PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 16th Level and What to Actually do!?

Chained Birds
2015-06-17, 12:01 AM
I was recently invited to a game in a Dark Sun setting, following the conclusion of a previous campaign where one of the PCs took some powerful item and just ran away with it for some sort of evil goal. It was a way to end the game fast, due to 2 players having to leave, so it was fine (The player who stole the item is now going to be the new DM with his former character being the BBEG).

The thing is, I don't have much knowledge of gaming past level 7-9ish, and am pretty intimidated about the idea of playing such a high level game so suddenly with a brand new character. I am hoping some of the good people of this site can give me some suggestions to be a functional member of the party (which is about 7 PCs including me) and can help coach me in surviving the high level dangers I'll be facing.

-----

Here is what I know of the campaign and the other PCs (Subject to change when I learn more):

- Dark Sun setting: so basic Divine and Arcane Magic stuff may get flubbed up as per some rules about Magic in the setting. I played some of the setting before (non-casters), but never at such a high level of potential spellcasting.

- Pathfinder Psionics are good. This makes me want to play a Psionics class, which I'm debating between Aegis and Vitalist or Tactician. Have no idea if Multi-Classing would be good for either of these classes, though I'm not against the idea if something cool comes out of it! :smallbiggrin:

- [Update]The Players (From what I know): 1 Ranger, 1 Wizard, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue (May Change), 1 Paladin (May Change), Maybe a Sorcerer, Gunslinger. The game won't really be up until Saturday, so the others are still debating on playing their old characters or making new ones. Though the Cleric, Ranger, and Rogue are definitely going to be there.

----

Item purchase suggestions would be helpful. Knowledge about the setting I should concern myself with and what dangers I should build around when it comes to Level 16 threats and greater...

Thank you all in advance.

Crake
2015-06-17, 12:44 AM
The player who stole the item is now going to be the new DM with his former character being the BBEG

I'll be honest, that bit right there struck me as a bit of a red flag. Has this guy ever DMed for you before?

BWR
2015-06-17, 12:50 AM
Go with psionics. Very fitting for the setting, much safer than arcane magic. Find out if your DM is going to permit the un-DS-like Vitalist and aegis stuff. Elemental clerics are cool, though.
Gear: can't help you there. DS is notoriously under-geared compared to other games and I don't know how your DM will handle this. Not to mention I'm only familiar with 2e DS and not how people handle gear and high levels in 3.x. Personally, I'd let you have a handful of minor psionic items and maybe a life-shaped something you found in an epic dungeon delve not long ago. No Christmas tree for any characters. Warriors might just be getting a full set of metal armor and weapons at this point, maybe even a magical metal weapon.

Chained Birds
2015-06-17, 08:08 AM
I'll be honest, that bit right there struck me as a bit of a red flag. Has this guy ever DMed for you before?

Yes, while I too have seen this sort of flag pop up in many a story on this site, I'll just roll with it and hope things don't go all Mary Sue like for his BBEG.

Novawurmson
2015-06-17, 12:40 PM
Aegis is really powerful for a melee class at level 16 - you've got oodles of customization points with tons of flexibility on how to allocate them throughout the day. With that party, you should be able to easily meet or exceed everyone except the wizard/sorcerer/cleric - and even then, if they're poorly optimized. Very forgiving, inherently powerful class. If your GM gives you free reign with items, you'll be able to pick up power stones for the harness power stone line of customizations.

Tactician's a great choice. At level 16, you can dedicate a few feats to Expanded Knowledge and have an extremely well-rounded manifester even beyond your buffing and crowd control. You'll have access to every strategy (the class feature), and you'll be able to echo your caster's effects.

Vitalist is interesting, though it's best when paired with a psionic party because of the Harmonic Resonance feat. If you really wanted to, you could just take a level of vitalist to make the cleric's healing job easier (or even redistribute the paladin's healing).

If you end up having a ranger, rogue, and paladin, I'd recommend going Tactician to buff the crap out of them. If you end up with everyone else going casters, I'd lean more towards Aegis. If you end up with no one that can heal, I'd recommend Vitalist.

