PDA

View Full Version : Spheres of Power: Expanded Options

Ssalarn
2015-06-17, 03:11 PM
So, Drop Dead Studios just came out with their "Spheres of Power: Expanded Options" release. I know there's a lot of people here who are really into SoP, and I wrote a couple archetypes for it, so I thought I'd let you know!

Novawurmson
2015-06-17, 03:21 PM
I had trouble finding it, so here's a link (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9es0/discuss?Spheres-of-Power-Expanded-Options#tabs) for those interested.

Are there any new spheres in it?

Ssalarn
2015-06-17, 03:49 PM
I had trouble finding it, so here's a link (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9es0/discuss?Spheres-of-Power-Expanded-Options#tabs) for those interested.

Are there any new spheres in it?

No, it's primarily archetypes for all of the CRB, APG, UM, and ACG casting classes, as well as multiple archetypes for all the SoP classes, as well as FCBs for all the core races and a few others (orcs, merfolk, goblins, aasimar, and tieflings). (Thanks for the link btw, wasn't sure about GitP's rules on me linking to product pages for stuff I wrote for).

Mehangel
2015-06-17, 04:11 PM
I just wanted to say that I downloaded the pdf, and I find that the most I will probably get from the book are the favored class racial bonuses. I will also of-course utilize the sphere conversions of the base classes aswell, but I found most of the archetypes for the Spheres of Power classes unappealing. The Symbiotic Knight archetype for the Armorist is a decent replacement for the Aegis however. But in general, either the trade-outs weren't very appealing, or they did not make much sense to me.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-17, 04:13 PM
For those who've looked at the racial FCBs: Are they balanced? Or are they more akin to the FCBs that Paizo created, where certain races are head-and-shoulders above others in certain classes (*cough* human sorcerer *cough*)? I'm not paying five dollars for something that makes it harder for me to enjoy the game.

(Thanks for the link btw, wasn't sure about GitP's rules on me linking to product pages for stuff I wrote for).

I think it's discouraged because it counts as advertising.

Mehangel
2015-06-17, 04:21 PM
For those who've looked at the racial FCBs: Are they balanced? Or are they more akin to the FCBs that Paizo created, where certain races are head-and-shoulders above others in certain classes (*cough* human sorcerer *cough*)? I'm not paying five dollars for something that makes it harder for me to enjoy the game.

I would probably say that many of them are on-par with what paizo offers for favored class racial bonuses. However, some pop out to me as awesome, for example a human fey-adept gains the ability to increase the hit point total of the objects it creates.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-17, 04:37 PM
I would probably say that many of them are on-par with what paizo offers for favored class racial bonuses. However, some pop out to me as awesome, for example a human fey-adept gains the ability to increase the hit point total of the objects it creates.

Ech. Some races being better choices than others = bad for game diversity. There's already enough of that with ability modifiers (thankfully, some of the SoP classes let you pick your casting stat), but racial FCBs make it even worse (seriously, who thought giving humans twenty free spells was a good idea???).

Ssalarn
2015-06-17, 04:43 PM
My wife had a lot of fun playing the Synapse, a Symbiat archetype that gets Warp instead of Telekinesis and eventually gains the ability to convert itself into pure mental energy and teleport inside a foe to wear them magic jar style.

The FCBs, imho, are all pretty well balanced, and do a good job of boosting thematically appropriate mechanics in interesting ways. I don't think an of them are as bad as getting 20 extra spells on a limited spell choice class.

Pyromancer999
2015-06-17, 08:23 PM
So, is the Sphere Magus now better than the Sphere Sorcerer, or am I misreading something?

Because both end up with Spell pools that are 1.5xClass Level + Casting modifier(although at 4th level for Magus), and the modified class features feel like they're a lot better than a Sphere Specialization.