PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Fighter (13th Age Inspired) (WIP)

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-17, 02:07 PM
The Fighter

Level

Proficiency
Bonus

Maximum
Escalation

Features

+2
Fighting Talents

+2
Escalation, Primary Maneuver

+2
Martial Maneuver

+2
ASI

+3
Extra Attack

+3
ASI

+3
Martial Maneuver, Reactionary

+3
ASI

+4
Indomitable (one use)

+4
Secondary Maneuver

+4
Martial Maneuver

+4
ASI

+5
Indomitable (two uses)

+5
ASI

+5
Martial Maneuver

+5
ASI

+6
Indomitable (three uses)

+6
Martial Maneuver, Adrenaline Junkie

+6
ASI

+6
Escalation Master

Fighting Talents : Choose three of the following talents.

Champion of War: As a bonus action you may make a weapon attack that deals 1d6 + Escalation die damage. You can not add more damage than your maximum escalation, as shown on the fighter table above. You can not add any special abilities or use maneuvers with this bonus action attack.

Intercepting Tactician: As a reaction, during any part of an enemy movement, you may move up to your speed. You must end your movement closer of the triggering enemy.

Controlling Veteran: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, the target's speed is reduced by 10'. This may be used once per turn.

War Tactician: Choose two Intelligence or Charisma based skills. You gain double your proficiency bonus to these skills. This does not stack with Expertise.

Shifty Veteran: You may move at half speed during your turn in order to not provoke OA.

Athletic Champion: You gain half your max escalation to any untrained physical (Str, Con, Dex) ability check or saving throw. You do not gain this if you add any number of your proficiency bonus to the check or saving throw (such as from Jack of all Trades).

Escalation: As battle rages on your adrenaline rushes faster and stronger than others. You gain a d6, when you roll initiative the die is set at 1, at the end of each of your turns during the battle you add one to the escalation die till the maximum of 6.

To use a maneuver the escalation die must be equal to the maneuver's escalation value (showed below). You may use one maneuver on your turn but the effects can last however long the martial maneuver indicates.

When you use a maneuver you reduce the escalation die by a number equal to the maneuver's escalation value (minimum 0).

If your escalation die is set to 4, you can only use an escalation value maneuver of 4 or lower. If your escalation die is set to 4 and you use a maneuver with a value of 2 then you reduce the die by 2. Any turn in which you initiate a maneuver your escalation die does not increase at the end of your turn.

If you even become incapacitated your escalation value resets to 0.

Primary Maneuver: Choose an escalation (2) maneuver, that maneuver may be used at Escalation (1).

Reactionary: The Fighter may use a number of reaction each round equal to the highest of their Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier (Minimum 1). The Fighter may only use one reaction per turn.

Indomitable: Once per short rest when you fail a saving throw you may reroll the save as a Constitution saving throw. At higher levels you may use this twice and then three times per short rest.

Martial Maneuvers: You build your Fighter by selecting specific maneuvers. You may learn a martial maneuver with an escalation value equal to your maximum escalation found on the fighter table. Some maneuvers are magic while others are not. It is possible to make an Eldritch Knight Swordmage, Battle Master, or Champion depending on what maneuvers you choose.

Secondary Maneuver: You gain a second primary maneuver from the escalation (2) maneuver list.

Adrenaline Junkie: Your escalation increases at the end of your turn even if you use a martial maneuver during that turn. Your escalation no longer resets to 0 if you are incapacitated, instead it is reduced by one at the end of each turns while you are incapacitated until it reaches 0.

Escalation Master: Your escalation increases by 2 each time it would normally increase by 1.

