PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What's your favorite use of spells on your days off?

Darkweave31
2015-06-17, 07:04 PM
So your character has some downtime from their life of adventure and have decided to put some spell slots to good use. What sort of reality bending do you indulge in to entertain yourself?

Do you use suggestion to finally get the rogue to confess their crush on the paladin in an amusingly elaborate way? Or perhaps make an archway in an inconvenient wall with illusion magic? Or maybe scry location to watch your university teams compete? Invite as many homeless as you can to a Heroes' Feast? Cast invisibility on a 4-sided dice and "misplace" it on the floor? Unseen servant + illusion maid cafe?

Mostly just a fun question. I look forward to your antics!

The Evil DM
2015-06-17, 07:27 PM
I like to use the 2nd ed spell Bigby's Feeling Fingers (http://www.geocities.ws/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/7034/bigbyfeelingfingers.html) to search bar wenches for secrets.

Necroticplague
2015-06-17, 07:31 PM
I spend my day at both of my spellbooks, my real one, and my fake one. Hardness is cast on both until they end up harder than solid magic-treated obdurium. And the fake one has one sentence written into it, over and over.

"Guess who knows Explosive Runes?"

heavyfuel
2015-06-17, 07:40 PM
I like to use the 2nd ed spell Bigby's Feeling Fingers (http://www.geocities.ws/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/7034/bigbyfeelingfingers.html) to search bar wenches for secrets.

Is this third party? Cuz it's might bonkers this spell! Can you say "Who needs a freaking rogue" fast enough?

The Evil DM
2015-06-17, 07:43 PM
Is this third party? Cuz it's might bonkers this spell! Can you say "Who needs a freaking rogue" fast enough?

Its 2nd ed TSR Greyhawk Campaign Setting.

I don't give a damn about secret doors. I want to find the hidden button that unlocks the chastity belt.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-06-17, 07:47 PM
I like to stockpile on meta-magicked Fire Shurikens.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-17, 08:33 PM
Long duration spells. Nystul's Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm), so none of your gear registers as magical. Deeper Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm), so you've always got a source of concealment handy. Augment Object (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook) to double the hardness of all your damageable items and keep them from being sundered. Build up a Goodberry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/goodberry.htm) stock so your friends can carry a supply of food and healing with them. Create Ironwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm) and use Wood Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/woodShape.htm) to make free +1 plate armor and shields. Apply Shrink Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm) to bulky "just in case" items, such as a rowboat (created via Wood Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/woodShape.htm)), a bonfire, and the equivalent to Blockade (Complete Scoundrel, page 95) except you can carry around those shrunken 3.75" blocks (½ lb. each) and chuck them around without needing to cast a new spell — and they're permanent once unshrunk, rather than only around for 3 rounds. (The Druid does need to build each 1-ton 5' cube in pieces and hammer in a bunch of pegs to hold them together, but we're talking about just a standard action to reshape a chunk of fallen tree so there's plenty of time left over for assembly.) There's a lot that can be accomplished with a Druid casting Wood Shape and a Sorcerer/Wizard using Shrink Item on the results.

Venger
2015-06-17, 08:36 PM
it's hard to go wrong with plain old fabricate. sky's the limit.

I like clothier's closet, especially if you have the actual dragonmark. permanent clothes. very fun.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-17, 08:53 PM
Actually, no, the sky's not the limit. The "material of one sort" restriction is the limit. You want armor? You need steel, but you also need cotton (padding), leather (laces), brass (rivets, grommets), and other materials. Very few items are made of just one sort of material.

Fabricate, more often that not, is a big disappointment.

Venger
2015-06-17, 08:55 PM
Actually, no, the sky's not the limit. The "material of one sort" restriction is the limit. You want armor? You need steel, but you also need cotton (padding), leather (laces), brass (rivets, grommets), and other materials. Very few items are made of just one sort of material.

while you're undoubtedly right about trying to do anything useful, I was under the impression we were just talking about spells to hang out and waste time during your campaign's filler eps while other members are crafting or what have you. I figured you'd use it to build corn mazes or tree houses or other whimsical bits of puffery rather than practical equipment.

heavyfuel
2015-06-17, 09:01 PM

I like clothier's closet, especially if you have the actual dragonmark. permanent clothes. very fun.

