PDA

View Full Version : Working on a henchman NPC

XagencyX
2007-04-26, 01:14 PM
And I was wondering if anyone would critique my build, maybe suggest some improvement, or offer criticism. It's a 9th level chain trip build, so any help would be much appreciated, as I've never done this particular build before. I'm trying to set it up so that the henchman will be able to fight defensively, have a massive AC, and a large threat range.

Human
Lvl 2 Swashbuckler, lvl 4 Fighter, lvl 2 Duelist, lvl 1 Monk.
Str 10
Dex 18
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 10

Feats:
Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Improved Combat Expertise, Daring Warrior.

Class Abilities:
Weapon Finesse, Grace, Canny Defense, Improved Reaction, Improved Grapple, Flurry, Unarmed Strike.

I haven't done any equipment yet, and he'll have Enlarge Person and Permanency cast on him by the BBEG. So any suggestions?

Also, the order of leveling is:

Swashbuckler, Swashbuckler, Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Duelist, Duelist, Monk.

Tellah
2007-04-26, 06:34 PM
A tripping build needs a lot more strength than that to win his opposed rolls. Swashbuckler is a nearly worthless class unless you're trying to add INT to damage at level 3, since weapon finesse and grace aren't any better than what you'd get with fighter levels. Monk doesn't really add much at all to that build. Dodge is a weak way to get AC, and Mobility is only a stepping stone to Spring Attack, which isn't stellar to begin with.

All in all, you'd be better off building a straight fighter with higher strength, wearing full plate and using an enchanted buckler if you really want the AC.

I'd use these stats:
Str 18
Dex 16
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 10

Before I look into a really optimal build, though, which books are you using?

XagencyX
2007-04-26, 07:12 PM
I'll have access to all Core and Core II, Complete Scoundrel, Warrior, Psionics, Mage, Divine, Arcane, and Adventurer. I'll also have the Expanded Psionics Handbook, and a handful of others.

I was using the monk for AC, as I was wanting him to be a primary henchman, with a number of flunkies to take pot shots at the party once he did his trip thing. Once the flunkies were taken care of, or he took a decent amount of damage, I was going to have him use a one shot teleport item to get out of harm's way.

Also, only one of the players actually has a strength score worth mentioning. One player is an skirmishing archer, one is a cleric/archer, and one is a wizard/rogue. The fourth is a knight/paladin/kensai, with a significant Str and Con, so he'll be the main threat to the henchman.

Matthew
2007-04-27, 05:25 PM
Hey, Spiked Chain Cheese Whiz. I have to agree with Tellah, you would probably be better off with a Fighter 9 in this case, though a Knight 9 might make an even better Core Henchman (depending on Alignment).

Tellah
2007-04-27, 05:39 PM
Ooh, knight is a really good call for the difficult terrain ability.

XagencyX
2007-04-29, 10:42 AM
Alright, cool. Thanks for the tips. :D

Arbitrarity
2007-04-29, 10:53 AM
Maybe half-giant, though watch out with that, as +1 LA is annoying, and -2 dex means fewer AOO's. But +5 on trip checks is nice.