PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Bloodlines][Mythos] “You cannot stop someone who has been touched by Vorlons."

Yasahiro
2015-06-17, 08:14 PM
As Welknair said, YOU CAN MAKE A BLOODLINE OUT OF ANYTHING!
And so me, being a masochist and a crazy person that I am, decided to attempt to create Bloodline for the Mythos subsystem. Feel free to comment and give suggestions. God knows that I might have failed at balancing this out.
Currently, you guys have receive: 1 Mythic Bloodline.
Expect more, as there is still a lot Mythos classes to cover, some bloodlines are currently WIP.

”All creatures want to believe in something bigger than themselves. They cannot live without blind obedience. And to escape the pressure of that trust, those in whom faith is placed in turn look for someone higher than themselves. And then those people in turn look for someone even stronger. That is how all Kings are born. That is how all Gods are born.” ~Aizen Sousuke, Bleach

The Splinter of the Titans

After the creation of the Great Wheel, the unwoven titans are bleeding, their blood collecting in the hearts of the mortals.The Mythos, the building blocks of their narrative self, sometimes being gained by the Anthols. It is the power that’s earned, whether by actions that one takes, or has taken, or would take, or will take - even with the linear time imposed by the Wheel, the mythic power continues to defy reasonable expectations. If such a person lays claim to the legacy of the Titans, it is theirs by right. It is how the Teramachs are created and Kathodos is chosen by Omphalos, how Bellators forge their own stories and how Epifovians tap into the primal instincts of the Nightmare.

As such, is this a wonder that there are creatures who sought the power of the Mythos, yet were unable to reach far enough to touch them? Creatures in whose hearts more of a Titan’s blood has collected than in usual person, yet not enough to fully realize what they have been given? Those whose actions tell the stories of their Mythic Patron, despite not being their rightful vessel?

These individuals are known as the Splinters of the Titans.

Levels Minor Intermediate Major
1Skill 1 +1
2Skill +1Mythic Ability 1
3Ability 1 +1
4Skill 1 +1Mythic Ability 1Mythic Ability 2
5Narrative Affinity +2
6Ability 1 +1Mythic Ability 3
7Skill 2 +2
8Mythic Ability 1Mythic Ability 2Mythic Ability 4
9Ability 2 +1
10Narrative Affinity +2Mythic Ability 5
11Narrative Affinity +4
12Ability 1 +1Mythic Ability 3Mythic Ability 6
13Skill 3 +2
14Skill 2 +2Mythic Ability 7
15Ability 3 +1
16Mythic Ability 4Mythic Ability 4Mythic Ability 8
17Narrative Affinity +6
18Ability 2 +1Mythic Ability 9
19Skill 4 +2
20Narrative Affinity +2Mythic Ability 5Mythic Ability 10

Skill 1-4 +2: Due to their connection to the beings that created the concepts, Splinters are just better at certain skills than other people. After all, they must tell of their Patron’s story somehow. These skills are derived from the appropriate Mythic Patron below.

Ability 1-3 +1: If they are the vessel of the primordial narratives, this of course means their body will change to reflect it. They gain bonuses to ability scores derived from their Mythic Patron.

Narrative Affinity: While the Splinters only possess a few pieces of a Titan’s narrative, what they do have is still more than what a regular person has. Having piece of a being that embodied a concept, and which is what was used to create the Great Wheel, deserves some respect, whether they are aware of the source of their abilities or not. They gain a bonus on all interaction rolls with characters corresponding to the appropriate Mythic Patron.

Mythic Patron: As each Titan’s narrative was different, each Splinter tells the story of a different one. The Titan whose pieces the Splinter contains is referred to as Mythic Patron. Also, the way the Splinter should be fully referred to changes depending on the narrative that they are connected to. (e.g. a Splinter based off Teramach would be known as Splinter of the Monster.) and determines the Mythic Abilities and Narrative Affinity bonuses, as well as the Skill and Ability bonuses.

