PDA

View Full Version : God apocalypse

Apillicus
2015-06-18, 01:50 AM
So I'm making a world that the story week basically be a warlock begins swapping souls. He does it to get a new body when his is about to die to extend his life. At a certain point he gets into a stronger being's body. It snowballs from there, but essentially he gains new bodies as well as power until he contends with the gods. After killing a couple, the gods imprison him. While imprisoned he creates monsters and begins randomly teleporting them into the world to wreak havok. The monsters kill the peasants,who can no longer fuel the gods with their faith. The gods are weakened as a whole, and add the world basically goes up in flames, they use their collective powers to bring their followers to a world that is untouched. I would like help either fledging this story out, or altering it as need be. A friend of mine doesn't seem to like how I'm messing with the lore for D&D and i want to make it decent for him to work with. My main goal is to limit the powers of divine casters, and make survival difficult. As well as making resurrection less trivial so all input is appreciated.

Apillicus

RBVakarian
2015-07-01, 04:23 PM
What if instead of monsters wrecking havoc, he had a small cult of followers. Tie everything up into that the Gods gain their abilities through worship. As his cult starts out small, the gods aren't too worried. Then they grow and begin attacking sites of worship, leading crusades against other religions. As they begin knocking off followers of the other deities, these deities begin to weaken. Maybe a few years before the campaign starts; there was this prophesied return of a god, and then he didn't show and so most people think he's dead. The other Gods don't know what to do, so they reach out to the PC's to figure out whats up.

aspekt
2015-07-05, 04:50 AM
I think your idea is fairly internally consistent. Which is the most important factor in making lore.

Now are you wanting assistance with making the pristine world the gods have drawn their people to?

If so consider the following:

The gods are weakened, so most likely the gods chose a new world that was relatively hidden or pocketed away.

If your warlock god killer makes a comeback this will slow them down while the party advances in power also.

Is the god killer coming back? How? How will he find this new world? Or does the warlock even care anymore, instead focusing on building power and assassinating the gods one by one?

How does being given a pristine world change the lives of the people who were moved there?

Are there any natural predators on this world, ie., monsters? If not, why not?

What resources are missing on this world that existed on the previous world? Is mithral? Steel? Or is it all the same?

Sometimes making small changes that don't affect the rules, like new metals, even no metals, can add realism to a world.

Will any of the people begin complaining bitterly that they wish they had stayed behind? At least in the old world everyone already had homes, farms, cities, towns, and businesses.

On a final note about your friend. We all like stability and familiarity. However, one of the strong attractions of D&D is that you can make any fantasy world or lore you choose. Just remember to keep that world internally consistent.

Also, I suppose I would ask your friend *which* lore for D&D you're violating.

The Greyhawk lore?

The Arduin lore?

The Forgotten Realms lore?

The Hollow World lore?

The Dragonlance lore?

The Spelljammer lore?

The Ravenloft lore?

The Kingdoms of Kalamar lore?

The Wyrm Council lore?

The Birthright lore?

The Eberron lore?

And let's not forget the lore D&D borrowed from: