PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hiding from Scent

Bucky
2015-06-17, 01:02 PM
Just from the Scent rules, it looks impossible to sneak past a creature with the Scent ability. If I know I'll need to sneak by one, or Sneak Attack one, are there any ways to hide my scent or keep it from tracking me besides never coming within 30' of it?

Miss Disaster
2015-06-17, 01:19 PM
I've always been a fan of the Dead End spell in the Spell Compendium. My spellcasters have even Heightened the spell in Scent-heavy games/campaigns in order to better neuter (by boosting the save DC) all the Scent-armed creatures that pose threats to the characters.

It's got a terrific duration and protects 1 creature per CL ... meaning you can easily protect your entire party at a fairly low-ish level.

DarkEternal
2015-06-17, 01:33 PM
There are a few alchemical items that make you undetectable by scent, especially in pathfinder. Check the pages for the stuff you can make with alchemy. I'm a bit in a time bind so I can't do it for you, but I'm positive there are a few my roguish character used for exact that purpose. Most of them are like an hour or so in terms of how long they last, but that should be more than enough.

Bucky
2015-06-17, 05:53 PM
Deodorizing Agent?

NightbringerGGZ
2015-06-17, 06:04 PM
A Noble's Pomander (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Pomander%20(mer chant%27s)) (225 GP) will increase the DC to track you by your scent by +5. Keep it sealed in an air tight container, move yourself into a crowd (which should also increase the track DC) and the equip the item. This should make you quite difficult to track down by scent.

Crake
2015-06-17, 11:01 PM
If you're allowed to backport 3.5 material, there's a spell somewhere that completely obfuscates one's scent, i think it's in spell compendium.

Alternatively, the darkstalker feat is designed to allow you to get a hide/move silently check against creatures with scent, and other heightened senses such as blindsense, tremorsense and blindsight

Yanisa
2015-06-17, 11:29 PM
Just from the Scent rules, it looks impossible to sneak past a creature with the Scent ability. If I know I'll need to sneak by one, or Sneak Attack one, are there any ways to hide my scent or keep it from tracking me besides never coming within 30' of it?

Scent is just a +8 on perception. Get your stealth up way high without invisibility.

From the perception skill (www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/perception#TOC-Modifiers).

Creatures with the scent special quality have a +8 bonus on Perception checks made to detect a scent

There is also a quote from James Jacobs (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=198?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#9878) that is relevant. Scent doesn't find creatures automatically, there is still a roll involved.

People who treat Scent as "autodetect anything within 30 feet" aren't reading the rules for scent properly; nowhere in the rules for scent does it say something like "...most kinds of concealment are irrelevaqnt..." like it does for blindsight. It only says "you can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet." The word "automatic" does not appear in there at all. This is not a rules problem as much as people not paying attention to the words or making assumptions about things that aren't really there, I guess. It doesn't even grant any intrinsic bonus to Perception either. It basically just ALLOWS you to roll a Perception check to notice a non-unusually scented creature by smell. None of that would be fixed by a reorganization of the skills system.

Spore
2015-06-17, 11:34 PM
Negate Aroma (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/n/negate-aroma)

Segev
2015-06-18, 11:22 AM
Also 3.5 material, but the Darkstalker feat from Lords of Madness might help.

Miss Disaster
2015-06-18, 11:48 AM
PF's Negate Aroma is a notable power-up from SpC's Dead End. Both being a 1st level spell ....

ShaneMRoth
2015-06-19, 12:08 AM
Would the Pass Without Trace spell work?