Low Power/High Power Variants:

Because these bloodlines were made to be weaker than the mythos classes, in order to allow usage for lower powered campaigns yet still provide enough of a difference in power and abilities to matter, you are free to change the Mythic Abilities to granting actual Mythos and/or Excellencies for more high-powered ones. In such case, the highest tier of the Mythos this bloodline would grant is Fantastic, and for purposes of effects based on the mythos class level they use 1/4, 1/2, or 1X of the character’s level. If they somehow get mythos from the same class that was the base of the bloodline, keep these two groups of Mythos and levels separate.

http://i.imgur.com/SyLUy7c.png

"My friends... my family... They helped me forget the devil inside. But who am I kidding? I was born to kill!" ~ Raiden, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Splinter of the Monster
There are those who give into their emotions, tapping into the primordial narrative of the being of violence and anger known as "Monster". They are not just mere avatars of it, they ARE the rage and through them, the Monster's story spreads. The Splinters of the Monster, however, they did not give up their mercy completely, thus the Monster's hold over them is not as strong. But its power is great and enticing, which only gives one question.

Can they keep their hold on whatever remains of their mercy and restraint?

Skills: Intimidate, Survival, Jump, Climb
Abilities: Strength, Constitution, Dexterity
Narrative Affinity: Any creature or class that has the ability to go into a Rage or Rage-like effect(e.g. Frenzy).

Mythic Ability
1 Monstrous Rage, All-Consuming Rage Release
2 Unrestrained Assault
3 Mortal-Shattering Strike
4 Enraged Colossal Charge
5 Tireless Monstrous Stamina
6 Unfeeling Berserking Juggernaut
7 Mortifying Brutality Bellow
8 Complete Abandonment of Restraint
9 Perpetual Violence
10 Untamed Fury

Monstrous Rage: Some of the Splinter’s abilities reference a concept known as “Rage”, or a “Rage Effect”. Unless otherwise stated, a Rage Effect induces the following behavior for its duration:

"The effected character may not show any manner of restraint in their attacks (for example, they may not voluntarily deal nonlethal damage if there is a suitable lethal method available, or purposefully pull their punches to deal less damage). They may not voluntarily perform movement that would take them farther away from all of their enemies (they may switch targets, but not forsake all of them). If a foe is dropped unconscious, and there are other dangers afoot, they may focus on those other dangers, but if there are no other enemies, dangers, or pressing concerns, they must attempt to kill fallen enemies. Any creature that strikes them (even if that creature is under some kind of outside influence) is considered an enemy (and cannot be considered an ally, obviously) for the duration of the Rage.

A Raging character takes a -4 penalty on all skill checks (other than Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Tumble checks), and ranged attack rolls (except with thrown weapons), and cannot cast spells, manifest psionic powers, or utilize Truenaming or Shadow Magic (Binding, Incarnum, and Invocations are fine)."

All-Consuming Rage Release: The Monster is angry. Very, very angry. The Splinter is capable of tapping into said fury, using it to his advantage. However, channeling such potent power has drawbacks.

As a swift action, the Splinter may go into a Rage, gaining a +4 bonus to their Strength and Dexterity. When they activate this ability, they may choose for the Rage to last 5 rounds, 1 minute, or 1 hour. However, after the Rage ends, they become Fatigued for the same amount of time that they were in Rage for. If they enter Rage again when they are Fatigued, they become Exhausted instead for the same period of time that they were in Rage, after which they go back to Fatigued and remain such for the amount of time that they still had to spend in Fatigued before becoming exhausted. An Exhausted character entering Rage becomes Unconscious instead when the Rage ends, for same amount of time that they were in Rage for, after which they remain Exhausted for remaining amount of time they were supposed to be Exhausted for, after which it drops to Fatigued, following same rules as before. If they were Fatigued or Exhausted for other reasons, follow regular rules from recovering from those.

