PDA

View Full Version : Linnorm Kingmaking [IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

ylvathrall
2015-06-16, 10:47 PM
Linnorm Kingmaking

Out-of-Character Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421847-Linnorm-Kingmaking-OOC&p=19408972#post19408972)

The Road to Kalsgard

The road to Kalsgard from the southern lands is a long one. From Varisia the caravans go north, through the unclaimed Nolands into the kingdom of Southmoor. After stopping in Jol the road turns east, traveling inland until it reaches the Thundering River and turns north, following the relative safety of the river through Grungir Forest. Travelers breathe a sigh of relief after passing through the woods; the rest of the journey is dangerous, but nothing compares to Grungir Forest.

With such dangers, it's no wonder that you haven't seen many fellow travelers on the road. Perhaps you are a threatening enough target that most attackers choose to go after more tender morsels instead, because you have encountered none of the predators and monsters these lands are known for. Indeed, your journey has been almost strangely uneventful.

Until now.

Now, with Kalsgard almost in sight on the horizon, the road is filled with fire and wreckage. A short distance ahead, a group of wagons lie overturned in the middle of the road, several of them on fire. Ravens circle overhead, their hoarse cries the only sound aside from the crackling of the flames. To your right the Rimeflow River rushes along on its way to the sea; to your left the earth gradually slopes up into forested hills. Aside from your group, there is no one in sight.

Frosty
2015-06-16, 11:47 PM
A lone woman, clad in a silvery-white set of plate-mail, kneels over some of the corpses. Carnage...so much CARNAGE. She has a long mane of flaming red hair, and it is unclear from the distance what she is doing to the corpses. Rummaging?

Need to wait for other PCs.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-17, 02:09 AM
Eclaire is chatting with her most trusted followers (namely Davis, Alan and Lance), up until the point in which the redhead archer points out at the fire and wreckage, a female knight doing something in the middle of it. The blonde then raises her hand, the entire caravan behind them stopping, and she rides toward the sight, her three most trusted following behind, while the rest of the defenders around the caravans realign themselves in order to cover the front too.

Hjolnai
2015-06-17, 02:43 AM
It might be unusual to see a hobgoblin traveling with a human caravan, but Tabrak is no ordinary hobgoblin. His name might not be so well known in this distant land, but his reputation is unblemished by his people's misdeeds. When the wagons grind to a halt, he leads his pony to the head of the caravan. A stop in the middle of the road can only mean trouble; the cries of the ravens only serve to confirm it.

Catching sight of the destroyed caravan ahead, Tabrak leaves his pony at the side of the road and takes off at a substantial pace, faster than anyone should be able to in such heavy armour. Whatever the source of the strange power which permeates this land, it proves useful once again, as he is not far behind the noble Eclaire and her retinue despite their mounts. His axe is held in hand, low enough not to be threatening, but ready if there should be an ambush waiting.

Llyarden
2015-06-17, 04:53 AM
Lanerlei, on the other hand, did not have the luxury of either preternatural speed or a horse to carry her, and so was some distance behind the hobgoblin and the riders as she approached the destruction. She was less focused on the woman in the middle of it all than the wagons, wings twitching nervously, intent on seeing if she could see anyone who might yet be saved.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-17, 06:24 AM
Eclaire and her followers arrive to the wreckage, and head to the female knight, the blonde asking :"Who are you? And what are you doing here?"
Davis, however, dismounts as they arrive, casts Aspect of the Falcon, and starts looking for survivors:

Perception: [roll0]

Frosty
2015-06-17, 10:02 AM
There are limbs everywhere. The smell of death hangs heavy in the air. It is unlikely that there are any survivors. Eclaire hears no response from the red-haired knight, whom Eclair can now see is a quite beautiful human. Eclair does hear a continuous murmuring or incantation. She can catch bits and pieces of the murmuring as the knight has both of her hands pressed upon the ripped-open chest of a man.

"May the Dawnflower bless this soul to return. It is not his dusk yet. Goddess of healing, may your unworthy servant channel your blessings and grant this man the warmth of life..."

ylvathrall
2015-06-17, 02:53 PM
The caravan is devastated, and there is no indication of survivors. The bodies show a variety of wounds, some of them cuts and gashes suggestive of manufactured weapons, while others are torn to pieces or utterly shredded. It seems unlikely that anyone could have escaped from such carnage, and if so they are long out of sight.

Tabrak sees no indication that anything is waiting in ambush. Aside from the caravan, the only living creatures in sight are the woman in the midst of the destruction and the ravens, some of which have descended to feed upon the corpses.

Lanerlei sees no sign of any survivors. The bodies are mangled, torn to pieces or utterly shredded. If anyone escaped the carnage, they are long gone now.

Abigail detects the presence of good.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-17, 03:30 PM
Eclaire and the two paladins watch the ritual in a solemn silence, while Davis returns, and after noticing what the armored woman is doing, quietly informs the blonde about his findings. Eclaire then orders the knights with a low voice: "Return to the caravan, and have them keep moving forward. If anything, we are going to need to perform some burials, and clear out the way. Also, for the next few days, have the night rounds be doubled, lest we end up ambushed." Alan and Lance give each other a fast look, as if deciding over something, and head back to the wagons. Her eyes once more fixate on the chanting woman, her cohort watching as well.

Frosty
2015-06-17, 09:40 PM
The chanting woman sweats, her efforts taxing her. Even a cursory examination of the body she is working on would reveal that the victim is D E D dead, beyond healing. Yet the flame-haired beauty continues to hold her palms, glowing with white light, at the man's open chest cavity. She seems to ignore everything except the body she is working on, and with every second of channeling her powers she looks weaker and more out of breath.

Hjolnai
2015-06-18, 12:47 AM
Tabrak soon catches up to Eclaire now that she has stopped.

"A priest here so soon? Must be a survivor. Perhaps we shouldn't disrupt her, but once she's done there we'll need to ask some questions. Whoever or whatever did this, they must be found quickly before they attack more travelers."

Frosty
2015-06-18, 02:42 AM
The man is clearly not going to get better, yet the woman persists. Is it out of desperation? Denial? She saps herself of more strength with each passing second, and her chanting only grows louder. "O Cleansing Light, wash away the blackness of death from this individual!"

Those that are very perceptive may notice that parts of the woman, skin is rippling a little bit.

Llyarden
2015-06-18, 04:11 AM
Lanerlei watched in some bemusement. What was the woman doing? And why this body over all the numerous other bodies? "This seems too...violent for just bandits," she muttered to herself softly. Just to be on the safe side, in case there were any potential survivors that she hadn't spotted, she stepped carefully into the centre of the wreckage and held up her glaive. The entire weapon - not just the cutting head, but the haft as well - flashed a brilliant gold, and the faint illusion of multicoloured feathers sparkled in the air around her.

Channel positive energy: [roll0]. Trying to position so as the 30ft burst catches as much of the carnage as possible, in case there's anyone bleeding out under a wagon or something.

I don't know what I'd roll to try to work out what did this, but I'd probably fail the roll so it's not likely to matter.

Frosty
2015-06-18, 04:26 AM
I were the DM I'd call for a Heal roll to see why this body was selected.

ylvathrall
2015-06-18, 05:04 AM
The body seems about the same as any other, with comparable injuries to the rest. It's very much dead, that's certain. There's nothing beyond the obvious to suggest what was responsible for this carnage.

After a few more moments of chanting, the woman suddenly seems to vanish, her flesh flowing into a very different form in an instant. This new creature has the same general shape, but large leathery wings sprout from her shoulders, hinting at a very different nature, and a long, slender tail lashes the air behind her.

A few seconds later, the wounds on the body begin to close, the mortal injuries seeming to undo themselves in a matter of heartbeats.

Players with ranks in Knowledge (planes) or Knowledge (religion) can roll their choice to attempt to identify the creature.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-18, 05:24 AM
Eclaire and Davis are surprised by the woman's sudden transformation, as they try to figure out what she is.

Eclaire has one rank in K:R, and Davis has outsider (evil) as his favored enemy with a +4 bonus, so he can perform knowledge checks untrained.
[roll0]
[roll1]

((OOC: post roll))
Recognizing the demon, Davis readies his bow, and Eclaire unsheathes her greatsword, as she says: "Demon! What are you trying to accomplish!?"

Hjolnai
2015-06-18, 06:32 AM
"A demon? Are you sure? Most of them are much bigger and much nastier - would have attacked us by now. Oh, and there'd be fire, not bright light."

Llyarden
2015-06-18, 07:43 AM
Lanerlei...watched, as the woman transformed in front of them. Cautiously, certainly, but not aggressively. "A succubus," she replied to the hobgoblin. "Often sly and manipulative." She sounded rather like she was commenting on the weather. "Though I would not believe a succubus would shed its disguise if it were intending on manipulating us, and she does not seem particularly interested in tearing us to pieces physically."

Also Detect Evil (the paladin version) on 'Abigail'...I'm not sure what happens here?

Hjolnai
2015-06-18, 08:13 AM
Tabrak nodded.

"Only one way to find out..."

He turned to the... succubus.

"You! Did you kill these people? Are you here to do harm, or good?"

Frosty
2015-06-18, 09:01 AM
The demon, tired from its exertion, slumps over to the side, barely able to sit up. Her form is still beautiful in many ways, but the demonic tail, wings, and even small horns mar what was once a near-perfect image before. She speaks, her words ragged.

"Demons favor...lightning...over fire...as they are usually...not immune...to fire. As for...*pant/wheeze* what happened here...we can ask the man...when he is able to...talk. I got here a scant minute before you...found me. I plan on...raising...as many...whole bodies...as I can. This man was most intact. So I picked him first".

The succubus looks at all of you in turn, studying you. She seems...happy at what she sees.

Abigail detects as Evil, as an evil outsider with 10 HD.

Abigail actively uses Detect Good on the party to determine the strengths of good auras.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-18, 12:16 PM
"She doesn't seem to have any further hidden motives." Eclaire says this clearly, sheathing her weapon, Davis following the same action. After all, the archer has seen the knight notice whenever someone is lying with almost superhuman capacity multiple times. "Now then, you did mention the Dawnflower in your chants while you were performing that resurrection. For a demon to worship Sarenrae, there's only one possible answer: Redemption." She then extends her hand, saying: "Greetings, my name is Eclaire Troyard, member of the Empyreal Guardians."

Frosty
2015-06-18, 11:20 PM
The drained succubus struggles to get up, and uses her shield (with a rather unusual representation of Sarenrae at that) to make it easier. She eyes the warrior called Eclair, a bit hesitant, as if doubting that anyone can accept her so quickly and easily. But, she golden auras of Goodness tend not to lie, and she reaches out a hand as well to accept the handshake. "You may call me...Abigail. And I'm working on the redemption part. It...doesn't come easy. Empyreal Guardians...I don't know much about them. Paladin order venerating some powerful Celestial being?"

Abigail's Know (Religion) roll about the Empyreal Guardians: [roll0]
Picture of Abigail's shield: http://i62.tinypic.com/302q5pe.png

Tuvarkz
2015-06-19, 01:40 AM
"We do have some paladins and holy men amongst us, but the large majority of the Empyreal Guardian consists of practicioners of martial arts, such as myself, who learn to channel sacred energy through our combat maneuvers." She turns to the archer beside her, and says: "Davis, show her." At which point the archer changes his footing, and the bow starts brimming with holy energy, as well as a protective magic aura covering him.

Llyarden
2015-06-19, 05:13 AM
The mention of the Dawnflower was enough to banish whatever last doubts Lanerlei had had about the succubus. "A pleasure to meet you, Abigail," she said, offering a handshake of her own, and watching the demon with...more concern now than anything else. Whatever it was she had done, it had clearly drained her power quite considerably. She had been about to ask the same question of Eclaire, but Abigail got there first, and the aasimar watched curiously as the archer changed his stance. "That is...rather curious," she said. "I cannot recall ever seeing anything like that before."

Hjolnai
2015-06-19, 05:51 AM
Tabrak watches without much interest.

"Strange indeed, but most magics are strange to me. I know little enough about my own powers, save that they allow me to protect others - even from the consequences of their own mistakes. Now if you'll excuse me, these fires need to be put out - bad enough that the next of kin should suffer deaths in the family, without leaving them impoverished too."

The hobgoblin takes his axe to the burning wagons, hacking off the parts most severely aflame and tossing them in a pile to burn alone. And if he should get burnt in the process, well, no need for anyone else to know.

ylvathrall
2015-06-19, 06:37 AM
In the middle of the conversation, the corpse suddenly sits bolt upright. He draws in a deep breath and opens his eyes, looking around with a beatific smile.

That smile quickly fades as he sees his surroundings. He begins to frown instead, obviously confused. A moment later one of the wagons collapses, almost hitting Tabrak as he works. He dodges aside easily, moving into view of the newly revived man as he does.

As the man sees the hobgoblin, his expression ceases to be confused and becomes obviously fearful, perhaps even betrayed. He scrambles away from the group until he's almost backed himself into the flames, then huddles there, whispering under his breath.

"Queen of the North Star," the man says, "gather me up and lead me to your side. I have always been your servant. Do not abandon me in hell, I beg you."

You recognize Queen of the North Star as a title for Desna, although one that is rarely if ever used south of the mountains.

Llyarden
2015-06-19, 06:49 AM
Lanerlei watched nervously as the man almost backed into the flames. "Do not be afraid," she said, crouching down so that she was on the same level as him, glaive angled backwards so the cutting end was obscured by her wings. "No-one here will hurt you. You are safe." After a few moments, assuming the man did not immediately react with hostility towards her, the aasimar shuffled a little closer to him, still keeping her movements slow, trying to herd him away from the fire. "What happened here?"

Diplomacy (?) [roll0]

Tuvarkz
2015-06-19, 07:21 AM
Eclaire vaguely remembers having heard said apelative once before, but can't recall where from. She approaches the man, saying: "Don't worry, you are in good company."

((OoC: Performing Aid Another on Diplomacy, since DC is 10(Which is Eclaire's modifier), it's an auto-success. Question: Am I allowed to use the Tactical Assistance class feature (which allows to make my Aid Another's bonus equal to my Charisma modifier? The fluff says it's in combat, but it doesn't mechanically state so.))

In the meantime, Alan and Lance arrive at the location with the caravan almost having arrived, spotting the succubus. Before they can react, however, Davis explains the situation to them.
"If the lady says she is to be trusted..."
"...then we comply to her command."
The two paladins turn back to the wagon, spreading the information around, and as the caravan stops in front of the wreckage, multiple men come out with hatchets and other tools to make way for the larger wagons to pass through, the blacksmiths and woodworkers accopanying them to signal what can be used as scrap metal or for other purposes.

Hjolnai
2015-06-19, 07:34 AM
Tabrak mutters under his breath when he catches sight of the man.

"Alive? He was dead a moment ago - ah, that's what she was doing..."

Seeing the man scramble so fearfully away from him, he sticks the haft of his axe back in his belt and speaks more audibly, in as calming tone as a hobgoblin can manage. He stands well back, not wanting to frighten the man further.

"I'm not your enemy. I'm here to help - and to see that this devastation is not repeated. Who attacked you?"

Frosty
2015-06-19, 10:51 AM
The succubus also shakes he hand of the aasimar, this time less hesitant. "Nice to meet you as well, and what is your name?"

When the man finally rises from the dead, Abogail has a happy smile on her face. It quickly turns into a frown of concern as the man starts backing away frantically from the hobgoblin. Worries that her own appearance would not help matters any, Abigail stays back and out of sight if possible, and works towards restoring her human shape.

ylvathrall
2015-06-19, 01:44 PM
The man seems to gradually relax as he looks from one person to the next, particularly when he spots Lanerlei. He stops whispering to himself, and while he still seems rather emotional, it appears that it's now a generalized reaction to what's happened rather than terror at the people around him.

He looks around again, more calmly this time, and watches with particular interest as Abigail returns to a human form. "Then...this isn't hell?" he asks hesitantly. "But...I died. The trolls, they killed me, I know they did. And this is not heaven." The last sentence is said in an accusatory tone.

The scene seems odd for a troll attack. The creatures would normally avoid starting fires, since fire is one of the few things which can suppress their natural regeneration, and for them to leave bodies behind is unusual, given that they typically raid for food, and have no compunctions about eating the flesh of humans.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-19, 02:25 PM
Davis rejoins just in time to hear the recently resurrected man mention the troll. Eclaire mentions to the man "This is neither heaven nor hell", and pointing at Abigail, she continues "She was the one who brought you back."
The ranger approaches the blonde, and says: "Milady, it's wierd for trolls to have done this. They only hunt for food, and never start fires, it's one of their weaknesses."
"That's disturbing indeed, Davis. Look for their tracks and find them. If said trolls are left on their own, more caravans could end up being assaulted. Or worse, whatever is leading the trolls could have a more sinister purpose."
Davis casts Acute Senses on himself, and starts looking for tracks and trying to follow them.
((OOC: Taking favored terrain (forest) bonus))
Perception: [roll0]
Survival (Track): [roll1]

Llyarden
2015-06-19, 02:30 PM
"My name is Lanerlei," the aasimar introduced herself to Abigail.

As the newly-resurrected man spoke again, she sighed, reaching out a hand to offer him a hand up. "Come; we should move clear of this wreckage. Some of it already collapsed." Once she was confident that there weren't any parts of wagon likely to fall on him, she continued. "This is neither Heaven nor Hell nor any of the other outer planes. This is the Material. By the grace of the Dawnflower and Pharasma's consent, Abigail returned your soul to your body." She watched the man with a little nervousness - being told you'd been brought back to life was likely not something he had experienced before. "What is your name?" she asked, in a fairly vain attempt to distract him from her previous revelation. Or at least soften the blow a little.

ylvathrall
2015-06-19, 05:08 PM
"Olaf," the man says as he follows Lanerlei. He looks and sounds like a man in a daze. "My name is Olaf Sturlasson. You say I am alive? You brought me back to life?" He takes a moment to absorb this news, and then turns to Abigail, bowing unsteadily. "Thank you, lady. And thank the Lady Luck for bringing you here when she did. I won't forget it."

Davis finds a clear trail leading to the southeast, into the forested hills. It appears that there were numerous trolls moving in this direction as a group. Does he follow the trail, and if so, how far?

Frosty
2015-06-19, 11:42 PM
Abigail walks in front of Olaf, her steps more steady now. "please, Olaf, you don't have to bow to me. It's the least I could do. I wish I was here just a few minutes earlier, so I could've driven off the trolls instead of just resurrecting you. Do you remember much about the attack? I want to help make sure whomever did this can't go and hurt anymore innocents. Speaking of which...Do you have any...loved ones with you in the caravan?

Tuvarkz
2015-06-20, 01:26 AM
Having gotten a clear track for the trolls, Davis returns within hearing distance of the rest of the group and taking a deep breath, shouts with all his lungs' might: "MILADY, FOUND THE TRACK, THIS WAY!"
Upon hearing the shout, Eclaire turns out to one of her men working around, and tells him: "I'm going with Davis to exterminate a few trolls, my orders are for Alan, Lance, and John to be on constant patrol, and ten archers armed and ready to shoot if anything happens."
Eclaire then says to the three paladins near her: "Now, who is going to follow me?" After that, she turns south east, and starts running towards where Davis is waiting.

