiritual-weapon/

But casting the spell is a bonus action and assuming what ever it is that you’re attacking is with in 65 feet you can attack on the same turn you use your bonus action to cast the spell. Which leaves you with a move and an action. so assuming again what ever you’re attacking is with range of what ever weapon or cantrip you’re attacking with you can use your action to do that. And use your movement however you like. So I don’t understand Crawfords answer because it doesn’t match the rules.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-16, 09:27 PM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/16/using-spiritual-weapon/

But casting the spell is a bonus action and assuming what ever it is that you’re attacking is with in 65 feet you can attack on the same turn you use your bonus action to cast the spell. Which leaves you with a move and an action. so assuming again what ever you’re attacking is with range of what ever weapon or cantrip you’re attacking with you can use your action to do that. And use your movement however you like. So I don’t understand Crawfords answer because it doesn’t match the rules.

In all honesty the decs sometime give answers that show they didn't look over the rules. Kinda like how back in 3.5 you could push a response one way or the other by asking your question a certain way.

But could you post the tweet here? The website isn't loading correctly for me :/.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-16, 09:27 PM
I think Crawford messed this one up: Spiritual weapon is a bonus action to cast, not an action.

It should be:

Cast Spiritual Weapon and have it attack someone (bonus action)
Attack normally (action)
Move (movement)

I don't do twitter, but maybe someone could tweet this to him and hope he realizes his error?

Glarnog
2015-06-16, 09:33 PM
In all honesty the decs sometime give answers that show they didn't look over the rules. Kinda like how back in 3.5 you could push a response one way or the other by asking your question a certain way.

But could you post the tweet here? The website isn't loading correctly for me :/.

"Using Spiritual Weapon

June 16, 2015Zoltar

@DanSingsAndHitsCan you REALLY cast Spiritual Weapon, AND move, AND attack with the Spiritual Weapon, AND a normal weapon in the same turn?

You can cast the spell (action), move, and attack with the spiritual weapon again (bonus action).

— Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) June 3, 2015"

I copied and pasted it. Also spaced it trying for better readability.

Glarnog
2015-06-16, 09:35 PM
I think Crawford messed this one up: Spiritual weapon is a bonus action to cast, not an action.

It should be:

Attack normally (action)
Move (movement)

I don't do twitter, but maybe someone could tweet this to him and hope he realizes his error?

I don't tweet either. I was just worried I missed an update or errata on the subject or had been advising players at the table incorrectly. The cleric at my table is a lot of fun to play with, but not really all that in to knowing all the specifics on rules, just wanted to make sure I hadn't been telling her to cheat.

Glarnog
2015-06-16, 09:36 PM

It should be:

Attack normally (action)
Move (movement)

I read it the same way. And that those 3 could come in any order.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-16, 09:47 PM
Yeah Crawford doesn't seem to realize Spiritual Weapon is a Bonus Action to cast.

coredump
2015-06-16, 11:49 PM
This was caught several hours ago, and the tweet was deleted. He will re-answer it again later.

He did mess up on the bonus action

ronlugge
2015-06-17, 12:52 AM
It should be:

Attack normally (action)
Move (movement)

Yup, that's what makes Spiritual Weapon such an awesome spell. It gives you a bonus action, on a class that often doesn't have enough 'oomph' without using it's bonus actions to get it.