PDA

View Full Version : Console Star Fox Zero

Zevox
2015-06-16, 09:32 PM
So, quite a bit of news about the upcoming Star Fox title out of Nintendo's E3 direct today. First, it has a title: Star Fox Zero. Second, we finally have a trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6PEecNY0Sc), and it looks pretty damn awesome actually. Some parts look almost like a remake of Star Fox 64, but others are clearly completely new. Vehicles can actually change form now, with the Arwing turning into an AT-ST-like walker at one point, and the Landmaster switching to a hover-tank form that seems to allow some better aerial maneuverability. And the old voice style accompanied by sound effects of comm systems turning on and off is back - as is Peppy's famous line.

The game is also apparently being co-developed by Platinum Games, which is pretty nice to hear given their track record. Granted their area of expertise is action games, not rail shooters, but still.

The one area of concern so far is the controls (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hands-on-with-star-fox-zero-s-gamepad-controls/1100-6428208/). Apparently, if you try to aim using just the main screen of the game, your shots will be pretty inaccurate - you need to use the first-person view of the gamepad screen to aim well. But by focusing on that you'll not be getting a great view of the area and have a harder time dodging obstacles and shots. So you need to get used to switching your focus between the two, which could be a huge pain. Yeah, I've gotta say, while a fun idea in theory, I could easily see the reality of it being more of a problem than a help to the game, so I really hope it turns out to be optional, and you can play the game with traditional controls instead if you desire.

For what little it's worth, I'm also a bit curious about the game's story. Specifically, if it's meant to be a prequel or reboot of of some kind. After all, Peppy is back in an Arwing and Krystal is nowhere to be seen, plus of course there's those portions that look like they're right out of Star Fox 64. There's not really much to go on there at this point though.

DiscipleofBob
2015-06-16, 09:59 PM
Holy crap the Arwing turns into a Chocobo!

Hiro Protagonest
2015-06-17, 12:27 AM
I can't wait to play this on my Gamecube!

...What do you mean this isn't for Gamecube?

DigoDragon
2015-06-17, 06:46 AM
The one area of concern so far is the controls (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hands-on-with-star-fox-zero-s-gamepad-controls/1100-6428208/). Apparently, if you try to aim using just the main screen of the game, your shots will be pretty inaccurate - you need to use the first-person view of the gamepad screen to aim well.

I can see how that could be a pain. Would be easier to just have a switch on the controller to go between 1st and 3rd person views from your main TV screen. Make the gamepad a radar instead to see incoming enemies and powerups.

So looks like they got the walker mode from the unreleased Star Fox 2. Neat. :3

Hunter Noventa
2015-06-17, 02:53 PM
I can see how that could be a pain. Would be easier to just have a switch on the controller to go between 1st and 3rd person views from your main TV screen. Make the gamepad a radar instead to see incoming enemies and powerups.

So looks like they got the walker mode from the unreleased Star Fox 2. Neat. :3

Yeah I'm not totally sold on the controls either.

They did talk a bit about how they were inspired by the unreleased Star Fox 2, and that this game is basically a retelling of Star Fox 64.

They should release Star Fox 2 on the virtual console, it was already basically complete after all.

Legato Endless
2015-06-17, 03:57 PM
Hmm, looks intriguing. Considering the series hit such a slump with the previous iteration, hopefully we get something with functional multiplayer this time around.

Zevox
2015-06-17, 04:48 PM
They did talk a bit about how [...] this game is basically a retelling of Star Fox 64.
Well, guess that answers my question about the story. Fine by me, just to good to know where things stand there.

Hmm, looks intriguing. Considering the series hit such a slump with the previous iteration, hopefully we get something with functional multiplayer this time around.
Yeah, about that (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-online-support-planned-for-star-fox-zero-miyamo/1100-6428286/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage)...

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is Nintendo, it's probably best to assume their games don't have online functions until they explicitly say otherwise. Still strange that they're so reticent to do that for so many of their games though.