Martial Maneuvers

Quicksilver Strike
Prerequisite: Training in Acrobatics
Choose a target to attack with your weapon, that target takes weapon damage. The target may attempt a Dex save (DC 8 + Prof + Str or Dex Modifier) for half weapon damage.
Hammer Fall
Prerequisite: Training in Athletics
When you hit with a weapon attack you push the creature 10'.
At Higher Escalation: At escalation 4 you may choose one other creature adjacent to the initial target, if your attack roll would beat their AC then they are pushed back 5' (no damage). At escalation 6 you may choose any creatures adjacent to the target, if your attack roll would beat their AC then they are pushed back 10' (no damage).
Intimidating Shout
Prerequisite: Training in Intimidate
When you hit with a weapon attack the next attack against the creature has advantage. Creatures immune or resistant to fear are immune to this effect.
Momentum
Prerequisite: Training in Acrobatics or Athletics
As a reaction whenever you fall you take no damage and land in a cool pose. Also as a reaction as you jump, you may jump 3x your normal jumping distance and you add your strength score to your base movement speed to determine how far you can jump with a single movement.
Bloodletting
Prerequisite: Training in Medicine
When you hit with a weapon attack against a creature, that creature grants critical hits on a roll of 19 - 20 until the end of your next turn. Creatures such as undead and constructs are immune to this effect.
Close Quarters
Prerequisite: Training in Acrobatics
When you hit with a weapon attack against a creature you may move through that creature's space until the end of your next turn.
Lance of Dawn
Prerequisite: Training in Religion
Make a weapon attack against a target within 20' of you, on a hit you deal Radiant damage and push the target 10'. You do not add you modifier to the radiant damage.
Serpentine Lightning Lure
Prerequisite: Training in Arcana or Nature
Make a weapon attack against a target within 20' of you, on a hit you deal lightning damage and pull the target 10'. You do not add you modifier to the lightning damage.
Flame Cyclone
Make a melee weapon attack against each creature adjacent to you. On a hit the creatures takes fire damage and are pushed 5'. You do not add your modifier to the fire damage.

Dimensional Slash
Prerequisite: Training in Arcana and Acrobatics or Athletics
Before you make a melee weapon attack you may teleport a number of feet equal to your base speed to a place adjacent to the target.
Herald Shield
Iron Bulwark
When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack you gain 3d10 Temp HP. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute and do not stack with other forms of Temp HP.
At Higher Escalation: At escalation 6 the temporary HP increases to 4d10.
Moonglow
Prerequisite: Training in Nature
Make a weapon attack against a target within 20' of you. On a hit the target takes radiant damage, you do not add your ability modifier to this damage. All allies adjacent to the target gain 2d8 Temp HP. If you are using a ranged or thrown weapon you may use the long range as the range of this martial maneuver without taking disadvantage on the attack due to long range.
Supremacy of Steel
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack and until the end of your next turn you ignore any resistance or immunity to non-magical weapons.

Calamity
Prerequisite: Training in Acrobatics or Athletics and Nature
Make a weapon attack against a creature. That creature takes damage as normal and you summon frogs to rain down from the sky in a 15' radius surrounding the target until the end of your next turn. The target, and any enemy within 15' of the target that start of their turn, must make a constitution saving throw (DC 8 + Str or Dex + Prof) or be poisoned until the end of their next turn. A creature may only be poisoned once every 24 hours by these frogs.
Hurricane of Blood
Prerequisite: Training in Acrobatics or Athletics and Medicine
Make a weapon attack against a creature. All enemies within 15' of the creature are hit by the blood spurting from the creature and take
Ice Cage
When you hit a creatures with a weapon attack the target takes cold damage and is restrained until the end of your next turn. You do not add your modifier to the cold damage.

Maneuver Suggestion
Acrobatics or Athletics = Battle Master/Champion
Arcana = Swordmage
Nature = Warden
Religion and Acrobatics = Avenger
Religion and Athletics = Crusader

Note: The Escalation Die is from 13th Age, I really wanted to see how it would work in 5e as a Fighter feature.

A Fighter who uses Moonglow while wielding a Greatsword will deal 2d6 Radiant damage against the target. If the Fighter is using a dagger then the damage will be 1d4 Radiant but the Fighter can target a creature up to 60' away. Whenever the Fighter uses a ranged martial maneuver that is magical in nature with a melee, thrown, or ranged weapon they don't actually have to throw or shoot ammunition. They can go through the normal motions of attacking with the weapon and produce the effect.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/betterbleachfanfiction/images/4/4d/Energy_Attack.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120120040210

Numbers need to be changed around (especially to keep up with average damage of other classes) and stuff but the basic idea is that everything is based around weapon attacks (unarmed strike is a weapon attack for this purpose). Even when making an Eldritch Knight Swordmage, their magic will be combined with their martial prowess.

I would like make the escalation system into a casting system eventually.

Ziegander
2015-06-17, 02:21 PM
This is possibly an amazing Fighter rewrite. It is, if nothing else, a superb idea.

PotatoGolem
2015-06-17, 03:49 PM
First off, I agree with Zeigander- this is an awesome idea. I have a couple of issues though. Bear in mind, this is coming as a purely D&D player- if your game group is all 13th Age players, or the campaign is a hybrid of the systems, they may not have the same issues I do.

1) In 5e, all classes have archetypes. This fighter needs some.

2) The escalation die is super confusing. It took me a while of looking at it, but let me see if I have this right: It's a d6, but I never roll it, I just use it to keep track of my resource? And it doesn't actually increase up to 6 until level 18- before that the die can't get to a 6, so it's not really a d6.

Proposed solution: Call it the "escalation count" instead. Cuts out all confusion about this unrollable die and how exactly it functions (assuming my understanding above is correct). You can use a d6 to track it if you want, but that's not really core to what it does. Nothing else in 5e uses dice as counters- when you get a die from something, you roll it.

3) Maneuvers are super limited (and I get that this is probably because it's a WIP). Also, tying it to skill profs is iffy. You only have four skills, maybe one more from your race. You shouldn't have to split those between skills that are actually useful and skills that enable you to pick certain class abilities. The last three aren't even fighter skills. As is, your average fighter will only qualify for two, maybe three, maneuvers.

Also, nothing else in 5e has a skill proficiency requirement.

Solution: More maneuvers, don't make them skill-dependent.

Fyndhal
2015-06-17, 04:01 PM
Intercepting Tactician: As a reaction, during any part of an enemy movement, you may move up to your speed. You must end your movement closer of the triggering enemy.

What is the purpose, other than closing distance? The mob can continue movement and the Fighter cannot use an AoO since they already used their Reaction.

War Tactician: Choose two Intelligence or Charisma based skills. You gain double your proficiency bonus to these skills.

For Multiclassing clarity purposes, you should refer to this as Expertise, as the Rogue ability, unless you intend for players to be able to stack this and Expertise.

I have some concerns about the specific Maneuvers power and the frequency with which they can be used. Being able to knock down an enemy every round while high damage to them is fairly powerful, for example.

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 04:12 PM
Potato:

When you roll initiative the Escalation die is set to 1.

Each turn, at the start of your turn, the Escalation die increases by 1.

So on turn 2 it becomes Escalation 2. On turn 3 it is Escalation 3. It takes 6 turns to reach 6.

When you use a maneuver that costs 1 you reduce the Escalation die by 1. If you use a 2 it drops by 2. All the Maneuvers start at a cost of 2, but your Primary Maneuver has a cost of 1.

At 18 you can make it jump from 1 to 6 instantly, giving you more maneuvers in a fight.

Essentially, they're like Cyan Garamonde from Final Fantasy 6. You have to have time to build up to the awesome stuff.

Ziegander
2015-06-17, 04:55 PM
Essentially, they're like Cyan Garamonde from Final Fantasy 6. You have to have time to build up to the awesome stuff.

Except way more functional while charging up.

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 05:00 PM
True. But I love Cyan.

*swoon*

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-17, 05:01 PM
This is possibly an amazing Fighter rewrite. It is, if nothing else, a superb idea.

:smallredface:

Thank you.

First off, I agree with Zeigander- this is an awesome idea. I have a couple of issues though. Bear in mind, this is coming as a purely D&D player- if your game group is all 13th Age players, or the campaign is a hybrid of the systems, they may not have the same issues I do.

1) In 5e, all classes have archetypes. This fighter needs some.

2) The escalation die is super confusing. It took me a while of looking at it, but let me see if I have this right: It's a d6, but I never roll it, I just use it to keep track of my resource? And it doesn't actually increase up to 6 until level 18- before that the die can't get to a 6, so it's not really a d6.

Proposed solution: Call it the "escalation count" instead. Cuts out all confusion about this unrollable die and how exactly it functions (assuming my understanding above is correct). You can use a d6 to track it if you want, but that's not really core to what it does. Nothing else in 5e uses dice as counters- when you get a die from something, you roll it.

3) Maneuvers are super limited (and I get that this is probably because it's a WIP). Also, tying it to skill profs is iffy. You only have four skills, maybe one more from your race. You shouldn't have to split those between skills that are actually useful and skills that enable you to pick certain class abilities. The last three aren't even fighter skills. As is, your average fighter will only qualify for two, maybe three, maneuvers.

