PDA

View Full Version : The Secret World: Is everything you do crude, clumsy and boorish?

Pronounceable
2015-06-18, 01:59 PM
https://worldsojourner.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/inbeda.png
A gentleman from hell dimensions enjoying some earthly delights.
As all of you who'll be looking at this thread likely already knows, TSW is a MMORPG about lovecraftian horrors descending upon a modern world controlled by shadowy omnipresent secret societies. And when I say MMORPG, I mean single player action adventure game with multiplay bits stapled here and there. It's probably the best game setting and also among the greatest single player action adventure games you'll ever play.

More relevantly, the "ultimate pack" is on Steam sale at the moment. This ultimate pack is the sum of everything they've made until now, which is a pretty gigantic game all told, and was made to entice new people with a gigantic discount. The Steam discount is adding on top of that for a double whammy. The result is a stupidly low price for the amount of entertainment it offers.

Anyone who has the slightest interest in cool stories needs to buy while Steam sale is going and play it. Both for acquiring a nice game with bestest story and setting, and also for ripping off Funcom (whose every deed is crude, clumsy and boorish). FC is a terrible company that makes inexplicably great games and their games should be played by players of cool games with the least amount of money paid to them.
Also if you're suspicious about the word of a random stranger on the net, you can buy the basic game for some pocket money.

But remember: this is functionally a single player game. You buy new DLC as they appear and play for the story, then leave until more of it appears. There's no reason to bother yourself with pointless "endgame" grind for pink pixels. Unless you really like that sort of thing for some reason.
Now that the public announcement is over, here's some banter. First "season" of TSW is finally done. The first major arc has wrapped up with I11 and it ended with a bang. Tell me what you think, I know there's at least a few of you here who plays.

Now we're in the big leagues. Meeting with Angels, getting noticed by Sam and Lily, dealing with John... That's a lot of cosmic attention for a newb to Secret World. Next destination is very likely to be Antarctica but it's probably gonna be a short visit before we get to Congo. Many signs point to Congo being our next big zone.

To be frank, I'm not very happy with the ending of Tokyo. We should've wrapped up something (no, Lilith doesn't count as we didn't wrap her up) but it ended with more cliffhangers and mysteries. I'm hoping we won't have a Lost syndrome on our hands. They'd been doing well until now, all previous zones ended with something getting done (Beaumont, Atenists, Mara) but Tokyo is just a ball of teasing and cliffhangers, you'd expect a more satisfactory conclusion to the first big arc. There's only so far you can go with piling on more and more plot threads. Not only the whole Filth apocalypse thing left unresolved, we got Samael gunning for us, Angels have descended to deus it up, John decided to move to greener pastures, we're on a collision course with Morninglight and Congo Dreamer, plus I know the Purple Scum is up to something.

NeoVid
2015-06-18, 09:37 PM
But remember: this is functionally a single player game. You buy new DLC as they appear and play for the story, then leave until more of it appears. There's no reason to bother yourself with pointless "endgame" grind for pink pixels. Unless you really like that sort of thing for some reason.

True about the single-player point, but keep in mind that what group missions there are in TSW are some of the best designed I've ever played in my years as an MMO fanatic, and they have storylines and Lore just as good as the rest of the game's writing. They're also easier than many solo missions, and the gear from them is so good it makes the rest of the game a breeze. When you're playing a game for the writing, you want combat to waste as little of your time as possible.

Magentawolf
2015-06-18, 09:40 PM
I remember looking at this when it first came out, and it was moderately dreadful. Has it improved since then?

NeoVid
2015-06-19, 02:04 AM
Even people who love the game won't dispute that it's got moderately dreadful problems, but it depends on what was an issue for you. The biggest thing that tended to drive away new players, early-game combat, got a massive revamp a couple of updates ago.

Pronounceable
2015-06-19, 11:48 AM
There's never been anything dreadful about this game. It has bad combat animations, dumb puzzle solutions, overcomplicated systems, technical problems and bad stealth. But not a single gram of dreadful anywhere.