You're both wrong. The Close range in the limit. At level 20 that 75ft, not even close enough to reach what most people consider to be the sky

Venger
2015-06-17, 09:05 PM
You're both wrong.
are you- (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm)

The Close range in the limit. At level 20 that 75ft, not even close enough to reach what most people consider to be the sky

you got me. good one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm)

Crake
2015-06-17, 10:26 PM
Curmudgeon, ever the grinch.

I'm actually also quite fond of fabricate. What I do with it depends highly on the character I'm playing, whether it's applying the fine touches to the architecture on my wizard's tower, or crafting masterwork outfits for my sorceress, or anything in between.

As a DM, I allowed a character to make spell storing ammunition, so what that character spent most of their days-off spells on was putting fell drain shocks into her bullets so they would deal an additional 10d6 damage and a negative level each time she shot someone with them. She also made tiny holy anarchic guns for her coure eladrin familiar and little gloves of the balanced hand, so her little fairy familiar went around dual wielding pistols and shooting up all the devils she could find :smalltongue:

Terazul
2015-06-17, 10:38 PM
I mostly used Wall of Stone + Fabricate to leave statues of myself whenever we camped and I had slots left.

ShaneMRoth
2015-06-17, 10:52 PM
In my experience, a character can always find some use for another object with Continual Flame cast upon it.

atemu1234
2015-06-17, 11:09 PM
I like to use it for Crafting (we once played a LotR themed game, I played a Grey Elf Artificer // Martial Wizard (I abused DCFS a bit, but it was High-OP already) (guess who I was imitating)). Your party always needs new/better stuff.

I like to use it as a chance to fix the security on the castle I built (with Fabricate!). Using Greater Invisibility, Teleport and a Bag of Holding to stock up on bodies for animating can be useful.

I also like to use Shapechange and Glibness to convince local Kobolds I am a dragon, and to worship me. You know, the simple things in life.

I also like having a Clockwork Army from Item Creation (or use Simulacrum to make copies of myself) to guard everything.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-17, 11:38 PM
Hmmm the Fabricate spell says that it can convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material.

Is material a defined in game term?

I've got a big block of protons and electrons and neutrons. Those are materials rights? Is there RAW saying that fabricate can't turn one sort of atom into another sort of atom as long as I provide enough subatomic material?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-18, 12:22 AM
I've got a big block of protons and electrons and neutrons. Those are materials rights?
No, not in D&D. D&D doesn't have atoms or subatomic particles. It doesn't have hydrogen or oxygen or nitrogen; it does have water and air. Fabricate will let you turn wool from a sheep into a sweater without needing to go through the tedious spinning and knitting steps, which is pretty nifty.

marphod
2015-06-18, 12:23 AM

Eh. I've got time.

There is no need for grommets or rivets; I'm using magic to create this and do all my welding for me, so there is no need to reinforce any attachments.

Wall of Iron creates 25 cubic inches of iron per caster level, or approximately 7.25 lbs of iron per caster level. At 20th level, that's about enough iron for 5 Breastplates (30 lbs each, but they aren't all iron). Cast Wall of Stone in a graphite-heavy area, or Major Creation with some charcoal (or any other way to get a lot of carbon), and Summon an Elder Fire Elemental to consume the carbon-heavy material and smelt the iron into steel.

One casting of Fabricate turns that into the metalwork for the 5 breastplates. (or cast Wall of Iron and Wall of Stone a bunch of times; each cubic foot of Steel makes 15 breastplates, and you can do a cubic foot per caster level.)

Get a Cleric or Druid Cohort. Have them use Planar Ally to summon in a Celestial Sheep. All you need to do is get it to agree to stand still. Get an Unseen Servant to sheer the sheep, then have your cohort cast Regenerate. Repeat every 3+2d10 rounds.

Use Fabricate to turn your loose wool into wool woven fabric and wool stuffed padding. (You might need another wall of stone here, to compress the wool; OTOH, it shouldn't be over 200 cubic feet even loose).

The leather is possibly the hardest part. If Celestial Wool doesn't have sufficient sheer strength to replace the leather straps (and it really should, given it is the stuff of the Golden Fleece), you're going to need to to find a way to get a lot of leather quick.

The easiest way is probably using Wall of Stone, Stone Shape, and Flesh to Stone to create a bunch of hides, and use the waste heat from the aforementioned Elder Fire Elemental-slash-smelter to boil off the water from pots filled with ocean water. Salt the hides, and let them tan naturally.