Hjolnai
2015-06-20, 02:07 AM
Tabrak shouted at Eclaire's back as she ran:

"I'll follow once I've grabbed some gear!"

He goes to his pony, quickly retrieving the troll slayer's kit. His rapid gait allows him to catch up quickly.

Llyarden
2015-06-20, 06:14 AM
At the tracker's shout, Lanerlei gave a slight nod and took a couple of steps towards the direction that the others were going before remembering Olaf. "I would suggest you stay here for now," she said gently to him. "I have not travelled with them long, but they are good people. But yes; any information that you remember about the attack would be greatly appreciated."

Once Olaf had told her anything he could remember, she gave him one last reassurance "We will return shortly," and then followed the other paladins.

Frosty
2015-06-20, 11:29 AM
"Keep yourself safe, and as a last resort, set everything on fire again as a smoke signal and we will come back."

With that, the succubus follows the blonde. She shakes her head. "The rest of the bodies...I think they are too mutilated for me to bring back. Such a tragedy."

Tuvarkz
2015-06-20, 01:06 PM
As the group reaches Davis, the ranger says: "This way!" and starts following the tracks, signaling to follow him.

ylvathrall
2015-06-20, 04:53 PM
"The trolls came from south of the road," Olaf says shakily to Abigail. "They were behind us, I think, but they moved so quickly...they got to the lead wagon of the caravan and flipped it over. They set it on fire right away, I think. Then they went to the back and started pulling people out, killing us. I was bringing up the rear, making sure nobody fell behind. I was one of the first ones they got hold of." He looks at the collapsed wagon, which from his description was probably the first one to be attacked, at the head of the caravan. His face falls as he does so, and he is obviously struggling to hold back tears. "My wife, Guthrun...she was in there."

Leaving Olaf behind with the soldiers to recover from his ordeal, you follow the tracks leading away from the caravan. The trolls don't seem to have been concerned with leaving a trail, and it is quite easy to follow this one. The trolls came from south and east of the caravan, much as Olaf described, and you soon find yourselves moving up into hilly, forested territory. The trees are short and stunted in comparison with those of a truly ancient forest, but still limit visibility.

It seems to have been about half an hour since the trolls came this way. They will have had a chance to get several miles away, most likely.

While trolls are the most frequent and obvious tracks, they are not the only ones. You also spot, mixed in with the trolls, the prints of one or more large canines.
You recognize the tracks as belonging to a winter wolf, a large, intelligent, and often aggressive canine. These creatures are natural beasts, but have a remarkable mastery over the cold.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-20, 05:26 PM
"Milady, the trolls have passed around here about half an hour around here. Also, they seem to have been accompanied by winter wolves, which are noticeably large and smart. They are probably quite a few miles ahead from us, so if we are to continue following them, I'd suggest to increase our speed."
Eclaire nods and asks to the group: "If we are to keep following the trolls, we are likely to end up traveling quite a distance for the whole day, at fast pace, so, should we keep moving?"
((OoC: just in case pre-emptive rolls for Davis Survival (track at double speed) and Eclaire Aid Another respectively, going offline))
[roll0]
[roll1]

Frosty
2015-06-20, 09:42 PM
"As long as you feel that the people we left behind will be able to defend themselves, I say let's hunt while the trail is hot. Lead on. In fact, if you need any sort of aerial reconnaissance, let me know and I will...sprout my wings again."

Llyarden
2015-06-21, 04:25 AM
At Olaf's mention of his wife, Lanerlei reached out to put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I know it may be small comfort, Olaf, but we will make sure this does not happen again. To anyone."

At the mention of wings, Lanerlei gave a slightly envious look towards the disguised succubus, but said nothing. Her own wings were not strong enough to do much more than provide air currents.

ylvathrall
2015-06-21, 05:56 AM
I am assuming that you follow the trail until you see something obviously different. This takes slightly less than an hour. I don't mean to cut any of you off, and if there are additional actions you'd like to take then you're welcome to do so. I just want to get this post in before I go to bed, so as to keep people from having to wait longer than necessary.

Note: If you tell the other members of the party before you continue, they gain access to this spoiler and the Survival and Knowledge based spoilers, but not the Sense Motive based one.

The three of you notice, shortly before moving out of the trees into steeper, rockier hills, that the group you are following appears to be in one of the ravines about three hundred feet away. You see seven trolls and four large canines, presumably the winter wolves you had heard about. The trolls are all large, but one is obviously different than the others, towering over the lesser creatures much as a normal troll might over a human.

The largest of the trolls obviously did not participate in the raid. It is much too large to have traveled along the path you followed without leaving broken branches behind it, and you did not see any tracks which were remotely large enough to have belonged to it.

You recognize the smaller trolls as ice trolls. Though slightly smaller than the typical troll, they are also somewhat smarter. They are inured to the cold of these northern climes, but even less fond of fire than their southern cousins.

The larger troll, however, is a mountain troll. These creatures resemble their smaller cousins, but are quite different. In addition to being far stronger than normal trolls, they are also smarter, and considerably less malicious. Mountain trolls also possess rudimentary magical abilities.

The other creatures appear oblivious, but the largest troll paused what it was doing about the same time that you saw it. You suspect it knows you are there.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-21, 06:33 AM
"Milady, the small ones are ice trolls, they like fire even less than the normal troll, although they aren't as stupid, if just barely. The big one's not likely to have been in the raid, would have left too obvious tracks. A mountain troll, he is also smarter, and can use magic. However, they aren't innately malicious like their smaller cousins. Best of cases, they are just coexisting due to familiarity."
"It would indeed be good if we wouldn't have to deal with the larger one. Now then, let's go ahead and face them. Davis, stay a few steps behind me, just in case."
The ranger obeys orders, and as they start approaching the ravine, he casts Aspect of the Falcon on himself once more.

Hjolnai
2015-06-21, 06:53 AM
Tabrak readies his axe.

"Best if we can resolve this with words, but keep your weapons close to hand. I doubt they'll take offense as long as you're not carrying an open flame."

Frosty
2015-06-21, 03:48 PM
The succubus paladin frowns. "That...hmm...something doesn't add up. If what you say is true, then they DEFINITELY would not use fire. I'm not sure any of these trolls were involved in the attack, but perhaps we can ask them find those that were? I wish I could see if they are evil in spirit from this distance, but we must get closer for that."

ylvathrall
2015-06-22, 06:13 PM
As the party moves out of the trees, the air becomes bitterly cold. It was already chilly, of course, but now the cold becomes truly biting.

Continuing onward, the group has just started up the rocky ground leading up to the ravine when the enormous troll turns to face them. It speaks to you, although calling the sound speech is something of a misrepresentation. The creature's voice is as vast as its body, sounding more like a rockslide than the speech of a human.

"You are in my home. Why are you here? Stay away."

Characters who are not protected by Endure Elements or a similar effect must make Fortitude saves. You are currently 150 feet away from the trolls and winter wolves.

Frosty
2015-06-22, 10:13 PM
Not knowing what the giant said, Abigail whispers to the others, "Any idea if that was a friendly or hostile greeting?

Hjolnai
2015-06-23, 12:05 AM
Tabrak responded in similarly quiet tones, though the cold left him shivering.

"I don't know trollspeech, but it certainly sounds as dangerous as it looks."

Tuvarkz
2015-06-23, 12:16 AM
Davis whispers "Not really, and while I've seen milady chat in Draconic some time before, I don't think she's ever spoken in anything other than common most of the time."
Eclaire, raising her voice, says in common tongue: "Mountain Troll, I do not speak the tongue of Giants, perhaps you know of the common tongue?" She then repeats the message in Draconic.

Frosty
2015-06-23, 01:49 AM
The succubus will make sure her weapons are sheathed, and attempts some sort of universal sign of peace to convey the meaning that the group isn't here to fight.

Attempt Diplomacy to communicate the peace sign: [roll0]
Bluff is also same modifier if Abby should use that instead.

Llyarden
2015-06-23, 05:00 AM
"I knew I should have gone for the other ring," Lanerlei muttered to herself, as it became apparent that no-one actually spoke whatever language it was the troll was speaking in. Her own weapon was rather harder to conceal than some of the others, but she nonetheless had it slipped into a harness on her back, doing her best to appear non-threatening.

I'm not actually sure how you sheathe a 10ft-long glaive, but Lanerlei will have done so.

Hjolnai
2015-06-23, 05:29 AM
"Well, perhaps the troll speaks Goblin, though it seems unlikely. Worth a try."

Tabrak speaks in a louder voice:

"Do you speak Goblin tongue? Will talk?"

ylvathrall
2015-06-23, 05:30 AM
The troll says something else in the same language a few moments later. It seems to be growing agitated, and you notice that it's gripping a large stone in one hand.

Then one of the winter wolves walks up to it and appears to say a few words, also in that unknown language. The same wolf then turns and starts in your direction, picking its way delicately down the hill.

It stops about sixty feet away and sits down, watching you. "Good morning," it says in the common tongue of the region. Its voice is strange, somewhat hard to understand and very much inhuman in its pronunciation, but comprehensible. "What brings you to our home today?"

Tuvarkz
2015-06-23, 05:35 AM
"Greetings. We happened to be travelling through a road a few miles northwest from here, until we found a raided caravan of wagons. There, we found fresh troll footprints leading us all the way here. At the very least, we'd like an explanation, lest we have to solve this issue by force."

Llyarden
2015-06-23, 06:06 AM
"Good morning to you too," Lanerlei replied politely. Talking to a wolf was not the strangest thing she had done in her time, but it was certainly up there.

The wolf is just in range for the paladin's focused Detect Evil, so let's do that.

Hjolnai
2015-06-23, 06:26 AM
Tabrak nods in a diplomatic manner.

Frosty
2015-06-23, 10:11 AM
Abigail is surprised to see a wolf talk. But then, in the world full of Druids and Owlbrars, it shouldn't be that surprising. She also tries to read the wolf's aura.

"good morning to you as well. We apologize if we are intruding upon your homes, but we must investigate the brutal murders that just happened within the past hour down he hill. Will you be able to help with with that? Perhaps answer a few question?"

ylvathrall
2015-06-23, 02:27 PM
At the mention of force, one of the other winter wolves laughs. Or possibly it would be more accurate to say that it howls; distinguishing between the sounds is somewhat tricky when dealing with talking wolves. Regardless, the meaning is clear: it is amused.

The wolf which approached you ignores this completely. "Oh," it says to you distastefully. "You're here about that. Well, I don't know what to tell you. My cousins and I were in the area hunting for our dinner, but we saw the fire and stayed away. Did you have any other questions? Our large friend up there wants you to move along, and since this is actually his lair I would prefer to keep him happy."

The winter wolf appears uncomfortable, and it hurried through what it had to say. It is clearly being dishonest about something.

The winter wolf does not detect as evil.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-23, 03:00 PM
Eclaire's visage becomes clearly annoyed as she states pretty clearly: "I don't even need to bother to concentrate to see you are lying about something. The faster you correct yourself and state what truly happened, the better this will turn out."

Llyarden
2015-06-23, 03:06 PM
Lanerlei, too, frowned at the wolf. "If truly you and yours played no part in the attack on the wagons, then you have nothing to fear from us. Please, just tell us the truth and we can be out of your way much more quickly, but we have an obligation to find out what happened."

More diplomacy! Can you actually diplomatise with a wolf? I've no idea; let's find out. [roll0]

Frosty
2015-06-23, 10:06 PM
Abigail wonders about something else. How did this wolf come to know human speech? Druid? Possessed by a spirit? "Say, how did you learn how to speak our tongue? This is quite impressive and difficult, given the shape of your jaw."

ylvathrall
2015-06-24, 12:33 AM
The winter wolf treats Abigail to a toothy smile. "Speech is not difficult if you know how," it says. "The hard part is knowing what to say."

It then looks at the rest of the group, and any good humor it might have had fades away. "I like you," it says. "I'd rather not have to kill you. So please, for everyone's sake...just keep walking. My cousins will have no such reluctance about solving this with violence, I promise you."

The winter wolf turns and begins moving back towards the other creatures in the ravine.

Hjolnai
2015-06-24, 12:54 AM
"Well, we are in a difficult position now. The wolf was clearly hiding something, but that does not make the entire story false - the fires count in their favour. A dilemma then - we need answers, but must not attack those who may be innocent. Of course, if we linger here much longer the choice may be taken away from us."

Tuvarkz
2015-06-24, 01:09 AM
"One last question! Will you and your cousins attack humans, given the chance to do so while hunting for food!?"

Frosty
2015-06-24, 01:27 AM
The succubus keeps her mouth shut, but keeps staring at the winter wolf.

Abigail uses telepathy to speak with the wolf. "Please, do you have anything more you'd like to tell us? This is a secure form of communication, so you don't need to worry about anyone overhearing us, if any of the others are...coercing you. You really know nothing about the attackers of the caravan? I promise we have no ill intentions towards you."

Abigail also uses Detect Good on the wolf.

ylvathrall
2015-06-24, 02:32 AM
"Hunt humans?" the wolf says incredulously, looking back over its shoulder. "Why would we do that? They're tough, they're stringy, and they fight back. I'd rather have deer or elk any day." A chorus of yips and howls from the other wolves suggests this belief is generally agreed upon.

The winter wolf continues moving away, although it is traveling fairly slowly through the rough terrain and jumbled rocks.

When you first make contact with the winter wolf's mind, you feel a sudden burst of anger, overwhelming any rational thought. This fades quickly, though, replaced by a sense of profound, crushing weariness.

Coercion? the wolf tells you. You have no idea what you're talking about. Look, just...go away. There won't be any more caravans. It was a bad idea, I told them it was a bad idea, and if it brought people like you looking for us they won't even be able to argue with me. But if you stay here much longer, someone's going to get hurt.

The wolf is almost out of range of your spell by the time you focus your attention on it. In the time you do have, however, you do not detect an aura of good in the area.

To confirm, your character is or is not mounted right now? Also, asking because I'm not as clear on PoW stuff and I might have overlooked it, but your character doesn't have access to the trapfinding rogue class feature, correct?
There really isn't a way to ask that question innocuously, is there?

One of the small trolls appears to be having a whispered conversation with the larger one, with occasional contributions from one of the winter wolves.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-24, 09:55 AM
Not entirely convinced, Eclaire switches her right foot as if ready to turn around, but not letting herself open to a sudden attack, as she makes a mental note to have her men chop some of the trees nearest to the road and dig some holes to prevent any surprise ambushes against caravans in the future, or at least mitigate them if any do happen.

Frosty
2015-06-24, 11:17 AM
Abigail continues to stare at the wolf.

telepathy: We will leave, but you MUST tell us what happened. You said there won't be any MORE caravans. Does that mean you attacked the first one? If you were forced to for some reason, I won't harm you. If someone else is threatening you, I WILL protect you.

ylvathrall
2015-06-24, 03:06 PM
The winter wolf continues to walk away. It has now essentially rejoined the group of trolls and wolves.

Yes, we attacked the caravan, the wolf tells you. You happy now? Look, I'll try to find you later to explain, but right now you need to go. From the way this conversation's going, you have about ten seconds to get out of sight before one of these trolls tries to kill you.

The winter wolf is now at the very limit of your telepathic range.

Llyarden
2015-06-24, 03:17 PM
Once Lanerlei was sure the wolf was out of even the best hearing range, she turned to her companions. "Is it just me or did that wolf seem...worried somehow, as if it were being coerced to say what it did? 'For everyone's sake,' it said." She frowned after the wolf and towards the other wolves and trolls. "There's obviously something not right, but I am loath to cause a fight here when we do not know the full story." She pursed her lips, wings twitching as she thought. "Perhaps we should return to Olaf and ask him to tell us the full story; after all we hardly waited to ask him any questions about the affair."

Frosty
2015-06-24, 03:57 PM
telepathy: Kalsgard. I await you. thinks Abigail to the wolf right before the wolf walks out of range.

"We can discuss that later. Let's return to the caravan and make sure everyone is still well. That troll is about to start throwing rocks at us, and we done have convincing proof of their involvement...yet.". Abigail's wings would twitch, if they were manifested right now. Instead she just twitches her nose, turns around, and starts walking away.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-24, 06:16 PM
Eclaire turns around and starts walking back to what should be a camp now. Davis gives one final glare to the trolls and wolves, untrusting, taking steps backwards until he reaches the trees, at which point he turns around and follows by the knight's side.

Hjolnai
2015-06-24, 10:01 PM
"Time will tell, I suppose. I just hope there aren't any more attacks because of the delay."

Without another word, Tabrak turns and starts walking.

ylvathrall
2015-06-25, 01:18 PM
Returning to the site of the caravan attack, you encounter no animals larger than a squirrel. Davis looks for tracks, attempting to determine whether the path you followed split off from another group, but he finds nothing.

It takes you slightly less than an hour to return to where you left Olaf and the soldiers, by which time it is early afternoon. You estimate that the sun will set in about five or six hours.

The camp itself has been fortified considerably, with the more intact pieces of the wagons hauled into place to form a crude stockade. The spaces between the wagons are filled with freshly cut trees from the forest and large stones, and more trees have been cut into stakes and arranged outside the stockade to disrupt any kind of organized charge.

As you approach the stockade, a man in heavy plate armor comes to greet you. "Sir," he says to Eclaire, saluting. "We've set up defenses around the camp, as you can see. We don't have walls on the other side, but it runs right up to the river, so we shouldn't need them. Some of our archers brought down a deer and some rabbits, and we've got enough firewood laid in to last the night if you want to stay here."

Inside the stockade, the soldiers have established camp. Many are already bedded down and snoring, while others gnaw at trail rations. A large bonfire burns at the center of camp, with a substantial pile of dry wood nearby. Olaf is lying on a bedroll near the fire, sound asleep.

The man who greeted you was John, your level 5 Warder follower.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-25, 02:54 PM
"Good job" Eclaire smiles at the man, and then says: "Now then, if there are any men besides those that shall stand watch with some energy left, I want them to chop down trees alongside the road while the sun is still up. Leave small stumps there, not tall enough to hide anything behind, but just enough to prevent anything from charging from the trees. Whatever wood we can't carry, have it burned tonight." Finishing this, she turns to the ranger: "Davis, go help with the cooking. Three paladins have joined the caravan, so do your best." The archer excitedly nods and runs off to help with preparing the deer.

Frosty
2015-06-26, 01:12 AM
Abigail waits until Eclaire is finished giving orders, and then takes the group aside to speak to them privately. "Ms...Eclair, was it? I recommend you tell your men that if they see one lone Winter Wolf approach, and that wolf is not acting hostile, to refrain from shooting or attacking. The wolf we talked to informed me that yes, they did attack caravan, but there was a reason and he'll search me out and tell me why. The fact that the wolf did not radiate evil tells me we should give him a fair hearing first. There may be unusual circumstances. Of course, we should also speak to Olaf again after he wakes up."

