PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Types as Defensive Buff

g3taso
2015-06-17, 08:02 PM
I'm playing in a pathfinder game with the caveat that 3 and 3.5 editions are ok if they haven't been updated. I like the notion of gaining types for their defensive value. In my case, I thought the Undead type and the Inevitable subtype were awesome, with a variety of immunities and so forth.

So, what spells or items allow me to assume types (or subtypes) with various good immunities? I've got necromancy specialization, which is one of the reasons I was thinking of the undead type. I don't want to be undead all the time or I imagine I could arrange that by myself.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-17, 08:05 PM
Undead, Swarm (subtype), Plant, and Construct have nice lists of immunities. Plant and swarm can be gained simultaneously via the symbiotic template from savage species.

g3taso
2015-06-17, 10:06 PM
Plant and swarm are good places to check into, and thanks for the Savage Species info. Anyone got any spells or items granting other types?

ShurikVch
2015-06-18, 03:05 PM
Plant and swarm are good places to check into, and thanks for the Savage Species info. Anyone got any spells or items granting other types?You can get benefits of Undead type via spells (10 minutes/level): Undead Mask (Cleric 7, Savage Species) or Veil of Undeath (Clr/Sor/Wiz 8, Spell Compendium)

Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Druid 8, Cleric 9; Sandstorm) give you fire subtype permanently

ComaVision
2015-06-18, 03:09 PM
Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Druid 8, Cleric 9; Sandstorm) give you fire subtype permanently

There's also Mantle of the Icy Soul in Frostburn, and I can't see any reason why you can't take both. Interesting.

Hiro Quester
2015-06-18, 03:16 PM
Veil of Undeath is a very useful spell. My Bard used that in our last campaign quite a bit.

And he also acquired the fire subtype through the Fire Souled Template (from Dragon mag 314). That was pretty awesome (I cast fireball, centered on myself).

That's an expensive +3 LA template, though, which my DM let me nerf quite a bit of --no leadership and eliminated some of the other features-- in exchange for letting me take it slowly over 3 levels, while advancing arcane spellcasting).