PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing Animals in an attempt to save your own life.

Moechi_Vill
2007-04-26, 11:42 AM
I was going to post about how Roy's animals were going to die/suffer pain but it never occured to me that someone would consider Roy to be evil or more then moderately selfish (as in concerned over self) because of it... I did note his lack of loyalty towards critters who had served him well in the past though, and therefore provide option 3 along with an abstain.

This boil-up about sacrificing animals feels like the time I got pulled over by the Giant for quoting demographics and not splitting hairs in the belief that people could differentiate radicalism from intellectualism... but noooo! Flagged for generalizing.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-26, 11:48 AM
Beef is the best meat of them all, followed by lamb, chicken and pork.

Constantinople
2007-04-26, 12:13 PM
No Thog option.

:thog: thog sad that there is no thog option.

EvilElitest
2007-04-26, 12:16 PM
No Thog option.

:thog: thog sad that there is no thog option.

Thog has been replaced by the cow
from,
EE

MReav
2007-04-26, 12:18 PM
Of course I'm against eating Cows. Now, cows, I'm all for eating.

Read Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and you'll get what I'm getting at.

Adeptus
2007-04-26, 12:22 PM
Strange, strange options. Is that how you see the question.

The "My life > cow" isn't the argumen. We humans are omnivores. While it's stupid to feed cows with maize, at least here in Finland cows eat hay and produce food in areas where farming isn't feasible.

I eat cow but I don't make it a question of my personal worth and that of a cow. The cow is a herbivove, and I'm an omnivore. That's what it comes down to.

What has the poll got to do with OotS anyway?

MReav
2007-04-26, 12:27 PM
Strange, strange options. Is that how you see the question.

The "My life > cow" isn't the argumen. We humans are omnivores. While it's stupid to feed cows with maize, at least here in Finland cows eat hay and produce food in areas where farming isn't feasible.

I eat cow but I don't make it a question of my personal worth and that of a cow. The cow is a herbivove, and I'm an omnivore. That's what it comes down to.

What has the poll got to do with OotS anyway?

I think this is a response to the "Is Roy in Favor of Animal Rights" thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41871, as he supposedly chucked several animals to their deaths

My opinion is that while they are sentient (to the point that at least 2 can speak Common), they are also summoned creatures, so they're not exactly in any danger

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-04-26, 12:42 PM
Being vegetarian doesn't stop animals from dying. Every year, thousands of small furry animals are killed by getting run over by crop-harvesting combines. True, less animals are killed than if you also eat meat as well as grain, but you don't eliminate the problem. Therefore, you can save the environment by eating meat 364 out of 365 days of the year- the only difference between this and vegetarian is how much you help. And amounts necessary to be good and pure is... open to interpretation.

Threeshades
2007-04-26, 12:49 PM
I would open my bag of tricks and hang it up over a pot of molten lead top down, if it would save my life.

And yes I do eat meat, because it would be stupid, not to.

2007-04-26, 12:52 PM
Of course I'm against eating Cows. Now, cows, I'm all for eating.

Read Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and you'll get what I'm getting at.You rock. :smallsmile: (Just be glad this forum isn't in spoken poetry form.)

But seriously, I would eat the cow.

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-26, 12:58 PM
Technically, since they came out of a bag of tricks, they are summoned creatures, they don't die, they simply vanish back to their plane. So the question is completely irrevelant. :smalltongue:

ANYWAYS... I actually have to say it depends on the animal. I would do everything in my power to keep both me and either of my loyal, loving dogs alive. A few small, random rodents? DIE, WEASELS, DIE!!! I'd probably feel bad about it later though.

Dread
2007-04-26, 01:00 PM
Being vegetarian doesn't stop animals from dying. Every year, thousands of small furry animals are killed by getting run over by crop-harvesting combines. True, less animals are killed than if you also eat meat as well as grain, but you don't eliminate the problem. Therefore, you can save the environment by eating meat 364 out of 365 days of the year- the only difference between this and vegetarian is how much you help. And amounts necessary to be good and pure is... open to interpretation.