Tuvarkz
2015-06-26, 01:35 AM
Eclaire seems to ponder for a moment on what to answer, and nods. "I don't entirely agree with your decision, but now that it's been done we might as well get the most out of it." She then talks to a nearby soldier, who nods at the order and goes off to inform those chopping the trees and those making guard. "However, if that wolf doesn't come by tomorrow, or we are ambushed by them overnight, I'll go cull them all."

Hjolnai
2015-06-26, 02:32 AM
Tabrak nods, something of a fearsome sight with his grim visage.

"I see... It is not my way to dwell on the past - but we must prevent future attacks. If a peaceful solution can be forged, that is all the better; nonetheless, I will not hesitate to strike down the raiders should it prove necessary."

Llyarden
2015-06-26, 04:13 AM
"Agreed," Lanerlei said. "These are not dumb beasts and I could not in good conscience agree with killing them if even some of them are making efforts to contact us peacefully. But we cannnot permit the chance of this to happen again."

The large camp was a little bit unusual to Lanerlei, who was far more used to travelling on her own or in small groups, but she was starting to appreciate the benefits that such a camp provided.

ylvathrall
2015-06-27, 04:31 PM
Several hours pass uneventfully. Several soldiers go out and begin clearing the nearby forest, dragging the downed trees back to the camp. The greenest wood is used to reinforce the stockade, while the rest is added to the firewood pile, and soon the bonfire at the center of the camp is stoked to an even larger blaze. Davis dresses the game and uses most of the meat and some herbs from the forest to make a stew, thinking that this will be the best way to stretch the meat out to feed such a large group.

Finally, as afternoon begins to fade into evening, Olaf stirs and then sits up. For a moment he appears frightened, then he looks around and seems to relax again.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-27, 05:37 PM
In the meantime, Eclaire spends the time checking around the camp, occasionally chatting up with one of her followers. As Davis finishes cooking, she guides the paladins into a table set near the large campfire. She takes the head, on her right side the closest seat empty, followed by Alan, Lance, and John, a man in priestly robes taking the furthest away seat on the left, leaving three spaces open on said side.

Davis will serve the rest of the followers, and then bring the pot to serve the ones gathered at the table, then serve himself and take the right seat.

Frosty
2015-06-28, 03:23 AM
The succubus (in human form), makes sure to guide Olaf to the table as well, and sits right across from him, giving him a reassuring smile. Before starting the meal, she gives sincere thanks to Eclair. "Your people are very efficient, and the food smells very good."

Once the eating commences, Abigail will observe Olaf for a bit to see how comfortable he is. "Olaf, how are you feeling now? Have you managed to recover your wife's body? If it is still in one piece, I may be able to..."

Hjolnai
2015-06-28, 06:27 AM
There is something vaguely incongruous about how Tabrak eats. With his helm hanging from a cord behind his head, his gauntlets on the ground in front of him, he eats the stew quickly but with precision, chewing exactly twice for each spoonful. From the moment the bowl is handed to him until it is empty, he says not a word in between, stopping only for a nod of thanks at the start.

ylvathrall
2015-06-28, 02:28 PM
Olaf accepts the food gratefully, and appears to enjoy it, gulping down the stew with obvious enthusiasm. "Thank you," he says to Davis between bites. "The stew is excellent."

At Abigail's question, however, he pauses. "We found my wife," he says, looking at the table rather than the paladin. "But...the fire...there isn't much left to bury. She is with the Lady now, at least." He closes his eyes and says a brief prayer to Desna. Some of the phrasing is different from what you're accustomed to, but it is clearly a request that the goddess gather up the souls of the dead.

From everything you know about raising the dead, the body being badly burned alone is not enough to prevent the spell from functioning, although if body parts have been actually destroyed by fire the results will not be ideal.

Frosty
2015-06-28, 06:32 PM
The succubus gives the grieving man a few moments. "Can you......show me the remains after dinner? The more of her that actually remains, the better the resurrection will be. I can't actually regrow lost body parts, but a powerful priest might be able to do with powerful divine magics after your wife is brought back. Priests of such power are rare, however."

Tuvarkz
2015-06-29, 12:36 AM
Eclaire was eating with composure, as she heard the succubus talk. She had considered telling Olaf that for a moment, but the man seemed in the process of getting past his grief and would rather not have given him potentially false hopes.

Hjolnai
2015-06-29, 01:01 AM
Having finished his meal quickly, Tabrak was also ready to talk.

"Burns enough to kill won't prevent raising, but if limbs and organs are destroyed... some things can't be fixed without greater magics. Often it is better to let the dead go to their next life than to bring them back to face only pain. Certainly it is best to look at... the body, but there is no need for Olaf to see that again."

ylvathrall
2015-06-29, 07:14 PM
As the meal reaches its conclusion, the sun sets. A few minutes later the soldiers who had been out clearing the forest start trickling back into camp. The man who had been directing the operation comes to Eclaire and salutes. "Sir," he says. "It's getting cold fast now that the sun's gone down. I didn't want to keep our people out there for fear of frostbite or worse."

After you finish eating, Olaf remains by the bonfire while anyone interested goes to look at the body of his wife. The body is badly charred, almost unrecognizable, but still largely intact. The attackers don't seem to have broken into the burning wagon to brutalize the corpse the way they did most of the victims, and it's still in one piece.

Am I to presume that you took an hour between getting back and eating to rest and recover your Lay on Hands for the day?

Frosty
2015-06-30, 03:46 AM
"In one piece...that's the important part..." says Abigail as she kneels down next to the charred corpse, and once again summons forth her spiritual energies to channel Saranrae's grace. Even though she has rested, the continued usage of this powerful gift taxes the demon seemingly even more than before. As she reverts to the demon form from the strain, her nose also starts bleeding. "Y.....ygg.....uuurg....by the grace of the redeemer...let my life force be the poor soul's guiding light!"

Yes, she heals Olaf with her last use of LoH,if Olaf is still hurt, and then spends a mythic power to recuperate. Now she spends 10 uses again, and suffers a second negative level. The penalties will start adding up, but Abigail is willing to give much of herself for others.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-30, 06:25 AM
Eclaire nods at the man, and then follows Abigail. Davis remains at the table to help clean, while Alan and Lance keep pace with their leader.

Llyarden
2015-06-30, 07:05 AM
Lanerlei had said little throughout the entire dinner beyond complimenting Eclaire and her people on the fine food, instead watching cautiously, waiting for the wolf to arrive. As Abigail began her prayers again, the aasimar watched with some degree of concern as the succubus...drained herself, or whatever exactly it was she was doing, for the second time. It seemed to take more out of her this time, and Lanerlei wondered if she would actually know when to stop. Either way, she stayed close to Abigail, in case the redeemed succubus actually collapsed entirely.

Hjolnai
2015-06-30, 08:06 AM
The burnt corpse is rather grisly, but Tabrak is unmoved. On seeing Abigail's suffering, he forms an expression of concern - rather a strange look for a hobgoblin.

"She taxes herself without hesitation to the benefit of others. I can think of few better signs to show that one has rejected the darkness within."

Frosty
2015-06-30, 11:49 AM
The succubu a gasps in exertion and in pain, and slumps to the ground in a sitting position, like last time. Abigail looks more fatigued than before, and barely has the strength to wipe the blood from her nose.

ylvathrall
2015-06-30, 01:22 PM
As before, the grievous injuries seem to undo themselves, as though the succubus is turning back time. The result is stranger to watch when the injuries in question are burns rather than cuts and gashes. Flesh actually grows back around the woman's bones, and the charred, blackened surface flakes away, replaced from beneath with healthy skin. Over the course of a minute, as the succubus seems to grow increasingly exhausted, the corpse returns to an intact condition.

Then, very suddenly, she sits up. She coughs loudly, and rolls onto her side until she is braced on her hands and knees. She continues to cough for several seconds before gagging, seemingly about to vomit. A moment later she spits out a mouthful of thick, sooty mucus. The woman then collapses back to the ground, obviously exhausted by the ordeal.

Olaf, who had been standing on the periphery since about halfway through the resurrection process, steps forward and wraps his arm gently around her shoulders, helping her to sit. He murmurs into her ear, explaining what has happened and soothing any fear she might feel. A few seconds later she shivers and leans against him more closely. Naked, and far enough from the bonfire that the heat is muted, she is clearly growing cold in the night air.

Five minutes after all this goes on, you all hear a wolf howl to the east. The sound is drawn out, long and lonely, and loud enough that no one could miss it. There is another howl a second later, and a third after that, all from the same direction.

Llyarden
2015-06-30, 01:35 PM
Lanerlei leant down to offer the succubus a hand up, looking cautiously to the east, as if she might somehow see the cause for the howling from this distance. "Here. You two should stay by the fire," she added after a moment to Olaf and his newly-resurrected wife, pulling off her cloak and handing it to the woman. She hoped that the wolf Abigail had said would approach would not betray the trust they had shown it, but equally...wolves were pack animals at heart, intelligent or otherwise. Unless Abigail had a different idea, therefore, she headed towards the outskirts of the camp in the direction the howling had come from, supporting the drained succubus paladin as necessary.

Tuvarkz
2015-06-30, 02:01 PM
Eclaire says: "Alan, Lance, help the girl recover some energy. Also, have the men set up one of the extra tents for the couple to spend the night in. And get her a couple sets of spare clothes." The two paladins nod, and give a quick tap on the newly resurrected woman's shoulders, expending one use of Lay on Hands each, and go to complete their orders.
In the meantime, Eclaire follows Lanerlei and Abigail.

Frosty
2015-06-30, 03:21 PM
i am at work so I don't access to the books, but I think I have 1/11 LoH left and 8/9 mythic powers left. I also have 2 negative levels

Abigail gladly accepts the feature by the aasimar, and walks unsteadily towards the edge of camp, letting the couple have their reunion. "If...if I felt more steady I'd take to the skies and provide over watch. But for now I'll just keep my feet steady in the ground. Thank you'll, Lanerlei.". With that, the succubus transforms back into her human form.

ylvathrall
2015-07-01, 03:45 AM
The woman is reluctant to move closer to the fire, but she accepts the clothing gratefully. The shivering stops within a minute or thereabouts, and between this and the paladins' attentions she appears a great deal sturdier than before.

Looking east from the camp, you see no obvious presence of a massive wolf in the cleared space between the road and the trees. Judging by how loud the howls were, however, it cannot have been much further away.

If you have anything specific you want to do before (presumably) leaving the camp, please let me know. In particular, if there are any items you want to grab, if you are bringing followers with you, or if there are special conditions related to your movement (e.g., flight, stealth), please mention these details.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-01, 04:14 AM
Eclaire is about the leave the camp, until a shout of "Milady!" makes her stop. Davis reaches her side in a long sprint, takes an instant to recover his breath, and lights up a torch to illuminate the way. The archer is also carrying a skinning knife taken from the camp supplies, attached to his belt. The two of them then start walking towards the source of the shouts.

Frosty
2015-07-02, 12:19 AM
Abigail: [Mythic Power 8/9] [LoH 1/11 5d6+10] [Smite Evil 4/4]
HP (95/95) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting) -- AC (26)
Conditions: 2 Negative levels

As the group walks to the edge of camp, Abigail looks back and comments, "We need to make sure that we don't get drawn out too far, just in case this is a feint and the real threat circles around and hits the civilians from behind. Ms. Eclair, do you require light? If not, we should douse our torches. I think wolves and trolls still need light."

The succubus has her scimitar drawn and her shield readied.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-02, 01:26 AM
Davis comments: "Actually, they can see in the dark just fine." He then grabs the knife he had picked up with his free hand.

ylvathrall
2015-07-02, 04:23 AM
You run into no trouble crossing the open space. In large part thanks to the efforts of Eclaire's troops, the ground is clear and easy to navigate, even in the dark.

Away from the camp, you do feel the cold set in. This isn't the vicious, biting cold you experienced earlier, merely the chill of a spring night in the far north, but still cause for concern. The bonfire warded it off easily enough, but out here you only have a single torch, and you notice the cold.

You've almost reached the forest when you see the gleam of eyes reflecting the torchlight, just barely within the trees. The wolf steps out a moment later, looking around nervously. It looks you over, and a moment later seems to fixate on the torch. "Hello," it says. "Would you mind putting the fire out? It's...a little distracting."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-02, 05:31 AM
Eclaire answers: "As it happens to be, most of us have trouble seeing in the dark, and in this situation, I'd rather have a clear sight of the nearby area. But for sake of compromise," she turns to her cohort "Davis, please take a few steps back, but keep us illuminated." The ranger does so, but for security's sake, sheathes his knife once more, and uses his last Aspect of the Falcon on himself, eyes focused on what isn't illuminated by the torch. The knight, turning to the wolf, asks: "Is it better now?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-02, 12:49 PM
"I suppose so," the wolf says dubiously, backing away a little as well and continuing to watch the torch. It glances past you, seeming to focus on the encampment behind you, and slumps dejectedly as it returns to staring at the fire. "You have an army?" it asks. "I knew this was a bad idea, but I didn't realize it was this bad. We're all going to die, aren't we?"

Davis sees nothing of note in the darkness. There is no sign of trolls or other winter wolves, and no suggestion of an ambush. Even the normal animals appear to have gone still, likely due to the presence of the winter wolf and the party.

Llyarden
2015-07-02, 12:56 PM
"I hope not," Lanerlei replied. As she spoke, her hair began to glow with a soft golden light that illuminated the area just as well as Davis's torch had. "If this can be resolved peacefully, I will do my best to ensure it is. Isn't that why you are here as well?"

Lanerlei uses that one power that I totally forgot she had because I rolled for it in the recruitment thread and then didn't add it to my statblock: "As a move action, you can manifest or dismiss a halo around your head that sheds colored light as a torch."

ylvathrall
2015-07-02, 01:38 PM
"I'd like peace," the wolf says. "I really would. But I don't think my cousins or the trolls are going to even consider the idea. And even for me, it's...well, it's not so simple. We don't exactly have a lot of choices. There's a lot of reasons for it, but what it comes down to is...well, how much do you know about Irrisen?"

Characters with any of the following knowledge skills can roll them for information about Irrisen:

Arcana, geography, history, local, martial, nature, planes

Obviously, what information you get will depend on what types of knowledge and what results you get.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-02, 05:02 PM
"Irrisen... I remember about it. Founded more than a millenium ago by Baba Yaga, first and greatest of witches, who fought the Linnorm Kings and defeated them with sheer magical might, taking Irrisen in the span of little more than three weeks. For some reason, she lost interest and stopped her path of conquest."
Davis then adds: "Milady, Irrisen is also known for ice-aligned creatures living there. Additionally, most of the fey that live there are malevolent."

Frosty
2015-07-02, 10:50 PM

Aezoria frowns a bit. "Baba Yaga? So that was her name? Irrisen's witch was only discussed briefly amongst...my peers, and unfortunately I didn't pay too much attention. Still, I heard she was powerful enough to make even demons wary of her. Powerful one, she was. Or perhaps is?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-02, 11:21 PM
"Is," the winter wolf replies. "Very much is. That's kind of the problem. Every hundred years, she comes back and gets rid of the queen, and her whole family. Puts someone else in charge. And this year, it's when she's coming back again, you understand? And the queen, she doesn't want to just disappear. So she's going to start a war. She's going to conquer everything to the west, all the way to the sea, so that when she's gone people will at least remember she existed."

The wolf swallows hard and looks away. If a wolf could look ashamed, this one does. "This was the first attack. The beginning of the war."

Frosty
2015-07-02, 11:38 PM

Aezoria narrows her eyes. "You are troops of the queen then? And that caravan attack was just the first? So what, you have no choice but to obey? You can't...defect?"

Using her telepathy, the succubus mentally alerts the others, "Keep an eye out. Maybe this really is a trap to lure us away from the others."

Hjolnai
2015-07-03, 12:03 AM
Tabrak is rather disconcerted to hear the voice of the succubus within his mind, but tries not to show it.

"A difficult situation indeed. Who is your queen? Perhaps she can be persuaded to take an alternative course of action - no witch, not even this... Baba Yaga can be unstoppable."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-03, 02:02 AM
"So a queen ordered an unannounced attack on an traveling caravan as an act of opening war? That is both cowardly and dishonorable. While in war there's place for cutting the enemy's supply lines, to make such an attack on innocents unaware of the danger happening upon them...Is the mountain troll involved in this?"
She makes a mental nod upon hearing the succubus's voice.

ylvathrall
2015-07-03, 02:26 AM
"You can't beat Baba Yaga," the winter wolf says flatly. "Some of the old queens have tried. They've raised armies, or made deals with demon lords. It doesn't matter. Baba Yaga always wins. Always."

It then sighs. "The other is...I don't know. It's complicated. I don't like Irrisen, I don't want to be fighting for them. But I got in the habit of taking orders, because it was easy and...they do things to you if you don't follow orders in Irrisen. But then, ever since I got here, my mind feels so much clearer. I don't think I could go back to doing that. But the idea of defecting is scary, for a lot of reasons."

Upon hearing Eclaire's question, the wolf looks even more ashamed. "No," it says, not looking directly at any of you. "The big guy doesn't know anything about it. Doesn't even know we came from Irrisen."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-03, 03:02 AM
"I must agree with the wolf on this one. Stopping Baba Yaga would be as hard as charging into Hell itself with the intention of taking Asmodeus's head. And, simply put, I don't feel like collaborating with Irrisen. We have two choices, either go on the aggressive and disable Irrisen's war machine, leaving before Baba Yaga returns; or stay on the defensive against their attacks. Regardless," Eclaire looks at the wolf "you seem to be repentant enough. Yet we still need to deal with your cousins and the ice trolls. Do you have any objections to us taking them down?"

Frosty
2015-07-03, 03:43 AM

The succubus starts trying to look for the taint of evil. "Mr. Tabrak is right. It's not Baba Yaga that's making war. It's the current queen. She sounds like she needs to be deposed. Perhaps an early warning to the 4 Linnorm King and other leaders? We can rally support for a coalition to defeat this witch queen before Baba Yaga comes back."

Aezoria starts detecting evil all around.

Hjolnai
2015-07-03, 04:41 AM
"Perhaps this Baba Yaga truly is beyond us, though many legends grow beyond their creators. Regardless, Abigail is correct in naming the Queen as the source of war. I cannot agree with meeting armies with armies, though - that way, thousands will die on both sides, and many more will suffer. Better to make that our final contingency where all other avenues fail."

ylvathrall
2015-07-03, 12:57 PM
"You're right that the others need to be dealt with," the winter wolf says. "They're just going to keep following their orders otherwise. It's all they know...and I think some of them actually enjoy it. But you might want to wait for morning, especially if you need light to see. They don't."

You do not detect the presence of evil in the area.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-03, 02:12 PM
Eclaire nods, and says: "You are invited to stay the night near the camp or inside, if so you wish. After all, we need you to talk to the Mountain troll out of involving himself into this."