Unrestrained Assault: It is easy for even a regular person to wish to harm a person in a heat of irrational moment. It is easy to use more strength than necessary. For the Splinter, it is easy all the time.

The Splinter gains Power Attack as a bonus feat. While in Rage, their unarmed attacks, and attacks made with light or one-handed weapons that they are profficient with, are considered two-handed weapons for the purposes of this feat.

Mortal-Shattering Strike: Weapons, armor, clothing, accessories… They were all creations of other beings, things they put their hearts in. In the throes of combat, breaking such hearts might provide enough might provide enough satisfaction for the Splinter to leave such beings to live another day, to break them all over again.

The Splinter gains Improved Sunder as a bonus feat. At the end of their turn, they may choose one enemy that they successfuly hit and dealt damage to during their turn. They may make a free Sunder attempt against the chosen enemy.

If they successfuly Sunder any object worn on the enemy with this ability, they have the choice to just forget about the humbled foe. In this case, they no longer count as an enemy for the purposes of the behavior the Splinter’s Rage induces in them for the remainder of the encounter, or until the enemy invokes their ire again in some way.

In addition, if they successfully kill a living enemy, they may choose to gruesomely dismember them as a free action, leaving their limbs and organs strewn about the space they previously occupied, and likely the Splinter’s own space, and spaces adjacent(in addition to being horrible, this may also complicate spells such as Revivfy and Raise Dead.) If they are in a Rage, they can’t choose; they must dismember valid enemies they kill.

Enraged Colossal Charge: When The Monster isn’t killing, it’s thinking about killing, fantasizing about chasing its fleeing prey. In the throes of the terror that the chased being feel, they might mistake Splinter’s rage for joy as it catapults itself towards them to perform more violence.

The Splinter gains Improved Initiative and Fleet of Foot as bonus feats. In addition, they may also Charge as a standard action. However, if they do so, they can only move up to their Speed, rather than double of their Speed.

Tireless Monstrous Stamina: It is an idyllic notion, that one day the Monster would rest. That, one day, we would wake in a world in which all people live in harmony and peace, and no Monsters exist anywhere at all. It is not today.

Rage no longer causes the Splinter to become Fatigued, Exhausted or Unconscious, but they still must wait at least half the time they spent in Rage in order to enter Rage again.

In addition, as an immediate action, while in a Rage, they may rid themselves of one ongoing spell or spell-like ability that is currently affecting them, of a level up to ½ their character level - 1, or the following conditions: Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Fascinated, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Shaken or Stunned. They may activate this ability even if one of the stated conditions would prevent them from taking such an action (such as Dominate Person telling you not to, or Stunned preventing you from taking actions at all).

Using this ability deals 1 point of damage to the Splinter, per effective spell level of the effect (or ½ their character level, if no effective spell level can be derived). This damage bypasses all kinds of damage reduction.

Unfeeling Berserking Juggernaut: The lesser men would allow pain to get in their way, stop them from accomplishing their goal, from delivering the, well deserved by enemy, retribution. The Monster laughs in the face of such obstacles.

Attacks of opportunity, poison or any such source of damage or incovenience no longer stops Splinter’s actions. If they attempt a Trip without the feat and are damaged as attack of opportunity, they proceed with their action. If they attempt a grapple without the feat and are damaged as attack of opportunity, they proceed with their action. If a creature has the Stand Still feat and damages the Splinter while they move out of the threatened space, they proceed with the movement.

In addition, while they are in Rage, they ignore non-lethal damage and can proceed with their planned actions even if they were to be killed by any such effect, however at the end of their turn, they rightfully die.

Mortifying Brutality Bellow: It makes complete sense, that those that have encountered the Monster break down into shivering piles of flesh, hoping to somehow be ignored or at least granted a quick death. Unfortunately for them, this is rarely the case.
The Splinter gains Imperious Command as a bonus feat (DotU).

