PDA

View Full Version : [NaC] The Hedge Wizard

mabriss lethe
2007-04-26, 12:51 AM
Yet another Non-Adventuring Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41977) for the campaign I'm putting together. I'm not so sure about this one though. (and yes...I know that I could just pop a few levels in NPC classes without having to screw around with game mechanics, I just like where this is going for a very specific campaign world.)

The Hedge Wizard

"What? You no believe in Gragga's magic, big man? C'mere. I show you magic." -Gragga the Maimed, Goblin Hedge Wizard.

Magic users come from many backgrounds. Most people in an urban environment with any sort of magical talent are picked up for formal training. In the backwoods, that doesn't always happens. Some are self taught, Some follow old family traditions, Their magic is minimal, but still useful in a pinch. A hedge wizard is sometimes the only help a commoner can get. he can assist in driving out "bad spirits" in a place, ensuring a good harvest and things like that. Conversely, a piqued hedge wizard will readily curse someone who slighted him, causing ruin to crops and loss of livestock.

Most Hedge Wizards will seek out formal training of some sort once they reach the limits of their power.

Alignment: N/A

Hit die: d4

Skill Points: 2 +int modifier

Class Skills: A hedge wizard's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

The Hedge Wizard Table:
Level|BAB|SpAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+0*|+0|+0|+0|+2|Talisman, Talismanic Magic I,Charms & Curses
2|+0*|+1|+0|+0|+3|Deepened Link
3|+0*|+1|+1|+1|+3|Talismanic Magic II
4|+0*|+2|+1|+1|+4|Deepened Link II, Wards & Seals
5|+0*|+2|+1|+1|+4|Talismanic Magic III, Path to true magic

Weapon and armor proficiency:
The Hedge Wizard is proficient with the following weapons. Club, Dagger, Heavy or Light Crossbow and Quarterstaff. The Hedge wizard is not proficient with any form or armor or shields.

Talisman: Though not a true master of sorcery by any stretch of the imagination, The Hedge Wizard has learned to create a device that allows him to channel his magics after a fashion. This talisman can be crafted of nearly any material and take nearly any form. If it takes the form of a worn item, it takes up the appropriate body slot. If not, then it must be touched or held at the time of casting. As long as it is a minor trinket there isn't a gold cost involved in its creation. It simply takes a week of ritual and meditation to create one. The talisman becomes a Focus used in all the magic a hedge wizard casts. If a talisman is ever lost, it takes another week to gather the proper materials and invoke the rituals to drain the magic from the lost talisman and transfer it to the new one. Drained talismans still retain a link to the hedge wizard, anyone in possession of a drained talisman may use it to gain a +2 to Save DCs against any magic the PC casts upon them. If the talisman is ever destroyed, the Hedge Wizard must attempt a DC 15 fortitude save. Failure means he loses 200 experience per hedge wizard level. Success reduces the loss to one half. A hedge wizard's experience point total can never drop below 0 as a result of the talisman's destruction. A destroyed talisman is replaced in the same manner as a lost one. Drained talismans may be destroyed without harming the hedge wizard. Talismans created in the form of a melee weapon are capable of transmitting an Arcane Mark via a strike, but the weapon must be masterwork, and one the hedge wizard is proficient with. Weapon talismans takes twice as long to create and have a gold cost equivalent to the masterwork weapon.

Talismanic Magic: At first level the Hedge Wizard learns to channel his powers through his talisman to create minor magical effects. He may cast Arcane Mark and Detect Magic each a number of times equal to his Charisma Modifier (Minimum of 1) per day. The character also gains a number of "spell slots" per day equal to his hedge wizard level. These "spell slots" are used to fuel the "Charms & Curses" and the "Wards & Seals" power. The hedge wizard's caster level increases every other class level to 2 at level three and 3 at level 5. Additionally the Hedge Wizard may use magic items with spell trigger or spell completion as a wizard of a level equal to his talismanic magic caster level. these levels stack with actual wizard levels to determine effective wizard level of the Hedge Wizard when dealing with said magic items.

Charms & Curses: The hedge wizard can use one of his talisman's spell slots to imbue an item or creature with the most basic essence of magic. Luck and Unluck. The creature or object must first be the subject of the Hedge Wizard's Arcane Mark. Thereafter, the hedge wizard can either charm or curse the target as long as the mark remains. Each use of this power grants a one time numeric penalty or bonus to any of a variety of things. It can be used to imbue a +1 bonus or -1 penalty per caster level to a single hit roll, AC, or to a particular save. It can also be used to give a +/- 2 to a character's next skill roll. This power remains dormant within the target until discharged. Charms discharge the first time the character fails in whatever the charm was supposed to defend against, giving them an instant bonus to it. If the bonus is enough to cause the roll to succeed, then the failure is negated, otherwise the power is wasted. Curses work in the exact opposite manner: Triggering the first time a target succeeds in the appropriate department and trying to negate that success. This ability has a range of 25 feet +5 feet per caster level. Unattended items receive no save, creatures and attended items must make a successful will save versus a (DC of 10+Caster Level+Charisma modifier) If the curse or charm isn't discharged then it fades away harmlessly after 24 hours per caster level for an item or 1 hour per caster level for a creature. The hedge wizard may only have as many combined charms and curses active as he has Hedge Wizard levels. Casting either a charm or a curse is a standard action.