Frosty
2015-07-03, 09:36 PM

Aezoria nods. "Will it look suspicious if you stay with us? And are your cousins planning on anything tonight? Maybe we can think of a way to turn the big fella to our side as well. Convince him that someone has been rudely messing with his head?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-04, 10:47 PM
"I'd rather stay out here, if you don't mind," the winter wolf says dubiously, looking in the direction of the encampment. It's fairly distant, but the bonfire is burning bright enough to be easily visible even from here. "The fire is...well, I think I'd be more comfortable if I stay away from it, you understand? The others might think it's odd when I don't come back, but it's no worse than what they'd think if I do. I'm not exactly a good liar."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-05, 12:37 AM
"Very well then. I'll see you in the morning." Eclaire turns around and starts walking back towards the camp, intent on going to sleep immediately after reaching her tent.

Frosty
2015-07-05, 03:11 AM
Before Abigail goes, she asks, "do you think there's any chance the the trolls will listen to reason? I'd prefer to disable instead of kill whenever possible."

ylvathrall
2015-07-05, 04:30 AM
"Maybe you can talk to them," the winter wolf says doubtfully. "I never managed it, but I suppose you might have better luck." It then stands and shakes itself vigorously, scattering snow into the air. "I need some sleep," it says, sounding apologetic. "But I'll be here in the morning."

Those of you who return to the camp encounter nothing out of the ordinary as you do so, nor do you perceive anything that doesn't belong. The aurora burns and dances in the sky to the north, reminding you once again of where you are, and the air is growing even colder now that the sun has been down for a time.

Back at camp, Olaf and his wife have settled into one of the tents and, as far as can be determined from outside, are currently fast asleep. Most of the soldiers have followed suit. A handful are still awake keeping watch. They walk circuits of the camp, keeping a lookout for anything approaching or any disturbance within the stockade. In between they huddle close to the fire, trying to keep warm in the face of the relentless chill in the air.

Assuming you go to sleep now, you sleep for eight hours without interruption and wake up shortly before dawn.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-05, 06:03 AM
The morning begins with Eclaire and John performing some warmup exercises before engaging into a spar, during the which the young warder can barely manage to block the knight's barrage of slashes, receiving a few hits in the process. In the meantime, Davis and the rest of spellcasters find a relatively quiet place to take their time to prepare their spells.
After everyone eats their first meal of the day, Eclaire calls for Davis and Derfel, plus a squad of twenty archers.

Frosty
2015-07-06, 03:03 AM
Abigail sighs as she walked back to camp. It appears the horn of battle are once again being blown. She has had enough of that in the blood wars, but now she fights for a good cause at least.

Back at camp, she does rest and pray, but she also doesn't need sleep, being a true Outsider. So, she takes watches as well, speaking to some of the men, if they are willing to speak with her.

In the morning, she feels refreshed, except for the strain of resurrecting the couple. That won't go away until a full 24 hour has passed. The succubus does go to check on the couple, however.

Llyarden
2015-07-06, 04:56 AM
"Good night," Lanerlei said to the wolf as it departed, feeling a little silly for saying that to a wolf, but saying it nonetheless.

As she woke up early in the morning, the aasimar spent her time while others were praying and preparing spells painting a small picture of Olaf and his wife from memory. It was not a particularly well-made picture, but she hoped they would like it. Not particularly wanting to wake them, she added a small note to explain who it was from as well as wish them the best of luck with their new lives, and tucked it just inside their tent so it wouldn't get wet should it rain.

Just in case the result of the Craft check matters for whatever odd reason, Lanerlei will take 10 for a result of 16.

Hjolnai
2015-07-06, 06:43 AM
Tabrak sleeps lightly, easily woken by any disturbance. A useful pattern for an adventurer, but not so helpful when surrounded by friends. As a consequence, he is late to rise, and is still rubbing at his eyes as he calls upon his divine power to instantly don his armour. He remains somewhat sullen in the light of the new day, and mutters mild imprecations at the cold.

Nonetheless, he is ready to face the challenges the day might bring.

ylvathrall
2015-07-06, 02:10 PM
Some of the soldiers are wary of you, but they are grateful for the company, and it doesn't take long for even the most suspicious of the bunch to relax. Several of them make crude comments throughout the night, but are quickly shushed by the others. Overall you find the group to be quite courteous and pleasant.

In the morning when you go to check on Olaf and his wife, you find that they are both still sound asleep, but apparently healthy. As you are standing there, Lanerlei approaches the tent. The aasimar is holding a small package.

You approach the tent where Olaf and his wife are staying, but find Abigail already there, peeking inside.

When you wake, you feel much recovered from the previous day, with fresh energy coursing through you. Mechanically, this means that the nonlethal damage and fatigue effect are gone.

A group of soldiers has gathered by the edge of the camp, led by Davis. The archers are stretching and readying their weapons. Several of them appear nervous, and there are some anxious mutterings about trolls, but on the whole they appear ready to face whatever comes next.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-06, 04:39 PM
Eclaire places herself in front of the twenty archers, Davis and Derfel flanking her, as she addresses them: "Valiant companions of mine! Last night, I've received most dire information about the attack on the caravan! This was not an attack made out of banditry nor from beasts that wished to feed, but an act of war! The vile queen of Irrisen, knowing that her time is nigh, wishes to leave a permanent mark of her existence in this world, and thus has chosen to attack these lands, using this ambush as a declaration act! They did not send an envoy for a formal declaration! They did not assault a military fort! They were so cowardly and immoral to dare attack mere civilians unannounced!
Thus, it's our moral and sacred duty to punish such transgressors, who have felt no remorse for this massacre!
How I've come to know the entire details of this? One of the wolves involved, remorseful of his acts and willing to atone for them, came to us to confirm the details of what we suspected! That not only these invaders would dare involve civilians, but would also hide under the hospitality of an unknowing third party!
Their numbers are not few, and your support for myself, Davis and our three paladin guests would be invaluable! I ask of you, will you once more follow me to battle!?"
As Eclaire finishes her speech, Derfel uses Communal Endure Elements three times consecutively: Twice for the archers, blessing one half at a time, and the third time spread amongst Eclaire, Davis, Abigail, Larnelei and Tabrak.

Frosty
2015-07-07, 10:58 AM
Abigail is glad to have found acceptance amongst the soldiery and tells them to come to her for any healing needs.

In the morning, she smiles as she sees the couple safe and sound. Turning around to the aasimar's footsteps, the succubus lowers her head in greetings. "Good morning Ms Lanerlei. Do you have a gift for Olaf and his wife? Or is that just breakfast?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-08, 09:19 PM
As Eclaire wraps up her speech, a muted cheer goes up from the gathered soldiers, along with a handful of shouted threats against Irrisen, wolves, trolls, and Eclaire's enemies in general. A handful of the men don't appear quite as enthusiastic about it, but none of them refuse to go and fight.

As the group moves out, Davis has no difficulty following the trail from the previous day. Shortly inside the trees, you see a winter wolf standing in the way. "Oh," it says, staring at you. "I wasn't expecting so many. You, ah...might want to be careful as we approach them. My cousins have very good hearing. Oh, and don't stand so close together. It makes a good target."

As though to demonstrate this last point, the wolf turns well away from you and takes a deep breath. A moment later it exhales forcefully. A cloud of fog pours from its mouth as it does, spreading fully fifteen feet out in a broad cone before dissipating. It leaves behind plants encased in ice, glittering in the sunlight. A squirrel that happened to be in one of the trees falls a moment later, hitting the ground with a thunk more appropriate to a chunk of ice than flesh.

"You don't want to be standing in front of that," the winter wolf says, panting slightly. It then walks over and picks up the squirrel. A snap, a gulp, and the squirrel is gone, not even a mouthful for the massive wolf.

I am assuming that Eclaire will leave some of her followers behind to guard the camp?

Frosty
2015-07-09, 01:31 AM
After the speech, Abigail goes up to Eclair. "Good speech, Ms. Eclair. Inspiring stuff. I wish I could get men to follow me like that..."

Upon meeting the winter wolf again and seeing the effects of the cold breath, she worries for the members of the army. "It is good to see you again. So, how often can you use your freezing breath? It is quite...potent. And how far away would you say we are from your...cousins?"

Abigail is going to find time to use the following aility, assuming she thinks the fight will happen within an hour.

Prayer of the Fourth Act (Su)

At 6th level, by spending 1 minute praying a sword of valor can spend one use of channel energy to give living creatures in the channel burst temporary hit points equal to the amount that ability normally heals. These temporary hit points last for no more than 1 hour.

This replaces the paladin’s mercy gained at 6th level.

She will also cast Resist Energy (Cold) at some point. Not sure on whom yet.

Hjolnai
2015-07-09, 02:17 AM
Tabrak pulls half a dozen torches and three oil flasks from his troll slayer's kit.

"Eclaire, your troops will need fire to provide proper support - I'll leave you to distribute these as you adjust the formation in awareness of the wolves' power. Best if they're not lit before words have a chance, though."

He turns to face the others.

"The mountain troll is innocent in this, but without any way to speak its language we may have to subdue it as well. If necessary, I should face it - I am well equipped to bring down opponents without long-term harm, though against a troll that may not be so important."

ylvathrall
2015-07-09, 02:52 AM
"We can...do that every...few seconds," the wolf says, still panting. "It just takes...your breath away for a while." It takes one more deep breath and then shakes itself vigorously, seeming completely recovered. "And I'm guessing they're still where they were, so it's a little under an hour away. For trolls, at least, and I think you move about as fast as they do. I could go ahead and scout if you want." The wolf grins, seeming quite pleased to have come up with something useful to offer.

It sobers quickly, however. "When we get there," it says, "let me talk to the big guy first. I think I can explain what's happening. And if not...well, just try not to kill him. He's not a bad sort, for a troll."

You should have plenty of opportunity to use your ability. Based on what the winter wolf said and your own experience the previous day, you think you're just under an hour away if everyone maintains a good pace, or a little longer if people aren't moving quite as quickly. I'm going to assume that you wait until you're a little closer to use it, so that you will have some margin of error in your estimate of timing.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-09, 02:58 AM
"Very well, let me explain the battle plan: The forest's cover ends up until around 120 feet from the furthest point in the ravine, which means that all the enemies are in longbow range. The archers will all hide on the edge of the forest, until at least three out of four of us melee charge into the front of the battlefield to engage the wolves and trolls. At that point, you'll come out of the forest, making two rows of 10 men each directly on front of the trees, the left flank and the right flank each focusing into a single target separately, then moving on to the next one and so forth. Davis, you will provide mid-range support. If any enemy gets past the front line, archers focus all of your fire into it." Eclaire also nods at the wolf when he makes his suggestion.

Yeah, only taking 20 archers from the camp. 15 Archers, the magi, paladins, John and Derfel are all staying to guard it.
Also, due to Stealth Synergy, the archers are all constantly rolling a total of 23 in stealth

Llyarden
2015-07-09, 07:16 AM
"Good morning to you too, Abigail," Lanerlei replied. "Are you feeling better after...yesterday? And please, just Lanerlei is fine," she added. "This..." she shrugged, tucking the package just inside the tent if Abigail moved to let her in. "My attempt to bring a little of Shelyn's beauty to this world. I'm afraid I'm not a very good painter, though," she added with a hint of embarrassment.

---

The aasimar bowed her head in acknowledgement of Eclaire's plan. "When the fighting starts, I will try to bring a little of Shelyn's grace to assist us, for the start of the fight at least, but it may take me a few moments. Those that would want to benefit from it will need to gather around me a little."

Frosty
2015-07-09, 10:51 PM
Responding to Lanerlei's concern, Abigail forces a smile. "I'm...a little stiff is all. I'll be fine by the end of the afternoon. As for your name...are you sure, I would hate to be impolite."

The succubus looks on as Lanerlei's places the package, intrigued by it. "I'm sure it's lovely. I for sure cannot Create lovely art...". She seems a tad sad, and perhaps added a slightly emphasis on the word "create."

-------------------------------

Regarding battle plans, Abigail says, "When the wolf returns from scouting, when we are somewhat closer to the targets, I would like to give everyone a blessing as well. I can bolster everyones' bodies to withstand more harm temporarily. I can also make a few of us resistant cold, although the more people I spread the protection to, the shorter the protection lasts."

Hjolnai
2015-07-11, 05:15 AM
Tabrak carefully eyes his axe, checking for the fifth time this morning that there are no cracks in the haft and that the blade is securely fitted and sharp. Such maintenance is hardly needed for magical weapons, but the habit sticks from when it used to be more important.

Without raising his eyes from the weapon, he speaks once more.

"Your protective magics will be appreciated, but we must take care not to make the close gathering an easy target. Best to keep careful watch at that time."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-11, 06:58 AM
"Sir Tabrak, I appreciate the thought, but the arrows being soaked in oil and the fire being passed around would reveal the ambush beforehand, as well as possibly start up a forest fire if someone is not careful." She then says: "If everyone's ready to go, we should get on our way."

ylvathrall
2015-07-11, 07:42 PM
The winter wolf moves off almost immediately after you agree, seeming glad to be moving. It runs off through the forest, easily outpacing you and not seeming at all impaired by the snow on the ground.

It returns only a few minutes later, breathing hard and, as far as can be determined, grinning. "They're still there," it says. "Didn't want to get too close in case one of them heard me, but I'm pretty sure I saw all of them still standing around. Should only be a few more minutes before we get there, I think."

Tactical map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nadxfHxOIMxpsFfMXnTbRPagwdNa3k5S60lqwYVQCeE/edit#gid=0)has been updated. You can assume that your characters have access to this information from the winter wolf. At this point your characters have reason to believe that they are in an area where they can reasonably use limited duration abilities. You are currently about 200 feet to the north of the area shown on the map.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-12, 02:43 AM
"Almost there." As Eclaire whispers this, Davis casts a variety of spells on himself and the knight.

Davis uses Anticipate Peril on Eclaire, while using Aspect of the Falcon, Gravity Bow, and Acute Senses on himself. Eclaire's Initiative modifier is now 23. Davis's attack bonus is now +16/+11, dealing 2d6+2 damage at 19-20 x3 critical. His perception modifier is now +31

Llyarden
2015-07-12, 05:20 AM
Lanerlei gave Abigail a sceptical look and resolved to try to stay close to the succubus during the fighting in case she needed any help, but didn't say anything further on that note. "I'm sure you could learn to paint, Abigail," she told the other paladin. "Or sing, or write poems, or anything else of that nature."

---

"Thank you again for your assistance," Lanerlei said to the wolf, as it returned. She had no preparations of her own to make, content instead to watch for any ambushes as the others prepared.

Frosty
2015-07-12, 02:45 PM
Abigail: [Mythic Power 9/9] [LoH 9/11 5d6+10] [Smite Evil 4/4]
HP (95/95 + 17 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting) -- AC (26)

When the wolf returns, the succubus gathers everyone around. "With my prayers, our bodies will be able to withstand extra punishment. Sarenrae bless us...

With a minute of similar chanting, her entire body glows white, and a pulse of positive energy comes forth, enveloping all within 30 ft in calming, soothing, bolstering light. Then, she speaks anther brief prayer, and a golden pulse going to 50 ft out empowers her allies. Finally, she requests a benediction from her goddess to protect herself and her allies from the cold.

When she is done, she turns to the wolf. "Before we commence battle, may we please have your name? It seems rude of us to have you fight besides us but not even know who is putting himself on the line for us."

Use Prayer of the Fourth Act (Su) - 5d6 temp HP for everyone for 1 hour: [roll0]
Cast Bless on everyone (+1 morale bonus to atk and saves vs fear) for 7 minutes
Cast Communal Resist Energy (Cold) split amongst herself, Lanerlei, Eclaire, Tabrak, and anyone else Eclaire requests. Caster level 7, so Resist 20. Duration 70 mins split amongst targets.

Hjolnai
2015-07-12, 06:58 PM
"I thank you, and I thank Sarenrae for the boons she has granted us through you."

Tabrak waits a little longer before casting Angelic Aspect. Huge white wings burst from his shoulders, forming a substantial contrast with the hobgoblin's normal appearance.

Tabrak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=239539)
M LG Hobgoblin Paladin (Redeemer)/Mythic, Level 11/Tier 3, Init 4, HP 113/113, Speed 40
AC 27, Touch 13, Flat-footed 26, CMD 30, Fort 17, Ref 11, Will 15, CMB +19, Base Attack Bonus 11 /0
Greataxe +2 +21/+16/+11 (1d12+14, x3)
Heavy Mace +19/14/9 (1d8+12, x2)
Javelin (x3) +12/+7/+2 (1d6+8, x2)
Full Plate +4 (+13 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 26, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 18
Condition Prayer of the Faith: 17 temporary hp.
Bless: +1 Morale to saves vs fear, attack rolls
Communal Resist Energy: 20 Cold resistance
Angelic Aspect: Fly 30ft/average, Protection from Evil (saves, defl, mind control, evil summons), low light vision, darkvision (doesn't stack), 10 Acid resistance, 10 Cold resistance (doesn't stack), weapons considered Good.

ylvathrall
2015-07-13, 12:00 AM
The wolf tilts its head to the side. "Name?" it asks. "What is that?"

It then looks forward again. "We're there," it says. "I'm going to try to talk to the big guy. Hopefully we don't have to fight him too." The wolf runs forward, shouting something in Giant.

Tactical map has been updated. Your characters are presently in the rough vicinity of L6-Q8, probably spread out a bit to allow the followers to fit.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-13, 12:50 AM
Eclaire nods, while she stands at the border of the forest, David behind her.

Eclaire: Q8
Davis: Q7
Archers: B7-Q8 Rectangle, all taking a total of 23 on their collective Stealth rolls due to Stealth Synergy.

Llyarden
2015-07-13, 04:41 AM
"Be careful!" Lanerlei called quietly after the wolf as it left, before resting the staff of her glaive on the ground, holding it in a manner that was not immediately threatening, but where it could be drawn quickly if necessary.

Lanerlei will be in O7.

Hjolnai
2015-07-13, 08:31 AM
Tabrak carefully maneuvers his new wings through the wooded area, taking care not to catch the pinions on anything.

Tabrak is at O8.

Frosty
2015-07-13, 11:10 PM
HP (95/95 + 17 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting) -- AC (26)
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless, Resist Cold 20

If possible, Abigail bestows a benediction upon the wolf as well before he bounds off to speak to the giant. Then, she takes up position next to Eclair.

If possible, cast Shield Other on the wolf before he runs off. The wolf should also have Bless, FYI. Abigail takes position at P8

ylvathrall
2015-07-14, 12:17 AM
As soon as the wolf starts to talk, the other creatures react. One of the wolves rushes up to the mountain troll and begins snarling and barking, apparently speaking in that same language. The other winter wolves and the ice trolls rush out of the ravine. Some of the trolls draw heavy axes, while others seem to prefer their teeth and claws. One of them pulls out a heavy, clumsy spear and hurls it at the wolf you were with. The weapon bites deeply into the wolf's side, followed by a jet of blood that stains the ground a dull crimson.

The wolf draws itself up and stares. It stutters a little in its speech.

Abigail would have been able to cast the spell before the wolf ran in. I am assuming that you would have informed him what the range was, and thus he would not have gone as far, so as to remain within that range. If this is the case, Abigail takes 5 points of damage from the javelin attack.

