PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Skyborn Enforcer (Prestige Class) (PEACH)

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-18, 10:48 AM
Hello everybody,
Here is my second class that I am working on. This class is designed to work along side the Stone Sentinel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422328-Stone-Sentinel-(Prestige-Class)-(PEACH)). The Wind goddess, Aerona, is the head of this organization and her Skyborn Enforces monitor the air. What I wanted to accomplish with this class was a small mix between Swashbuckler, Skylord, and Justicar.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I'm also terrible at placing the ability tags like Su and Ex. I'd appreciate help with it!

Skyborn Enforcer
Hit Die
d10

Requirements
Alignment: Any Lawful
Deity: Aerona
Feats: Improved Initiative
Skills: Handle Animal 8 Ranks, Ride 8 Ranks
Special: Must have performed the right of free fall.

Class Skills
Class Skills
The Skyborn Enforcer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features

1st
+1+0+2+0
Aerona’s Protection, Discern Lies, Windborn Mount
2nd
+2+0+3+0
Combat Style
3rd
+3+1+3+1
Bonded Travelers
4th
+4+1+4+1
Improved Combat Style
5th
+5+1+4+1
Fly-By Pick Up
6th
+6+2+5+2
Combat Style Mastery

7th
+7+2+5+2
Precise Landing
8th
+8+2+6+2
Combat Style Perfection
9th
+9+3+6+3
Skyborn Assault
10th
+10+3+7+3
Summon Mount

Class Features:
All the following are Class Features of the Skyborn Enforcers prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Skyborn Enforcers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Aerona’s Protection (Su):
A Skyborn Enforcer is forever blessed by Aerona. All Skyborn Enforcers are immune to any damage caused by falling any distance. A Skyborn Enforcer always lands on their feet.

Discern Lies (Sp):
At will, a Skyborn Enforcer can use discern lies, as the spell.

Windborn Mount (Ex):
All Skyborn Enforcers are given an especially intelligent mount. They may choose from <Insert Mounts Here>.

Combat Style (Ex):
At 2nd level, a Skyborn Enforcer must select one of two combat styles to pursue: Gunslinging or Wrestling. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the Skyborn Enforcer selects gunslinging, he is treated as having the Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the Skyborn Enforcer selects wrestling, he is treated as having Improved Grapple feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Bonded Travelers (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Skyborn Enforcer has become an expert at riding their mount. Whenever a Skyborn Enforcer is riding their mount, they gain a +4 to both Handle Animal and Ride. In addition, a Skyborn Enforcer may take 10 on these checks, even when under stress.

Improved Combat Style (Ex):
At 4th level, a Skyborn Enforcer’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (gunslinging or wrestling) improves again. If he selected gunslinging at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the Skyborn Enforcer selected wrestling at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Scorpion's Grasp, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Fly-By Pick Up (Ex):
At 5th level, a Skyborn Enforcer that is in a free fall can mount their bird as a move action. In addition, a Skyborn Enforcer’s mount may also retrieve any manacled or helpless creature with by making a successful melee touch attack.

Combat Style Mastery (Ex):
At 6th level, a Skyborn Enforcer’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or wrestling) improves again. If he selected gunslinging at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the Skyborn Enforcer selected wrestling at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Clever Wrestling feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Precise Landing (Ex):
At 7th level, a Skyborn Enforcer has dropped from their mount thousands of times and are able to land exactly where they want without fail. If you choose to land in an occupied square, you must make a melee touch attack against the current occupant of the square. If successful, you move them 5 feet in a direction of your choice and they take 10d6 of damage, if you are not successful, you land in the square adjacent to them (in the direction you chose) and provoke an attack of opportunity.

