PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Goblin PC Balancing.

Snig
2015-06-17, 03:26 PM
Hey guys i'm trying to play a goblin PC and i've found afew different homebrew's already completed. I am asking you guys to help me tweak it and balance it. I plan on playing a Goblin Ranger (Wolf Rider), so I was drawn to the Forest Goblin sub-race I found in this homebrew below

The Animal Kinship in particular seems poorly implemented (what happens when your mount dies?), so I was looking for other ideas / racials that would help support the Forest Goblin's kinship with wolf mounts. Also curious about the other racials and how fitting you guys think they are?

Goblin Traits

Ability Score Increase
Your Dexterity Score is increased by 2.

Size
Small

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You are a bit faster than other small humanoids.

Languages
Common / Goblin

Dark Vision
You are used to crawling around in dark tunnels and navigating dark forests in the dim of night, giving you superior vision in the darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were in bright light and in darkness as if it were in tim light. You can't discern colors in darkness, only shades of black and white.

Nimble Step
Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.

Sneaky
You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Goblin Subraces

Goblin have a number of subraces. Choose one of the following Goblin subraces.

Forest Goblins
As a forest goblin, you are at home in the deep woods, whether they be a temperate forest, a sweltering jungle or a dank swamp. Although primitive, you can survive among the many larger and more menacing creatures by your unique kinship with the beasts that also call these places home.

Forest goblins tend towards greener skin and larger ears and noses. They tend to have thin, scraggly black hair and many tribal tattoos. They are usually dressed in the hides of animals that served as previous meals and might wear bones as jewelry. Forest goblins are particularly famous for their fearsome wolf riders and their powerful shamans and druids.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your Wisdom score is increased by 1.

Animal Kinship: You can use Wisdom (Animal Handling) on wild animals as if they were domesticated animals, calming them, controlling them or keeping them as pets. You are also Proficient with one unusual mount of your choice with an CR no greater than 1/2 such a a wolf, black bear, panther, giant spider, giant bat, etc. You obtain this animal at character creation for a cost of 100gp.

Primitive Weapon Training: You have proficiency with whips, short bows and nets. In addition, when you make attacks with basic spears deal 1 additional damage.

Hill Goblins
As a hill goblin, you probably live under the foot or even the heel of another humanoid race. Perhaps you grew up as a slave, perhaps you grew up in the city hidden away in the abandoned structures, alleys or sewers. Or maybe you grew up as a highway bandit. Your life has been one of hiding and slipping out of the grasp of people bigger and stronger than you. You avoid fights unless you outnumber your opponents and at which time you excel at ganging up to beat and rob them.

Hill goblins usually have yellow or orange skin with small pug like noses. They usually have thick reddish brown or black hair and bright red or yellow eyes. They usually dress in scavenged clothing designed for other races and crudely modified to fit their bodies. Despite living in fear of larger races, who constantly seem to seek to slay or enslave them, they also the most open to interacting with other races in a non-combative way—most goblins who work alongside other races are hill goblins.

Ability Score Adjustments: Your Charisma score is increased by 1.

Slippery: You have advantage on Dexterity checks or saving throws to escape grapples, restraints or attacks that impede your movement.

Mob Tactics: You may reroll 1s on your attack and damage rolls when you make an attack against a creature that is engaged in melee combat with another creature.

I will be playing a forest goblin

mictrepanier
2015-06-17, 06:02 PM
Hill goblin: reroll 1s is too much, since goblins may cast a lot of d4,d6,d8 and it is a high probability. Reroll 1s on attacks and saves, not abilities with an ally nearby may be good

here is my goblin (i don't have 2 subraces)

Goblin Traits

Ability Score Increase -The goblin gain +2 in Dx and +1 in 2 other abilities
Age -The goblin can live up to fifty years of age.
Average Height-A goblin's average height is three to four feet tall.
Average Weight-The average weight for a goblin is forty to fifty-five pounds.
Size-Small
Speed-Base walking speed is 30’
Languages-The goblin can speak both goblin and common.
Darkvision-The goblin can see in darkness as if it were daylight up to sixty feet.

Stealthy-The goblin gains proficiency with all stealth checks

Slippery: You have advantage on Dexterity checks or saving throws to escape grapples, restraints or attacks (mundane and magical) that impede your movement.
Nimble Step: Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 02:27 PM
Hey guys i'm trying to play a goblin PC and i've found afew different homebrew's already completed. I am asking you guys to help me tweak it and balance it. I plan on playing a Goblin Ranger (Wolf Rider), so I was drawn to the Forest Goblin sub-race I found in this homebrew below

The Animal Kinship in particular seems poorly implemented (what happens when your mount dies?), so I was looking for other ideas / racials that would help support the Forest Goblin's kinship with wolf mounts. Also curious about the other racials and how fitting you guys think they are?

Goblin Traits

Ability Score Increase
Your Dexterity Score is increased by 2.

Size
Small

Speed
Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You are a bit faster than other small humanoids.

Languages
Common / Goblin

Dark Vision
You are used to crawling around in dark tunnels and navigating dark forests in the dim of night, giving you superior vision in the darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were in bright light and in darkness as if it were in tim light. You can't discern colors in darkness, only shades of black and white.

Nimble Step
Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.