Map has been updated to reflect enemy movement. Area is not considered difficult terrain. It is your turn in initiative; post your actions in any order.

Ice troll 1: Threw weapon.
Ice trolls 2, 5: Wielding battleaxes
Ice trolls 3, 4, 6: No weapons drawn
Winter wolf 3: Speaking to mountain troll

Tuvarkz
2015-07-14, 01:20 AM
Eclaire rushes out from the forest, moving to [L;14], shouting: "Archers, move forward and fire!", her sword covering itself in flames as she changes her footing. Davis takes the lead, moving to [M;13] and shooting an arrow at the closest ice troll. The rest of the archers follow suit, advancing to [B10-K11] and following Davis's lead, they unleash a barrage of arrows towards the same troll.

Eclaire is now in the Elemental Nimbus stance=twice her initiation modifier in fire damage on hit
Davis
Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Archers
Attack rolls:
1[roll2]
2[roll3]
3[roll4]
4[roll5]
5[roll6]
6[roll7]
7[roll8]
8[roll9]
9[roll10]
10[roll11]
11[roll12]
12[roll13]
13[roll14]
14[roll15]
15[roll16]
16[roll17]
17[roll18]
18[roll19]
19[roll20]
20[roll21]
Damage rolls
1[roll22]
2[roll23]
3[roll24]
4[roll25]
5[roll26]
6[roll27]
7[roll28]
8[roll29]
9[roll30]
10[roll31]
11[roll32]
12[roll33]
13[roll34]
14[roll35]
15[roll36]
16[roll37]
17[roll38]
18[roll39]
19[roll40]
20[roll41]

Hjolnai
2015-07-14, 02:25 AM
Tabrak sighs.

"A fight it is then."

He casts Divine Favor, before advancing to O16.

Llyarden
2015-07-14, 04:17 AM
"Shelyn, grant us the power to defend the innocent from harm!" Lanerlei called out, moving forwards and slamming the pommel of her glaive into the ground, causing a faint illusion of sparkling, colourful feathers to surround the paladins for a moment.

Move: Move to O13, drawing glaive in the process.
Standard: Cast haste as a spell-like ability, affecting Abigail, Eclaire, Davis and Lanerlei herself, but not Tabrak because he's out of range. This lasts for 11 rounds. If we can rearrange our actions within the party, then she'd have cast this before anyone started moving so Tabrak would benefit from it too, but that's up to the GM.

Frosty
2015-07-15, 01:19 AM
HP (95/95 + 17 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting) -- AC (31)
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless (7 mins), Resist Cold 20 (14 mins), Ironskin (7 mins), Haste (11 rounds),

Wanting to keep the wolf continually protected with her spell, Abigail moves close to the wolf, drawing her blade in the process. She is ready to defend him. She is also ready to defend herself as she mutters a battle blessing,, causing her soft skin to harden. She now looks like a metallic lady of iron. Shiny.

Telepathically, she communicates with the wolf. "So, friend wolf, any hope for peace?"

Draw scimitar while moving to R16. Cast Ironskin on self (+4 Nat armor).

ylvathrall
2015-07-15, 01:57 AM
The troll that threw its weapon at the wolf collapses momentarily on the ground as its body is filled with numerous arrows. A moment later, however, it surges back to its feet and runs to the side, putting distance and several of its enemies between itself and the archers. The other trolls shift to that side of the field as well, generally attempting to close the distance while also avoiding being shot.

The winter wolves, however, have the opposite reaction. The two closer ones both sprint directly towards the archers, moving with almost unbelievable speed. One of them circles entirely around the group, while the other positions itself to attack them from the front. The third wolf says a final sentence to the mountain troll before bounding out to join the ice trolls, where it growls and barks at the wolf who defected.

Finally, the mountain troll simply takes a step back and leans against the cliff face. It rumbles something in the same language as before.

The wolf who accompanied you flinches away as the javelin bites into its side. It stares at the troll which threw it for a long moment before stuttering out another phrase in that gravelly language.

The big guy says he isn't willing to take sides, the wolf replies. But at least he isn't against us. The others...I don't think there's any other way this can end.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-15, 04:48 AM
Eclaire notices her archers being surrounded by a couple of Ice wolves, and charges at the one closest to her (moving to D; 13), shouting: "You are done for!" as the fire on her weapon becomes massive. As she strikes the in front of them, the archers turn around and shoot everything at the wolf that is behind them. Davis then changes his stance, holy energy filling his bow, and takes a five foot step to where Eclaire was, as he unleashes a barrage of holy arrows onto the third wolf.

Eclaire activates Victory gambit (On reducing foe to 0 hp or less, +5 morale bonus to attack rolls to all allies on their next attack-effectively increasing their rolls by +4 considering everyone is under a +1 morale bonus already), charges Wolf 2 and attacks with Elemental Vortex (In addition to the damage, should wolf not die, DC 20 Reflex or catch on fire for 2d4 rounds, being sickened as long as being on fire)(Plus, should Wolf go to 0 hp or less, due to Victorious Presence, everyone within 30 feet of Eclaire gains an additional 15 temporary hit points)
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll-Physical Damage
[roll1]
Damage roll-Fire Damage
[roll2]
All of the archers(currently having 12 hit points+17 temporary ones, most gaining an additional 15 temp hit points if Eclaire succeeds on her gambit) fire on Wolf 1, gaining the benefits of the Point-Blank Shoot feat due to the wolf's closeness
Attack rolls
1[roll3]
2[roll4]
3[roll5]
4[roll6]
5[roll7]
6[roll8]
7[roll9]
8[roll10]
9[roll11]
10[roll12]
11[roll13]
12[roll14]
13[roll15]
14[roll16]
15[roll17]
16[roll18]
17[roll19]
18[roll20]
19[roll21]
20[roll22]
Damage rolls
1[roll23]
2[roll24]
3[roll25]
4[roll26]
5[roll27]
6[roll28]
7[roll29]
8[roll30]
9[roll31]
10[roll32]
11[roll33]
12[roll34]
13[roll35]
14[roll36]
15[roll37]
16[roll38]
17[roll39]
18[roll40]
19[roll41]
20[roll42]
Davis swaps from Silver Crane Waltz to Stance of the Silver Crane, granting his weapons the benefits of the holy weapon special ability, and full attacks Wolf 3. He also loses his +2 deflection bonuses to AC and Reflex saves, but gains the benefits of the protection from evil spell.
Attack rolls
[roll43]
[roll44]
[roll45]
Damage rolls (good aligned damage)
[roll46]
[roll47]
[roll48]

ylvathrall
2015-07-15, 05:40 AM
(Note: posting out of turn order to reflect an attack of opportunity. Other characters continue with their turn as normal.)

As the archers draw their bows to shoot, one of them takes his eyes off the wolf for a critical moment. The creature is quick to capitalize on this opportunity, lashing out with its jaws.

Target: Archer in C10
Attack: [roll0]
Cold damage: [roll2]
Bleed damage: [roll3]
Trip (automatic if attack connects): [roll4]

Critical confirmation: [roll5]
Critical damage: [roll6]

Llyarden
2015-07-15, 08:07 AM
"Leave them alone!" Lanerlei yelled at the wolves, spinning on her heel and darting back past the archers to bring her glaive down on the creature that Eclaire had not struck, a blaze of golden light radiating from her to bathe the archers and Eclaire.

Move: Moving to F9. If the wolf has reach, then instead move to G9.
Standard: Attacking Wolf 1 with Power Attack.
To-hit: [roll0] (+4 if Wolf 2 dropped) (+1 from bless, +1 from haste, -3 from Power Attack.)
Damage: [roll1] magical, good-aligned slashing (+12 from Power Attack.)
Additional Holy Damage if applicable: [roll2]
Mythic Power: Taking an additional standard action with Amazing Initiative.
Standard: Power of Faith. All allies within 30ft of Lanerlei gain a +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, AC and saves against fear as long as they remain within 30ft of her. As a morale bonus, this doesn't stack with bless, the Victory Gambit, or Eclaire's Aegis, but on so many archers I figure the +1 to damage will be useful. This lasts for one minute (10 rounds).

AC 31, TAC 14, FFAC 29, CMD 30, FFCMD 28
HP 102/102 + 17 temp
Channel Energy 8/8, Clarifying Channel 1/1, Divine Bond 1/1, Haste 0/1, Lay on Hands 7/8, Mythic Power 8/9, Smite Evil 1/1

Buffs:
Bless, Haste 10/11, Power of Faith 10/10, Resist Cold

Hjolnai
2015-07-15, 07:41 PM
Tabrak looks quickly to both sides, seeing the endangered archers on one side and the unmoving, injured wolf beside him on the other. Given the positions of the other paladins, it seems it is down to him to defend the wolf.

He slips past the friendly wolf, making his advance without obscuring Davis's line of sight. Then he attacks the hostile wolf near the trolls, lashing out with the butt of his axe.

Tabrak moves to U21, which is well within his movement (60ft from 30 (base)+30 (impossible speed, counts as base) +30 (haste), modified down to 60 total from heavy armour). Using Merciful Blade to make the attack nonlethal without penalty, he attacks Wolf 3 with Improved Vital Strike + Mythic Vital Strike + Power Attack.
Hit: 23 (21 unbuffed + 1 haste + 1 Bless + 3 Divine Favor - 3 Power Attack).
Damage: (1d12+14 unbuffed + 3 Divine Favor + 1 Blade of Mercy + 9 Power Attack)x3 (nonlethal)
Rolls:
Hit roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1] (nonlethal)

If this doesn't take the wolf down, I'll consider spending Mythic Power for a second standard action->Vital Strike through Amazing Initiative.

Frosty
2015-07-16, 12:41 AM
HP (95/95 + 12 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting) -- AC (31)
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless (7 mins), Resist Cold 20 (14 mins), Ironskin (7 mins), Divine Favor (10 rounds), Haste (10 rounds),

The succubus paladin chants one last blessing before she heads over to stand next to Tabrak, protecting his back.

Telepathically, Abigail warns Tabrak. "Sir Tabrak, we should stick close to our wolf friend, both to protect him and to make it harder for us to get surrounded."

Cast Divine Favor. Move to T21.

ylvathrall
2015-07-16, 01:50 AM
The wolf struck by Eclaire drops to the ground almost instantly, collapsing in flames. Two of Davis's arrows sink home as well, and that winter wolf sways on its feet, but remains standing. That changes a moment later as Tabrak drives the butt of his axe between its eyes. The wolf drops to the ground, instantly knocked unconscious.

The third wolf, however, proves more resilient. The archers shoot at it, but many of the shots go wide, and even many of those that hit don't manage to penetrate its hide. Lanerlei's attack is more fruitful, cutting deeply into its flank, but still the wolf refuses to fall. It opens its mouth and exhales a cloud of fog, much like the friendly winter wolf did earlier. This, however, is not a harmless demonstration; the cloud was aimed to flow over the archers, and the chill is beyond anything natural. The wolf then circles around Lanerlei.

Meanwhile, the trolls are not idle. The ice troll which had been shot is back on its feet now, although clearly wounded. This troll steps up and slashes at Abigail with both of its claws, as well as biting at her. The troll which had been standing next to it hurls itself into a lumbering charge at the defector winter wolf, bringing its battleaxe down in a vicious overhand strike. The other axe-wielding troll charges as well, stepping on the unconscious form of the winter wolf without a trace of hesitation as it chops at Abigail. Yet another troll charges forward and reaches out to claw at Tabrak. The remaining trolls move in to fill out their formation.

Area is highlighted in ice blue. All creatures within the area (so 5 archers, one of whom is already wounded and bleeding) take [roll0] points of cold damage and are slowed as the slow spell. A DC 17 Reflex save halves the damage and negates the slow effect.

Bite attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical confirmation: [roll3]
Critical damage: [roll4]

Claw attack 1: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Critical confirmation: [roll7]
Critical damage: [roll8]

Claw attack 2: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Critical confirmation: [roll11]
Critical damage: [roll12]

Battleaxe attack: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Critical confirmation: [roll15]
Critical damage: [roll16]

Claw attack: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18]
Critical confirmation: [roll19]
Critical damage: [roll20]

Attack: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22]
Critical confirmation: [roll23]
Critical damage: [roll24]

Tuvarkz
2015-07-16, 02:24 AM
((Rolling Reflex Saves, in order from left to right and then from top to bottom))
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (Wounded archer)
[roll3]
[roll4]
On success for healthy archers, they remain at 33 hp (21 temporary), otherwise they go down to 22 hp (10 temp)
For the wounded archer, on success he goes to 9 hp, otherwise he faints and goes down to -2.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-16, 02:51 AM
Eclaire crosses amongst her line of archers, shouting "You go down next!", reaching (E;9) and using her Ruby Zenith Strike on the wolf. In the meantime, Davis rushes in a hurry to (C;9), and applies first aid to the bleeding archer before he risks dying. The archers continue their barrage of arrows, shooting towards the Ice troll that is closest to them.

Eclaire activates her Victory Gambit, regaining Elemental Vortex. On reducing the wolf to 0, all her allies gain once more a +5 morale bonus on their next attack.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]
On hit, all the damage gets tripled. 10 points of the +25 are fire damage (As a static bonus, it also gets tripled).
Davis uses Provide First aid on the bleeding soldier (DC 15, away from reach of winter wolf)
Skill check: [roll2]
Archers all fire at Ice troll 2
Attack rolls
1[roll3]
2[roll4]
3[roll5]
4[roll6]
5[roll7]
6[roll8]
7[roll9]
8[roll10]
9[roll11]
10[roll12]
11[roll13]
12[roll14]
13[roll15]
14[roll16]
15[roll17]
16[roll18]
17[roll19]
18[roll20]
19[roll21]
20[roll22]
Damage rolls
1[roll23]
2[roll24]
3[roll25]
4[roll26]
5[roll27]
6[roll28]
7[roll29]
8[roll30]
9[roll31]
10[roll32]
11[roll33]
12[roll34]
13[roll35]
14[roll36]
15[roll37]
16[roll38]
17[roll39]
18[roll40]
19[roll41]
20[roll42]

Llyarden
2015-07-16, 03:56 AM
The field of light that had surrounded Lanerlei pulses in a healing warmth before she turns on her heel as Eclaire arrives and hacks into the wolf, heading down to join Abigail, Tabrak and the friendly wolf, holding her glaive in a defensive stance, using its superior reach to hopefully deflect any further attacks against it - or herself.

I'm just...gonna assume that Wolf 1 is dead after that.

Standard: Channel Positive Energy, healing [roll0] and negating bleed (unless it's some weird and wibbly bleed). She'll Selectively ignore the wolves, so this heals all the archers, Eclaire, and Lanerlei herself (not that most of them need it.)
Move: Down to O16, taking her Power of Faith with her, so it now affects Davis and the friendly wolf.
She'll be ready to use Sudden Block to defend the friendly wolf.
HP 102/102 + 17 temp
Channel Energy 7/8, Clarifying Channel 1/1, Divine Bond 1/1, Haste 0/1, Lay on Hands 7/8, Mythic Power 8/9, Smite Evil 1/1

Buffs:
Bless, Haste 9/11, Power of Faith 9/10, Resist Cold

Hjolnai
2015-07-16, 05:02 AM
The sharp claws of the troll glance from Tabrak's superb armour with no effect.

Tabrak spares Abigail a glance, having heard her telepathic voice for a second time (the first a warning of a potential trap, when speaking with the wolf).
"Understood. Let's go!"

He then moves swiftly, opening himself to strikes from the trolls in return for taking a place near the friendly wolf. This time, he strikes with the head of the axe, clearly intended to cut the closest ice troll down to size - after all, it can recover from such grievous wounds.

(If the troll is still standing)
The troll stubbornly refuses to fall, but Tabrak falls back on the same unnatural speed which has characterised his every action since arriving in the region; another devastating strike soon follows.

(If the troll fell)
Having slowed the threat for now, Tabrak turns to heal the injured Winter Wolf - best to keep allies on their feet.

Sorry, but a lot of this post covers possible actions for different cases. I'd rather do it this way than have to post several times for one turn.

If the Sudden Block bonus attack is given to Tabrak, power attack still applies since it is before his next turn. Attack roll:
(attack) [roll0]
(damage) [roll1] (lethal)

Tabrak moves to R18, provoking AOO from trolls 4, 5, 2 (I believe).
Improved Vital Strike on troll 2:
(attack) [roll2]
(damage)[roll3] (lethal)

Spend 1 Mythic Power on Amazing Initiative: Additional Standard action. Two possible uses:
If the troll is still standing:
Improved Vital Strike
(attack) [roll4]
(damage)[roll5] (lethal)

If the troll was downed by the first hit:
Lay On Hands on the friendly wolf
Healing: [roll6]

Edit: Sorry, made a mistake on the movement location. I previously wrote it as R17; fixed now to R18.

Frosty
2015-07-17, 03:08 AM
HP (95/95 + 12 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/13R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting, +1 vs Fear) -- AC (31) -- DR 5/Epic
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless (7 mins), Resist Cold 20 (14 mins), Ironskin (7 mins), Divine Favor (9 rounds), Haste (9 rounds), Divine Bond active

The trolls' attacks bounce off of Abigail's newly-acquired metallic skin, showing the futility of the trolls' primitive assault! Abigail could hear the archers being battered by the cold breath, and winces. However, she knows that the best thing she can do to keep them safe is to keep the trolls occupied. Now that Tabrak has retreated to a slightly safer location, the succubus attempts to take the brunt of the attacks onto herself. "Attention ice trolls, either run, or be destroyed. You are so weak you cannot HOPE to hurt me! My flames are the CLEANSING flame that will remove your evil taint!"

"Sir Tabrak, keep up your attacks. I'll get their attention." With that, she steps over the fallen ice troll closest to the wolf friend, stands next to the allied wolf, and concentrates on her scimitar. It glows, and then BURSTS into flame!

Move to O-18.
Activate Divine Bond to increase enhancement by an additional +1, and to give it Flaming. It is now a +2 Flaming Merciful scimitar.

ylvathrall
2015-07-17, 05:02 AM
For whatever reason, those archers closer to the wolf fare better in the blast of cold air. The two who were further away, and seemed as though they should be safer, are actually more brutally affected, unable to avoid the worst of the cold. Their trials are not over, though; the air in the area remains bitterly cold, almost as much so as when the wolf first breathed out into the space. Even just moving through the space, Eclaire can feel the chill in the air.

This proves worth it, however, when her sword comes down on the next winter wolf. Again, the creature drops to the ground in flames after a single blow.

Davis is unable to staunch the wounded soldier's bleeding, but Lanerlei's magic is more effective. The aasimar then moves down to stand beside the wolf, ready to protect it against the trolls.

Tabrak's return swing cuts into the troll's flesh, but fails to put it down. Almost before he can move, the wound is already closing. Several of the trolls then swat at him as he moves to stand beside the wolf, chopping deeply into it. This time his axe is enough to drop the creature to the ground, and he turns his attentions to the wolf, bathing it in healing magic.