Also, nothing else in 5e has a skill proficiency requirement.

Solution: More maneuvers, don't make them skill-dependent.

1: The martial maneuvers will work as the archetype. You will be able to make your own archetype. From Champion, Paladin, Battle Master, or Eldritch Knight/Swordmage. Plus homebrewing this homebrew will be as easy as adding new maneuvers.

2: Later I'm going to copy some wording from 13th age, I'm sure they do it better. I just need to find my core book. At level 1 you can get a escalation of 6 and then burn off from it but the maximum is 1 when you apply it to features.

3: I know. But between backgrounds, custom backgrounds, and racial skill choices... Getting skills is easy.

It stops the "stupid Fighter who can do magic" issue but doesn't make you boost Int.

Moar maneuvers (and higher level) will come.

What is the purpose, other than closing distance? The mob can continue movement and the Fighter cannot use an AoO since they already used their Reaction.

For Multiclassing clarity purposes, you should refer to this as Expertise, as the Rogue ability, unless you intend for players to be able to stack this and Expertise.

I have some concerns about the specific Maneuvers power and the frequency with which they can be used. Being able to knock down an enemy every round while high damage to them is fairly powerful, for example.

Good point on the reaction use, but will still be useful for mobility purposes. I'll look at it.

Yeah, no stacking expertise.

Knocking a creature down isn't that powerful, though I'm still working on these maneuvers.

Potato:

When you roll initiative the Escalation die is set to 1.

Each turn, at the start of your turn, the Escalation die increases by 1.

So on turn 2 it becomes Escalation 2. On turn 3 it is Escalation 3. It takes 6 turns to reach 6.

When you use a maneuver that costs 1 you reduce the Escalation die by 1. If you use a 2 it drops by 2. All the Maneuvers start at a cost of 2, but your Primary Maneuver has a cost of 1.

At 18 you can make it jump from 1 to 6 instantly, giving you more maneuvers in a fight.

Yeah, this.

+++

I have two ideas.

Either make new maneuvers for higher level or just make a single list of maneuvers that get better the more escalation you use with them.

I'm leaning toward the later. Any ideas?

Ziegander
2015-06-17, 05:18 PM
I have two ideas.

Either make new maneuvers for higher level or just make a single list of maneuvers that get better the more escalation you use with them.

I'm leaning toward the later. Any ideas?

I think you need a little of both. Think of it as brewing one single martial discipline a la Tome of Battle for 3.5. You want a lot of low escalation maneuvers and fewer, tapering off to very few, higher escalation maneuvers, while allowing the lower escalation maneuvers to scale as your escalation increases.

Now, actually, the one thing I'm not sold on is this teeter tottering of escalation as you "spend" it to do stuff. At 20th level you can set your escalation to 6 once per day and pull off a big flashy maneuver on the first turn of combat. Then, afterwards you're right back to where you were 19 levels ago (at least as far as maneuvers go). What's the point of using a powerful maneuver, except as a last resort, if you go back to making basic attacks again right afterward?

The escalation mechanic makes it feel like you're building up, becoming more dangerous as the combat draws on, but if you merely bide your time for three turns, then unleash hell on turn 4, and afterward you're worse off than when you started, something has gotten lost in the translation.

I'm not sure I have any suggestions on how to improve the mechanic, I just wanted to issue some food for the thought.

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 05:26 PM
The Maneuvers aren't enough.

Eldritch Knights gain spellcasting, sure, but they also get the ability to fight while casting, and a variety of spells.

Battlemasters gain a bunch of maneuvers, dice to expend on them, and the ability to recover their dice.

Champions gain increasing crits, self healing, and additional fighting styles.

And all of these things are set progressions that you gain at specific levels, not just a general mechanic any member of the class can take interchangeably.

Archetypes are separate from the core functions of the class, which the Escalation Maneuvers definitely are. That said, there's no reason you HAVE to remake the Battlemaster, EK, or Champ for your class. But it does need archetypes to stand up next to the other 5e classes.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-17, 10:13 PM
I won't be adding subclass/archetypes to this. The maneuvers will be enough. I don't want this to be a Fighter Fix so much as a different Fighter.

My goal for the maneuvers is to be able to make enough where you can make your own archetype.

The magic will connect via weapon attacks and will (hopefully) be diverse enough that you can make whatever you want. When they get extra attack they will be able to maneuver 1/turn and then weapon attack (much like a paladin).

