PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Pathfinder Entering Sandpoint Glassworks Throught Smugglers tunnel? Pathfinder

anoblewolf
2015-06-16, 10:33 PM
Thank you in advance for you help.

I am running the "Rise of the Runelords" Adventure Path for the first time and my players have decided to fallow Tsuto Kaijitsu and his goblins trail from The Boneyard. I am thinking that the trail will lead them to the smugglers tunnel through to the glassworks rather than going through the city.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Thank you again for your help.

Clarification:

The Rise of the Runelords is an Adventure Path for Pathfinder.

The Player arrive in the town of Sandpoint for the Swallowtail Festival. During the festival the town is attacked by goblins. The next morning the grounds keeper of The Boneyard (the town graveyard) informs the sheriff that one of the mausoleums have been sacked during the goblin raid on the town and the sheriff enlisted the players to help him investigate. Now after the players discovered that the remains of the village priest that died 5 years ago have been taken they have started fallowing the tracks found at the mausoleum. Now the remains were taken by a half Elf named Tsuto Kaijitsu and a group of goblins that are currently hold up in the Sandpoint Glassworks. The book states that Tsuto and the goblins gained entry to the glassworks through the old smugglers tunnels that were once connected to the Glassworks. But the book also has the players drawn to the glassworks by a different mission that then exposes Tsuto and the goblins at which time the player are to chase Tsuto through the smugglers tunnels from the glassworks. But seeing as one of my players has been rolling ridiculously high on her rolls to track the prints at the mausoleum I have no way to deter them from continuing on there current path, so i am rolling with it.

Venger
2015-06-16, 11:21 PM

I am running the "Rise of the Runelords" Adventure Path for the first time and my players have decided to fallow Tsuto Kaijitsu and his goblins trail from The Boneyard. I am thinking that the trail will lead them to the smugglers tunnel through to the glassworks rather than going through the city.

Thank you again for your help.

could you maybe provide some information so we know what you're talking about and what kind of advice you're looking for? I've never heard of this module before. google says it's pathfinder, so maybe mention that and throw a PF tag into your thread header and some of the PF gurus can come in and give you a hand if it' PF-specific mechanics at play.

or if it's just a general GMing/storytelling issue, perhaps you could provide an overview of the scenario so we could give you some advice.

anoblewolf
2015-06-17, 12:33 AM
could you maybe provide some information so we know what you're talking about and what kind of advice you're looking for? I've never heard of this module before. google says it's pathfinder, so maybe mention that and throw a PF tag into your thread header and some of the PF gurus can come in and give you a hand if it' PF-specific mechanics at play.

or if it's just a general GMing/storytelling issue, perhaps you could provide an overview of the scenario so we could give you some advice.

Thank you Venger for pointing out how poor this post was, I have since added a bit more clarification

Nibbens
2015-06-17, 09:12 AM

Been running RotRL myself. First off, this is actually a common theme in many of the dungeons in that module, especially early levels. The "Boss room" or the place where the PCs are supposed to head are often a perception check away from being the first room accessed in the dungeon. This occurs several times, so your thoughts are kind of in line here and wouldn't be a problem...

However, after the body was robbed:
Nualia takes the body to Thistle Top to sacrifice it to Lamasthu. To my knowledge the body doesn't go to the Glassworks before this event. Secondly, Tusto does not occupy the Glassworks until after a week or two after the raid - after he's had time to send a letter to Ameiko, murder his father, and tie Ameiko up to bring her to Nualia for sacrifice. Thirdly, the two weeks after the raid are EXTREMELY important for setting up the characters and creating emotional bonds to the citizens here, because the PCs return to Sandpoint two or three times throughout the course of the adventure. It's better to have the NPCs established as living beings before bringing them up months later after they return.

I would believe that the tracks would lead the PCs to the ThistleTop woods where every failed survival check makes PCs fall into nettles and thorns which drain their strength or dex. This should be a pretty big deterrent from too early exploration.

Or, you could just go the easy way out and say that the tracks lead to the coast and disappear at the waters edge because Thistletop conveniently sits on the coast and they traveled by boat to bring the remains.

anoblewolf
2015-06-17, 10:25 AM
Been running RotRL myself. First off, this is actually a common theme in many of the dungeons in that module, especially early levels. The "Boss room" or the place where the PCs are supposed to head are often a perception check away from being the first room accessed in the dungeon. This occurs several times, so your thoughts are kind of in line here and wouldn't be a problem...

However, after the body was robbed:
Nualia takes the body to Thistle Top to sacrifice it to Lamasthu. To my knowledge the body doesn't go to the Glassworks before this event. Secondly, Tusto does not occupy the Glassworks until after a week or two after the raid - after he's had time to send a letter to Ameiko, murder his father, and tie Ameiko up to bring her to Nualia for sacrifice. Thirdly, the two weeks after the raid are EXTREMELY important for setting up the characters and creating emotional bonds to the citizens here, because the PCs return to Sandpoint two or three times throughout the course of the adventure. It's better to have the NPCs established as living beings before bringing them up months later after they return.

I would believe that the tracks would lead the PCs to the ThistleTop woods where every failed survival check makes PCs fall into nettles and thorns which drain their strength or dex. This should be a pretty big deterrent from too early exploration.

Or, you could just go the easy way out and say that the tracks lead to the coast and disappear at the waters edge because Thistletop conveniently sits on the coast and they traveled by boat to bring the remains.

Thank you Nibbens for your help. Your insight has been very help full.