The trolls then respond, seeming distinctly unamused with how this situation has gone. Several of them charge at Abigail and Tabrak, clawing wildly at them. They step on and completely cover the body of their downed comrade without seeming to care at all.

All characters within or passing through the area of the breath weapon (so the archers, Eclaire, and Davis) take [roll0] points of cold damage, no save.

Battleaxe: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical confirmation: [roll3]
Critical damage: [roll4]

Bite: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Critical confirmation: [roll7]
Critical damage: [roll8]

Bite: [roll9]
Critical damage: [roll12]

Bite attack: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Critical confirmation: [roll15]
Critical damage: [roll16]

Bite attack: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18]
Critical confirmation: [roll19]
Critical damage: [roll20]

Bite attack: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22]
Critical confirmation: [roll23]
Critical damage: [roll24]

Hjolnai
2015-07-17, 06:05 AM
With trolls closing in from all sides, Tabrak abandons his previous precision in favour of more numerous attacks. Mightily he smites at the closest troll, before striking at the next with somewhat less fury.

Swift: Smite Evil on Troll 6. For these attacks, he chooses not to use the nonlethal option.
Full attack: 4 attacks, 2 at full BAB (Haste). Hit Troll 6 until it falls, then Troll 4. If any attacks are left (unlikely), hit Troll 6 again to make it take longer to get up again. Using power attack.

I've included the Smite Evil bonuses in the first attack, but not the others in case they're against Troll 4. Smite Evil attacks also bypass any DR.
Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1] (Lethal)

Attack 2
[roll2] (+4 if still on Troll 6)
Damage
[roll3] (+11 if still on Troll 6)

Attack 3
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

Attack 4
[roll6]
Damage
[roll7]

Edit: Just a quick note: all these attacks are for lethal damage, not just the ones under Smite.

Llyarden
2015-07-17, 06:25 AM
"Abigail, duck!" Lanerlei called, stepping up behind the succubus and swiping at the closest troll time and again with her glaive, hoping to give Abigail, and the friendly wolf, a bit of breathing space.

5ft-step forwards into O17. Lanerlei, Abigail, Tabrak and the friendly wolf are now all subject to Power of Faith.
Full-round Action: Full attacking Ice Troll 3 with Power Attack.
Attack 1 To-hit: [roll0] (+5 from Victory Gambit, +1 from haste, -3 from Power Attack)
Attack 1 Damage: [roll1] (+12 from Power Attack, +1 from Power of Faith)

Attack 2 To-hit: [roll2] (+1 from bless, +1 from haste, -3 from Power Attack)
Attack 2 Damage: [roll3] (+12 from Power Attack, +1 from Power of Faith)

Attack 3 To-hit: [roll4] (+1 from bless, +1 from haste, -3 from Power Attack, -5 from iterative attack)
Attack 3 Damage: [roll5] (+12 from Power Attack, +1 from Power of Faith)

Attack 4 To-hit: [roll6] (+1 from bless, +1 from haste, -3 from Power Attack, -10 from iterative attack)
Attack 4 Damage: [roll7] (+12 from Power Attack, +1 from Power of Faith)

All attacks are good-aligned, magical slashing damage.

Lanerlei will remain ready to use Sudden Block as necessary to defend the friendly wolf, Abigail or herself, in that order of priority.

HP 102/102 + 17 temp
Channel Energy 7/8, Clarifying Channel 1/1, Divine Bond 1/1, Haste 0/1, Lay on Hands 7/8, Mythic Power 8/9, Smite Evil 1/1

Buffs:
Bless, Haste 8/11, Power of Faith 8/10, Resist Cold

Tuvarkz
2015-07-17, 06:48 AM
Eclaire and Davis notice the lingering cold, but Abigail's magic wards them from any actual harm ((OOC: They still have the communal resist energy 20)). Noticing her men are exposed to it, she shouts "Pull back! We can handle the rest!" and the archers move back and hide amongst the trees. With a clear sight to the enemy forces, Eclaire readies her blade and charges the troll that is attempting to flank her companions with brutal momentum (moving to T; 15), while Davis unleashes a holy barrage on the closest troll to where he is, taking a five foot step before shooting (D;9).

Archers withdraw from battle. Except for the one that got hurt by the wolf (at 11 hp after the healing), most remained shielded by the temporary hit points provided through the entire ordeal.
Eclaire swift action: Noble Blade, Charge of the Battle Cat on Ice Troll 5 as full action (still under the effects of haste, so at 60 feet she can charge up to 120 feet)(On hit, Reflex save DC 21 or be knocked prone)
Attack: [roll0] (+23; +2 from Charge, +1 from Haste, +5 from Victory Gambit morale, +5 Insight from Noble Blade)
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]
Davis full round action: Full Attack on Ice Troll 3(+15/+10 baseline, one more attack from Haste, 2 more attacks from Mythic Rapid shot, taking -2 penalty from it, +1 from Haste, +1 morale from Bless, +1 competence from Eye of the Eagle. First attack takes a +5 from Victory Gambit)
Attack rolls:
1[roll3]
2[roll4]
3[roll5]
4[roll6]
5[roll7]
Damage rolls:
1[roll8]
2[roll9]
3[roll10]
4[roll11]
5[roll12]
((OoC note: Should really take the Always a chance path ability, Eclaire can easily stack up her attack rolls real high))

Frosty
2015-07-17, 01:16 PM
Abigail: [Mythic Power 8/9] [LoH 9/11 5d6+10] [Smite Evil 3/4]
HP (95/95 + 12 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/14R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting, +1 vs Fear) -- AC (32) -- DR 5/Epic
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless (7 mins), Resist Cold 20 (14 mins), Ironskin (7 mins), Divine Favor (8 rounds), Haste (8 rounds), Divine Bond (+1 Flaming),
Power of Faith (+1 AC, hit, dam)

Ducking to let the aasimar get a clean shot at the troll in front of her (who likely crumples), Abigail says, "Dont worry about me, Lanerlei. These poor souls cannot hurt me. They are only good for assaulting helpless merchants."

Seeing Tabrak also likely destroy the enemy in front of him, the succubus moves over to the next surviving troll, and finally makes her first attack! One mighty stroke comes down hard at the ice troll's neck, knowing that she can't kill it because of her merciful weapon.

Move to S18. Laugh at any AoOs that don't roll a natural 20.
Swift action smite evil on Troll 4. I think she only gets +8 and not +10 damage on each attack because of the negative levels yes?
Mythic Vital Strike on Troll 4. (16 base, -2 Neg Lv, -3 PA, +6 Smite, +1 Bless, +1 Haste, +3 Divine Favor, +1 Divine Bond) [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage breakout before Vital Strike (1d6+6+1d6 all non-lethal base, +9 PA, +8 Smite, +3 Divine Favor, +1 Power of Faith, +1 and +1d6 (fire) Divine Bond) = (1d6+28+1d6) Non-lethal + (1d6) fire
Final non-fire damage roll without crit: [roll2]
Fire damage: [roll3] multiplied by 1.5 for vulnerability

If crit, add this damage: [roll4]

ylvathrall
2015-07-17, 04:15 PM
Tabrak cuts at the troll viciously, chopping into its body. It remains on its feet, although his second attack brings it down. He then cuts at another troll, wounding it but not sufficiently to remove it for the fight, before missing in his final strike.

Lanerlei swings at another troll in a frenzy. It's swaying on its feet after a single attack, and completely down at the second, but she continues to hack and cut at it, wounding the creature grievously.

Eclaire charges at another of the trolls, slashing deeply into it. It remains standing, however. Davis's shots are more successful, with two arrows plunging into the body of the troll that Lanerlei brought down. The wounds are already healing, but it seems that this troll will not be getting up in the near future.

Some of the trolls swat at Abigail as she moves to attack the next one, but their attacks go far wide. Her return stroke is more accurate, sending the troll to the ground and scorching it badly.

The two trolls still standing then throw themselves at you in a frenzy, one targeting Eclaire while the other aims for Abigail.

Claw 1: [roll0]
Critical confirmation: [roll2]
Critical damage: [roll]1d4+4[roll]

Claw 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Critical confirmation: [roll5]

Bite: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Critical confirmation: [roll8]
Critical damage: [roll]1d6+4[roll]

Claw 1: [roll9]

Claw 2: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Critical confirmation: [roll14]

Bite: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16]
Critical confirmation: [roll17]
Critical damage: [roll]1d6+4[roll]

Trolls still active: 1, 5. Not changing color for the others since I don't think that any of them are actually dead or dying at this time.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-17, 04:23 PM
((First and last attack miss against Eclaire, who has 14-2+1 AC=13))
Eclaire notices that the troll's second claw might actually hit her, and attempts to parry and riposte the strike with her blade.

Scarlet Riposte counter activated. Opposed Sense Motive roll against attack with +4 Competence bonus, on success counterattack at full BAB with +3d6 extra damage
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll [roll2]

Llyarden
2015-07-17, 04:28 PM
With a nod of acknowledgement to Abigail, Lanerlei stepped past the wolf, still holding her glaive in a defensive posture, ready to strike out at any of the remaining foes that got within her reach.

Move: To Q18.
Standard: Ready an action to attack (with Power Attack) as soon as a conscious enemy is within reach of Lanerlei.
Remain ready to Sudden Block to defend friend wolf (and only him) if necessary.

HP 102/102 + 17 temp

Buffs:
Bless, Haste 7/11, Power of Faith 7/10, Resist Cold

Hjolnai
2015-07-17, 10:51 PM
Tabrak advances on the still-standing trolls, once more opting for precision over speed as he strikes. The back of the axe head moves with tremendous force.

Move to T18, provoking AOO if either of the trolls has reach. Vital Strike on troll 1. Non-lethal attack, using Blade of Mercy trait to avoid the penalty and gain +1 damage.
Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1] (nonlethal)

Tuvarkz
2015-07-18, 01:34 AM
Eclaire once more fills her blade with powerful elemental energy before striking once more at her enemy. She then takes a step back, moving to [S;16]. Davis moves to (P;9) and, unleashes a sacred-energy charged arrow at the troll that remains closest to him.

Eclaire uses Elemental Vortex (8d6 fire damage, on hit Reflex 20 or catch on fire for 2d4 rounds and be sickened while on fire) strike on Ice Troll 5 and takes a 5-foot step after that. Should she reduce the troll to 0 or less, she triggers her Victorious Recovery feat (Once per encounter, as free action, recover 3 maneuvers after reducing enemy to 0 hp or less).
Attack roll [roll0]
Physical Damage [roll1]
Fire Damage [roll2]
Davis moves, and uses Sacred Pinions (5d6 extra sacred damage-Sacred damage deals 50% extra to evil-aligned enemies-Hits incorporeal target, and if possessed, possessing creature takes all damage) on Ice Troll 1, or Ice Troll 5 if the latter is still alive.
Attack roll [roll3]
Good aligned Damage [roll4]
Sacred Damage [roll5]

Frosty
2015-07-18, 04:23 AM
HP (95/95 + 12 TEMP) -- Saves (17F/14R/12W +3 vs mind-affecting, +1 vs Fear) -- AC (32) -- DR 5/Epic
Conditions: 2 Negative levels, Bless (7 mins), Resist Cold 20 (14 mins),
Ironskin (7 mins), Divine Favor (7 rounds), Haste (7 rounds), Divine Bond (+1 Flaming),
Power of Faith (+1 AC, hit, dam)

Abigail will move to the back of a remaining enemy (if any), and strike to lay it low. Knowing her scimitar cannot kill with the enchantments active, she does not hold back.

Move to flank any remaining enemy.
Mythic Vital Strike the enemy. (16 base, -2 Neg Lv, -3 PA, +1 Bless, +1 Haste, +3 Divine Favor, +1 Divine Bond) [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]
Damage breakout before Vital Strike (1d6+6+1d6 all non-lethal base, +9 PA, +3 Divine Favor, +1 Power of Faith, +1 and +1d6 (fire) Divine Bond) = (1d6+20+1d6) Non-lethal + (1d6) fire
Final non-fire damage roll without crit: [roll2]
Fire damage: [roll3] multiplied by 1.5 for vulnerability

If crit, add this damage: [roll4]

CRIT CONFIRMED

ylvathrall
2015-07-18, 03:47 PM
Eclaire cuts the least-damaged troll almost in half and leaves it gutted and burning on the ground, while Tabrak knocks another one unconscious. One of those which had previously been put down starts to rise again, but Lanerlei reaches out and smacks it casually back down. Meanwhile, Abigail stalks around, ready to deliver a truly devastating strike to anything still fighting...but sadly it seems that all of your enemies are already down. One of the trolls and two of the winter wolves are actually dead, while the rest are unconscious.

The winter wolf who had accompanied you paces forward and sniffs at one of the bodies, then settles back into a sort of sitting position and stares at the scene. The mountain troll rumbles another incomprehensible statement.

All enemies are incapacitated. Note that the encounter is not over for the purpose of any abilities which are timed by the encounter.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-18, 04:11 PM
As the fighting ends, Davis carefully approaches the scene and picks up his arrows, thankful that their high durability makes them useable once more. In the meantime, Eclaire turns to their wolf ally, and asks: "I'd like you to relay a message to the mountain troll if you would. Tell him I apologize for bringing violence to his home, but it was a necessary action, and please ask him whether he wishes to provide shelter to his still alive cousins or not. Of course, the shelter is conditional on the ice trolls being forbidden from attacking civilians again. Apart from the message, do you wish for your own last living cousin to be spared? Similarly, the same condition would apply."

Llyarden
2015-07-18, 04:25 PM
"If you can explain it to him," Lanerlei said to the wolf, pulling a ring from her finger and resting the pommel of her glaive on the ground once more as the magical glow faded from around her, "this would allow him to communicate with us as long as he wore it. You have my vow that there is nothing malicious about it."

ylvathrall
2015-07-19, 01:16 AM
The winter wolf says something in Giant, then turns to look at you. "I tried to explain what you said to him," it says. "We'll see if he gets it. About my cousin...I don't know. I want to think she could move on, but I'm not sure she can. You have to understand, Irrisen is...it's like a poison. Or a disease. It just taints everything." The wolf sighs and shakes its head. "I don't know what to do. Let me try and get him to take the ring."

The wolf delicately takes the ring in its mouth and jogs over to the ravine as the mountain troll replies.

My assumption is that you will keep smacking the trolls down without killing them if they start to wake up. Let me know if this is incorrect.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 01:47 AM
"I understand. It needs to be done." Eclaire nods, her face taking a solemn sight to it, and just by saying "Davis!" the ranger approaches and pushes the fainted wolf around, exposing her head for a clean cut. Approaching the fainted beast, the knight raises her blade, and she starts making prayers to Al'Asadriel, Damerrich and Ragathiel.

Hjolnai
2015-07-19, 02:11 AM
"Stop!"

Tabrak steps forward.

"You would kill a helpless foe, without offering a chance of parole? This is hardly the honourable course."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 02:28 AM
"Had it been just a foe? I wouldn't have considered doing this. However, not only have we been told that Irrisen seems to have a corrupting influence on its inhabitants; but this foe was acting as a soldier in an attempt to declare war, attacking unarmed civilians unannounced. Can you guarantee that this foe won't go back to Irrisen and give whatever information she has gathered, or that she won't attack civilians again, or that she won't bolster the enemy's ranks? Can you guarantee me that her mind isn't twisted beyond redemption? I also have to account to take the actions that won't endanger my men needlessly in the war that will soon happen.
Furthermore, an execution while she is unconscious is first of all merciful as in she won't have to go through the fear before her death; and should she break her restraints, others could be at risk. I don't take an execution lightly."

Hjolnai
2015-07-19, 03:05 AM
"Irrisen corrupts, as you said. Thus what chance has she had for redemption, before now? Who could have taught her a better way? She was a soldier in a war of aggression, yes. But the fault for that lies at the hand of the Queen, and I doubt she has any mercy for those who show signs of remorse or who fail to obey. If you would kill all her servants, Irrisen will be left as no more than a vast grave. This is the first, perhaps the only chance for this one to change. And for guarantees... I can give you those. I can place a geas, commanding her to leave these lands and not return. I could do the same for the trolls, though they are more likely to choose death instead; I'll not take that choice away."

Tabrak pauses, striking yet again at a downed troll.

"I was born in a war camp. If not for the mercy of others, I would not stand here today; I will not betray them by failing to offer the same chance in turn."

Frosty
2015-07-19, 03:35 AM
The succubus seems...uncomfortable with the conversation. "I...umm...I thik we need to at least try. Conversion and redemption is a...long and tricky process. Take it from me, you need time. I...I want to try to convert them, but our top priority is the protection of innocents. If there's any way we can keep them contained, I say we have a DUTY to try to convert. Sometimes even the most corrupt at first glance has a chance to...turn around. Perhaps some nearby city will have facilities capable of holding them?"

In response To Tabrak, Abigail says, "Even if you convince the trolls to leave, if they are still evil, then would they not be harming others?"

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 04:09 AM
"First of all, such a condition could just make the winter wolf kill elsewhere, and placing a permanent compulsion spell on an intelligent being isn't exactly merciful solution. We gave them the chance when we announced our intention yesterday and left before violence sparked. One of them decided to confess their crimes, and thus will be spared. Today, did any of the rest decide to surrender?
And in regards to Irrisen, of course I would not kill them all. The queen of Irrisen is certainly the mastermind in all this. Dedicating resources for a full culling would be wasteful and useless. And that could also potentially trigger Baba Yaga's wrath, which is most certainly something we don't want to do at all."
Eclaire turns to Abigail, and speaks: "I don't think there is anywhere near enough steel or iron to craft cages strong enough for all of them, and even then, in the process of caging them one of them could flail about or temporarily break his bonds and hurt one of my men. I would rather not risk men I know to be good at heart for creatures who we don't know about."

Llyarden
2015-07-19, 04:11 AM
"If Irrisen is a corrupting influence upon them, perhaps time away from it would allow them to return to peaceful ways," Lanerlei pointed out. "Amongst your men, do you have anyone capable of reading the thoughts of these? Perhaps we could see what exactly has been done to them."

More quietly, she muttered to herself. "All things that live love beauty, and I will show beauty's answer to them."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 04:24 AM
"Besides their basic cantrips, my magi followers only know the most basic combat spells, and I don't think it suits Derfel's domain either."

Hjolnai
2015-07-19, 04:30 AM
Tabrak nods at Lanerlei's words on the influence of Irrisen.

"I do not suggest that we free them incautiously, but only that we offer them a chance. I'll not place a compulsion upon them unless they accept it voluntarily - and those who do, will be those who would accept our suggestions anyway; the geas merely prevents them from slipping so easily, such that when at last it runs its course they will have learned a better way and no longer need it. Thus, here is my proposition: We offer each individually the choice: a clean death, for those who dare not seek a better life; or an oath to improve, backed by the geas. Those who accept can certainly be persuaded to travel somewhere where they will do little harm - perhaps the Worldwound, where there are acceptable targets for their violent tendencies."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 05:13 AM
"However, do you suppose that those who don't accept the geas will just offer their neck to the sword?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-19, 05:21 AM
As this whole interplay is going on, you can hear a conversation going on in that grumbling language. It's a quiet conversation, to the extent that any conversation involving a thirty-foot tall troll can be quiet, which means you can hear it from where you're standing.