Combat Style Perfection (Ex):
At 8th level, a Skyborn Enforcer's aptitude in his chosen combat style (gunslinging or wrestling) improves again. If he selected gunslinging at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the Skyborn Enforcer selected wrestling at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Earth's Embrace feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

Skyborn Assault (Ex):
At 9th level, while falling, a Skyborn Enforcer that chose gunslinging as their combat style make make a single attack without penalty. If a Skyborn Enforcer chose wrestling as their combat style, they instead may make a grapple attempt with a +4 bonus by choosing to land in an enemy's occupied space.

Summon Mount (Su):
At 10th level, you can summon your mount as a swift action. This functions as a conjuration spell and can be used anywhere that touches the astral plane.

Mount

Skyborn Enforcer Level
Bonus HD
Natural Armor Adj.
Strength Adj.
Special

1st-3rd
+2+4+1
Telepathic Link, Improved Fly Speed 10ft
4th-6th
+4+6+2
Improved Toughness, Improved Fly Speed 20ft
7th-9th
+6+8+3
Spell Resistance, Improved Fly Speed 30ft
10th
+8+10+4
Rider Awareness, Improved Fly Speed

Telepathic Link (Su):
You and your mount share a telepathic link that reaches 2 miles per level of Skyborn Enforcer

Improved Fly Speed (Ex):
At each level, your mount gains an extra 10ft of fly speed.

Improved Toughness (Ex):
Your mount gains the Improved Toughness feat.

Spell Resistance (Su):
Your mount gains spell resistance equal to 15 + its hit die.

Rider Awareness (Su):
Your mount is always aware of your location, so long as you are in a location that is touching the astral plane.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 11:36 AM
None of the four mounts you listed actually exist. I assume they're homebrewed?

Bonded Travelers is odd, since a character in this PrC will have Ride maxed already. Maybe +4 to each, and they can take 10 even when under stress?

Improved Grapple is also weird. This is a flying mounted class, and grappling generally requires that you be neither of those. :smallconfused:

Grappling Chains is a pretty crazy ability. Something closer to the Justiciar's Hog-Tie would be better.

Grappling Dismount should allow the enemy a Reflex save to move out of the way, like everything else that involves dropping things on people's heads.

Battle Fall: This is odd. They're mounted, they'er a grappler, and now they're ranged too?

Summon Mount is interesting and is alright for a capstone.

I'll probably come back to this class later, since I'm still really confused about what it's trying to accomplish.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-18, 11:49 AM
None of the four mounts you listed actually exist. I assume they're homebrewed?
Oh dear, I meant to change those to <Insert Mounts Here>. I had initially rattled off monsters that may or may not exist in the game. Any suggestion for a wide variety of big fliers? Preferably an Owl and Bat among them. They've got to play nice with all the Lawful Alignments...

Bonded Travelers is odd, since a character in this PrC will have Ride maxed already. Maybe +4 to each, and they can take 10 even when under stress?
I like that idea. I'll update that.

Improved Grapple is also weird. This is a flying mounted class, and grappling generally requires that you be neither of those. :smallconfused:
Perhaps the focus should be shifted around, I wanted them to be able to drop off their mount and simultaneously bag'n'tag someone.

Grappling Chains is a pretty crazy ability. Something closer to the Justiciar's Hog-Tie would be better.
Perhaps when they land on someone they make the attempt to pin them instead? Then they can have Hog-Tie instead of Grappling Chains.

Grappling Dismount should allow the enemy a Reflex save to move out of the way, like everything else that involves dropping things on people's heads.
I'll definitely add the reflex save. Suggested DC anyone?

Battle Fall: This is odd. They're mounted, they'er a grappler, and now they're ranged too?
Maybe this is a throw away ability... I thought it'd be neat to drop off the mount and get an attack off in between.

Summon Mount is interesting and is alright for a capstone.
Phew.

I'll probably come back to this class later, since I'm still really confused about what it's trying to accomplish.
Heh... Sky Police.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 12:06 PM
Oh dear, I meant to change those to <Insert Mounts Here>. I had initially rattled off monsters that may or may not exist in the game. Any suggestion for a wide variety of big fliers? Preferably an Owl and Bat among them. They've got to play nice with all the Lawful Alignments...