Example: Soy milk. So the poor little lambs can drink REAL cow-milk.
Problem: To grow soy, a lot of rain forest is destroyed. Rare animals die because their habitat is consumed by agriculture. Of course, animals are fed with soy. So if you really want to do the animals a favor, buy food which is produced in your local area or by ecological agriculture. (I don't know if it's called that, in Germany we call it "Bio". There is a seal by the european union which indicates that the food marked with it was produced with no avoidable harm to nature. It's a bit more expensive, of course, but it's also more healthy.)

Jaysyn
2007-04-26, 01:04 PM
Problem: To grow soy, a lot of rain forest is destroyed. Rare animals die because their habitat is consumed by agriculture. Of course, animals are fed with soy. So if you really want to do the animals a favor, buy food which is produced in your local area or by ecological agriculture. (I don't know if it's called that, in Germany we call it "Bio". There is a seal by the european union which indicates that the food marked with it was produced with no avoidable harm to nature. It's a bit more expensive, of course, but it's also more healthy.)

Why would a lamb drink cows milk?

Dread
2007-04-26, 01:12 PM
:D Sorry, confused the english words here. Of course I mean a baby cow, whatever you call them.

BobTheDog
2007-04-26, 01:18 PM
So, if lambs get cow milk, would a calf get sheep's milk?

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-26, 01:49 PM

When a cow has a calf it produces more milk than it can drink anyway. They were bred for it.

Why would a lamb drink cows milk?

Why would a human?

Roderick_BR
2007-04-26, 02:03 PM
And can't forget animals that eats other animals.

Mad Scientist
2007-04-26, 03:52 PM
As a personal fan of burgers, steak, and leather shoes I have to vote that my life > cow

Black_Light83
2007-04-26, 04:05 PM
my life > cow < dog > cat > mouse > masqweeto < lizards > halflings < elves > dwarfs > hobgoblins < MITD > deamon roaches > real roaches < a grape... :smallannoyed:

Threeshades
2007-04-26, 04:09 PM
my life > cow < dog > cat > mouse > masqweeto < lizards > halflings < elves > dwarfs > hobgoblins < MITD > deamon roaches > real roaches < a grape... :smallannoyed:

Word! :smallamused:

Matuse
2007-04-26, 06:37 PM
Small animals don't die from falls like that. They don't have enough mass to get enough speed going to take serious damage. Maybe the skunk or the beaver might be in trouble, but a mouse can fall hundreds of feet without any danger at all, and everyone knows about cats.

Finwe
2007-04-26, 06:48 PM
Beef is the best meat of them all, followed by lamb, chicken and pork.

Clearly ye have been deprives of the greater meats. Yumminess will be yours if you can obtain Kangaroo or Ostrich :smallbiggrin:. And we are omnivores. Consuming meat is in our nature. Not eating meat is against the natural order of things.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-26, 07:58 PM
i'll have mine well done.

NeonRonin
2007-04-26, 11:40 PM

Dude, that spiel just made my eyes spin...

On the thread topic, I'm all for My life > cow. I eat meat and like it, as many people do; evolution gave us the equipment to do it, so I figure why deny it. Besides, one of my friends comes from a farm family, and if they don't get top dollar on beef sales they don't have a good year. Support your local ranchers. :smallsmile:

Revlid
2007-04-27, 01:30 AM
One day I will kidnap every vegetarian in the world, tie them up, and force-feed them meatloaf.

Until that day, I'll just have to be sure to eat lots of meat, to make up for their abstinence.

So yeah, my life>Cow

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-27, 07:29 AM
Clearly ye have been deprives of the greater meats. Yumminess will be yours if you can obtain Kangaroo or Ostrich :smallbiggrin:. And we are omnivores. Consuming meat is in our nature. Not eating meat is against the natural order of things.

I can't catch the bloody things. They always stay outside my reach in a cage or the wrong side of the Earth.

Police_palace
2007-04-27, 09:07 AM
In Soviet-russia, Cow eats you!