There is no need for me to restrict others into specific choices or whatever. I'll leave that up to the player/DM.

I'll look into the other issues tomorrow :)

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 10:32 PM
A) That's not how the system works. Look at Warlocks with their Pact Boons and Invocations: Those don't contribute enough to be a subclass or archetype of their own.

B) The class needs more options beyond "Wait 2 rounds and use an ability" or "Use the same ability every round". Having the high end option of "Use three to six abilities in a row" only helps at 20 and the class is gonna feel empty until then.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-18, 07:56 AM
A) That's not how the system works. Look at Warlocks with their Pact Boons and Invocations: Those don't contribute enough to be a subclass or archetype of their own.

B) The class needs more options beyond "Wait 2 rounds and use an ability" or "Use the same ability every round". Having the high end option of "Use three to six abilities in a row" only helps at 20 and the class is gonna feel empty until then.

A: Don't care how other classes work. As long as it is mechanically balanced and a player can make whatever archetype they want then I'm good.

Look at the cleric and wizard. They choose a type of cleric or wizard to become but that isn't the real choice of being a evocation wizard or life cleric. Their real choice comes to the type of Spells they routinely cast.

I've seen evocation wizards use utility spells (Web) more often than evocation Spells (burning hands). When they really need to deal damage then they have their backup evocation features to boost them but all the other time they are casting conjuration/transmutation spells. A cleric picks up tempest domain but is mostly casting spiritual weapon, command, and healing word? That is the type of freedom I want to give this class plus more.

B: Yeah this needs other things, I'm not finished with it yet. I need to fix a lot of things but really between feats and maneuvers (DMG + PHB) there are quite a few things the class can do between Martial Maneuvers. Setting up for their next MM via using maneuvers found in the PHB/DMG such as "Climb onto bigger creatures" or shoving creatures. With extra attack they can shove (or other maneuver) + attack or attack + attack + BA attack.

I don't really care for the eldritch knight, this Fighter will have more of a swordmage. I probably shouldnt have been using the term eldritch knight. The difference isn't much but if you look at the 4e swordmage you will see an awesome fighter/wizard type class.

+++

I think you need a little of both. Think of it as brewing one single martial discipline a la Tome of Battle for 3.5. You want a lot of low escalation maneuvers and fewer, tapering off to very few, higher escalation maneuvers, while allowing the lower escalation maneuvers to scale as your escalation increases.

Now, actually, the one thing I'm not sold on is this teeter tottering of escalation as you "spend" it to do stuff. At 20th level you can set your escalation to 6 once per day and pull off a big flashy maneuver on the first turn of combat. Then, afterwards you're right back to where you were 19 levels ago (at least as far as maneuvers go). What's the point of using a powerful maneuver, except as a last resort, if you go back to making basic attacks again right afterward?

The escalation mechanic makes it feel like you're building up, becoming more dangerous as the combat draws on, but if you merely bide your time for three turns, then unleash hell on turn 4, and afterward you're worse off than when you started, something has gotten lost in the translation.

I'm not sure I have any suggestions on how to improve the mechanic, I just wanted to issue some food for the thought.

I changed the capstone, instead of giving you one big boost per day I'm having it bump up your base rate of escalation. This keeps the build up feel of it but makes it very useful.

For now I'm just making Escalation 2, 4, and 6 maneuvers. Two Martial Maneuvers that you know will be primary maneuvers thus costing 1 escalation each time they are used. The others known will cost 2, 4 , and 6.

You will only know one escalation (6) martial maneuver. I put an example of what they may be able to do but they might be a bit weak as of right now.

MoutonRustique
2015-06-28, 07:36 PM
The intent and (most of) the execution is awesome!

There is one (big) flaw : 5E combats don't tend to last over 3 rounds...

My suggestions (which heavily impact the current "vibe" of it - but stays true to the "escalation" paradigm) :
- reduce all the maneuver costs by half (round down)
- don't reduce the escalation when you use a maneuver
- remove the "max escalation"

Result - the fighter just keeps getting better and better. This works in the additional way of really contrasting the class with others whose resources get diminished over a battle.

Obviously adrenaline junkie and escalation master would need to become something else entirely... Perhaps the first could be that you can use two maneuvers with one bonus action but this use reduces the escalation by one (or something) OR it could that you roll the die at the start of combat and the die starts at that value (this has a "gambler/junkie" vibe to it).