After your next adventure, the hides should be tanned and you can then use fabricate to turn them into the lacing and straps you need.

Another few unseen servants, and you've got your assembled breastplates.

(I totally didn't just spend half an hour putting this together. Really.)

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-18, 02:00 AM
No, not in D&D. D&D doesn't have atoms or subatomic particles. It doesn't have hydrogen or oxygen or nitrogen; it does have water and air. Fabricate will let you turn wool from a sheep into a sweater without needing to go through the tedious spinning and knitting steps, which is pretty nifty.

Don't we default to real world definitions in D&D when terms aren't explicitly defined?

I don't believe matter is explicitly defined in D&D so we must default to the RL atomic model right?

Or is there a specific ruling that says there aren't atoms in D&D...

khadgar567
2015-06-18, 02:50 AM
charm person( and maybe permancy) and any spell creates fake gold then of to the red light district to get some houri love

Sith_Happens
2015-06-18, 03:03 AM
I don't believe matter is explicitly defined in D&D so we must default to the RL atomic model right?

Check out the "Planes" section of the DMG.

paranoidbox
2015-06-18, 03:27 AM

If downtime means that your characters are near or in a settlement, why are you making a point out of needing these raw materials?

"DM, my character buys the raw materials needed to make 5 full plates." That's it. Or if you really want to scavenge them, I guess, you could make a list of everything you need, but I only see that bogging down your game.

As for my suggestion of what to do during downtime: Nchaser's glowing orb. Sure you need a high quality glass sphere, but that's what fabricate is for, right? :D

Milo v3
2015-06-18, 03:29 AM
If downtime means that your characters are near or in a settlement, why are you making a point out of needing these raw materials?

"DM, my character buys the raw materials needed to make 5 full plates." That's it. Or if you really want to scavenge them, I guess, you could make a list of everything you need, but I only see that bogging down your game.

As for my suggestion of what to do during downtime: Nchaser's glowing orb. Sure you need a high quality glass sphere, but that's what fabricate is for, right? :D

The issue being raised what that it only affects a single type of material, and most objects are made from multiple types of materials.

ShaneMRoth
2015-06-18, 03:34 AM
Cast Greater Invisibility on your house cat (not a familiar, just a normal house cat.)

Throw cat toys on the floor.

Enjoy.

paranoidbox
2015-06-18, 04:19 AM
The issue being raised what that it only affects a single type of material, and most objects are made from multiple types of materials.

Yes, I see, my mistake. However, seeing as it's a 5th level slot that's clearly just poor wording (I know, I know, it's *RAW*), because practically nothing is made out of one material. I mean, even sweaters have stitching.

Ah well.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-18, 05:08 AM
0. (Ab)Use crafting rules to create fun and/or useful magical items (step 0 because I do it in the Far Realm, so it doesn't actually require time).
1. Find non-hostile spellcasters or scrolls.
2. Learn more spells from said spellcasters and scrolls.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until time, gold and/or available spells = 0.
4. If I still have some time left, reinforce my invisible stronghold made of invisible iron and stone.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-18, 06:46 AM
Given that the target of fabricate is "cubic feet/level," not "one chunk of material," I would argue that you could have multiple different substances in the pile you're transmuting, each one being converted into a finished product (that happen to be pieces of a larger whole).

Anyway... unseen servant + programmed image + minor creation to have beautiful servants bring me food and drink while they fan me with grape leaves? Plane shift over to one of the heavens for an afternoon? Cast death ward and summon a succubus?

TheNivMizzet
2015-06-18, 06:58 AM
Anyway... unseen servant + programmed image + minor creation to have beautiful servants bring me food and drink while they fan me with grape leaves? Plane shift over to one of the heavens for an afternoon? Cast death ward and summon a succubus?

