PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Deux Ex Machina?

Moechi_Vill
2007-04-26, 02:17 AM
Your vote, please.

Levant
2007-04-26, 02:21 AM
I'd rather not

Edit: ok, now i see the poll. I don't see why not. V did everything better than could be expected and got screwed over by nothing more than mere chance, so I vote that it could and should happen.

Tharr
2007-04-26, 04:20 AM
The fact is V dies his gender migth be finally done.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-26, 06:59 AM
:thog: thog sad about not being in poll

Rai Thunder
2007-04-26, 08:14 AM
Yeah, ignoring the "Thog being in every poll thing" here.

I don't really understand the question. Can you rephrase it?

oball
2007-04-26, 08:16 AM
Deus ex machina.

TDG
2007-04-26, 08:47 AM
Yeah, ignoring the "Thog being in every poll thing" here.

I don't really understand the question. Can you rephrase it?

I think the poll is asking what people thought about the seemingly "cheap" way in which one as badass as this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0441.html) was killed.

I'm not entirely sure though

Rad
2007-04-26, 08:56 AM
I think that it was completely regular given the overall style of the comic. Deus ex machina, yes; cheap no.
The resistance of the DK and the luck it had in eliminating everybody make all of it a funny conclusion, then completely licit.

In other words; it was an unexpected help from the sky (literally) but well timed and well built, not a cheap way to move on the story... or at least it was a GOOD way to move on the story.

So, hoping to have gotten the spirit of the question right, I voted for the no, it is not a cheap DeM.

abaddon667
2007-04-26, 09:15 AM
I do think that was a slightly boring dues ex machina. I would have liked to see V attempt hand to hand combat. Wizards can use weapons you know.

Alysar
2007-04-26, 09:19 AM
I vote -zoink-

Morty
2007-04-26, 09:25 AM
Yep, it was cheap deus ex machina. Which was the very point of this.

HomerHT
2007-04-26, 09:31 AM
Deus ex machina, yes. However, it fits the overall "the most humorous situation is the one that will happen" theme of the comic so it's not much of a literally faux pas like it would be if the strip's primary purpose was drama. Like Giant has said, even though there's a very involved storyline, this strip is still a gag comic, which makes DeM a funny and practical tool when used properly.

Alysar
2007-04-26, 10:04 AM
Honestly, it was a Deus ex Machina, but it wasn't a cheap one. It was a very good and well planned Deus Ex Machina.

R2D2 suddenly sprouting rocket jets out of his legs? That was a cheap Deus Ex Machina.

ZeroNumerous
2007-04-26, 10:07 AM
I do think that was a slightly boring dues ex machina. I would have liked to see V attempt hand to hand combat. Wizards can use weapons you know.

No, they can't. They're weak and frail.

R2D2's rocket jets were awesome though. Pretty much the one part of AotC I liked aside from the Clones themselves.

Kaerbek
2007-04-26, 10:08 AM
And I still don't know what Deux Ex Machina means T_T

Could someone please explaint to me? u.u

thnks

ZeroNumerous
2007-04-26, 10:14 AM
It's latin for "God from Machine"

I refer you to the Font of All Knowledge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_Machina).

Felius
2007-04-26, 10:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

Here it is Kaerbek.

And while wizards CAN use weapons (and in the case of V, a longsword and bows as per elf race), that doesn't mean they SHOULD use weapons.

Moechi_Vill
2007-04-26, 11:33 AM
1/3 1/3 1/3... hmmm, lower then usual around here.

*nods on question about OP*

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-04-27, 04:16 PM
zoink

as said before, deux ex machina just for the laugh, any other amount of things more plausible would have been able to finish the knight, but probably in not such a humorous way and just extend a already long plot. So, it's not a deux ex machina used to get out of an impossible situation, but the surpirse of the ending of a joke.

still, i find it quite anticlimatic end for the knight :(

SPoD
2007-04-27, 04:38 PM
Exactly. DExM, yes. Cheap, no. It was funny, and in a comedy piece, being funny is enough reason to do almost anything.

The only reason anyone is harping about it being cheap so many strips later is that they had worked up in their mind that the Death Knight was cool and important, when in fact it turns out he was just there for a joke or two. He wasn't important at all, and Rich only put V in that position the strip before specifically so he could get them out in a funny, unexpected way.

Athenodorus
2007-04-27, 04:43 PM
I see nothing unreasonable about the DM acting to reward a character for a good performance and great roleplaying. ;)

What I want to know is whether or not his familiar is perma-gone, or just back to his invisible until needed state.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-27, 05:19 PM

Well, in theory. In practice, they just die when they attempt hand-to-hand combat. There's a reason they make attacks against touch AC with their spells.

R2D2 suddenly sprouting rocket jets out of his legs? That was a cheap Deus Ex Machina.

Only if it were to resolve the plot.

cheese534
2007-04-27, 05:25 PM
I have no clue what this means, so I vote zoink.

DarkCrystalShard
2007-04-28, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure how to vote. I do think it was Deus ex machina (really, the likelihood of that happening is minuscule beyond belief) but I also loved it. It made me laugh.

I guess -zoink- is a good way to go. *giggle* :smallcool: