PDA

View Full Version : What level would Twilight Sparkle be

AngelOfFaith
2015-06-18, 12:06 PM
Remembering a thread about putting a certain cold inclined queen into a d&d frame I thought I'd waste some of your time with a similar post.

Following tradition I'm going to try and figure out Twilight Sparkle's level, maybe feats and general power level based on what she has done from a d&d 3.5 perspective. In an attempt to have fun? To see if everything can be transported into a d&d setting? I don't know.

So:
Constant book reading and apparently arcane spells makes her a wizard least in her beginning levels.
She teaches others how to create potions therefore having Brew Potion herself.
Almost constant teleportation makes me think she took a reserve feat - Dimensional Jaunt and she has at least a 6th level teleportation spell prepared at all times judging by the distance traveled.
Frequent mental manipulation of large amounts of items of varying mass - Telekinesis 5th lvl Transmutation.
Change of appearance of others through conjuration - Minor Creation 4th lvl Conjuration or possibly Screen - 8th lvl Illusion.
Wind manipulation - if not Control Weather then at least Gust of Wind - 2nd lvl Evocation.
Make a particular species of creatures change their eating habits in a radius around her - either custom mass transmutation spell or a modified version of Antipathy - 8th level Enchantment.
Return lost memories to others after them being affected by unknown magic - either Dispell Magic or Remove Curse - 3rd or 4th lvl Abjuration.
Make an entire village covet a common everyday item - Sympathy - 8th lvl Enchantment.
Transform herself and others into entirely different species for a limited period of time - Polymorph any object - 8th lvl Transmutation.
Protect herself with force spheres on the move - Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere - 8th lvl Evocation
Replicate dark and corrupting magic of other spellcasters - unknown Necromancy/Transmutation spells.

She is the symbol of magic on her plane.
She is a conduit of ancient magic rituals - maybe circle or ritual magic.
She completes a long lost spell that changes the destinies of others in order for her to transcend her original creature type - the capstone of a prestige class maybe?.
She temporarily becomes the focal point of magical powers of presumed demigoddeses... Spellfire? Maybe not...
She is able to either memorize or cast a spell from a scroll that sends her back several days into the past where she interacts with the past version of herself for a over a minute... I don't know - even epic level spells don't replicate such an effect.

So I have to conclude that Twilight Sparkle is either just a 17 lvl wizard possibly specializing in Conjuration with Illusion and Necromancy potentially banned... or she is magic made incarnate, destined to ascend into the goddess of magic.
But I might be dramatizing things a bit. Input will be appreciated.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 12:15 PM
If this were Pathfinder, I'd build her using the Spheres of Power third-party magic system as a low/mid-level Incanter focused on the Warp (teleportation) and Telekinesis spheres, maybe with a bit of Alteration on the side.

There's no way she's a 17th-level wizard. I'm sure there are better ways to replicate the effects you listed than 8th-level spells, but I can't think of any offhand.

marphod
2015-06-18, 02:15 PM
She's whatever level is required by Plot. Some days, she's Epic, other days, middling single digits.

Her base race (Unicorn) is a Medium sized quadruped, with Mage Hand at will, +4 to Int, -2 Wis, and bonuses to magic with other bonuses. Probably LA +1.

Add in Alicorn-Born race-replacement/template.

I'd put her base class as Archivist, rather than Wizard, with some PrCs that grant her the Knowledge and Magic domains. Something akin to the Dragon Prophesier feat chain (Alicon Prophesier), with bonus Action Points when in a prophetic state. PrC capstone ability that lets her cast Miracle as a Spell-Like Ability. Dragonic Leadership (Spike). Acquire Familiar (Owluiscous). Racial feet granting her Dim Door a limited number of times per day (and the ability to burn action points to get more uses).

Craft Wonderous Items. A low self-confidence flaw. a poorly-socialized flaw. High will save (tolerates Pinkie Pie), low Reflex (still gets pied).

OldTrees1
2015-06-18, 02:32 PM
Here is a 4E 1st/6th+ level representation of Twilight Sparkle and her friends.
Friendship is Dragons (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/)

Details are scarce since it is in a Webcomic D&D Campaign format.

Adam Meyers
2015-06-18, 05:17 PM
If this were Pathfinder, I'd build her using the Spheres of Power third-party magic system as a low/mid-level Incanter focused on the Warp (teleportation) and Telekinesis spheres, maybe with a bit of Alteration on the side.

There's no way she's a 17th-level wizard. I'm sure there are better ways to replicate the effects you listed than 8th-level spells, but I can't think of any offhand.

This made my day.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 05:43 PM
This made my day.

I'm glad! Despite the occasional quibble I have with the system, Spheres of Power is overall really nice. Probably the best part of it is that a sphere-wielder can start doing the thing that they're meant to do from very early on (the example I listed would probably come online about 15 levels earlier than OP's Wizard 17). It's a great system for adapting characters in fiction, since their magical abilities tend to be more tightly focused than the standard d20 system wizard's.

Here is a 4E 1st/6th+ level representation of Twilight Sparkle and her friends.
Friendship is Dragons (http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/)

Details are scarce since it is in a Webcomic D&D Campaign format.

Thanks for linking that, this is a really fun webcomic for someone who's familiar with both source materials.

Rubik
2015-06-18, 05:51 PM
She's not a wizard unless she uses metamagic to add Still Spell and Silent Spell to everything she's got and somehow manages to cast everything without preparation (not that that's impossible, but still).

I'd say she's actually a higher level StP erudite that teleports quite a bit and with Telekinesis as a racial ability. (Far Hand is a no, as she can lift WAAAAAY more than 5 lbs -- a number of tons, at the very least.)

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 12:14 AM
Wasn't there a D20 version of the source material? I'm sad to say that's as much help as I can be. (Ponyfinder?)

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-19, 12:27 AM
Wasn't there a D20 version of the source material? I'm sad to say that's as much help as I can be. (Ponyfinder?)

Ponyfinder (it's a Pathfinder setting) mostly concerns itself with fluff, but it does have some mechanical stuff (races, and some feats that are only situationally worthwhile). The unicorn magic in that book only covers the basic stuff (more akin to what Rarity's capable of).

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 10:22 PM
Ponyfinder (it's a Pathfinder setting) mostly concerns itself with fluff, but it does have some mechanical stuff (races, and some feats that are only situationally worthwhile). The unicorn magic in that book only covers the basic stuff (more akin to what Rarity's capable of).

I hope that was directed at the forums in general, as I am not a Brony.