I'll second the death ward + succubus. Also my favorite spells to use are a mixture of charm/dominate/suggestion to spread the word of my awesome adventure. It guarantees adventure hooks later and when I'm meeting royalty or guild masters they better have heard of me. On the other hand, making our magical fortress better is another huge deal, and being the primary spellcaster it falls to me to bind creatures to protect it, drop several hundred illusions on the place to stop the more mundane enemies and use pit falls + antimagic field and other nefarious means of preventing other spellcaster shenanigans.

khadgar567
2015-06-18, 07:01 AM
well my personal choice same as my previous one charm person, some spell that creates fake gold, geass( you are my obedient slave who fulfill my any order willingly), go to red light district to find some servants, cast geass on them and pay with fake gold with contingency mind rape to made them forget they sell their best girls to me, if slot remaining or some of them casters cast demi plane on my self to hide.

after that you can call me Hugh Hefner

paranoidbox
2015-06-18, 09:56 AM
well my personal choice same as my previous one charm person, some spell that creates fake gold, geass( you are my obedient slave who fulfill my any order willingly), go to red light district to find some servants, cast geass on them and pay with fake gold with contingency mind rape to made them forget they sell their best girls to me, if slot remaining or some of them casters cast demi plane on my self to hide.

If they've forgotten that they sold you their best girls, wouldn't you be in trouble once they notice the girls missing? ;-)

khadgar567
2015-06-18, 10:09 AM
If they've forgotten that they sold you their best girls, wouldn't you be in trouble once they notice the girls missing? ;-)
that's why mind rape forget is ( probably energy substitution positive to be safe) so when they became aware that their main cash cow gone boom they forget the girl completely( and the best thing is there isn't mental scar to heal so no plot hook about girls gone missing) muhahahahaa.

paranoidbox
2015-06-18, 12:38 PM
that's why mind rape forget is ( probably energy substitution positive to be safe) so when they became aware that their main cash cow gone boom they forget the girl completely( and the best thing is there isn't mental scar to heal so no plot hook about girls gone missing) muhahahahaa.

Hm, alright. It's definitely icky territory, so we tend to not play these types of scenarios. Thanks for answering though.

khadgar567
2015-06-18, 12:41 PM
Hm, alright. It's definitely icky territory, so we tend to not play these types of scenarios. Thanks for answering though.
no problem

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-18, 01:01 PM

Thaaat's utterly horrifying. Please never enter one of my games except as the villain.

Necroticplague
2015-06-18, 01:13 PM
A somewhat more mundane use of extra spell slots: Selling spellcasting services. Not the most interesting or available, but earning a bit of extra pocket change is never a bad thing.

khadgar567
2015-06-18, 01:15 PM
Thaaat's utterly horrifying. Please never enter one of my games except as the villain.
if you require it here is your villain just pm me the requirements and I hook you a BBEG in a week

Hiro Quester
2015-06-18, 02:18 PM
My Druid makes goodberries.

I also go into the woods using find animals and plants to collect herbs, and to find targets for casting fascinate animals, charm animals, and a good supply of nuts and berries, with Wild Empathy checks to make new animal friends. (I'm developing a network of "little birds" to keep an eye on the local comings and goings, and to inform me about new people, unusual creatures, etc.)

I also "whittle" with wood shape to adjust small trees into interesting and useful shapes, such as ideal nesting sites for birds I want to give homes to; hollows for squirrels to make homes in, branches that grow together into a natural tree house platform for the local village's kids to play in, and shaping saplings into natural chairs near campsites, like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1f/41/17/1f41171149b924140bda9a1aff160f65.jpg

I also regularly cast plant growth on the local community's farms and vegetable gardens (in exchange for a share of the crop).

I also once had a competition with another Druid (while traveling aboard a pair of ships) to pull a prank using an entangle spell in a creative way. Mine involved creating a humbling experience for nobles and other folks who think too highly of themselves eating laxative-enhanced venison stew, while entangle prevented them from getting to the "head". The captain was not amused. The crew (who were often rudely treated by those nobles) was, though; they ate from a different pot of stew. I also used a potion of glibness to convince many people that it was the other druid who was responsible.

Sith_Happens
2015-06-19, 02:51 AM
Thaaat's utterly horrifying.

Even worse, it's horribly inefficient.:smalltongue:

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 03:11 AM
Even worse, it's horribly inefficient.:smalltongue:
aaa how you can boost it more each day you gain 5 more chicks in your harem demiplane
I don't know any thing in optimization so if you explain the problem and possible answers I really appropriate that

Milo v3
2015-06-19, 03:20 AM
aaa how you can boost it more each day you gain 5 more chicks in your harem demiplane
I don't know any thing in optimization so if you explain the problem and possible answers I really appropriate that

Idk why you don't just get profession (Sleaze), no magic required and ridiculously easy to optimize.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-19, 03:21 AM

Your nefarious 17th level scheme involves using a contingent 9th spell (7650 gp to craft) and a 6th level spell to avoid spendinc about a couple of dozens gp on some prostitutes. It's like going on a killing spree at the city's doors because you don't want to pay the 2 sp fee to enter. A reasonable alternative would be to buy the girls for a couple hundreds gp: this saves you several thousands gp and reduces the yuck factor.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 03:26 AM
Your nefarious 17th level scheme involves using a contingent 9th spell (7650 gp to craft) and a 6th level spell to avoid spendinc about a couple of dozens gp on some prostitutes. It's like going on a killing spree at the city's doors because you don't want to pay the 2 sp fee to enter. A reasonable alternative would be to buy the girls for a couple hundreds gp: this saves you several thousands gp and reduces the yuck factor.
well that more of a instant build so its okay to have lot of mistakes in it

edit if you make more efficient version or properly made a build with this as focus I like to see

Milo v3
2015-06-19, 03:39 AM

edit if you make more efficient version or properly made a build with this as focus I like to see

Just take a single level of thrallherd. Done.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 03:44 AM
Just take a single level of thrallherd. Done.
can you made a full build to it so I can better understand my idea
with warlock as main class

Milo v3
2015-06-19, 03:54 AM

Thrallherd is a psionic prestige class that gives you a giant number of mind-controlled slaves that do anything you say, and even if they die, new people become mind-controlled to your will. I don't think warlocks have any way of entering it. A full build isn't really necessary since it's really simplistic, just meet the prerequisites, and then take one level in the PrC.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 04:00 AM
Thrallherd is a psionic prestige class that gives you a giant number of mind-controlled slaves that do anything you say, and even if they die, new people become mind-controlled to your will. I don't think warlocks have any way of entering it. A full build isn't really necessary since it's really simplistic, just meet the prerequisites, and then take one level in the PrC.
then what class I need one level dip to best gain the requirements with out losing levels for my main class

Uncle Pine
2015-06-19, 04:03 AM

Telepath 1/Warlock 4/Thrallherd 1. Take Practiced Manifester at 1st level.
Warlock 2/Telepath 1/Warlock +2/Thrallherd 1 saves you some skill points, but you have to take Practiced Manifester as your 3rd level feat.

Or you can just go Warlock 6 and take Leadership. It's essentially the same thing.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 04:08 AM
Telepath 1/Warlock 4/Thrallherd 1. Take Practiced Manifester at 1st level.

I think I go with this because I have a prc that gives class levels equal to character level so I can make some thing like
Telepath 1/Warlock 4/Thrallherd 1/warlock x( 9)/ eldricth harbinger 5( which turn trallheard to 20 level instead of level 1)
which gives tons of chicks as folower

edit
eldricth harbinger 5 is a home brew prc for warlock so if you want to comment or help or see pm me

anti-ninja
2015-06-19, 06:57 AM
lesser planer ally me bodyguard as I go into the ghetto with 3 barrels of bread,once there convince the person who runs an orphanage to let me preach there and feed the children ,and if any convert I will take them of here hands.BY the next day I already have them reciting creepy prayers to wee jas:smallcool:.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 07:06 AM
lesser planer ally me bodyguard as I go into the ghetto with 3 barrels of bread,once there convince the person who runs an orphanage to let me preach there and feed the children ,and if any convert I will take them of here hands.BY the next day I already have them reciting creepy prayers to wee jas:smallcool:.
well at least I grab any chicks grown not the kids
damn we need a evil ideas treat for people need BBEG for their games

Darkweave31
2015-06-19, 07:28 AM
Some good ideas coming out... except the sex trafficking, that's bad and you should feel bad.

That's the kind of wizard that gets imprisoned in my dead magic demiplane prison. Rather easily too considering how poorly he, I assume, covered his tracks. What happens when the regulars ask for the girls? What about the other girls that notice their fellow gets sold and the owner doesn't even remember? As for the thrallherd idea, what about their friends or family that notice they suddenly wander off, never to return? All I need is the name/description of one girl, she's wished to me, tells me some defining features (or a name if he's really stupid) and the wizard is targeted by a couple thousand irresistible wish spells placing him atop an earthbound irresistible imprisonment (cast using initiate of mystra) on a dead magic demiplane on an island in the middle of a lake of lava. After you're imprisoned the island is disintegrated to prevent anyone from standing on that spot to cast freedom for you (assuming they could get it off at all on a dead magic plane).

