PDA

View Full Version : Acolyte Question

Ardantis
2015-06-18, 09:37 PM
In the acolyte background there is a bond involving getting revenge on the wrongheaded temple which threw you out as a heretic.

Could that be read as you *are* a heretic? Does the character perspective need to be the truth? A heretic would believe that the interpretation he or she holds is the truth, even if it isn't, and would continue to venerate his version of the religion's or god's tenets.

Does this make sense or is the PC always wronged by the temple in this bond?

Gurka
2015-06-18, 09:48 PM
It's your background. Read it as you will. I can be either, neither... heck, it could be both... That the Acolyte is wrong-headed in his belief (and so is actually a heretic), yet was excommunicated from his temple for an unrelated (and unjust) cause.

Alerad
2015-06-18, 10:16 PM
I find it fascinating to allow characters and NPCs to share completely different beliefs. There doesn't need to be only one truth. Or maybe just the characters don't know it yet.

I think it's completely reasonable to assume that every character, especially religious ones, are correct in their own belief. If this belief is the truth (if there IS one single truth) is a different question, and can be the base for an interesting quest :smallsmile:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-19, 01:12 AM
Backgrounds are meant to be flexible, and the PHB does offer a 'create your own' option.

If you want to be a 'heretic', I would say you could reasonably take any of the following as a 'base': acolyte (if you genuinely believe you are right), charlatan (if you know you're wrong), hermit (you've gone off alone to follow your own interpretation of the scripture), outlander (i.e. exile) or sage (as in secular/atheist scholar).

MrStabby
2015-06-19, 06:21 AM
Backgrounds are meant to be flexible, and the PHB does offer a 'create your own' option.

If you want to be a 'heretic', I would say you could reasonably take any of the following as a 'base': acolyte (if you genuinely believe you are right), charlatan (if you know you're wrong), hermit (you've gone off alone to follow your own interpretation of the scripture), outlander (i.e. exile) or sage (as in secular/atheist scholar).

I would say that Sage could equally well be a Theologian who is devout but has a different interpretation of religious texts. Or a character who in their pursuit of faith has read a lot of texts not considered cannon by the rest of their church.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-19, 06:39 AM
I would say that Sage could equally well be a Theologian who is devout but has a different interpretation of religious texts. Or a character who in their pursuit of faith has read a lot of texts not considered cannon by the rest of their church.

"Raving Jim's scrolls are totally non-canon! Word of God confirms it!"
"Oh really? Shall I cast Commune and check?"
"Dude, give it up already. You'll only get the same answer they gave you on twitter."
"Never! I will die for my ship! #Helmthander4lyf!!"

Ardantis
2015-06-19, 06:48 AM
An Outlander heretic- now that's an idea!

An Acolyte knows he's right... That makes sense. It also gives the background a distinct flavor that stays with whichever interpretation or spin I give it.

Thanks.

MrStabby
2015-06-19, 08:56 AM
"Raving Jim's scrolls are totally non-canon! Word of God confirms it!"
"Oh really? Shall I cast Commune and check?"
"Dude, give it up already. You'll only get the same answer they gave you on twitter."
"Never! I will die for my ship! #Helmthander4lyf!!"

This made me giggle much more than is healthy.