Sneaky
You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Goblin Subraces

Goblin have a number of subraces. Choose one of the following Goblin subraces.

Forest Goblins
As a forest goblin, you are at home in the deep woods, whether they be a temperate forest, a sweltering jungle or a dank swamp. Although primitive, you can survive among the many larger and more menacing creatures by your unique kinship with the beasts that also call these places home.

Forest goblins tend towards greener skin and larger ears and noses. They tend to have thin, scraggly black hair and many tribal tattoos. They are usually dressed in the hides of animals that served as previous meals and might wear bones as jewelry. Forest goblins are particularly famous for their fearsome wolf riders and their powerful shamans and druids.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your Wisdom score is increased by 1.

Animal Kinship: You can use Wisdom (Animal Handling) on wild animals as if they were domesticated animals, calming them, controlling them or keeping them as pets. You are also Proficient with one unusual mount of your choice with an CR no greater than 1/2 such a a wolf, black bear, panther, giant spider, giant bat, etc. You obtain this animal at character creation for a cost of 100gp.

Primitive Weapon Training: You have proficiency with whips, short bows and nets. In addition, when you make attacks with basic spears deal 1 additional damage.

Hill Goblins
As a hill goblin, you probably live under the foot or even the heel of another humanoid race. Perhaps you grew up as a slave, perhaps you grew up in the city hidden away in the abandoned structures, alleys or sewers. Or maybe you grew up as a highway bandit. Your life has been one of hiding and slipping out of the grasp of people bigger and stronger than you. You avoid fights unless you outnumber your opponents and at which time you excel at ganging up to beat and rob them.

Hill goblins usually have yellow or orange skin with small pug like noses. They usually have thick reddish brown or black hair and bright red or yellow eyes. They usually dress in scavenged clothing designed for other races and crudely modified to fit their bodies. Despite living in fear of larger races, who constantly seem to seek to slay or enslave them, they also the most open to interacting with other races in a non-combative way—most goblins who work alongside other races are hill goblins.

Ability Score Adjustments: Your Charisma score is increased by 1.

Slippery: You have advantage on Dexterity checks or saving throws to escape grapples, restraints or attacks that impede your movement.

Mob Tactics: You may reroll 1s on your attack and damage rolls when you make an attack against a creature that is engaged in melee combat with another creature.

I will be playing a forest goblin

I agree that rerolling 1s is too much. I also think that 100gp is too expensive. I would say that they just get it, but they can't use it as a mount until the either make a saddle, or buy an exotic saddle.

Snig
2015-06-19, 05:30 PM
Would giving Goblins the Mounted Combat feat as a racial be grossly overpowered / unbalanced?

JNAProductions
2015-06-19, 05:35 PM
Yeah. That's equal to another +2 ASI.

But if it's instead of +2 Dex, might work.

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 05:43 PM
Yeah. That's equal to another +2 ASI.

But if it's instead of +2 Dex, might work.

I agree with JNAProductions. When building a race, it's best to stay away from giving them feats as racial traits.
1) Because it *is* equal to another +2 ASI
2) Some DMs don't like the feat rule, because they feel that it makes PCs too OP. Giving one to a race without it being a variant rule undermines the DMs ability to build their world and playstyle that they want their world to accommodate.

Snig
2015-06-21, 10:38 PM
ok I did some more tweaking and I used this guide to 5e Guide to Homebrewing Races

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

Using this guide I created a Goblin that if i'm not mistaken has a racial score of 5.5, which seems to be well in line with the other races. Lemme know what you think.

Race: Goblin
- Dexterity +2
- Size: Small
- Speed: 30ft
- Darkvision 60ft
- Nimble Escape: Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.
- Cunning Sneak: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
- Languages: Common, Goblin

Subrace: Forest Goblin
- Wisdom +1
- Wolf Riders : You have advantage on all
Wisdom (Animal Handling) checks related to wolves and worgs. If used as a mount they are considered trained for this purpose.
- Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

DracoKnight
2015-06-22, 11:28 AM
ok I did some more tweaking and I used this guide to 5e Guide to Homebrewing Races

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

Using this guide I created a Goblin that if i'm not mistaken has a racial score of 5.5, which seems to be well in line with the other races. Lemme know what you think.

Race: Goblin
- Dexterity +2
- Size: Small
- Speed: 30ft
- Darkvision 60ft
- Nimble Escape: Opportunity attacks made against you are made with disadvantage.
- Cunning Sneak: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
- Languages: Common, Goblin

Subrace: Forest Goblin
- Wisdom +1
- Wolf Riders : You have advantage on all
Wisdom (Animal Handling) checks related to wolves and worgs. If used as a mount they are considered trained for this purpose.
- Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Seems decent :)

Snig
2015-06-22, 01:23 PM
My DM was concerned that nimble escape was op and suggested we limit it to once per short rest?

I personally don't see it as op considering they don't really have much else aside from mask if the wild?

What do you think?

DracoKnight
2015-06-22, 01:49 PM
My DM was concerned that nimble escape was op and suggested we limit it to once per short rest?

I personally don't see it as op considering they don't really have much else aside from mask if the wild?

What do you think?

If you take away Mask of the Wild, it should be fine. If you leave Mask of the Wild, I would reword it - so that they don't get disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you, but maybe that opportunity attacks against you don't get advantage.