As for my adventures in the red light district, I'd probably systematically teleport the girls/guys/etc away and replace them with simulacra of gold dragons or solars that use alternate form/change shape to appear as the rescued victims. All done via proxy of course. They are then placed in a witness protection program.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 07:54 AM
As for my adventures in the red light district, I'd probably systematically teleport the girls/guys/etc away and replace them with simulacra of gold dragons or solars that use alternate form/change shape to appear as the rescued victims. All done via proxy of course. They are then placed in a witness protection program.
thanks for advice to fool prof the damn thing Sherlock now I have a legit reason to get dragonic cohort gold dragon so that problem solved( for solar I think definetly is a feat for them to become cohorts)
is there any missed spots

Darkweave31
2015-06-19, 08:05 AM
thanks for advice to fool prof the damn thing Sherlock now I have a legit reason to get dragonic cohort gold dragon so that problem solved( for solar I think definetly is a feat for them to become cohorts)
is there any missed spots

Considering you pretty obviously don't know how I'm accomplishing any of this I'd say yes quite a few spots.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 08:13 AM
Considering you pretty obviously don't know how I'm accomplishing any of this I'd say yes quite a few spots.
Well feel free to enlighten me there is always room for improvrement

Zirconia
2015-06-19, 08:51 AM

Which is one reason 3D printing isn't going to replace all normal manufacturing quite as easily as some of its proponents claim. Look around you at how many useful objects (i.e. not including art objects like glass vases) are made of one material. I count a desk (needs a huge printer), a pen holder (costs maybe $2), a mug (ditto), a ruler and some paper clips.

On topic, I usually renew Shrink spells on 55 gallon ceramic drums of oil with attached alchemists fire, for when you really want a big pool of fire on demand. Another handy one is the wooden Phone Booth, put small holes in it and when you toss it on the floor you have something you can step into and shoot out of with wands or bows, for example, but which blocks line of effect for many spells and gives big bonuses to AC and reflex saves.

Also possible to use Shrink Item for practical jokes, of course, with a shrunken "cloth-like" spring stuck to the bottom of a mug in the tavern for when it is set down, a "cloth-like" small fire under the bar stool, etc.

Sith_Happens
2015-06-19, 01:28 PM

It's not even a build, anyone with the right spells can do it:

1. Planar Bind a Mirror Mephit, which has Simulacrum 1/day as a spell-like ability.

2. Cut off one of its fingers.*

3. Use the finger to make a Simulacrum of it (with the actual spell).

4. Order the Mirror Mephit Simulacrum to make another Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you two in total.

5. The next day, order both Mirror Mephit Simulacra to each make a Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you four in total.

6. The next day, order all four Mirror Mephit Simulacra to each make a Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you eight in total.

7. Repeat until you feel you have enough Mirror Mephit Simulacra.

8. Order them all to start making Succubus Simulacra instead and to keep doing so every day for the rest of eternity.

9. Occasionally take one of your Succubus Simulacra to somewhere on the Material Plane that the moon is full and cast Steal Life on it, thereby allowing you to stay young forever.

10. Enjoy your Unlimited Succubus Works for all eternity.

* If your DM rules that you still need a piece of the thing you want to make a Simulacrum of even if you're using Simulacrum as an SLA, cut it into tiny pieces instead, then start doing the same to planar bound Succubi.

khadgar567
2015-06-19, 02:23 PM
It's not even a build, anyone with the right spells can do it:

1. Planar Bind a Mirror Mephit, which has Simulacrum 1/day as a spell-like ability.

2. Cut off one of its fingers.*

3. Use the finger to make a Simulacrum of it (with the actual spell).

4. Order the Mirror Mephit Simulacrum to make another Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you two in total.

5. The next day, order both Mirror Mephit Simulacra to each make a Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you four in total.

6. The next day, order all four Mirror Mephit Simulacra to each make a Mirror Mephit Simulacrum, giving you eight in total.

7. Repeat until you feel you have enough Mirror Mephit Simulacra.

8. Order them all to start making Succubus Simulacra instead and to keep doing so every day for the rest of eternity.

9. Occasionally take one of your Succubus Simulacra to somewhere on the Material Plane that the moon is full and cast Steal Life on it, thereby allowing you to stay young forever.