After several seconds of this, the wolf apparently gets the idea across to the troll, because he starts to speak in a different language. He makes a few false starts before settling on Common.

"Why you have sword?" the troll asks. "Fight is over. You win. You not need sword now."

You detect a faint evil aura from each of the unconscious creatures. You do not detect an evil aura from the wolf which defected. The mountain troll is out of range.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-19, 06:28 AM
Considering that the mountain troll remains technically the ruler of the place, Eclaire sheathes her sword, and turning to him, says: "We wanted to know whether you can make sure your fellows won't attack people again or not. What they did wasn't something we can just forgive that lightly; so we were still deciding what to do with them."

Frosty
2015-07-19, 01:21 PM
"If Irrisen is a corrupting influence upon them, perhaps time away from it would allow them to return to peaceful ways," Lanerlei pointed out. "Amongst your men, do you have anyone capable of reading the thoughts of these? Perhaps we could see what exactly has been done to them."

More quietly, she muttered to herself. "All things that live love beauty, and I will show beauty's answer to them."

"Besides their basic cantrips, my magi followers only know the most basic combat spells, and I don't think it suits Derfel's domain either."
The succubus looks a bit uncomfortable at Lanerlei's suggestion. "Well, Sarenrae has deemed it fit to allow me to spend my magical energies to...read the thoughts of others. I can only cast this spell once per day however. I think since we are trying to protect people and redeem evil it is...acceptable to read the thoughts of others. Generally I stay away from it however."

At the mountain troll's question, Abigail immediately sheaths her sword. "We just want to prevent these trolls and wolves from hurting others. Nothing more. We are not your enemies."

ylvathrall
2015-07-19, 05:59 PM
"What you saying?" the mountain troll asks. "I not understand. Why is problem? Fight is over."

Meanwhile, the winter wolf moves back to where you're standing. "Use little words," it says quietly. "He's not that good with the big ones, if you get my drift."

Hjolnai
2015-07-19, 10:04 PM
Tabrak keeps his axe low and unthreatening as he addresses the mountain troll. He points at the defeated foes.

"They attacked traders, made war. We want to stop them doing it again."

He pauses, working out how to shorten the words of his next sentence.

"We were... talking about... how to do that, if we need to kill them or if we can spare them without them attacking people again."

Llyarden
2015-07-20, 03:43 AM
"If their minds have been twisted by the Irrisen power, then your abilities would allow us to discover whether they are under some kind of enchantment or whether they have merely been lured with propoganda and honeyed words. The former would be...easier to deal with."

To the mountain troll, she said "If we leave now, most of them will get back up. And they will do exactly what they have done before, and bring more warriors and more fights to your home. How would you suggest we avoid that?" She was...not exactly good at the 'use little words' thing.

ylvathrall
2015-07-20, 04:51 AM
The mountain troll considers this for a few seconds. Some of the ideas you brought up are obviously giving him trouble, but he seems to be genuinely trying to work through the meaning.

Eventually, he nods. Even that motion is so exaggerated by his sheer size that it's easy to see, even at a distance. "Is problem," he agrees. "When I want to not fight I growl and things go away. That works good. But maybe not so good when you are not troll."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-20, 05:15 AM
Nodding at the mountain troll and gesturing with her hands to explain the situation, she says: "We only have few strong, but most are weak. When we fight war, the strong fight the strong." She decides to simplify concepts and omit that not all trained soldiers are equally strong, but would rather not confuse the mountain troll with more complicated stuff, and that while villages get raided, it's seen as dishonorable and immoral. "They want war, and they attacked the weak ones. When our strong kill our weak, they get killed by our other strong. I want to know if you can make them stop attacking us in the future."

Frosty
2015-07-20, 11:09 AM
Abigail feels the others are already making good points, and lets them take the lead. She hangs back and converses with the wolf mentally. "Your...cousins...would you want them to be brought back to life? If they return, could you now talk them into nonviolence, given what they've faced?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-21, 01:05 AM
The troll seems confused at Eclaire's words. "You won," he says. "Why would they attack you again? They would lose. Is stupid to attack people stronger than you. Is why no one attacks me." He then nods slowly. "I tell them attacking you is like attacking me. Then they know it is stupid."

Meanwhile, the winter wolf is sitting near Abigail. "I want them to be alive," it replies, looking over the scene miserably. "But I know things can't go back to the way they were. And I don't think I could convince them of anything now. I'm not good with words, and then I left them." It then looks at the paladin with something approaching hope. "Maybe you could explain to them. You're good at talking."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-21, 01:32 AM
Eclaire decides that while the message didn't entirely go through, with the mountain troll guaranteeing his cousins won't cause problems anymore, the issue has been fundamentally solved. In the meantime, she considers ordering her men to retrieve the wolves' corpses. While one of them was set on fire by her attack, some of the fur and hide should still be salvageable and probably able to sell well enough to both resupply and give her followers some coin for them to spend.

Frosty
2015-07-21, 10:14 AM
"Friend wolf, what are you planning on doing? Taking your cousins and going away elsewhere? That's even assuming I can talk them down. If I can't, we have to kill them...again."

Abigail uses her mind to speak to the others, informing them of her intentions to possibly raise the dead wolves and try diplomacy again now that they have had a show of strength. "Our friend wolf would really like it if this can work out. I told him I can try, but I might have to kill them again if they don't agree to back down."

Llyarden
2015-07-22, 10:14 AM
If their minds have been poisoned by magic, no amount of talking will help them. But we have to try, just on the possibility that they did not do this of their own volition entirely. "Do any of them speak Common?" This latter was out loud and addressed to the friendly wolf.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-22, 10:26 AM
Actually, I was considering having my men carry their corpses back to camp. Their hide could either be used for cold-resistant cloaks or jerkins; or sold for a considerable amount of coin. Could afford to give my men a nice feast and some coin for their efforts. Not entirely sure if the meat could be used for emergency rations, though. While knowing that her idea is not going to gather much support, it's pragmatical, and the knight is most certainly not one to let resources go to waste.

Frosty
2015-07-22, 12:35 PM
"And what kind of signal would that send to our friend wolf here if we start eating his cousins and wearing them as cloaks? Even if we are not bringing them back to life for a chance at redemption, we are going to at least give them a proper burial and show respect how we can. These are not unintelligent animals we are talking about here, but sentient beings. Evil, true, but so was I in the past. And I'd be upset if I see people wearing succubi skin.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-22, 01:41 PM
"First of all, to respect the dead is to make sure their deaths weren't in vain, and thus we take the most by obtaining something of worth from them. Secondly, it's known that dragon scales, hide and bone have powerful properties and legends more than once have spoken of heroes wielding gear made from them and I don't see how this is any different. Thirdly, there's a double pronged reason why people don't wear skin from fiends in general. To begin with, most of the time we face summoned and not called fiends, which means they get sent back to their home plane when they get defeated. In addition, when a fiend is truly slain and leaves a corpse, there's no certainty that wearing something made from them will not corrupt the user, or if it is possible to purge said corrupting property without destroying the remains. And lastly, I was planning on giving a proper funeral pyre to the remains that weren't to be used."

ylvathrall
2015-07-22, 04:41 PM
"I don't know," the winter wolf says. "I mean, there really isn't anywhere for me to go, is there?"

It then looks at Lanerlei, seeming a bit startled at the question. "Well...yes, we all speak common. Except the trolls, but one language is hard enough for them."

Hjolnai
2015-07-22, 05:13 PM
Those who wear dragonhide must expect a fight every time they encounter a dragon. We are not looking to slaughter the entire population of Irrisen, and wearing the skins of their comrades will badly hinder any diplomatic solution. Besides, if an Irrisen army flayed and devoured human corpses after a minor victory, using their skins for shield leather and their bones for trophies, we would consider that great savagery. How is the reverse any different?

Tabrak addresses the wolf.

"There are many lands in this world, some far from the grasp of Irrisen. I am sure that several of them would accept your presence graciously, without trying to conscript you - perhaps we should find a suitable map."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-22, 06:04 PM
One can normally already expect a fight whenever meeting a dragon. And some of them already eat humans, which means they probably would understand the reverse situation happening. Regardless, I see there is no going forward with this conversation. Do you all know the way back to the camp?
Eclaire contains a sigh of frustration. For one moment the idea of eating dragon meat crosses her mind, and makes a note to start carrying some cloth bundles just in case. Perhaps she wouldn't be able to harvest the entire dragon with the three paladins there, but she should manage to sneak in enough for Davis to cook it for her.

Frosty
2015-07-23, 01:21 AM
The succubus addresses the wolf verbally, "Well, assuming we could convince your cousins to stop hurting people and go live elsewhere, and assuming they don't want you around anymore...how about you come with us? We could use someone who knows the land, and you'd be helping save many lives. Also, being with us might be the safest place if an all out war does erupt, and winter wolves start being hunted."

She looks at the unconscious wolf. "How about we take your cousins back to our camp, and we'll first try to talk some sense into the one that's still alive. If successful, I'll raise one of the dead ones. Sound good?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-23, 03:22 AM
"Maybe," the wolf says doubtfully to Tabrak. "I don't know of anywhere like that...but I don't know much about geography. I guess there might be somewhere like that."

To Abigail, it says, "I suppose that might work. I don't really know how much help I'd be, but I could try, at least until I figure out where to go next."

Meanwhile, the mountain troll speaks up again. "You are going?" it asks. "You take ring."

Frosty
2015-07-24, 12:38 AM
"I think you can help, friend. And we've GOT to get you a name. I don't want to keep calling you winter wolf. You must somehow can distinguish between one wolf and another? Mind you we can't read Smell. Anyways, you can help because you can be a diplomatic bridge. Just by having you on our side the Irrisen may be less willing to attack. That time might be enough to attempt some diplomacy. Shall we start dragging your cousins back to our camp?"

Tuvarkz
2015-07-24, 01:46 AM
"That's unlikely. If they had sent troops with actual value to the main army, they would have sent them to take a fort by surprise and take a hold on part of the territory they wish to invade. You might have just been sent as a suicide strike while...Well, seems Irrisen's commander just had a stroke of back luck." As Eclaire finishes speaking, she communicates through the mental link. Don't bring the wolf corpses into the camp. I will not punish any of my men if they do anything to them, since they will assume that's why they are being brought there, and they will probably not like your decision. The knight then walks off with Davis, and as she enters the forest, shouts to her men, who likely have missed the entire discussion: "Gentlemen, we are going back to camp! The paladins still need to do something back at the ravine, so they will follow us shortly."

Llyarden
2015-07-24, 04:22 AM
"Thank you for your assistance and insight," Lanerlei said politely to the troll. "We should at the least move the corpses out of his home before bringing them back," she added more quietly. "If they try to fight a second time I would rather not bring a second battle here."

ylvathrall
2015-07-24, 06:48 AM
"I don't understand," the winter wolf says to Abigail. "Why would I call a wolf something other than a wolf? That's just silly. And why would I need to call them things to tell them apart?" It shakes its head, clearly perplexed by the whole line of discussion.

"Anyway, we should probably get moving. The big guy seems like he's about ready to have his lair back to himself, and I for one don't want to argue with him." It then moves over and closes its jaws around one of the dead wolves, gripping it by the nape of the neck and dragging it towards the path back towards the camp.

Llyarden
2015-07-24, 07:05 AM
"Well, how would an alpha wolf direct a pack of a dozen other wolves, then?" Lanerlei asked. "If it wanted to tell two of the dozen wolves to go in a specific direction, how would it make sure everyone knew it was those two and not any of the others?"

Regardless of the discussion regarding names or lack thereof, and after retrieving her ring from the troll (thanking it one last time before it lost its comprehension of Common), Lanerlei looked at the wolf bodies and followed the friendly wolf's example, grabbing one of the dead wolves by the scruff of its neck (somewhat awkwardly given her glaive) and dragging it out of the troll's lair.

Frosty
2015-07-24, 10:02 AM
Abigail waves goodbye to the troll, and drags the last wolf (he unconscious wolf) behind her. "Come on, we will drag them outside of camp. Close enough to help in case of an attack, but far enough to give a warning in case evil wolves try to escape and run into camp to kill people. I have to rest an hour before I even attempt to raise anyone. That'll be enough time to talk to the unconscious wolf first. See? If I have to talk of you to other people, we now have to add defining words like "friendly wolf" and such, mostly because humans can't tell wolves apart. Humans can't even tell all humans apart. Especially if they can't see them."

ylvathrall
2015-07-25, 05:03 AM
One of the ice trolls stands as you carry the winter wolves away. It seems for a moment that it will initiate violence again, but a moment's thought convinces it that this isn't the wisest decision. A warning growl from the mountain troll settles the matter.

"I don't understand," the winter wolf says, its voice somewhat muffled by the mouthful of fur. "You can shay what you mean. Imf arpha wants shome wolves to go, he tellsh them sho. Wha's the problem?"

Those of you choosing to remain outside of the camp stop at about where you met the winter wolf earlier, where it has established a small den of sorts. There's no fire, for obvious reasons, but the small glen is sheltered from the worst of the wind by a large boulder, making the area reasonably comfortable.

It took you a couple of hours to make your way back while carrying and dragging the winter wolves, and it is now edging on towards noon. The friendly wolf drops its burden and flops down in the snow, panting; clearly, hauling the corpse so far was taxing to its strength.

The unconscious wolf does not stir or wake during this trip (assuming that you do not heal her).

Having arrived back at camp, the soldiers go to get some food and rest, as well as bandages for the injured man. Olaf and his wife are sitting by the fire, eating what appears to be more stew.

The mood of the camp is tense, and a little grim. Gossip runs through any encampment with a speed that leaves official news gasping in the dust, and by now there probably isn't anyone in the entire camp who hasn't heard at least three version of Eclaire's speech that morning. Enough of the soldiers have heard stories about Irrisen to impress upon everyone how serious the situation is.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-25, 07:04 AM
As she arrives to camp, noticing the gossiping, Eclaire immediately summons her council into her tent, composed of herself, Davis, Lance, Alan, Derfel, John, Eins, plus one representative for the artisans and two for the archers. The knight explains how Irrisen is going to launch an invasion on the lands of the Linnorm, followed by her plans to help the Linnorm defend against the first wave of invaders, and from there, as she explains the victory conditions being either:
a)Eliminating the Queen or Irrisen;
b)Surviving the invasion for one year, at which point the Queen will be replaced and thus the enemy army should retreat;
declaring that either everyone will remain to defend the lands of the Linnorm until the year passes, or she will take an elite squad deep into Irrisen to take the Queen down, depeding on how the war develops. As she dismisses her council, she informs the archer representatives to get everything ready to continue their travel by four hours after sunrise of the next day at the latest.
Afterwards, Eclaire removes her armor and takes it to the blacksmith for it to be cleaned and polished to make the best impression possible. Sending Davis to inform the paladins of her plans, she then starts eating a portion of her elven trail rations as she plays around with her reptilian familiar to clear her mind in the privacy of her now almost empty tent.
Alan and Lance notice their leader is alone in the tent, and guessing what she is doing, keep sending idle followers on random tasks to prevent them from wondering what the female knight is doing in her alone time and peeking into the tent.

Llyarden
2015-07-25, 04:52 PM
"Well, what if we'd needed to alert you to something in that fight back there?" Lanerlei persisted. "We can't just go around calling you 'wolf' when there are other wolves around. Maybe you can distinguish between each other with different tones or scents or something, but that doesn't work for us. We need something to call you even if you don't."

As they got to the friendly wolf's den, she sighed and deposited the dead wolf on the ground, and then stretched with a sigh, letting her wings, which had been a bit crumpled by the weight of the wolf, extend to their full span for a few moments. "Are you okay?" she asked the friendly wolf, obviously concerned even though she herself was not in much better shape.

Hjolnai
2015-07-25, 08:05 PM
Tabrak gently lowers the unconscious wolf to the ground, his vast strength having been equal to the task of carrying her with little difficulty. It is not good for the living to be dragged over the ground, after all.

"As much as I hate to impose on the ways of others, we will need a name for you, wolf. If we are ever to introduce you to the people of this realm as a friend, well, they would expect to know the names of all their friends and will not readily believe us if you have none."

ylvathrall
2015-07-26, 12:45 AM
The wolf shrugs awkwardly. "If I need a name, I need a name," it says. "What's a good one? I wouldn't know." It nestles a little deeper into the snow. "And I'm fine, thanks for asking. Just tired. It's...been a long morning."

The unconscious wolf barely even twitches as Tabrak lowers it to the ground. It looks pretty badly battered at this point, but it's still breathing.

I know Tabrak can carry it, but given that the winter wolf is larger than he is, and they were traveling over some fairly rough ground, I thought it was fairly reasonable to give it 3d6 nonlethal damage to reflect glancing impacts with rocks and trees on the way. Luckily, this wasn't quite enough to kill it. And I do mean not quite; it's taken enough nonlethal damage to bring it down to 1 HP.

Frosty
2015-07-26, 01:04 AM
The succubus, despite having strength that is higher than any normal human, and blessed with endurance that rivals most olympians, is breathing hard by the time the wolves are deposited in the small glen.

"Alright...for the sake of expediency, friend wolf, you shall hence force be named...Teva. It a word in Celestial that translates roughly as 'nature' and is a good fit for you. If you don't like it we can always change it later on. Now, I shall heal your unconscious cousin. can you make sure she doesn't escape?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-26, 02:11 AM
"Nature?" Teva says dubiously. "That seems more confusing than just calling me wolf. But if that's how it's done, I suppose it works." It then looks at the unconscious wolf. "And don't worry about her. She won't run."

As I need a label and no other suggestions have been put forward, I will refer to the wolf as Teva for the time being. In addition, so as to keep things moving, I will go ahead and assume that you will heal the unconscious wolf until it regains consciousness. This will require a minimum of 29 points of healing, which I'm sure you can manage between you. If for any reason this assumption is inaccurate, ignore the remainder of this post.

After being healed, the winter wolf blinks her eyes slowly, and then looks around. Apparently satisfied with what she sees, she then stands and stretches, moving very slowly. She says something in Giant, apparently to Teva. Teva hesitates briefly, then walks off into the trees.

The remaining wolf lies down again, still moving very, very slowly. She crosses her front paws on the snow and then rests her chin on them. "So," she says in Common. "Let's get to it. Yes, I'm from Irrisen. Yes, I participated in the raid on that caravan. Yes, it was a premeditated act of war. No, I didn't organize or lead it. No, I don't know the queen's battle plans. No, there isn't anyone who will pay my weregild." She smiles, showing very large teeth that are stained dull red with her own blood. "Now that's out of the way, you might as well start with fire. No sense wasting time with small stuff. I'm sure you're on a schedule, so you might want to start with my snout and paws; they're particularly sensitive."

Frosty
2015-07-26, 03:00 PM
"You're not just ANY wolf. You're Teva now." says Abigail to Teva.