Some random escalation things (warning, some are very boring) :
- add the escalation value to all your damage rolls;
- reduce all damage taken by the escalation value;
- you can use your reaction to give the escalation value as a bonus to the damage roll of an ally;
- when the escalation is 6, you can use Action Surge as a free action, reset the escalation to 1;
- when you spend Hit Dice to heal, add the escalation value reached during the last combat to the healing received;
- add the escalation value to your saving throws;
- as a reaction, add the escalation value to an ally's saving throw;
- increase your AC by the escalation value;

*many of these could expend the escalation die when used, and require an action/reaction (a good example would be the AC one)

ThermalSlapShot
2015-06-29, 11:33 AM
The intent and (most of) the execution is awesome!

There is one (big) flaw : 5E combats don't tend to last over 3 rounds...

My suggestions (which heavily impact the current "vibe" of it - but stays true to the "escalation" paradigm) :
- reduce all the maneuver costs by half (round down)
- don't reduce the escalation when you use a maneuver
- remove the "max escalation"

Result - the fighter just keeps getting better and better. This works in the additional way of really contrasting the class with others whose resources get diminished over a battle.

Obviously adrenaline junkie and escalation master would need to become something else entirely... Perhaps the first could be that you can use two maneuvers with one bonus action but this use reduces the escalation by one (or something) OR it could that you roll the die at the start of combat and the die starts at that value (this has a "gambler/junkie" vibe to it).

Some random escalation things (warning, some are very boring) :
- add the escalation value to all your damage rolls;
- reduce all damage taken by the escalation value;
- you can use your reaction to give the escalation value as a bonus to the damage roll of an ally;
- when the escalation is 6, you can use Action Surge as a free action, reset the escalation to 1;
- when you spend Hit Dice to heal, add the escalation value reached during the last combat to the healing received;
- add the escalation value to your saving throws;
- as a reaction, add the escalation value to an ally's saving throw;
- increase your AC by the escalation value;

*many of these could expend the escalation die when used, and require an action/reaction (a good example would be the AC one)

I've been playing since 5e was being playtested and I haven't been in a single combat that didn't last at least 4 rounds unless the DM specifically made them last shorter (usually by making creatures run away when they shouldn't or we get tpk)

And I played in 4 states and with many different DMs.

I'll take a look at the rest of the post after I'm done making lunch, I'm not saying you are wrong in theory, but in practice I have yet to see a 1-3 round battle.

Kinda like in 3e/4e where battles were susposed to take X time but ended up taking X^y time.

Kryx
2015-06-29, 04:50 PM
Encounters in my experience have been decided, if not finished by the end of the 3rd round. The rest is mostly cleanup. If they are lasting longer on average then DMs are using hard/deadly encounters each time. I often do and they're still over just as quick.

I also agree on archetypes.

Plus removing EK from the game is sad. Champion is boring, but EK is awesome.

MoutonRustique
2015-06-29, 10:16 PM
I've been playing since 5e was being playtested and I haven't been in a single combat that didn't last at least 4 rounds unless the DM specifically made them last shorter (usually by making creatures run away when they shouldn't or we get tpk)

And I played in 4 states and with many different DMs.

I'll take a look at the rest of the post after I'm done making lunch, I'm not saying you are wrong in theory, but in practice I have yet to see a 1-3 round battle.

Kinda like in 3e/4e where battles were susposed to take X time but ended up taking X^y time.
I do not doubt your experience - but I must say it is not mine and it is not the vibe I'm getting from ENWorld (don't know this place enough yet to comment - obviously).

Then, I guess a note or comment on required changes based on expected combat length would be appropriate ?

Ralanr
2015-07-01, 09:47 AM
In my experience, encounters don't stay decided until the near the end, which is past round three. I've had DMs who like to throw curveballs when we get complacent (or when we aren't). Like the wizard with stupid good concentration rolls turning into a t-Rex, or the fighter being a half-dragon (we didn't roll perception, though we didn't think we needed to since we looked at the table our opponents were sitting at).

Though it's a different experience, which everyone pretty much has.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-07-30, 03:22 PM
Huh, I didn't get a message that this got commented on. Dang.

I'm focusing my efforts on a different project but I will definitely pick this back up and integrate it into what I'm making (signature link).