10. Enjoy your Unlimited Succubus Works for all eternity.

* If your DM rules that you still need a piece of the thing you want to make a Simulacrum of even if you're using Simulacrum as an SLA, cut it into tiny pieces instead, then start doing the same to planar bound Succubi.
well maybe after use trallherd to made legion of sexy I might thing succubus Simulacra to replace them so no one finds the girls missing( hell I might use them to clean the lose ends) though thanks for the idea

Auron3991
2015-06-27, 11:24 PM
Silent and Still combine for great fun:

Ghost Sound to make party members think they're going nuts
Invisibility on the fighter's magic sword
If in a city, Zone of Truth in the local bar
Illusions because someone needs to deal with that androgynous elf problem by giving him some facial hair (combine with invisibility on the dwarf's beard and popcorn for the evenings entertainment)
Stinking Cloud for obvious reasons

Unfortunately, I've been pre-emptively banned from taking any spell with Evard's in its name by any DM that knows me. I still can't figure out why:smallbiggrin:

Dayaz
2015-06-28, 12:32 AM
Unfortunately, I've been pre-emptively banned from taking any spell with Evard's in its name by any DM that knows me. I still can't figure out why:smallbiggrin:

You too?

I once turned a small town into a huge fort out of boredom with a mixture of spells. I would use Shape Stone to dig out parts to an underground dungeon/maze/whatevs, then have a slew of Unseen Servants (cast via wands) and mind controlled monsters/undead minions carry the stone out to a predesignated borderline. I would then use Fabricate to turn it all into huge stone walls, and then go to bed. Wake up the next morning, repeat.

In roughly... 2 weeks I had basically built a baby Great Wall, all without actually getting permission from the town or those in charge of it. They quit complaining after my DM decided to throw an army at the town (which he admitted was going to come anyway, the wall just made things more amusing for him... Until I covered trebuchet rounds with Explosive Runes.)

5ColouredWalker
2015-06-28, 02:37 AM
People read trebuchet stones?
:smallconfused:

I spend my day at both of my spellbooks, my real one, and my fake one. Hardness is cast on both until they end up harder than solid magic-treated obdurium. And the fake one has one sentence written into it, over and over.

"Guess who knows Explosive Runes?"

Explosive runes deals force damage, which bypasses hardness.
:smallwink::smalltongue:

My personal favourite is large amounts of Planar Binding [with the appropriate magic circles]. If I'm feeling lazy, I kill them and take their loot and gain XP, if I'm not feeling lazy, I'll have something for them to do.

Or I'll just sell my spell slots at standard prices. Not being trade goods, I get half, but it's good money.

Dayaz
2015-06-28, 12:05 PM
People read trebuchet stones?
:smallconfused:

They tend to look at the giant rock that jsut crushed guys, and if the rune is big enough, human(oid) psychology tends to have them read it before they realize what it is.

And I'm pretty sure Explosive runes deal fire damage, not force.

NeoPhoenix0
2015-06-28, 12:53 PM
I once played a sorcerer who loved to get up early and use his knowledge of the planes to make the surrounding area look like another plane, such as hell. Use silent images for the terrain in the distance, dancing lights made to look like some kind of spirit or whisp thing appropriate to the plane, ghost sounds for the background noises, prestidigitation to carefully alter things in the camp in fine detail, such as the color of the plants, and finally use more illusions and whatever spell you can think of to add to the effect. This particular mage used light of lunia to help give himself an angelic glow one day. Strange since he had a lot of demon blood in his heritage.

I also had a mage who was using wall of stone, fabricate, telekinesis, wall of force, and permanency as well as some acquired materials to make a cathedral to himself on top of a horizontal wall of force.

Magic on days off is one of the things i am usually thinking about when i make a sorcerer spell list.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-28, 12:54 PM
They tend to look at the giant rock that jsut crushed guys, and if the rune is big enough, human(oid) psychology tends to have them read it before they realize what it is.

And I'm pretty sure Explosive runes deal fire damage, not force.

Explosive Runes
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information. The runes detonate when read, dealing 6d6 points of force damage. Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw; any other creature within 10 feet of the runes is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. The object on which the runes were written also takes full damage (no saving throw).

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

Note: Magic traps such as explosive runes are hard to detect and disable. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find the runes and Disable Device to thwart them. The DC in each case is 25 + spell level, or 28 for explosive runes.