While they are in a Rage, as a standard action, they may Demoralize with the Intimidate skill, but apply the Demoralization to all enemies that can hear the Splinter within 60 feet.

In addition the Splinter gains +2 bonus to your attack and damage rolls against creatures they have successfully reduced to Shaken. If the creatures were Frightened or higher, the Splinter instead gains +4 bonus.

Complete Abandonment of Restraint: The Splinter of the Monster is trying to tell the story of their Patron, and they have done so for so long that it became a second nature to them.

As a standard action, the Splinter may engage in a Full-Attack.

In addition, while in a Rage, they may make a Full-Attack in lieu of the normal attack made at the end of Charge.

Perpetual Violence: It is true that violence only causes more violence, and the Splinter has taken this saying to heart more than anyone else.

Every time the Splinter make a succesful melee attack against an enemy, they may go into a Rage that lasts until the end of their next turn. During this Rage, they gain a +1 bonus to their strength. If they trigger this Rage again, it does not create a new Rage effect, but instead resets the duration of the Rage to last until the end of their next turn again, and increases the Strength bonus by 1. This bonus will continue to stack up to a maximum of 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 of their character level, depending on bloodline’s strength. It follows same cooldown rules as All-Consuming Rage Release, as affected by Tireless Monstrous Stamina, with both cooldown periods being kept track of separately

Untamed Fury: The Splinter of the monster has fully realized their potential, accepting the fury of the Monster into their very being. They no longer have to wait any period of time after either of their Rage Effects end in order to go into Rage again. In addition, the Splinter may now take a total of Swift Actions per round equal to the number of Rage Effects they currently suffer from.

In addition, when they are in a Rage, they gain Fast Healing 5 and DR 5/-.

Yasahiro
2015-06-17, 08:15 PM
-Reserved For WIP and Future Mythic Classes Bloodlines-

Yasahiro
2015-06-17, 08:16 PM
-Another one Reserved For WIP and Future Mythic Classes Bloodlines-

Yasahiro
2015-06-17, 08:17 PM
-And yet another one reserved For WIP and Future Mythic Classes Bloodlines-

Yasahiro
2015-06-17, 08:18 PM
-And another one goes, and another one goes. Another one reserved For WIP and Future Mythic Classes Bloodlines.-

And that's all reserved posts I might need.

Let's talk about this, guys.

qazzquimby
2015-06-18, 12:05 AM
I'm confused why you don't just give very slow access to mythos? This seems kind of like making a new casting system for a wizard bloodline.

Yasahiro
2015-06-18, 12:24 AM
I'm confused why you don't just give very slow access to mythos? This seems kind of like making a new casting system for a wizard bloodline.

Bloodlines are supposed to be weaker than the class they are based on and just giving them access to Mythos is lazy. That and the fact that despite still being strong, my bloodline is generally weaker than a Teramach so it might fit medium-low power games... Well, the last one not so much but still.

HOWEVER, if you read the Variant note you would see that Changing the Mythic Abilities to grant actual Mythos/Excellencies is the case.

And it was based on the way Welknair did Hero-Born, Akodrin and Remnant Bloodlines.

qazzquimby
2015-06-18, 12:29 AM
That's a pretty thorough argument :smalltongue:
If it can optionally use normal mythos materials then there's no issue. My concern was from my experience in expanding on every element of an existing work creating an ever growing supply of work. To keep this complete, every new mythos writer would have to write a bloodline as well, though I guess keeping this complete isn't very important.

I guess I'll make a new section in the compendium.

Yasahiro
2015-06-18, 08:21 AM
That's a pretty thorough argument :smalltongue:
If it can optionally use normal mythos materials then there's no issue. My concern was from my experience in expanding on every element of an existing work creating an ever growing supply of work. To keep this complete, every new mythos writer would have to write a bloodline as well, though I guess keeping this complete isn't very important.

I guess I'll make a new section in the compendium.

Oh, I know more Mythos classes and such are still being created and there will always be more work. That is why I reserved these posts