PDA

View Full Version : Magic/psionics transparency and feat interactions

Temennigru
2015-06-17, 11:42 AM
Magic/psionics transparency rule states that:

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

If I have a feat that says "whenever you cast a spell", does it trigger when I cast a power?

If I have a feat that uses up spell slots, can I use power points instead (using the 2*level - 1 formula)?

If I use overchannel, can I increase my caster level to improve my spells?

I say this because I'm building a sorcerer/wilder/cerebremancer and I need to know to what extent I can mix my features.

SinsI
2015-06-17, 12:42 PM
No to all.

Transparency refers to the actual effect from psionic/magic, and not to the way you cast/power it up.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-17, 12:57 PM
The base transparency governs the interaction of spells and powers, and mostly means that antimagic and null psionic fields are equivalent, a psionic (erudite's) flesh to stone counters a magic stone to flesh and so on. The Magic mantle (Cpsi) ability contains the sentence "In addition, you always treat magic and psionics as identical", but the context suggests this doesn't go further than regular transparency: "Most campaigns already treat them in this manner, so this mantle is most useful in campaigns where they are considered different systems".