----------

NeoPhoenix0
2015-06-28, 01:06 PM

Hardness applies to all damage unless specifically stated otherwise, the only thing special about force damage is how it interacts with incorporeal creatures, and explosive runes does not have anything that says it ignores hardness.

Darkweave31
2015-06-28, 01:30 PM
I once played a sorcerer who loved to get up early and use his knowledge of the planes to make the surrounding area look like another plane, such as hell. Use silent images for the terrain in the distance, dancing lights made to look like some kind of spirit or whisp thing appropriate to the plane, ghost sounds for the background noises, prestidigitation to carefully alter things in the camp in fine detail, such as the color of the plants, and finally use more illusions and whatever spell you can think of to add to the effect. This particular mage used light of lunia to help give himself an angelic glow one day. Strange since he had a lot of demon blood in his heritage.

I also had a mage who was using wall of stone, fabricate, telekinesis, wall of force, and permanency as well as some acquired materials to make a cathedral to himself on top of a horizontal wall of force.

Magic on days off is one of the things i am usually thinking about when i make a sorcerer spell list.

Nice! Things like that are my favorite. I may or may not have swapped myself out for a simulacrum more than a few times to pursue projects such as this while my party went adventuring... Hmmm, permanent image stain glass force wall?

NeoPhoenix0
2015-06-28, 01:42 PM
Nice! Things like that are my favorite. I may or may not have swapped myself out for a simulacrum more than a few times to pursue projects such as this while my party went adventuring... Hmmm, permanent image stain glass force wall?

Actually the stained glass windows are a bit mundane here, they were just fabricated from stained glass, acquired from churches that no longer had people because the people turned into popsicles. The permanency was for the walls of force the cathedral was built on which might not be the most sound architectural choice, but then again he made wizard tower that was probably held together by the walls of force he used to reinforce the upper floors from intruders.

Darkweave31
2015-06-28, 02:23 PM
Actually the stained glass windows are a bit mundane here, they were just fabricated from stained glass, acquired from churches that no longer had people because the people turned into popsicles. The permanency was for the walls of force the cathedral was built on which might not be the most sound architectural choice, but then again he made wizard tower that was probably held together by the walls of force he used to reinforce the upper floors from intruders.

Well can't fault you for recycling.

RingofThorns
2015-06-29, 01:59 AM
I was playing a caster once and burned all my lightning and fire spells for the day to weld my friends armor, like every joint and hinge after he had blacked out while drinking.

Roga
2015-06-29, 03:03 AM
Get a buddy to cast a persistant Vigor for Fast healing 3, preferably using tricks and Divine Metamagic to keep the spell level down. Now have him cast it on you as many times as he can that day. Vigor spells add the entire duration of the new Vigor to the existing effect. With the right build, or a group of hirelings/cohorts, you could easily get a week's worth of fast healing with one day of down time.

In general, healing spells are how I like to have characters spend their down time. Healing the boy who skinned his knees, regenerating the limb of the artisan who thought his life as a tradesman was over, removing disease from the Bard and his Barmaid lady friend, all very rewarding days off. Or even a Remove Fear to help the local boy muster the courage to talk up the now clean Barmaid.

paranoidbox
2015-06-29, 05:52 AM
Get a buddy to cast a persistant Vigor for Fast healing 3, preferably using tricks and Divine Metamagic to keep the spell level down. Now have him cast it on you as many times as he can that day. Vigor spells add the entire duration of the new Vigor to the existing effect. With the right build, or a group of hirelings/cohorts, you could easily get a week's worth of fast healing with one day of down time.

Could you quote a rule on that? It seems unlikely to me that's how it works, but if you're right, that's pretty strong indeed.

Dr TPK
2015-06-29, 06:47 AM
Imbue with Spell Ability is super fun, at least if your DM is not a ****. If you're not doing anything special (as in, save the world) with your spells, let someone else do. It's also great that almost anyone can cast your spells. Now find a decent and loyal 5th-level commoner...

Roga
2015-06-29, 01:49 PM
Could you quote a rule on that? It seems unlikely to me that's how it works, but if you're right, that's pretty strong indeed.

Here you go.

The effects of multiple vigor spells do not stack; only the highest-level effect applies. Applying a second vigor spell of equal level extends the first spell's duration by the full duration of the second spell.

NeoPhoenix0
2015-06-29, 04:24 PM
Here you go.

The current version of vigor printed in the spell compendium omits that last part so they don't extend anymore.