Perhaps when they land on someone they make the attempt to pin them instead? Then they can have Hog-Tie instead of Grappling Chains.

I don't like that either. But I don't like grappling in general and have almost zero play experience with it, so you should wait for someone else to weigh in on this.

I'll definitely add the reflex save. Suggested DC anyone?

It should be scaling. 10 + class level + Strength modifier or something.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-18, 12:15 PM
The next class I'll be putting out is a full healer class. None of that armored cleric business.

I don't like that either. But I don't like grappling in general and have almost zero play experience with it, so you should wait for someone else to weigh in on this.
Perhaps Zaydos will stop in and toss in some extra ideas.

I'm also banking on Zaydos to have some cool mounts. He is sort of a monster manual.

It should be scaling. 10 + class level + Strength modifier or something.
I like that. It's a tolerable save.

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 12:33 PM
Perhaps Zaydos will stop in and toss in some extra ideas.

WHO SUMMONS ME?

I'm also banking on Zaydos to have some cool mounts. He is sort of a monster manual.

Have I ever mentioned that the reason I bought my own books was because the 2e Monster Manual had all these new types of dragons and had so many monsters and pictures of monsters? Or that I had given up on D&D due to lack of friends, until 3.0s Monster Manual came out and I had to have it because of the white dragon picture?

Moving on. What power level are you looking for? I mean Lv 6 paladin mount is CR 3, CR 2 if flying (according to ye olde DMG). Dire Bat is a Large Bat which works as a mount, CR 2, True Neutral, Animal, one of my personal favorite animal companions (available to a Lv 4 druid and you can ride on it to fly without going to Spell Compendium for a short duration Lv 2 spell). Giant Owl is a CR 3 flying creature usable as a mount but they're usually NG so might not work the best for LE. Same goes for Giant Eagle. Hippogriff is a potential mount as well (CR 2, flying, large), griffon being a CR 4 version.

Moving away from the MM: Dire Eagle is a CR 3 mountable creature (RoS). Dire Hawk (CR 2 or 3, RotW) would work for Small Skyborn Enforcers. If you're willing to look at the dreaded MMII there are three types of desmodu bats.

If you're looking for homebrewed creatures my creativity is at 0 right now. Was thinking about making Dire Owls if Beast Tamer won the vote for expansion to create an Owl Totem, but didn't end up happening. I have bearble bees which are probably higher CR than you're looking for (5 iirc), and lupigryphs which I don't even recall.

Also only glanced at animal/magical beasts I could think of. The Dragon Magazine with Ninjas and Oriental stuff also had some dinosaurs and I think it had a medium or large pterodon/pterodactyl if that interests you.

I like that. It's a tolerable save.

'tis the standard for PrCs.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-18, 12:54 PM
WHO SUMMONS ME?
The LoyalPaladin dares!

Have I ever mentioned that the reason I bought my own books was because the 2e Monster Manual had all these new types of dragons and had so many monsters and pictures of monsters? Or that I had given up on D&D due to lack of friends, until 3.0s Monster Manual came out and I had to have it because of the white dragon picture?
I started playing D&D because I thought the Iron Golem artwork was awesome. Thanks WotC... ruining my pocketbook ever since.

Moving on. What power level are you looking for? I mean Lv 6 paladin mount is CR 3, CR 2 if flying (according to ye olde DMG).
Fairly decent powered. Balancing them around an animal companion for a Ranger/Druid/Paladin level 6 would be fine.

Dire Bat is a Large Bat which works as a mount, CR 2
Giant Owl is a CR 3 flying creature usable as a mount but they're usually NG so might not work the best for LE.
Same goes for Giant Eagle.
I definitely want these. I'd like to avoid Pegasi & Hippogriffs. Mostly looking for the winged only creatures.

If you're willing to look at the dreaded MMII there are three types of desmodu bats.
I'd definitely like to look into these. Who doesn't like bats?

If you're looking for homebrewed creatures my creativity is at 0 right now.
Trying to stick to fairly mainstream content, however, we are using homebrew classes. So a homebrewed animal or two won't kill us.

Also only glanced at animal/magical beasts I could think of. The Dragon Magazine with Ninjas and Oriental stuff also had some dinosaurs and I think it had a medium or large pterodon/pterodactyl if that interests you.
This is going to lose me friends. I don't like dinosaurs.

'tis the standard for PrCs.
'Tis not something I knew! :D

Xallace
2015-06-18, 01:28 PM
So I'm gathering that this class is supposed to be a sort of "sky cop," hence the dual ranged/grappling deal. I can dig that. The main problem I'm seeing so far, though, is that they end up being a little all over the place, and few of those disparate features really gel together.

Aerona’s Protection (Su):
At first level, if a Skyborn Enforcer should ever become separated from her mount, she need not worry. A Skyborn Enforcer is constantly blessed with the effects of Feather Fall.

Windborn Mount (Ex):
At 1st level, all Skyborn Enforcers are given an especially intelligent mount. They may choose from <Insert Mounts Here>.

Solid. I'd recommend Giant Celestial Owls or something, since you said you liked owls (or at least that they would be appropriate).

Mounted Archery (Ex):
At 2nd level, a Skyborn Enforcer gains the Mounted Archery feat. This also applies to any firearm.

I might recommend just making this a prerequisite, or adding another feature at second level. A single, pre-chosen bonus feat does not inspire much.

Bonded Travelers (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Skyborn Enforcer has become an expert at riding their mount. Whenever a Skyborn Enforcer is riding their mount, they gain a +4 to both Handle Animal and Ride. In addition, a Skyborn Enforcer may take 10 on these checks, even when under stress.

Decent and useful.

Improved Grapple (Ex):
At 4th level, a Skyborn Enforcer gains the improved Grapple feat.

I stand by what I said about only gaining a predecided bonus feat as a feature. Also, this is the sort of thing that, if going into a grapple-heavy class, a character is bound to have anyway.

Fly-By Pick Up (Ex):
At 5th level, a Skyborn Enforcer that is in a free fall can mount their bird without making any checks. In addition, a Skyborn Enforcer’s mount may also retrieve any manacled creature that the enforcer has apprehended without making any checks.

Now this ability I like. It's evocative. What if the grappling focus was centered on the mount, rather than the character? A giant owl who takes no penalties to grappling while flying, and can even learn to slap manacles on a target and carry them off, would be not only pretty awesome but allow the character to focus on ranged combat instead of the jack-of-all-trades approach.

Hog-Tie (Ex):
At 6th level, a Skyborn Enforcer gains the Justiciar's Hog-Tie class feature.

(Plus can you imagine being able to command your giant celestial owl to hog tie criminals? I'd take the class just for that.)

Precise Landing (Ex):
At 7th level, a Skyborn Enforcer has dropped from their mount thousands of times. You can choose where you land upon leaping from your airborne mount.

The problem is that this doesn't really mean anything, mechanically. I imagine it's meant so that you can land on criminals and whatnot and take advantage of Grappling Dismount, but it needs some more limitations. Just being able to land wherever I choose could lead to some really weird situations.

Grappling Dismount (Ex):
At 8th level, if a Skyborn Enforcer drops from their mount from a distance greater than 10ft, initiate a grapple check against an opponent that occupies their target square. The target receives a reflex save of 10 + the Skyborn Enforcer's class level + their Str modifier.

This is fun, but grappling is already a pain, it doesn't need another die roll on top of it. Plus, this is going to be a very boradcasted grapple, given you're always Feather Falling. :smalltongue:

Battle Fall (Su):
At 9th level, while falling, you may make one ranged attack before landing.

Should probably be "as an immediate action." It's also not much of a 9th level ability. We should be building up to the capstone by this point.

Summon Mount (Su):
At 10th level, you can summon your mount as a swift action. This functions as a conjuration spell and can be used anywhere that touches the astral plane.

It's... an alright capstone. Personally, I would've put this one earlier in the class and allow you to summon your mount as an immediate action (for cool rescues from falling off of airships and whatever). Even beyond that, though, it could use a boost. I couldn't say what, yet.

It also has some rules vagueness. You should note where the mount appears, and probably say something like "this is a Conjuration effect" rather than "functions as a conjuration spell."

Overall, I like what you've got and you did a solid job. That said, it suffers from lack of focus and some underwhelming benefits. I hope that helps!

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 01:32 PM
(Plus can you imagine being able to command your giant celestial owl to hog tie criminals? I'd take the class just for that.)

Strangely enough I have a class which can command their giant bird mount to hog tie people... eventually.

Xallace
2015-06-18, 01:36 PM
Strangely enough I have a class which can command their giant bird mount to hog tie people... eventually.

It's a thing I didn't even know I wanted.

Also, if you do go the route of letting your bird grapple people, some abilities that let you combo your ranged attacks with your bird's melee would really knit the class together nicely. Ranged pins that make it easier for your bird to swoop in, or training your mount to more aggressively go for target who you've stuck some arrows in, etc.

Edit: I also just noticed it requires the Knight's Code class feature, but doesn't do anything to advance the knight's (or paladin's?) abilities.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-18, 02:28 PM
The main problem I'm seeing so far, though, is that they end up being a little all over the place, and few of those disparate features really gel together.
Maybe I should refocus a little. I'd like to primarily allow this class to be a melee fighter that uses the mount as a quick means of transportation. The world they're in uses sky travel as a main means of moving about. However, I'd like them to be good at boarding a vessel and immediately capitalize on that.

Solid. I'd recommend Giant Celestial Owls or something, since you said you liked owls (or at least that they would be appropriate).
Owls are good. I'd like a little variety too though.

I might recommend just making this a prerequisite, or adding another feature at second level. A single, pre-chosen bonus feat does not inspire much.
I'm going to drop this entirely.

I stand by what I said about only gaining a predecided bonus feat as a feature. Also, this is the sort of thing that, if going into a grapple-heavy class, a character is bound to have anyway.
I think I will make it a pre-req when I drop Knight's code.

Now this ability I like. It's evocative. What if the grappling focus was centered on the mount, rather than the character?
I like this, but I'd prefer to not encourage the enforcers to use their mounts in melee combat.

The problem is that this doesn't really mean anything, mechanically. I imagine it's meant so that you can land on criminals and whatnot and take advantage of Grappling Dismount, but it needs some more limitations. Just being able to land wherever I choose could lead to some really weird situations.
What would you suggest doing with it? I would like them to not worry about missing their mark. Especially since that could mean a really long fall.

This is fun, but grappling is already a pain, it doesn't need another die roll on top of it. Plus, this is going to be a very boradcasted grapple, given you're always Feather Falling. :smalltongue:
I don't think it's too televised? You're still moving at 60ft/round right? That's faster than a bull rush I'm pretty sure.

As for an extra roll, how about eliminating some rolls. Make the reflex save or be pinned. Quick to resolve and it brings the power level of the class a little higher.

Should probably be "as an immediate action." It's also not much of a 9th level ability. We should be building up to the capstone by this point.
Perhaps this is no good. I can toss it. What would you suggest replacing it with? If I made Summon Mount the 9th level ability, perhaps there is a better capstone?

It also has some rules vagueness. You should note where the mount appears, and probably say something like "this is a Conjuration effect" rather than "functions as a conjuration spell."
I can do this.

