PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [P.F] What are some good spells to metamagic?

RPGaddict28
2015-06-18, 03:21 PM
I'm playing a metamagic blaster Arcanist, and I've never done much with metamagic in Pathfinder. I know what some of the good metamagics are, but I don't know what are good spells to use metamagics. Any recommendations?

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 03:23 PM
If you're blasting, go for things that allow neither saving throws nor spell resistance. The Orb of X group is one of the best sets for this.

Elricaltovilla
2015-06-18, 03:26 PM
If you're blasting, go for things that allow neither saving throws nor spell resistance. The Orb of X group is one of the best sets for this.

Dewd, Pathfinder. There are no orb of x spells. Snowball and Gyeser are two of the best metamagic friendly blasting spells in PF.

Snowbluff
2015-06-18, 03:30 PM
Dewd, Pathfinder. There are no orb of x spells. Snowball and Gyeser are two of the best metamagic friendly blasting spells in PF.

Yeah, Snowball is mini orb with better scaling with MM. Such Balance. :smalltongue:

I suggest using Persistent Plane Shift. SoL that they have to roll twice to avoid, but it's not blasting.

I would also suggest Sacred Geometry, because I'm a heartless monster and blasting isn't really good otherwise. A lot of fights with my oracle lately have been "boy, am I lazy. I have almost every 6th level and below spell available, but I'll just use Maximized Chain Lightning. Yawn."

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-18, 03:34 PM

Thanks for catching that. Somehow I interpreted P.F as 3.P (probably the "." in the middle).

So yeah. Snowball. Be sure to grab Energy Substitution by the time your DM wises up and starts throwing cold-immune creatures at the party.

Snowbluff
2015-06-18, 03:38 PM
Be sure to grab Energy Substitution by the time your DM wises up and starts throwing cold-immune creatures at the party.
Beeseecher.
Actually, I think that feat was omitted in PF. I thought there was an equivalent somewhere, but I can't find it.

Mindtour
2015-06-18, 03:53 PM
Beeseecher.
Actually, I think that feat was omitted in PF. I thought there was an equivalent somewhere, but I can't find it.

Elemental admixture? I have too many editions/games in my head.

Snowbluff
2015-06-18, 03:55 PM
Elemental admixture? I have too many editions/games in my head.

Here we go. Admixture is a wizard subschool that can help. (www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/evocation/admixture)

IZ42
2015-06-18, 04:11 PM
Elemental Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/elemental-spell-metamagic) does I think what you're after.

Pex
2015-06-18, 06:41 PM
Toppling Spell used on Magic Missile to trip 5 enemies at once from far away for a 2nd level spell slot.

atemu1234
2015-06-19, 12:17 AM
Toppling Spell used on Magic Missile to trip 5 enemies at once from far away for a 2nd level spell slot.

A good combo, to be sure.

IZ42
2015-06-19, 12:21 AM

Combine with magical lineage (Magic Missile) to make it a 1st level spell again.

Pex
2015-06-19, 08:38 PM
Combine with magical lineage (Magic Missile) to make it a 1st level spell again.

Oooh! Totally stealing this idea. One day I want to play a Sorcerer and was intending to take Toppling Spell to use with Magic Missile, but it would be 5th level or so because Magic Missile isn't worth knowing and casting until you can get 3 of them. However, with this trait it might be worth knowing the spell and having the feat at 1st level because even though it's only one missile it has a trip attempt along with it which can be quite handy.

Is there clarification somewhere that if you hit an opponent with more than one Toppling Magic Missile from that one casting you only attempt to trip once total and not once per missile? If it's a trip per missile that's quite potent, but it does seem off to be valid. It wouldn't bother me if it is just one attempt total for that opponent, but I know this would be an issue with my group should I do this and would prefer some official solution.

Snowbluff
2015-06-19, 08:47 PM
Oooh! Totally stealing this idea. One day I want to play a Sorcerer and was intending to take Toppling Spell to use with Magic Missile, but it would be 5th level or so because Magic Missile isn't worth knowing and casting until you can get 3 of them. However, with this trait it might be worth knowing the spell and having the feat at 1st level because even though it's only one missile it has a trip attempt along with it which can be quite handy.
I actually did this. My DM was annoyed with the fights being cakewalks at level 5. XD

I had a giant frog animal companion, too.

Is there clarification somewhere that if you hit an opponent with more than one Toppling Magic Missile from that one casting you only attempt to trip once total and not once per missile? If it's a trip per missile that's quite potent, but it does seem off to be valid. It wouldn't bother me if it is just one attempt total for that opponent, but I know this would be an issue with my group should I do this and would prefer some official solution.

Hmm... it says "if," so I lead to only once. HOWEVER, don't tell your DM this. :smallwink: