PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior Powers

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-16, 11:15 PM
I am making a 12th level archery based psychic warrior 6/slayer 6. I have Zen Archery and will be using Hank's Energy bow. The problem here is I am not sure what would be good for my 1st level powers. Normally expansion is a must but it doesn't actually buff the damage off my Bow by much (+1 per size category) and lowers my to hit and the extra reach isn't all that good here, I am at a loss. A lot of these powers seem melee oriented.

I have the Freedom Mantle from the Mantled Warrior ACF and will be taking Dimension Hop, but aside from that I am stumped. Any suggestions?

Edit: And 3rd levels have me stumped even worse.

Psyren
2015-06-16, 11:46 PM
1st-level has a lot of useful powers - Vigor, Offenisve/Defensive Precognition, Offensive Prescience, and you can't go wrong with Empty Mind, which gives you a use for your immediate action. Force Screen gives you a shield bonus even with both hands on your bow that lasts all combat. Detect Psionics is always useful if no one else has it.

3rd-level is also useful even if you've picked all the good stuff from 1st- and 2nd-level - Danger Sense (augmented) to make you immune to sneak attack and being flat-footed, Ectoplasmic Form to slip through cracks, Dimension Slide for move-action teleportation, Escape Detection to block scrying/see invis etc.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-17, 01:27 AM
I forgot you can augment Precognition, Offensive, to a swift, so that is definitely going on.
What about Inertial Armor? It would free up gold for other items and is as good as enhancementless magical armor.

Andreaz
2015-06-17, 05:17 AM
I forgot you can augment Precognition, Offensive, to a swift, so that is definitely going on.
What about Inertial Armor? It would free up gold for other items and is as good as enhancementless magical armor.

It works, and it does last hours. I'd still rather spend the gold.

Eldaran
2015-06-17, 06:28 AM

If you were going dex build I'd say yes, but you could very well run around in full plate as a Zen Archer. I think there's a bunch of archery powers in Complete Psionic, those could be useful.

One power I highly suggest on an archer is Dissolving Weapon, it adds 4d6 acid damage and the power has an instantaneous duration, meaning once you put it on a weapon it lasts forever until it hits once. The trick here is to put it on a bunch of arrows, and any time you end the day with left over power points just charge up some arrows.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-17, 08:14 PM
One power I highly suggest on an archer is Dissolving Weapon, it adds 4d6 acid damage and the power has an instantaneous duration, meaning once you put it on a weapon it lasts forever until it hits once. The trick here is to put it on a bunch of arrows, and any time you end the day with left over power points just charge up some arrows.

Energy Bow creates its own arrows, so I am not sure how useful dissolving weapon would be. I could cast it once after each combat (and at the end/start of the day) but a little bonus damage might be helpful. Here is a list of my powers thus far

1st:
Precognition, Offensive
Dimension Hop
?

2nd:
Hustle
Detect Hostile Intent
Psionic Scent

3rd:
?
?

4th:
Psionic Fly
Energy Adaptation

Venger
2015-06-17, 08:33 PM
living arrow is probably something you'd be interested in next level if you're speccing for archery.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-17, 08:35 PM
living arrow is probably something you'd be interested in next level if you're speccing for archery.

Where is that from?

Venger
2015-06-17, 08:39 PM
Where is that from?

rotw p 176. also give "telekinetic boomerang" a look. it's in the same place. manifest it on arrows for your rendition of spoons mcgee.

jiriku
2015-06-17, 08:44 PM
You really can't go wrong with force screen, inertial armor, or vigor. In combat, there will always be someone trying to kill you. The higher your AC and the more hp you have, the less likely that is to become a problem you can't handle. At 3rd level, I'd note that vampiric blade works on ranged weapons too. Energy emanation or empathic feedback would provide you with a means of damaging creatures you can't shoot with arrows (such as swarms).

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-17, 08:47 PM
Telekinetic Boomerang doesn't look useful with those force arrows, but Living Arrow looks amazing.
Edit: I am partial to Inertial Armor, but I am not sure if the savings in gold is worth the power slot (11 PP would give me 9 armor AC per day, assuming no dispelling).

Venger
2015-06-17, 08:58 PM
Telekinetic Boomerang doesn't look useful with those force arrows, but Living Arrow looks amazing.
Edit: I am partial to Inertial Armor, but I am not sure if the savings in gold is worth the power slot (11 PP would give me 9 armor AC per day, assuming no dispelling).

it is, which is why I recommended it. psionic powers are lurking all over the place in the most annoying and difficult to find places, glad I could bring this one out of the dark.

unless you optimize AC, it's a waste of time. since I don't think you're entering abjchamp or similar, you're better off investing your pennies in miss chance, like through a cloak of minor displacement or similar and saving the slot. if you really want those things, a dorje is fine since the duration's not really a huge part of it, nor is the augment.