Overall, I like what you've got and you did a solid job. That said, it suffers from lack of focus and some underwhelming benefits. I hope that helps!
Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it.

I too would like to see this.

Edit: I also just noticed it requires the Knight's Code class feature, but doesn't do anything to advance the knight's (or paladin's?) abilities.
Yeah. I was just about to drop this.

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 02:37 PM
I too would like to see this.

Tall Tale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?326799-Tall-Tale-%283-5-Base-Class-Contest-Winner-PEACH%29) take Handle Animal and/or Ride and Use Rope. Storied Use Rope lets you tie people up in 2 full round actions instead of 1 minute (or 1 full round if they're helpless), Storied Handle Animal or Ride allows you to share the benefits of Use Rope with your Animal Companion or Mount. Also with Greater HA/Ride plus Least Use Rope you have an owl which is proficient in the use of whips, nets, and lassos though I'm not sure you could convince the DM it can effectively hold them to wield them (by Storied Use Rope all it needs to do is hold a rope to animate it).

Tall Tale is always doing weird stuff I didn't plan.

LoyalPaladin
2015-09-01, 01:15 PM
Changes

Added
Combat Style line of feats.
Added additional affect to Precise Landing.
Added Skyborn Assault.

Removed
Odd useless class features.
Improved Grapple prerequisite.

Extra Anchovies
2015-09-01, 03:54 PM
Maybe I'm just in a "jump off a bird and crush somebody" mood today, but this class is really cool. If you ever run a PbP/skype/hangouts/roll20/whatever game in your homebrew setting, I might give this one a try.

Kind of odd that you lose the combat style when unarmored. Personally I think it should be usable in any sort of armor; this class is for heavily-armored dudes jumping off giant eagles and landing on people.

Wrestling combat style gives Improved Grapple at both 2nd and 4th.

Gunslinging probably shouldn't give Precise Shot and 2nd; any archer will already have Precise Shot by 7th level, and archery is almost always something you build for from 1st level. Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, and Improved Precise Shot are all good though. Maybe the 2nd level feat could be

Precise Landing might get a little weird if you target the center square of a Huge or larger creature, because moving them 5 feet still leaves you in their space.

Skyborn Assault is awesome. I was going to suggest adding "make one ranged attack while falling" and "grapple somebody you land on" to Precise Landing even before I read that ability.

LoyalPaladin
2015-09-01, 04:18 PM
Maybe I'm just in a "jump of a bird and crush somebody" mood today, but this class is really cool. If you ever run a PbP/skype/hangouts/roll20/whatever game in your homebrew setting, I might give this one a try.
Hooray! That is miles better than the original reaction! I do plan on running a PbP campaign once I get it all ironed out. Preferably once RPGBard (http://rpgbard.com/) releases.

Kind of odd that you lose the combat style when unarmored. Personally I think it should be usable in any sort of armor; this class is for heavily-armored dudes jumping off giant eagles and landing on people.
Hmmm. I'll drop the armor requirements. That way I can have nimble and heavy contenders. I just have an anti-dex stigma...

Wrestling combat style gives Improved Grapple at both 2nd and 4th.
Woops. Scorpion's Grasp was supposed to be the 4th level feat.

Gunslinging probably shouldn't give Precise Shot and 2nd; any archer will already have Precise Shot by 7th level, and archery is almost always something you build for from 1st level. Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, and Improved Precise Shot are all good though. Maybe the 2nd level feat could be
Does precise shot work for Gunslingers? I'm a little under educated on the PF gunslinger.

Precise Landing might get a little weird if you target the center square of a Huge or larger creature, because moving them 5 feet still leaves you in their space.
Hmm... I'll work on this. Suggested wording?

Skyborn Assault is awesome. I was going to suggest adding "make one ranged attack while falling" and "grapple somebody you land on" to Precise Landing even before I read that ability.
I'm ecstatic that you like it! This was my worst received class. This, and the Lifewarden...