There are guides for all three classes in the Optimization Guide Compendium in my signature (though the tactician guide in particular is a little lacking - I should know, I'm one of the people who wrote it).

Chained Birds
2015-06-17, 01:49 PM
Update: Looks like the party makeup is going to most likely be (unless there are some changes along the way):
- Paladin, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Gunslinger (With some stuff to make it more Dark Sun friendly). No more Wizard or Sorcerer due to the characters being the ones who are leaving. :smallsigh:

Aegis is really powerful for a melee class at level 16 -...
----
...Tactician's a great choice. At level 16, you can dedicate a few feats to Expanded Knowledge and have an extremely well-rounded manifester even beyond your buffing and crowd control.

Looks like the party might be lacking some things. Would the Aegis or the Tactician fill in the gaps better? I believe the cleric is pretty competent, although I am worried about our party's options if he gets disabled or something.

Novawurmson
2015-06-17, 03:18 PM
Paladin and ranger both have un-disabling features (assuming PF Paladin, mercy is great at 16th level). If the paladin, ranger, and rogue are all melee, definitely go tactician over aegis.

Edit: If you're really worried about healing, go battle medic tactician. I'm playing one right now, and it's tons of fun.

Chained Birds
2015-06-17, 05:31 PM
Paladin and ranger both have un-disabling features (assuming PF Paladin, mercy is great at 16th level). If the paladin, ranger, and rogue are all melee, definitely go tactician over aegis.

Edit: If you're really worried about healing, go battle medic tactician. I'm playing one right now, and it's tons of fun.

Cool.

Any must-haves for a Tactician (Battle Medic) that you've found through your game?

Eldaran
2015-06-18, 12:51 AM
I highly agree with Tactician, the more attackers you have the more powerful it becomes, you have 4 in your party (and possibly the cleric too) so it will be amazing.

You're going to want to pick up a bunch of buffs, get Quicken/Hustle Power metapsionic feat, get Psionic Meditation to get your focus back, and spam those buffs. Share Power is also nice for pulling off all sorts of shenanigans.

Chained Birds
2015-06-18, 08:10 AM
I'm debating on Amplifier or Battle Medic. I was saddened that Battle Medic doesn't have the Vitalist healing transferring for over-healing; but it made up for it with the Cushion the Blow feat line. And I like Amplifier giving some strong damage outputs to strong 1 hits with spells or attacks; but not sure if the improved sharing is too large of a hit...

Hmm, is Battle Medic a better option for a larger party (7 characters) than an Amplifier? That is really the only lingering question I really have.

Novawurmson
2015-06-18, 03:43 PM
Re: Battle Medic.

Yeah, Psionic Meditation is a great pickup. You can make use of Psionic Body with your three free psionic feats (if you like HP, which I do). I picked up Fold Space and Energy Missile through Expanded Knowledge, but I think there's a 6th level Tactician power you can use to get around taking Fold Space that way if you're starting at level 16. Energy Missile is one of the most efficient damaging powers in the game - if you're gonna take one, why not take the best?

Collective Defenses is stupid. Your Int to AC for your collective? At level 16, your Int could easily be 26 or more, meaning a +8 insight bonus to AC. When your allies do occasionally get hit, cushion the blow. When something finally gets them below half, expend focus+regain as a move action/healing power as standard action.

You'll be able to start with Heal Injuries, so your PP/HP healing ration is insane. Battlesense is your go-to buffing power. Your rogue would probably appreciate Prowess as One (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/p/prowess-as-one).

Amplifier doesn't look too impressive to me, but that's personal opinion. Yeah, the +50% damage thing is kinda cool, but I prefer my support classes to be on the defensive side.

Chained Birds
2015-06-18, 07:11 PM
Cool. Thanks for all of the suggestions as I delve into the Tactician life! Hopefully the character doesn't die horribly.

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 12:20 AM
Cool. Thanks for all of the suggestions as I delve into the Tactician life! Hopefully the character doesn't die horribly.

If it does, we optimizers are always here to help you take REVENGE!