Deepened Link: At 2nd level The Hedge wizard gains the Awareness feat whenever he is wearing his talisman, much as a wizard or sorcerer gains this feet when in the presence of their familiars. He also gains a general awareness of the location of any target he has Marked with the talisman within one mile. This sense is a Hot/cold sort of thing giving him only a vague sense of direction and distance. At 4th level this link with the talisman deepens further, giving the Hedge wizard either a +3 bonus to a single skill , a +2 bonus to a single save, or a +1 deflection bonus to AC. These bonuses only apply when the talisman is worn or in hand and do not stack with any bonuses granted to the owner of a familiar.

Wards and Seals: The Hedge wizard can discharge a number of his talismanic "spell slots" to create minor magical defenses:

Seals: Seals require an expenditure of 3 talismanic spell slots to create. Seals function in a manner similar to the spell Glyph of Warding. Any condition that would bypass or trigger a Glyph will trigger a seal. Instead of the normal effects of the Glyph. Again, Arcane Mark must be cast upon the object where the Seal is set. Anyone who triggers the seal is dazed for one round by the burst of magic. in addition, the arcane mark used in creating the seal is transferred to the creature who triggered the seal. The Hedge Wizard may only have one Seal active at a time should a second seal be attempted before the first is discharged, the first is harmlessly dispelled. Seals are permanent until discharged or dispelled.

Wards: Wards require an expenditure of 4 talismanic spell slots to create, additionally they require four objects carrying Arcane Marks. The four objects are placed at the four corners of the boundary the ward will create. Wards requires one minute to cast and once cast grant anyone within the boundary during casting any single bonus that a charm would give for as long as the creature remains within the boundaries of the ward. the effects of the ward last 24 hours. If the Marked items are already placed specifically for the purpose of creating a ward, it can be created as a standard action. The maximum size limit for the ward is a circle with a 10 foot radius. The Hedge wizard may only have one ward set at any given time. if he manages to cast a second one, the magic of the first one fades.

Path To True Magic: At fifth level, the hedge wizard learns The Path to True Magic. His caster level as a hedge wizard is added to the first spell casting class he takes a level in. This caster level is used to determine things like the strength of spells and save DCs but never give access to more spells. This bonus is active as long as the hedge wizard uses his talisman as a focus during casting. As the Hedge wizard grows into greater power, his old powers still gain potency,use the hedge wizard's adjusted caster level to determine the strength of his charms and curses etc, but he doesn't gain any new talismanic spell slots

There are a few issues with this I haven't quite resolved. I'm thinking of replacing the "Ward" ability with something else. I really need to playtest this one before going any further. Unlike the Skullthumper from earlier I doubt I have much interest in a 20 level base class version of this. PS.. the 20 level skullthumper is coming along great

EvilElitest
2007-04-26, 12:25 PM
Funny
from
EE

FreeRangeOyster
2007-04-28, 12:02 AM
I'd have to play test this, or see your results from playtesting, but it doesn't seem imbalanced, especially since it serves a specific pupose in your world/campaign. I don't quite understand what you did with the Attack Bonus. There's an asterisk, and what I assume stands for Special Attack Bonus, but I didn't see anything corresponding to that in the text. The flavor (my favorite feature in any class) is very authentic, and I like this much better for the occasional random magic hermit or podunk village wise man than the adept. I especially like the way you set up the Path to True Magic ability. Do tell us how the testing goes!

mabriss lethe
2007-04-28, 12:59 AM
sorry. that's in the linked thread. SPaB replaces BAB in all ways except one. it never gives multiple attacks.

Triaxx
2007-04-28, 08:03 PM
I like it. I would consider changing the name of ward. It doesn't quite fit the title. Perhaps ward should be something more... practical. Such as warding a campsite against intruders. Set up a ward when you rest, and let everyone gain +2 to listen checks.

Perhaps what is now Ward would fit better as Hedge Blessing. Or Greater Charm.

mabriss lethe
2007-04-29, 01:54 AM
Yeah, didn't really like the ward ability too much when I wrote it... I was just sort of drawing a blank and put some filler there.