After the other wolf has been healed, Abigail wonders why Teva was (presumably) told to go away. Seeing the wolf move to...nonchalantly is also a surprise to the paladin. Is she neither worried about her situation, nor remorseful about what she did?

She tries matching fire with fire (metaphorically speaking). "Why do you seem so unconcerned with your predicament? Why did you participate in this act of murder and war? Who organized it and led this raid? No, we care not about weregilds and ransoms. Yes, we care more about justice and protecting people. Yes, 'people' in this context may include you in its definition, depending on how this conversation goes."

ylvathrall
2015-07-26, 03:33 PM
The wolf turns and smiles at Abigail. It seems a somewhat manic smile, an impression which isn't helped by the dry blood. "I am unconcerned with my situation because nothing I do matters at this point," she says. "Everyone breaks eventually, no matter what they say. Push someone far enough and they'll say anything to make the pain stop." She stops and stares at Abigail for several seconds. "Although you know that better than me," she says after this. "Or will you say that isn't brimstone I smell?"

"Oh," she adds as an afterthought, "and to answer your questions, I participated for the same reason anyone would. It was better than the alternative. The raid was organized by one of the White Witches, and led by an ice troll."

Llyarden
2015-07-26, 03:46 PM
"We are not here to torture you, or break you, or even kill you, should you give us the alternative." Lanerlei leant slightly on her glaive as she spoke. "You say that what you do now does not matter. That is not true. Perhaps you had no choice but to participate in the raid, but you have a choice now." After a moment, she added "What did you say to Te - to the other wolf?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-26, 06:17 PM
"Told the runt he didn't want to be here for the next part," the wolf says. "He's young enough that I don't think he's seen any torture before, and he isn't the sort to enjoy watching. I, on the other hand, am old enough to know you won't go easy on me if I cooperate. You might as well save us all some time and get the fire started. Like I said, snout and paws. Oh, and eyes," she adds. "I forgot to mention eyes earlier."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-26, 07:05 PM
Davis arrives as the female wolf speaks, and having overheard the conversation, comments as he approaches: "Actually, I don't think torture would cross their minds. The lady was considering executing you for hide and rations, as well as harvesting the other two dead wolves too, but these three were against it." He pauses for an instant, but then completes: "Actually, she was going to execute you for what amounts to war crimes, but that was what she planned to do afterwards." Looking at the three paladins, he makes a short bow, and says: "Lady Eclaire wanted me to inform you of her plans for tomorrow and what to do with the incoming war. Want to hear it now, or will you finish talking with the wolf first?"

Frosty
2015-07-26, 08:32 PM
The wolf turns and smiles at Abigail. It seems a somewhat manic smile, an impression which isn't helped by the dry blood. "I am unconcerned with my situation because nothing I do matters at this point," she says. "Everyone breaks eventually, no matter what they say. Push someone far enough and they'll say anything to make the pain stop." She stops and stares at Abigail for several seconds. "Although you know that better than me," she says after this. "Or will you say that isn't brimstone I smell?"

"Oh," she adds as an afterthought, "and to answer your questions, I participated for the same reason anyone would. It was better than the alternative. The raid was organized by one of the White Witches, and led by an ice troll.""Your nose must be smashed up more than we thought. Sorry about that. No, you don't smell brimstone. That's what devils wear for perfume. I'm from the other corner, and yes, I know more about breaking people than all of you here combined, even if I didn't do it with pain. But...no one is breaking here. Not today. Not here."

"Told the runt he didn't want to be here for the next part," the wolf says. "He's young enough that I don't think he's seen any torture before, and he isn't the sort to enjoy watching. I, on the other hand, am old enough to know you won't go easy on me if I cooperate. You might as well save us all some time and get the fire started. Like I said, snout and paws. Oh, and eyes," she adds. "I forgot to mention eyes earlier."
"He's not just a runt anymore. We've given him a name. Yes, you find it strange. Not the main point right now. Now use your brain for something other than assuming things for a second and understand what we are trying to say." Abigail sighs as she finds it sad what these creatures' expectations are. But then, given her origins, she has seen this many times before. Defusing a situation is much harder than escalating it it seems.

Davis arrives as the female wolf speaks, and having overheard the conversation, comments as he approaches: "Actually, I don't think torture would cross their minds. The lady was considering executing you for hide and rations, as well as harvesting the other two dead wolves too, but these three were against it." He pauses for an instant, but then completes: "Actually, she was going to execute you for what amounts to war crimes, but that was what she planned to do afterwards." Looking at the three paladins, he makes a short bow, and says: "Lady Eclaire wanted me to inform you of her plans for tomorrow and what to do with the incoming war. Want to hear it now, or will you finish talking with the wolf first?"
As the archer approaches and delivers his message, Abigail listens with a passive face, not showing any emotion. "David, thank you for the message. We shall hear it after finishing up with the wolves. Would you mind asking the other wolf to come back here? He really should be a part of this conversation. Thank you.".

After Davis leaves, the succubus turns back to the wolf. "Do you understand why I didn't want you hearing the war plans? Since we are being blunt, let me spell out the implications. We are likely going to let you go, without torturing you, and we don't want you to have information to give to your comrades if you run into them. You, and your two cousins that I'm going to raise from the dead, even if it hurts me physically to do so. So yes, what you say here, and your honesty, matters a LOT."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-27, 01:00 AM
"It's Davis, not David." The ranger then leaves, looking for the other wolf.

ylvathrall
2015-07-27, 01:47 AM
The winter wolf seems genuinely amused by the tangent about names. "I see you've had that conversation with him," she says. "He's rather innocent in the ways of the world. He was born in a traditional pack, and this is his first time out in the world. Most of us have interacted with other races enough to understand names."

This amusement fades momentarily, however. "You say I have a choice," she says quietly. "What choice is that, then? Do you know what they do to deserters in Irrisen? I do. One of my littermates deserted when we were cubs, about three years ago. I was about a year old; the runt wasn't even born yet. When he deserted, the witches caught him and tied him down in the middle of the street. And then they took a candle to him. Just a candle, but they used it all over his body, burning him alive a piece at a time. When he passed out, they used their magic to heal him. By the third day, he was begging for death."

It seems as though she will say something else, but then you hear a whine from the edge of the clearing. Teva is crouched there, having been told to return by Davis, and having apparently heard this entire speech.

The other wolf looks at him. "I thought I told you you don't want to be here for this," she says crossly. She looks from him to you, and then slumps back to the ground, looking utterly defeated. "Ask your questions," she says wearily. "Or burn me, or whatever it is you want to do. It doesn't matter."

Llyarden
2015-07-27, 02:50 AM
Lanerlei crouched a little so she was on the same level as the wolf, giving a sorrowful glance across to Teva, although inwardly, she was surprisingly happy. The wolf had apparently tried to protect Teva from hearing things that might hurt him. To Lanerlei, that showed that she could be redeemed more than anything else. "You will likely think these hollow words, but...I am sorry for your loss." After a few moments of quiet, she resumed. "Your choice, though, is to not return to Irrisen. You and the others could find somewhere to live away from the Irrisen and others that would hurt you needlessly. Live your life away from fear of them."

Frosty
2015-07-27, 02:51 AM
The succubus checks the female wolf for evil aura. "Yes, he does seem innocent, which is why he needs to be here, to know what *may* happen to him. He as decided to join us for the time, and we hope he can help us in this upcoming conflict, but he cannot make an informed decision without knowing all the facts. And here he is now."

Abigail turns and faces Teva solemnly. "It may be very dangerous, Teva. While I promise you I would do my utmost best to protect y ad I would any of my companions, I cannot guarantee your safety. I still hope you will aid us, as many many innocents will die unless this conflict is ended quickly."

Looking back to the older female wolf, the succubus sighs and points towards the camp. "Being threatened with torture and death is horrible, I understand, but over there in our camp there are a pile of corpses. They were people that didn't deserve to die either, and I can't let you keep doing that. So this are the choices I am giving you. If you can sincerely say that you will not participate in this war any further, and you wish to go far away from her to hide from the witches, I will let you go. If you feel the other two dead wolves would make a similar choice, I will raise them from the dead and they can go too after making the same choice. If you feel you cannot choose to stay out, I will have no choice but to kill you, but there will be no torture of any kind. The third option, although I do not expect you to choose it, is to switch sides instead. Either come with us and help us end the conflict quickly, or perhaps help make amends by guarding villages from attacks. It is dangerous of course, but at least you are more likely to die in battle than by being tortured, and you would be giving the metaphorical finger to those evil witches who would torture members of your family so cruelly. Yes, I understand people around here might not like your kind but I would speak on your behalf if your choice is genuine."

ylvathrall
2015-07-27, 04:25 AM
"Your choice is a cruel lie," the wolf says, not even picking her head up off the ground. "You say that I should fight Irrisen, so that I might at least die cleanly. Do you imagine, then, that the torments of the witches end with death?" She snorts. "When my littermate stopped screaming, they skinned him alive and made a pair of boots from his hide. Then they trapped his soul and bound it to those boots, so that he could suffer forever. There is no escape in death. There is no peace. Shall I run, then? And where shall I go? Into the mountains, to live as a beast until some troll or giant ends me? Shall I live among the Ulfen, where they will put me in a wicker man for no greater crime than my existence?"

She raises her head now, and stares at Teva. "I have no love for Irrisen," she says to him. "But at least there we were treated as people rather than vermin. That is not so, in the rest of the world. I hope you never have cause to regret leaving that behind."

The winter wolf then rests her head on her paws again, closing her eyes. "There is no justice in this world," she says quietly. "And happiness is a lie. How do you keep fighting, when there is so little worth fighting for?"

Tuvarkz
2015-07-27, 04:49 AM
"It's because it doesn't matter if happiness and justice are lies. They are beautiful enough, and that makes it worth living, fighting and dying for them. That's why I serve the lady and her ideals, and will do so until the end."

Hjolnai
2015-07-27, 07:19 AM
"You think that you could find no place in other lands. My very existence proves that is not true. Hobgoblin war camps are as cruel and brutal as any place - some hobgoblins even sear and scar their own skins for a tougher hide. Even so, as a renegade I find acceptance - and the more so the further I wander from Isger."

Tabrak pauses for breath.

"Perhaps you'll find no home in the lands of the Linnorm Kings, but the world is larger than you know. In other lands, people will not know your history and will judge you more by your actions - help freely offered may be repaid in kind. Of course, we would not readily unleash you upon those lands if you are not determined to take up better ways; that would risk too great harm to accept - even if the alternative is your death."

Frosty
2015-07-27, 11:21 PM
The succubus i actually a bit flabbergasted. "Are...are you listening to yourself? You just said they skinned your littermate and then BOUND HIS SOUL to torture him for eternity. How is THAT an example of Irrisen treating you like PEOPLE? I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite. Now look, trust me when i say there is justice and happiness in the world. Do you know why? Because I've DESTROYED much of it during my...previous career. It's there, and now I'm going to protect such beauty instead of destroying. Life beautiful, yours included. Are you ready to let it end, or are you going to make as much as it as you can, while you can? The witches can find you tomorrow, but if your life was lives to your fullest and you found meaning in it, then it was all worth it. You think they're horrible, then help us. I'm here to that kind of cruelty, and what we did today wasn't anywhere close to our full power."

Abigail stops to take a breath (even though she doesn't need to breathe) for effect. "Still, I cannot force you to fight for justice, or happiness, or good. That is something you have to choose to do. I do promise, that if you stick with me, I will protect you to the best of my ability. I made the same promise to Teva. If you decide to run away as far as you can, and promise to kill no more, then I would wush the best of luck to you."

ylvathrall
2015-07-28, 12:31 AM
"In fairness," the winter wolf says dryly, looking at Abigail, "the witches treat all deserters that way. But it goes further than that. In Irrisen, we had the same rights as anyone else. We could talk to people, or go to markets. We could even go to school if we wanted to. Do you think that's true here? Because I think that if I were to walk into the nearest town and ask the butcher for a pound of bacon, he'd either run away or try to kill me."

She then rests her head on her paws again. "I would like to believe in what you say," she says. "But I can't. I've spent too long in Irrisen, I guess. It's hard to believe in good when I've seen so much evil. And in any case, I've had enough of war. But I suppose I could live a little longer to see whether there is something in this world worth fighting for. I know of places I could go to be by myself for a while and think." She then says something in Giant.

"If you want to know anything else," she says after this, "ask. I have seen more of Irrisen than the...than Teva. I may be able to answer."

Not completely sure where you're going from here, so I'm not going to advance things any further in time. If you ask the winter wolf to leave, she will do so. If you attack her, she will allow you to coup de grace her with no resistance. If you ask other questions, her responses will vary.

Frosty
2015-07-28, 01:04 AM
"I...I understand what you mean. In my true form, I would be chased out of any town. I always try to do as much good as I can, and I pray that if I get revealed, I will have banked enough good-will to overcome the...understandable prejudice. You must understand, I'd wager that no more than one in a billion of my kind are like me. The rest are...murderous, hateful beings. If you choose to remain in this area, I would do my best to convince the locals to give you a chance. Perhaps if you are willing to make amends for the killings you have done, that would help. As for questions...let's start with the general. What can you tell us about the war effort. What has been mobilized? How big is the scale? Can you tell us any weaknesses of the Irrisen army?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-28, 01:36 AM
"I appreciate the offer," the winter wolf says. "But I think I need to be on my own for a while. I need to think things through. To answer your questions...wait. There were more of you when you attacked us, right? And the man with the bow mentioned a lady. It might be better if you're all here for this, especially if I'm leaving. She might have more questions later, and I won't be there to answer them."

Assuming that no one disagrees with her, Teva will volunteer to go and fetch Eclaire, as he is the fastest person available by a considerable margin. He will then go to the camp, stopping a distance away and shouting that he needs to talk to the lady knight. He will explain the basics of the situation to her and inquire whether she would like to be present for the discussion. Assuming that is the case, the following does not occur until after Teva returns, with or without Eclaire.

"It's a large-scale effort," the female wolf says. "Rumor has it Elvanna's been preparing for this war since the day she took power, which means she's had a hundred years to get ready. There's enough of a garrison on the eastern border to keep the Mammoth Lords out, but other than that she's putting everything she's got into it. That means lots of winter wolves and trolls, some dragons, some giants, a lot of fey. And witches, of course. All kinds of witches. As for weaknesses...I don't know. Most of the things that live in Irrisen don't like fire much, I suppose. And there's also a lot of infighting. If you can turn factions against each other, that might help."

Frosty
2015-07-28, 01:45 AM
Agreed. Yeah Eclair should be here to ask questions.

"Well, encouraging in-fighting may make it easier on us, but it would...increase the overall bloodshed." Abigail does not appear to relish in slaughter, despite how good she is at it. "Our enemies are people to, and I'd like to minimize death where ever possible. Still, I suppose it can be a last resort. Thank you for the insight. Can you tell me more about the various factions and groups who might not like each other? A basic political primer? Oh, also, the two dead wolves...do you think their answers will be much the same as yours? I would raise them and offer them the same choices. If they choose like you did, you three can at least band together for safety."

Tuvarkz
2015-07-28, 02:18 AM
Eclaire heals the howl of the wolf, probably getting what's going on. She picks up her greatsword, and her familiar safe once more in the pouch at her back, she has a short talk with the wolf, after the which she re-enters camp for a moment, bringing what seems to amount of a large scroll, a quill and ink. She hears Abigail's words, but then says: "You are being too naive this time. If we don't make them rebel and fight each other, they are all going to end up attacking the people here. More will die if they don't rebel."
She then unfolds the scroll, showing what could only be called a map of Irrisen, which occupies the rough center of the illustration. However, while the surrounding lands have a noticeable amount of detail to them, Irrisen's map is majorly empty, only geographical features large enough to have been seen without entering it depicted. "We should be around here." Eclaire points at their rough location, and continues: "Could you point in the map the rough locations of the places, forests and lakes that you know of? That would be of great help."

ylvathrall
2015-07-28, 10:27 AM
"I don't know much about politics," the wolf says. "I always figured the less I had to do with that, the happier I'd be. As for those two, well." She snorts, releasing a small puff of chilly air. "How on earth would I know? I never saw either of them until a week ago when I started this assignment. One of them said maybe ten words in that time. The other one rants about the glory of the queen with every other breath, but I couldn't tell you if he's sincere. You live over there, you learn not to ask that sort of question."

She then moves forward and nudges the scroll with one paw. "This, though...I can do this. Hard for me to hold a pen, so you'll have to draw." She moves her paw over the scroll to indicate the features she's talking about, being careful not to tear it with her claws.

"First off, there are six provinces. Closest to us is the Verge; that's where most of the military is staging out of. North of that is Bleakmarch, rivers here, here, and here, and a glacier on the northern border. Not much else up there, really; people stay close to the rivers. Further east you have Wintercrux to the south and Thronehold to the north. Thronehold is where the capital is, and Wintercrux has a lot of industry. Furthest to the east are Feyfrost to the north and Hoarwood to the south. Hoarwood is the only really big forest. Feyfrost is...well, I've never actually been there. It's owned by the fey, and not many people go there. Other than that, you have Glacier Lake here, it's really huge, and there are mountains to the south. Almost all of the cities are on the water, either Glacier Lake or one of the rivers."

Knowing major political organizations and factions of Irrisen is a Knowledge (nobility) check. There's no real RAW information about what check it is to create a map, so I'm going to say that you can get a crude outline of what the wolf is describing for no check. If you want something more exact and useful, I'm inclined to say it's a Knowledge (geography) check to know what it should have listed, and your choice of Linguistics or a relevant Craft skill to draw it out in a legible and accurate way. If you feel you should be able to use different skills, please feel free to make your case for them.

Llyarden
2015-07-28, 10:40 AM
Lanerlei decided not to press the wolf further on her arguments. If they were not careful, it would be more likely to turn her away from them than anything else. From one of her pockets, the aasimar produced a small bundle of brushes and a small black block wrapped in paper. Licking the end of one of the smaller brushes and dabbing it onto the block, she began to sketch symbols to match the places the wolf pointed out to her. "Not quite what I'm used to doing..." she muttered to herself vaguely, looking up every so often in case anyone else had any input into the design of the map.

I think Craft (painting) is about the closest we have, unless one of Eclaire's innumerable followers happens to be a cartographer. Lanerlei doesn't have Knowledge (geography), though, so someone else will have to check her work. [roll0]
She does have Knowledge (nobility), though. Albeit not very well, so she'll just Aid whoever does have it. [roll1]

...now I wish I hadn't specified that was an Aid attempt.

Tuvarkz
2015-07-28, 11:06 AM
Eclaire nods, as she comments on Lanerlei's work to make sure no detail is listed wrongly, as she tries to recall her old lessons on Irrisen nobility and about how to fight in each type of terrain.

Gonna pop up a couple Displays of Intelligence, first one for K:nobility
[roll0]
Since this is a military map, and tactical training likely involves what fighting in each kind of terrain takes place (The Art of War does mention choosing in what terrain to fight quite a lot), I'll assume Knowlege: Martial should do the trick even if at least partially since no information on the type of wildlife or climate is necessary for the fixated pieces of rock and rivers and big trees.
[roll1]