PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Additional Stat System [PEACH]

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 08:05 PM
Basic concept: Divorce combat functions from core stats through secondary stats to bring parity to the ability scores and increase build variety.

Include an additional 4 stats into character creation.

Fighting: Controls Attack and Damage bonuses for Unarmed Combat and Weapons.
Speed: Determines Initiative Modifier and AC Modifier.
Health: Determines HP modifier.
Magic: Determines Spell Save DCs and Bonuses to Spell Attacks and Damage.

Any class, feat, or item function that allows a character to use a specific stat can be used interchangeably. So if you've got a Finesse weapon you can use either Fighting or Dexterity to the attack and damage rolls. If you're a Sorceror you can use Magic or Charisma for DCs and such. Monks can ditch Fighting for Wisdom.

Class mechanics that do not rely on a "Magic" DC (Such as a Battlemaster's Saving Throw DC) default to the standard attributes provided. Monks with Wisdom, Battlemasters with Dex or Strength, that sort of thing.

No other game functions change.

DracoKnight
2015-06-17, 08:11 PM
Basic concept: Divorce combat functions from core stats through secondary stats to bring parity to the ability scores and increase build variety.

Include an additional 4 stats into character creation.

Fighting: Controls Attack and Damage bonuses for Unarmed Combat and Weapons.
Speed: Determines Initiative Modifier and AC Modifier.
Health: Determines HP modifier.
Magic: Determines Spell Save DCs and Bonuses to Spell Attacks and Damage.

Any class, feat, or item function that allows a character to use a specific stat can be used interchangeably. So if you've got a Finesse weapon you can use either Fighting or Dexterity to the attack and damage rolls. If you're a Sorceror you can use Magic or Charisma for DCs and such. Monks can ditch Fighting for Wisdom.

Class mechanics that do not rely on a "Magic" DC (Such as a Battlemaster's Saving Throw DC) default to the standard attributes provided. Monks with Wisdom, Battlemasters with Dex or Strength, that sort of thing.

No other game functions change.

Valiant attempt to bring some variety to the builds, however I feel that so many of the classes require you to have good stats in everything already, to the point where adding more stats to that system doesn't fix it. :P

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 08:13 PM
Kinda sorta, yeah... Also not sure how to -determine- these stats.

Separate point buy?

Extra dice rolls?

Averaging of stats?

There's a lot of ways one could go.

DracoKnight
2015-06-17, 08:17 PM
Kinda sorta, yeah... Also not sure how to -determine- these stats.

Separate point buy?

Extra dice rolls?

Averaging of stats?

There's a lot of ways one could go.

I've always played by rolling stats...I like that, because you can either roll really well, or really poorly. My point was that I don't think that adding more stats is the solution in a system that makes it difficult to do well if you don't have at least a 14 in everything. 5E has the suggested basic stats for every class, but then they'll have features sprinkled throughout the classes that require a separate stat, and then everyone needs Con and Dex. There's too much of a requirement to have decent stats already - I don't think that adding more stats to the system is the solution.

Steampunkette
2015-06-17, 08:29 PM
I dunno... It breaks the 6 stats down into 4... Though now I think I need to ditch Speed and make Health into Toughness.

One Attack, one Survival, one Spell.

It would basically mean you don't -need- Con or Dex. Just put a good score in Toughness and you've got a good Con and Dex. Toss another good score in Fighting and your Strength and Dex for combat purposes are good. And one good score in Magic makes you do a great job with spells.

And then the standard ability scores are only there for class mechanics, skills, and baseline functions (Like strength determining carrying capacity and armor allowance).

It narrows down the needed scores by shifting combat functions out.